Unpopular Opinions about anime/manga -

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
Anime is one of the reasons for Japans birth decline

This is a very popular opinion but I actually strongly disagree with it. Japanese people are still fucking. The issue is that they are not having families and the reason they're not doing so is for the same reasons Americans are not doing so.

They're not having families because it's expensive as hell, they have little spare time, or have an individualistic/career mindset that makes them not want to have families. The main difference is that they just don't have as much immigration or new populations with higher birth rates who have not yet been tainted by the local consumerist culture.

This is a very popular opinion but I actually strongly disagree with it. Japanese people are still fucking. The issue is that they are not having families and the reason they're not doing so is for the same reasons Americans are not doing so.

They're not having families because it's expensive as hell, they have little spare time, or have an individualistic/career mindset that makes them not want to have families. The main difference is that they just don't have as much immigration or new populations with higher birth rates who have not yet been tainted by the local consumerist culture.
The idea of a "too expensive" is just wrong. Maybe if you are 18, but at 25+, your pay isn't going to suddenly rise dozens of percents that's apperantly the requirement for child rearing. Not to mention that there are plenty of people with no income still managing to squeeze 5+ children.
The number 1 reason for people today having no children is that it's bad for the corporation's bottom line. A child needs food, furniture and other utilities, and won't necessarily buy that new Star Wars figurine because he has no nostalgia for it. while an adult can live in a pod, subsist on soy and buy rent infinite quantity of nostalgia driven merchandise. If the adult can also work dozens of weekly hours without interruption then all the better. At worst the corporations will just import more potential consumers into the country.

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
The idea of a "too expensive" is just wrong. Maybe if you are 18, but at 25+, your pay isn't going to suddenly rise dozens of percents that's apperantly the requirement for child rearing. Not to mention that there are plenty of people with no income still managing to squeeze 5+ children.
The number 1 reason for people today having no children is that it's bad for the corporation's bottom line. A child needs food, furniture and other utilities, and won't necessarily buy that new Star Wars figurine because he has no nostalgia for it. while an adult can live in a pod, subsist on soy and buy rent infinite quantity of nostalgia driven merchandise. If the adult can also work dozens of weekly hours without interruption then all the better. At worst the corporations will just import more potential consumers into the country.

But people believe it to be. They think they need to have some stockpile of like 200k to do it, but fail to save it up because they waste it all on consumer products. If they reach that mythical amount needed they're already too old to have kids.

Japan has basically the same issues as the US in this regard.
I'd bet they also have 1/4 women going on dates just for free food.

ZMOT

wat
But people believe it to be. They think they need to have some stockpile of like 200k to do it, but fail to save it up because they waste it all on consumer products. If they reach that mythical amount needed they're already too old to have kids.
this. or they simply know for the next 16-18 years they have to spend a large sum of whatever they make on their kids.
meanwhile the lower classes are either too dumb or don't give a shit to plan ahead (before you rate me, think about how many academics with 2-3 kids you know, and if they do at what age they were conceived). since most first world countries have a support infrastructure in place because they want and need population growth there's no danger in doing so, to the point some are constantly pregnant just for the benefits.

it's getting to the point that some believe we're actually getting dumber this way since the ratio is completely lopsided and has been for a few decades. everybody has to decide themselves how legit that theory is, but then it's not something you could discuss rationally (since most statistics would also include immigrants), unlike trans-sexuality or something.

EDIT: forgot to mention that unlike a few decades ago, cost of living became much more expensive. back then one dude could work full time and support his wife and 1-2 kids. now you sometimes need 2 jobs and both partners have to work, which means there's simply no money and time to raise kids. sure, you could move to a smaller town where cost of living is cheaper, but you'd still need a job that pays big city wages, and the willingness to move. state benefits help, but some people don't want to depend on the state and/or don't want to lower their lifestyle just for kids (on top what @Slap47 already mentioned) because the support only covers the minimum, which isn't a problem for the lower classes.

in the end that's just the consequence of changes a few decades ago (whatever people might think about it, don't wanna get into it since we're offtopic enough already) and having relatively peaceful times.

