Unpopular Opinions about anime/manga -

thegooddoctor

kiwifarms.net
FMA Brotherhood Isn't a Masterpiece, Its simply just very good/great and the shows extraordinary hype while not unfounded; has been ridiculously blown out of proportion from the Weebs at the My Anime list Community claiming It as the Greatest Of All time. Cmon, Its certainly great In places, But their are. considerable flaws and far better more consistent animes out there for It to be the pinnacle of ALL shonen Anime.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

Overcast

Dat Booty Tho
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
FMA Brotherhood Isn't a Masterpiece, Its simply just very good/great and the shows extraordinary hype while not unfounded; has been ridiculously blown out of proportion from the Weebs at the My Anime list Community claiming It as the Greatest Of All time. Cmon, Its certainly great In places, But their are. considerable flaws and far better more consistent animes out there for It to be the pinnacle of ALL shonen Anime.
My only real complaint I have about it is that they didn’t keep that humorous and heartwarming apple pie conversation Ed and Al had in the manga.

• Feels
Reactions: thegooddoctor

thegooddoctor

kiwifarms.net
My only real complaint I have about it is that they didn’t keep that humorous and heartwarming apple pie conversation Ed and Al had in the manga.
I agree, Overall dont get me wrong I still think its a great show, like 7/possibly 8 out of 10, but I don't just herald the show to such A high standard that so many other fans do to the point of it being one of the best shows ever made, period. It Isn't, simply there are notable flaws with the production. Notably the main characters not being particularly deep and very one note in their personalities, the anime excuses this by simply having all the characters entirely defined by their 'tragic' backstory, and while certainly done well and these characters do suffer terribly and are sympathetic to watch, the fact that almost EVERY character has to be defined by some great Loss in their lives takes away the impact of the importance of these separate tragedies to the point of being comical its so overdone. Also I felt that the Story Itself didn't nearly have a satisfying ending as it could have done, once the divine sins have been overcome and the main conflicts all resolved, the show ends too neatly with cliche themes and unsatisfying protagonist arc endings.

Ultimately though, I felt the shows biggest flaw was thats its a bit too excessive In its constantly told messages and allegories on its themes of religion, the morality of humankind and Alchemy, It felt a bit too., Preachy If I had to summarise it. Thats ultimately what I felt the show was, Preachy, It could have handled these themes a lot more subtly instead of bashing us over with the themese of redemption and lost humanity with the Elric Brothers every other episode. It ignored the fundamental rule of a good storytelling, show dont tell. and thats something Fma: Brotherhood didn't do enough of. On the technical side of things the series is pretty much flawless, The animation is utterly beautiful at points and the soundtrack is of course brilliant with one of the best opening themes ever seen for an anime, thats the one aspect of the show I really think lives up to Its hype, Its masterful. Ultimately though Full Metal alchemist Brotherhood: A Great show with of good memorable characters, a brilliant and thought provoking story, and extremely imaginative and immersive universe with often brilliant animation and sound. But not one without considerable flaws that prevent the series from being the Masterclass status fans have held it to for years.

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
I miss the power of friendship being a thing in anime. It was corny, cringy, and cliche, but my god was it better than the angsty, edgy, misanthropic, nihilistic shit we have in anime nowadays.
Tis a good message to spread, especially in todays times. Most older "corny" anime is miles more enjoyable than todays stuff.
Though, if one needs a serious anime I do always recommend Monster.

FMA Brotherhood Isn't a Masterpiece, Its simply just very good/great...
To be perfectly honest I wasnt a Brotherhood fan myself, so I'm a bit baffled when I see so many fans hail it as a masterpiece, I dd enjoy the very original FMA anime, the one that fans consider inferior.

