Unpopular Opinions about anime/manga -

Safir

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think Hayao Miyazaki whores and making the Japanese anime industry bend over to the west more will destroy anime.

Anime didn't get here because it was all about fluffy cloud filled sunny days in a verdant forest where everyday is peaceful and no wrong can happen.
Certainly nothing bad ever happens in Miyazaki movies.

and wanting anime to be governed by "Hayao Miyazaki" standards is the poison that will kill the industry out in Japan
Because a guy who's been lauded for decades for his unique, inimitable style is some sort of trendsetter.

Anime didn't get here because it was all about fluffy cloud filled sunny days in a verdant forest where everyday is peaceful and no wrong can happen.
pic related
PM_1.png
princess06.jpg
source.gif
I don't even disagree much with the general premise. I come from a (now dead, S) culture which thought
- animation is for children
- children can't hold attention for more than 10 minutes
- children are dumb and all their problems are bullshit
- so every 10 minutes, there should be a musical break with adult faggots prancing around and ridiculing child characters' drama.

My first animu was a space, or perhaps a giant robot, show, in which a green-haired woman got shot in the tit and died. That was the highlight of my early childhood media consumption, because getting shot in the tit was inherently hilarious, and died? Whoa, people die when they are killed! That was new.

But arguing that Miyazaki somehow falls short of that is exceptional.

I actually like a select series of pretrend or cornerstone prime moe like DiGi Charat, Galaxy Angel, Lucky Star and Clannad.
Yay, watching Downs children cry, truly the pinnacle of art.
Monkey Punch would agree with you. He liked the film, but he thought it wasn't really Lupin. As he said, "I wouldn't have had him rescue the girl, I would have had him rape her!"
What a moralfaggot that Miyazaki is, thinking rape is bad.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net

Because a guy who's been lauded for decades for his unique, inimitable style is some sort of trendsetter.

pic related
View attachment 1179897
View attachment 1179898
View attachment 1179904
I don't even disagree much with the general premise. I come from a (now dead, S) culture which thought
- so every 10 minutes, there should be a musical break with adult faggots prancing around and ridiculing child characters' drama.

My first animu was a space, or perhaps a giant robot, show, in which a green-haired woman got shot in the tit and died. That was the highlight of my early childhood media consumption, because getting shot in the tit was inherently hilarious, and died? Whoa, people die when they are killed! That was new.

Plenty of old media had some fucked up scenes, including Disney films. The general argument against Miyazaki is that his films in general never really try to say anything to stir the viewer, being either very pure or having basic bitch morals.

That doesn't mean he is bad, but if the anime industry would have followed his footsteps then you'd have it rivaling modern Disney in being vapid.

• Feels
Reactions: I Love Beef

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Reading this reminded me so much of my childhood and the parents I had. That was the environment that made anime as tantalizing as it was against everything else.

I'm only surprised people aren't pissing on Monkey Punch's grave for his views, yet.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Plenty of old media had some fucked up scenes, including Disney films. The general argument against Miyazaki is that his films in general never really try to say anything to stir the viewer, being either very pure or having basic bitch morals.

That doesn't mean he is bad, but if the anime industry would have followed his footsteps then you'd have it rivaling modern Disney in being vapid.
Have you seen Future Boy Conan, though?

I think Isao Takahata was probably more brilliant than Miyazaki was - in the span of a decade and a half he did Little Norse Prince, the WMT trio of Heidi, Marco and Anne, Goshu the Cellist, Jarinko Chie... all masterpieces.

I Love Beef

Bell peppers and bee- HEY WAIT A SEC WHERE'S THE B
kiwifarms.net

pic related
View attachment 1179897
View attachment 1179898
View attachment 1179904

Wow did I strike a nerve of yours.

I didn't even say that "if you like Hayao Miyazaki's stuff you're a faggot". I like Miyazaki's work. Problem is that not only are his more diehard fans and praising critics problematic, his mortality and weight of his age along with his almost preachy levels of saying what his work communicates myriad times better with the subtlety of a falling safe to where it's almost as if it's virtue signaling is not only annoying and self feeding hand biting at times, but also gives the aforementioned former to take what he says to heart like doctrine, not to even mention how at times simpleminded he can be.

Miyazaki has great points about environmentalism and finding spiritual harmony, but he shares shortsightedness with creators like Suda 51 and Hideo Kojima in that he also has to realize that life outside of Japan isn't all that simple cut and dry and that his moral soapboxing shows that he is not aware of other problems in life, including how not everything can be merely blamed on technology, there are plenty of social problems he fails to address in his work and his grandstanding, and back to me, there will be plenty of people who want to take advantage of his old senile ass and use his influence for selfish and shortsighted purposes, specifically his artistic legacy. Miyazaki was badass in that he stood his ground and told off Harvey Weinstein that his idea of censoring and cutting down anime was absolute shit when Ghibli's work was to come out west back in the 1990s, but these days, Miyazaki's getting older and losing that edge of his. He doesn't realize that while he has a point in how his nation's aspiring anime and manga creators need to go outside and learn to be human beings, some of his overseas fans overlook that advice and are outright engaging in thoughtcrime policing, moral panic stirring virtue signaling, and encouraging people to be so insular and self absorbed about their sexuality to the point where they'll mutilate their genitals and body chemistry to encouraging children to be sexually active with drag queens, while playing cherrypicking morality squad with his artistic medium to draw attention away from them, and inhabit news sources and distributors like some pathetic nerd cabal to influence the media and flow of regulation to their ends. This doesn't even include how he is practically in the dark about the animation industry out here in the States since the 90s, and how everything is beginning to look very pear shaped on that end.

I respect the man and what he did, but he needs to seriously get to retiring and trusting the next generation with handling the future and all of its unpredictability, and acknowledging that he can't fight every battle nor will he always have say in things, and especially if it's a world beyond his own. He's like a tired old grandpa who really needs a bottle of alcohol and needs to spend his time enjoying the finer things in life instead of stressing out.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Isn't Miyazaki on record saying/lamenting that making female protagonists is a double-edged sword because they get Rule 34'd as soon as they're revealed?

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
Monkey Punch would agree with you. He liked the film, but he thought it wasn't really Lupin. As he said, "I wouldn't have had him rescue the girl, I would have had him rape her!"

The definitive Lupin film is Mystery of Mamo.
I should point out that Lupin's personality in the animations overall has gotten less nasty than in Monkey Punch's comics for awhile now. Like, he's more of a goofy lecher, not Alex from A Clockwork Orange.

jellycar

Now featuring 100% more Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net
Miyazaki is an aviation freak tho. Doesn't he support the old regime? I feel like he was asked about comfort women once.
I always thought he was pro militant

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Miyazaki is an aviation freak tho. Doesn't he support the old regime? I feel like he was asked about comfort women once.
I always thought he was pro militant
He was a Communist back in the 70s and early 80s and then decided he didn't really believe in it. I don't know what he is now, but I think he just really likes tanks.

Trombonista

Uh-oh. Buckle up, bitch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd probably dislike Judai/Jaden if it weren't for KENN. To think that was his first role.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
I miss the power of friendship being a thing in anime. It was corny, cringy, and cliche, but my god was it better than the angsty, edgy, misanthropic, nihilistic shit we have in anime nowadays.
That is honestly why I enjoyed Mob Psycho 100 so much as while it is an action comedy series it has a lot of heart to it and handles friendship really well to the point it is very optimistic and wholesome.