Last edited:

From The Uncanny Valley

action packed buddy comedy
True & Honest Fan
this. or they simply know for the next 16-18 years they have to spend a large sum of whatever they make on their kids.
meanwhile the lower classes are either too dumb or don't give a shit to plan ahead (before you rate me, think about how many academics with 2-3 kids you know, and if they do at what age they were conceived). since most first world countries have a support infrastructure in place because they want and need population growth there's no danger in doing so, to the point some are constantly pregnant just for the benefits.

it's getting to the point that some believe we're actually getting dumber this way since the ratio is completely lopsided and has been for a few decades. everybody has to decide themselves how legit that theory is, but then it's not something you could discuss rationally (since most statistics would also include immigrants), unlike trans-sexuality or something.

hence why Idiocracy is so terrifying to some people

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
Probably mentioned before, but: I wish newer anime wasn't so damn... bright. Colorful. That's one thing I'll give 80s/90s stuff, is that the more muted tones are easier on the eyes.
Really!? I think current day anime is so.... drab, compared to older works, and I like 80s/90s stuff. Older anime had light backing tables and the illustrations, I'll let speak for themselves:

Voltage.Fighter.Gowcaizer.angel.jpg
lips-yuuaiagents.jpg
sofia-ellis-1.jpg

Fate-grand-order.jpg
AAAABUS0tODygRPvN6Ekv8edM7fDKBMYR0-ZnptNi6Oo8O4dDaOg7yfpGQMdi-COGkltQqoNq5e5g4mS43KiuLPGev2c3MfO.jpg

766780.png

I do think it's because nowadays, using art software and photoshop filters are a lot more prevalent than doing both markers/ink/physical media and software for minor but final touchups. As seen in the former, colors rarely stand out between two or three of a palette for illumination, but their placement helps to give a feel of lighting and depth and it's much more simple on the eyes than say today's stuff, which is all about bright solid illumination based illustration and to feel as if a part of the light itself. Today's stuff probably is much more brighter than I remembered.

FLCL's not a good anime to get started with, the only thing that makes even slightly beginner friend is the fucking length. Otherwise it's weird as hippopotamus ass man, even for a fucking anime. And mind you I'm someone that generally did like what I've watched of it, but I'm also a bit more open to unconventional shit. If I were to show that to some who's more of a normie like say my fucking mom I guarantee she'd never watch anime again. I'm not a anime person, hell barely a movie person, but I can't imagine it's really the one you be use to pop peoples anime cherries with.
Honestly, as with everyone else, you're not wrong. This would be like giving someone Frank Miller's The Dark Knight or Caligula 1979 as their first introduction to either forms of entertainment. For FLCL, it has a story, but the narrative is so hidden behind all of that wonderful madness that it's not off that you need have had watched a lot of anime before hand to be familiar with the narrative, and even then, not be a fucking autist to have a proper attention span and properly digest everything that's coming your way on and after the screening. It's like being fed ultra sugary cereal with an energy drink and being told to put together a puzzle with the pieces all scattered about the house than just one room.

I haven't watched it but I find Demon Slayer overrated, and I find it's fanbase really annoying that overhype the anime to extremes I have never seen before such as saying Demon Slayer invented many tropes that are actually quite common (i.e. inserting a song for a climatic moment that is very tense despite plenty of other anime doing that, various character archetypes, etc.) and making absurd claims like:

"Demon Slayer made Ufotable relevant and good"

Despite the fact Ufotable made a lot of more notable anime that got them on the map before Demon Slayer, mainly their adaptations of Type Moon works

"Demon Slayer saved anime"

Any claims of "X" saving anime is retarded, it was dumb when Trigger fans do it all the time, and it was dumb when CrunchyRoll shills do it. Anime doesn't need saving because these shows and services are not saving the industry or making it better in any meaningful way as there is still more garbage anime being made and there are still animators being overworked to shit, a good show won't save the entire industry.
Western anime fandom makes me hate the medium. I don't care about your fanfiction, headcannons, shipping, representation or whatever the hell you get upset about. Either watch it or don't.
Ugh, tell it to me, motherfuckers. Again, and again, and again. Bonus points for western anime fans too, because as much as the money is nice, we're ultimately still nothing but an afterthought, and we haven't done shit to actually really do anything to foster its integrity as an artistic entertainment medium other than to just watch/read it, and as the other ass end of anime fandom says, "consuuume" and get high off of their own entitled farts. Fucking mouthbreathers....

I hate Hayao Miyazaki not just because of his pretentious, overrated, mediocre work, but his entire attitude. He's a judgmental old fart and an arrogant twat with a swell head just because his work's been successful and he preaches (while not really practicing) while critiquing others unfairly. He's got some bloody gall to say that Tezuka ruined the "anime industry" when his work wouldn't exist without him. He had more of an impact than that smug cunt.
lol whut, Miyazaki said that? I talked about him before earlier in the thread, but this is news to me. What a fucking asshole.