I feel like everyone still talking about Miyazaki as the core trendsetter in anime is woefully misguided.
I'm not surprised to see anime fans forget about Tezuka, or any of the older anime/manga.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
To be perfectly honest I wasnt a Brotherhood fan myself, so I'm a bit baffled when I see so many fans hail it as a masterpiece, I dd enjoy the very original FMA anime, the one that fans consider inferior.
You too? Maybe because the 2003 anime was my first exposure to it, but I consider it better.

I'm not surprised to see anime fans forget about Tezuka, or any of the older anime/manga.
Maybe it's just Western fans? He put out a lot of stuff, so he's probably recognized in Japan, but it is sad that he is forgotten. And all I can think about is the mouse girl drawings his daughter found in his studio.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
Maybe because the 2003 anime was my first exposure to it, but I consider it better.
I dd enjoy the very original FMA anime, the one that fans consider inferior
I really don't understand why people praise Brotherhood so much (maybe it has something to do with Conqueror of Shambhala, but I'm not sure). I'd watched 2003 series, then watched OVA and when they announced new series, that would be more true to the original, I thought "wow, this time it's going to be just perfect" and it turned out to be your typical shonen with wacky fights and overall not that serious in tone. 2003 version was way, way darker. I mean, what is the message of Brotherhood? "Unite despite your differences, never give up and in the end you will win", in my opinion. And what's the message of 2003 version? "You will never get what you want. You will give everything and in the end it still won't be enough".

R.A.E.L.

Sugarbaby
kiwifarms.net
I really don't understand why people praise Brotherhood so much (maybe it has something to do with Conqueror of Shambhala, but I'm not sure). I'd watched 2003 series, then watched OVA and when they announced new series, that would be more true to the original, I thought "wow, this time it's going to be just perfect" and it turned out to be your typical shonen with wacky fights and overall not that serious in tone. 2003 version was way, way darker. I mean, what is the message of Brotherhood? "Unite despite your differences, never give up and in the end you will win", in my opinion. And what's the message of 2003 version? "You will never get what you want. You will give everything and in the end it still won't be enough".
Always such a relief to find other people who feel the same. I watched the 2003 anime first so sure, I guess I'm biased, but then I read a couple volumes of the manga, watched an episode of Brotherhood, and just wasn't feeling it. I know people prefer Brotherhood because it follows the manga and is more light-hearted but I dunno. The way the plot was handled, the characterization, the constant (and IMO forced) humor, even the art style didn't do anything for me. Maybe because it's more of a typical shounen with a perfect happy ending. To this day I still don't get the appeal of the Chinese characters that basically came out of nowhere. I'll gladly take the darker tone of the 2003 series and its original characters any day.

It saddens me to see that whenever FMA is brought up, 99.9% of the time people are only referring to Brotherhood. Now, am I saying the 2003 series is flawless? No, of course not. But I love it to death and definitely think it deserves more recognition.

Last edited:

R.A.E.L.

Sugarbaby
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, for some reason people tend to pick one and only one, but why can't we have both? It's not Hellsing case, where Ultimate is unarguably better.
I actually enjoyed both Hellsing series (I'll admit Ultimate was better though), but yeah, you never see 2003 FMA being praised on top anime lists or whatever. Damn shame people feel the need to shit on it for being different.

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
Kimblee and Bradley and Barry were way better in the manga/Brotherhood. And yeah, everthing with WW2 in FMA 03 was garbage.

That said, the first FMA show did some things that improved greatly on the source. Scar's fate (becoming a sacrifice to make an ultra Philosopher's Stone) was more deserved after all his crimes than the manga/Brotherhood's "easily forgiven." Sloth being a resurrected mockery of Trisha was better than the big thug Sloth (just another Gluttony). Not having the whole Not!East Asia and Briggs helped to keep focus.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
Kimblee and Bradley and Barry were way better in the manga/Brotherhood. And yeah, everthing with WW2 in FMA 03 was garbage.

