Unpopular Opinions about anime/manga -

Overcast

Dat Booty Tho
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I didn't get to watch FMA until adulthood because the fans I knew in high school weirded me out with their fangirl squeeing, but I went in chronological-broadcast order and went with the 2003 series first since we picked up the first half at the Half-Price. I didn't really know what I was expecting because I didn't understand much outside of "short main character is an alchemist and his brother's a suit of armor because of it, also miniskirt armies and seven deadly sins personified". So imagine my utter surprise to find myself invested in a dark, tragic tale of atonement, wars, racism, and the consequences of playing God, and that's when I finally understood why it's so popular. The original series having a bittersweet anime-original ending was honestly perfect, but I was still interested in Brotherhood as well as to see how much Bones had improved as a studio since 2003. And Brotherhood was a bit jarring at first because it was more goofy in look and tone than before, which I don't mind, but it was still weird getting used to.

I do enjoy both series, though, Brotherhood expanding a bit more on its world was something I liked and watching Edward and Alphonse basically grow up fighting for their humanity was gripping, and not to mention Envy was more vicious than in the original anime. However, I really and truly like the Homunculi origins better in the original anime, especially Sloth and Wrath (Bradley being Pride originally was neat, though him actually being Wrath still works, too), and Lust had more character, too, and the music is also more hard-hitting in the original. There's good tracks still in Brotherhood, but 2003's soundtrack's more poignant, and I also find Dante more interesting than Father. While it's still nice that Hohenheim still had connections to the main villains from both versions, his connection to Dante I thought felt more personal. So at the end of the day, I have to go with 2003 as my favorite of the two, but only by the skin of its teeth because both series are excellent and that's a miracle.

But it still is a damn shame that only Brotherhood gets brought up nowadays, especially in the soundtrack department. The other day someone off-site said their favorite FMA opening was the third OP, and I went "Awwww yeeeeah 'Undo' is awesome :D!" and they replied with "Um... I'm talking about Brotherhood's :/". And it's an opening I don't recall at all (think I just didn't care for it and I listened to it multiple times) and it made me sad.
The original's soundtrack was just on a whole other level. This song in particular really stuck out to me.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
I really liked 2003 FMA too, though I didn't try to get into Brotherhood. From the few clips I've seen, I doubted my sanity whether the show was always this light-hearted.

Anyways if we're on the subject, I'm completely sure 99% of the picks in people "favourite anime/recommended anime to watch" are just regurgitated from other people and/or 90's nostalgia rather than actually the person's own views.

Safir

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I liked the beginning of FMA 2003. More "filler" = better. People who bitch about "filler" in the likes of FMA and Sailor Moon should read at least one book.

The end is weird. I didn't like it emotionally - it felt like a TTRPG campaign which goes off the rails with one character raping toddlers or something and the GM is looking on, rolling damage and trying to find his balls to say we're done here. But I can appreciate it artistically for evoking this exact feeling of fuckedupness.

In the 03 anime however, Ed and Al both spent months living in the same house as them preparing to take on the State Alchemist exam. During that time, they played with her and Alexander a lot, got to experience Hughes' daughter being born together and she was there with Al when Ed passed the exam. They really bonded with her, and I'd imagine after losing her mom, she really saw them as a part of her family. As did they.

Which made the chimera scene a lot more emotional and impactful in my opinion. The viewers got to know her for about two and a half episodes by that point (which is a lot considering the show had fifty-one episodes) and saw how much she bonded with the brothers, so you could really feel the loss.
This.

The 2009 version went over fucking everything so fast it didn't feel like it was intended to stand alone - rather, it was just going through the plot point checklist for the people who already watched the 2003 version, to establish the new canon. Ed should have time to enjoy his place in the military, promotion and commendations so that realizing it's all fucked up and rebelling against it actually means something. In 2009, "the military" never stops being an antagonist. It was full of petty bureaucratic assholes, now it turns out the assholes are monsters, yawn whatever, what else is new.

The biggest problem with FMA is hardly anyone grows as a character during the course of the actual story. Scar and Lust shine in 2003, and Edward cuts down on his whining when he realized Alphonse had it worse. That's about it. Yes, they have all those tragic backstories which get revealed and then you see the character in a new light, but it's a narrative sleight of hand that does fuck all for the ongoing plot. Show me how a character's assholery or selflessness arises in a surprising way from what we already know about him or her, kthx.