Ode to Kirihito is one of the grossest manga I've ever read be its bestiality content or how it blatantly exploits rape and child deaths for the sake of shock and awe. I've had some reservations on Tezuka due to his treatment of employees, heavy reliance on uncredited assistants, and his treatment of rival mangaka (the furry R34 art I dont care about, it wasnt meant to be seen by others), but I left this a bit midway, and no I wont be reading MW or any of Tezukas other "dark" work of that time.
Now the last one gets me thinking. I never knew he had rivals in the early days as some of the first mangaka.

Very little of Lucky Star has aged well.
Lucky Star admittedly died when its creator got rich and never had to work on it ever again. I kinda want to know what Konata does after high school, but that won't happen.

Last edited:
Now the last one gets me thinking. I never knew he had rivals in the early days as some of the first mangaka.
Tezuka was generally quite jealous of any would be competitors be it back then, even all the way up to the 80's when Akira took off.

I do agree with your bit on anime color palettes, too drab yet it goes with the settings that tend to be too mundane for my tastes. I don't have anything against digital art, but a lot of it is a bit too photoshopped.

Last edited:

Drag-on Knight 91873

"Listen man, it's complicated."
hence why Idiocracy is so terrifying to some people
Not enough people talk about the opening scene of that movie, even though it's the sort of thing you hear in a Freshman Biological Anthropology course. How a student can take a course like that and not think Intelligence is an inherited trait is beyond me.
Code Geass is good because of all of the bullshit
Code Geass really is a feelz before realz kind of show. Nitpick plot and even character actions all you want, but it's a show that constantly reaches for the stars. The risk is that it can land on its face, but even their failures are interesting in that sense. Like the Battlestar Galactica Remake, actually.

Anyways, I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion actually is, but Samurai Champloo is just Cowboy Bebop season 2. Even has the same kinds of stories sometimes.

Neoguri Ramyun

( ^^)人(^^ )
You can say anything about BL genre, but everyone still respect the evolution of this genre and style. Just compare the Shungiku Nakamura, Minami Ozaki, CLAMP, and Natsuki Kizu, Ogeretsu Tanaka,MinGwa and you can see the changes (like in whole anime)
(the both are good, but anatomically the newer bl's are better with this)

Duncan Hills Coffee

Not a normal human
Anyways, I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion actually is, but Samurai Champloo is just Cowboy Bebop season 2. Even has the same kinds of stories sometimes.
This is part of the reason I hated Samurai Champloo the first time I watched it. I had just finished Bebop so I was already riding off that high, and I went into Champloo expecting something new and exciting and different. Champloo's not wholly a repeat of Bebop, but there was enough concepts and scenes that were reused that it began to annoy me (that scene where Mugen's floating through the water half-dead was almost shot-for-shot a copy of the famous church scene in Bebop). To me, Samurai Champloo came off as a much weaker Cowboy Bebop. I don't think it helped that I don't like hip-hop all that much, so I couldn't connect to Champloo like I could with Bebop because I adore jazz and blues.

I am thinking of giving Samurai Champloo another shot because I was going in with a different set of expectations. There were things I liked; that opening song was awesome and some of the action scenes were incredible. It's just the aesthetics and music choices don't appeal to me on a personal level like Bebop's does.

This is part of the reason I hated Samurai Champloo the first time I watched it. I had just finished Bebop so I was already riding off that high, and I went into Champloo expecting something new and exciting and different. Champloo's not wholly a repeat of Bebop, but there was enough concepts and scenes that were reused that it began to annoy me (that scene where Mugen's floating through the water half-dead was almost shot-for-shot a copy of the famous church scene in Bebop). To me, Samurai Champloo came off as a much weaker Cowboy Bebop. I don't think it helped that I don't like hip-hop all that much, so I couldn't connect to Champloo like I could with Bebop because I adore jazz and blues.

I am thinking of giving Samurai Champloo another shot because I was going in with a different set of expectations. There were things I liked; that opening song was awesome and some of the action scenes were incredible. It's just the aesthetics and music choices don't appeal to me on a personal level like Bebop's does.
I think it may help to try and separate it from Bebop. I hadn't watched Bebop at all when I watched Champloo, and I enjoyed it just fine.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
Much of the shonen out there owe their existence to the Astro Boy story "Strongest Robot in the World", just draw that out and repeat it each arc with the occasional sauna or filler episodes between each one.

Also, todays anime characters have more in common with grey aliens than actual humans.

View attachment 1902778View attachment 1902765
Something something Franken Fran something something.