That said, the first FMA show did some things that improved greatly on the source. Scar's fate (becoming a sacrifice to make an ultra Philosopher's Stone) was more deserved after all his crimes than the manga/Brotherhood's "easily forgiven." Sloth being a resurrected mockery of Trisha was better than the big thug Sloth (just another Gluttony). Not having the whole Not!East Asia and Briggs helped to keep focus.
Honestly I agree on Scar being better in 2003 than Brotherhood but I liked how he was in Brotherhood as well, Scar was great in both shows. Sloth being a mockery of Trisha would've been better if she stood alone with no Wrath (who honestly I get he's a kid but he was really annoying) and there was more chemistry to play off of her with the Elric brothers. I disagree on the last point though as I enjoyed Not!East Asia and the Briggs characters a lot (Ling and Olivier were really good characters that made things interesting).

Though FMA 2003 is honestly a really interesting mixed bag of good ideas with bad ones. While we have Kimblee being bastardized and Shou having a very weird arc, we at the same time had Lust who was a much more compelling character in 2003. Then we have some of the minor characters like Sheska being given an expanded role where she felt like a fun quirky character but then we had Rose who felt really forced and they tried to make her fate really dark to be edgy IMO which was weird given how much of a minor character she was. Greed was done faithfully and is probably the second best homunculus behind Lust.

The main cast was done pretty well with Roy having an equally dark turn to his arc that was pretty haunting at times and Ed seemed to have some nice character growth. Though I do admit I hate how immature the show made Alphonse because it sort of disrupts the dynamic he and Edward had, Hohenheim being a dick just felt dirty to me but it worked well for the story so I'm fine with it really, and Winry was really shoved to the side at the end. Also I did not like most of the new characters added like the Fake Elric Twins, Not!Catwoman, and the Terminator but I did enjoy Lyra (before the Dante twist) and that Second Rate Alchemist that was introduced early on who were both intriguing characters.

I can go all day but this is really to say that both 2003 and Brotherhood have their own strengths and weaknesses. 2003 is a much darker show that had a more consistent tone to it that brought a lot of depth to characters who were minor in the manga that handles a lot of dark topics that involved war. Brotherhood was a fun action show that also had some interesting philosophies presented and honestly had much better villains than 2003 (I'd take Wrath!Bradley, Pride, Kimblee, and OG!Envy over their equivalents in 2003) with their main antagonists being good/bad in different areas.

Though both shows definite weaknesses were shown at their endings with the World War II shit for 2003 being really out of place and not really foreshadowed as well as sort of ruining the magic of alchemy along with Envy who felt like a really melodramatic character. Meanwhile, Brotherhood ended things way too happily which isn't bad necessarily but it really should've had a darker tone throughout the show to really make the ending earned or at least some more of the human characters dying (Heck they could've killed Scar, and keep Roy blind for example) to show their sacrifices blooming to the happier end to give the ending much more weight.

But honestly both shows existing was good as it gives a nice choice though I feel one thing that can be universally agreed upon is that the movies for each version sucked. Conquest of Shamballa made the WWII shit even worse (Seriously they made fucking Hughes a nazi?!) and gave unsatisfying conclusions to many character [Envy, Gluttony, and the Elric brothers who seemed to not really care that they will never see their friends and family ever again]. The Sacred Star of Milos was honestly a really dry movie that really had no point or anything to add to Full Metal alchemist and was nothing more than a predictable side story that was really just to make money with no real creativity in it.

tl;dr 2003 and Brotherhood have their own strengths and weaknesses even if it gets weak with their endings while both having really shitty films attached to them.

• Winner
Reactions: thegooddoctor

Overcast

Dat Booty Tho
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

In retrospect, the one thing I preferred in the 03 anime was how they handled Nina. In the manga and Brotherhood, the Elric brothers only spent I think a day or so knowing her before her dad transmuted her and Alexander into a chimera. Which isn't neccesarilly a bad approach persay, I mean the point was that her dad was a man desperate to hang on to his title as State Alchemist so he takes drastic measures.