The best song in either FMA is Melissa, of course.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
Yeah FMA Brotherhood is good but in complete, 100% honesty there are two types of people in this world, ones who think that Gurren Lagann is the best complete, start to finish anime experience and those who are fucking wrong
Eh not really, Gurren Lagann is kind of overrated and had a lot of lows for me like it's infamous fourth episode, and the start of the second arc felt like a slog to go through.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Not gonna argue about best openings and endings for FMA 2003 (though I do love how action oriented the opening with "Rewrite" was) and I think the best song of the original soundtrack is "Brothers," but I hate Ling. I hate everything about him because he's just a gigantic dick and he did not deserve to replace the original Greed. Also not a fan of the little Xingan girl either, she was just annoying.

I also loved the bittersweet ending of FMA 2003.

R.A.E.L.

Sugarbaby
kiwifarms.net
I found the tone and story more consistent in the original anime, in Brotherhood you'd go from tragic moment to silly chibi bits left and right
This is one of the main problems I have with Brotherhood and the manga. The humor is all over the place and, for some things, it just doesn't work at all - like Izumi's blood vomiting. I remember being puzzled when I saw that in particular being played for laughs. It really feels like Arakawa couldn't decide on one specific tone and stick with it.

That said, it's nice to know that she wholeheartedly approved of the 2003 series and doesn't hate it like some hardcore manga fans claim.

Last edited:

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
I did not care for Steins Gate and genuinely do not understand why it’s held up as an example of “good” time travel when its mechanics aren’t even particularly consistent or well-explained.

I didn’t connect with the characters at all, so for me the first half-and-a-bit of the show just dragged on and on with random character bullshit I did not care about. The actual plot didn’t kick in until well after I stopped paying attention.

• Agree
Reactions: Safir

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
Not gonna argue about best openings and endings for FMA 2003 (though I do love how action oriented the opening with "Rewrite" was) and I think the best song of the original soundtrack is "Brothers," but I hate Ling. I hate everything about him because he's just a gigantic dick and he did not deserve to replace the original Greed. Also not a fan of the little Xingan girl either, she was just annoying.

I also loved the bittersweet ending of FMA 2003.
The whole Xing thing just served to bloat the plot and let there be some speshul snowflake alchemy.

Reactions: cactus and R.A.E.L.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
That said, it's nice to know that she wholeheartedly approved of the 2003 series and doesn't hate it like some hardcore manga fans claim
Come to think of it, authors of the 2003 version had to make complete anime, while they had less than a half of the plot of the original. It's impressive how they managed to make something that good.

Overcast

Dat Booty Tho
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is one of the main problems I have with Brotherhood and the manga. The humor is all over the place and, for some things, it just doesn't work at all - like Izumi's blood vomiting. I remember being puzzled when I saw that in particular being played for laughs. It really feels like Arakawa couldn't decide on one specific tone and stick with it.

That said, it's nice to know that she wholeheartedly approved of the 2003 series and doesn't hate it like some hardcore manga fans claim.
That's kinda what I like about Arakawa. She doesn't seem to take things 100% seriously and likes to poke fun at her own work through the Omake and extra stuff she makes for the printed volumes. She just seems like a very grounded person. Which is more than what I can say about a lot of content creators.

There's something I really respect about someone who points out the big flaw (if you could call it that) in their story in that the main villain's plan would be undone if it happened to rain on "The Promised Day".

• Agree
Reactions: cactus and Truthboi

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't have much of an attachment to FMA either way. I thought it was a good show, but I didn't feel like it was a "MUST WATCH" to introduce people to it. Its easy to get into. I've been contemplating watching the 2003 version, but I'm unsure if I basically want to re-watch something I watched, even if it is different.

I feel like some anime sacrilege too, so I think Evangelion is an overrated, pretentious pile of shit.

99% of all anime is poorly written, poorly animated garbage.
Don't you generally have to enjoy something to have an unpopular opinion on it?

Guts Gets Some

Don't lose your way
kiwifarms.net
I've been contemplating watching the 2003 version, but I'm unsure if I basically want to re-watch something I watched, even if it is different.
It's different, so you won't feel the retread, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's the most overly melodramatic and corny schlock I've sat through in anime.

If you actually appreciated the rules and logic in the FMA series, you won't like this one.

Last edited:

Duncan Hills Coffee

Pees out the side of his dick
kiwifarms.net
I feel like some anime sacrilege too, so I think Evangelion is an overrated, pretentious pile of shit.
I tried getting into it, if only because I wanted to see End of Evangelion and watch everything get fucked up. I got to about episode 11 or 12 before I realized I just didn't give a shit.

I do think part of it was that I watched the sub, and I'm quickly finding I'm not a sub guy (not because of the reading, but because Japanese voices are so goddamn grating) so maybe it was an investment issue.

Midlife Sperglord

Sperging over console gaming.
kiwifarms.net
Buichi Terasawa needs more love from the anime community. If only because his protagonists tend to be real men who never seriously whine about anything.