In the 03 anime however, Ed and Al both spent months living in the same house as them preparing to take on the State Alchemist exam. During that time, they played with her and Alexander a lot, got to experience Hughes' daughter being born together and she was there with Al when Ed passed the exam. They really bonded with her, and I'd imagine after losing her mom, she really saw them as a part of her family. As did they.

Which made the chimera scene a lot more emotional and impactful in my opinion. The viewers got to know her for about two and a half episodes by that point (which is a lot considering the show had fifty-one episodes) and saw how much she bonded with the brothers, so you could really feel the loss.

It could just be nostalgia talking though.

Anyway, personally I didn't really have much of a problem with the ending in Brotherhood (And by the extension the manga). Yeah, it wraps things up in a neat way and I can see why people would prefer a darker ending, but I don't know. After experiencing FMA through 03 first, I was happy to see all the characters I grew to love ultimately succeed in a different version. Plus, Ed did sacrifice his ability to use alchemy to bring back Al, which I thought was appropriate given the themes of the story and how alchemy defined Ed as a character up to that point.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I didn't get to watch FMA until adulthood because the fans I knew in high school weirded me out with their fangirl squeeing, but I went in chronological-broadcast order and went with the 2003 series first since we picked up the first half at the Half-Price. I didn't really know what I was expecting because I didn't understand much outside of "short main character is an alchemist and his brother's a suit of armor because of it, also miniskirt armies and seven deadly sins personified". So imagine my utter surprise to find myself invested in a dark, tragic tale of atonement, wars, racism, and the consequences of playing God, and that's when I finally understood why it's so popular. The original series having a bittersweet anime-original ending was honestly perfect, but I was still interested in Brotherhood as well as to see how much Bones had improved as a studio since 2003. And Brotherhood was a bit jarring at first because it was more goofy in look and tone than before, which I don't mind, but it was still weird getting used to.

I do enjoy both series, though, Brotherhood expanding a bit more on its world was something I liked and watching Edward and Alphonse basically grow up fighting for their humanity was gripping, and not to mention Envy was more vicious than in the original anime. However, I really and truly like the Homunculi origins better in the original anime, especially Sloth and Wrath (Bradley being Pride originally was neat, though him actually being Wrath still works, too), and Lust had more character, too, and the music is also more hard-hitting in the original. There's good tracks still in Brotherhood, but 2003's soundtrack's more poignant, and I also find Dante more interesting than Father. While it's still nice that Hohenheim still had connections to the main villains from both versions, his connection to Dante I thought felt more personal. So at the end of the day, I have to go with 2003 as my favorite of the two, but only by the skin of its teeth because both series are excellent and that's a miracle.

But it still is a damn shame that only Brotherhood gets brought up nowadays, especially in the soundtrack department. The other day someone off-site said their favorite FMA opening was the third OP, and I went "Awwww yeeeeah 'Undo' is awesome :D!" and they replied with "Um... I'm talking about Brotherhood's :/". And it's an opening I don't recall at all (think I just didn't care for it and I listened to it multiple times) and it made me sad.

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
You too? Maybe because the 2003 anime was my first exposure to it, but I consider it better.

Maybe it's just Western fans? He put out a lot of stuff, so he's probably recognized in Japan, but it is sad that he is forgotten. And all I can think about is the mouse girl drawings his daughter found in his studio.
I found the tone and story more consistent in the original anime, in Brotherhood you'd go from tragic moment to silly chibi bits left and right, the soundtrack while decent often repeated the same songs, Ed and Al being shoved aside, and thats without me getting into the more specific problems that I had with the story.

In Japan hes not quite as prominent as you'd think, but most people in the States either see Tezuka as "that guy that Disney copied", or "that guy that drew anthro mice". FTR the "Anthro mice" fiasco didnt even bug me, I see worse on DAs front page on a daily basis, and I ended up leaving Twitter partly because of how much questionable art is up on that site.