Unpopular Opinions about anime/manga -

Drag-on Knight 91873

"Listen man, it's complicated."
kiwifarms.net
Cowboy Bebop can actually work if the cast got blackwashed. Why? Because the show itself is heavily rooted in Blaxploitation art from the music to the criminal underground setting most episodes take place in to the interest in Chinese martial arts.

Woke people would fuck it up due to sheer incompetence, but it's conceptually sound.

Minister Burroughs

kiwifarms.net
In spite of my avatar, (which isn’t Zero taking his mask off but rather One facepalming over not being able to read) I really, REALLY hated Code Geass's ending.
1613279335810.png

I mean, it was all fun and games the whole way through the show. Lelouch would get backed into a corner, then pull something out of his ass and come out on top. Great stuff. I even liked a lot of the things people hate on. For instance, the episodes at the school provided some nice levity and were good fun.

But then we got to the ending: Lelouch is literally the king of the world. He has everything: he’s done it! Sure, he’s a dictator, but he’s finally done exactly what he set out to do. He’s killed his dad and taken over as King of Britannia. And now that he’s in control, he can slowly dismantle his own stranglehold on the world! He can do what actual Britain did: wait for nations to politely ask (or sometimes forcefully ask) for independence, then let them have it. With that slow reacquisition of the old world borders, there can be a gradual return to normalcy, with a minimum of chaos and bloodshed. With its unquestionable military might, Britannia can effectively force everyone to get along, at least long enough for everyone to get back in the groove of their own military positions. Lelouch can now provide Nunally the peaceful world he promised her. Give back independence to nations, little by little, make the world a better pla-

Or he could get his chest blown open on purpose, killing himself in a master-class example of ‘Must-get-the-sad-ending’ anime bullshit. Because now guess what? No, redhead girl, the world would not go all peaceful overnight because the big bad is dead! Lelouch was holding a nation with a long history of oppression and power struggles in the palm of his hand. He had total and complete control and then he THREW IT AWAY! Now he’s dead, and what would happen?

War. That’s what would actually happen. Because a power vacuum the size of the planet would attract everyone willing to fill Lelouch’s shoes. All the military leaders and not to mention the rightful heirs: Lelouch’s siblings. After all, it can only be assumed that once Lelouch dies his Geass dies with him. Or maybe not. Whatever. Regardless, Britannia would be in pandemonium while everyone tries to figure out who the next monarch will be.

In the ensuing chaos of untold magnitude, the underground military powers of other nations would come out of the undergrowth and start knocking the Britannians back (to likely limited success). Everything would go back to exactly the way it was. Because, much like World War II, just because the one guy absolutely everyone hated is dead, doesn’t mean the world’s problems turn to rainbows and unicorns and the League of Nations starts throwing confetti around. In actuality, Lelouch just slaughtered the one guy keeping everything stable. The Britannians would once again select a strong ruler (whoever it might be), and would go right back to squashing the rebels, which they’re extremely practiced at! The world is right back to where it started, not to mention the fact that Japan is 100% fucked since Lelouch got all his Knights thrown in prison. Yeah; they’re not getting out.

What Lelouch did was pressurize a tank to bursting, then tap his temple knowingly with a pawn and break off the head with a sledgehammer. Instead of slowly relieving the pressure he created, he opted for an explosion. And that is truly a terrible ending because it pretends to have played one last, flourishing ass-pull to fix the situation, when anyone with half a finger’s grasp on this world’s mythos knows that everyone deciding ‘war is bad mmkay’ as a result of Lelouch dying on TV is as likely as Suzaku making a good decision.

You fucked it up, Geass. You fucked it up with 20 minutes left on the clock. At least you gave us MENT.

albert chan

Not a simp for Slovenian women
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Beastars as a manga looks pretty good.

Beastars as an anime looks like it didn’t really live up to the hype.

Seton Academy: Join The Pack! > Beastars

Fat Tub of Lard

kiwifarms.net
I gotta be honest, I don't like Summer Wars. I found the story generic as hell, and I didn't care about the cast of largely indistinguishable characters.

Also, I gotta give Parasyte the grand prize for "Series that Totally Shit the Bed in the Second Half". I was really engaged early on with the whole "alien takes over your body" premise. But the death of that girl who can unknowingly sense parasytes wound up being a jump the shark moment. To me, it told me that all the mysteries it set up were going to mean jack and shit, with a sprinkle of fucking sandwiched inbetween. It takes the whole "element of mystery" thing way to far, to the point where valid questions an audience member would ask are ignored, if not outright brushed aside (like with the girl I mentioned who was pushed into her death by the writer for no good reason than what I'll save for last); character development doesn't seem to exist for anyone but Shinichi, who even then has a really bland arc; the endgame goes from a major conspiracy to a really lame "personal" confrontation; and the love interest is obnoxious as fuck to the point where, when bodies fall, I just asked, "Why are you killing anyone but that one bitch who deserves it for never shutting her mouth!?"

But what truly pushes the series into irredeemable territory for me is how it prioritizes preachy psychological bullshit before everything else. All the questions raised about the world? Characters whose stories could supply some great conflict or plot? Snowballing plot points that look forward to a freakin' sweet climax? Hell, anything that would've made for a satisfying story that didn't feel like it was constructed by school glue? "FUCK IT ALL!" says the author. "Who the fuck wants any of that when I can just preach to the audience about humanity and nature and all that other hippie shit you've heard a million times before!?" In the end, it all results in what should've been an epic sci-fi story just ends up being a heavy-handed, up-its-own-ass mess that raises too many questions it never answers because "muh subversion" and feels completely unsatisfying. Now I know where Rian Johnson got the idea for The Last Jedi.

From The Uncanny Valley

My spirit animal is a parasitic worm.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I gotta be honest, I don't like Summer Wars. I found the story generic as hell, and I didn't care about the cast of largely indistinguishable characters.

Also, I gotta give Parasyte the grand prize for "Series that Totally Shit the Bed in the Second Half". I was really engaged early on with the whole "alien takes over your body" premise. But the death of that girl who can unknowingly sense parasytes wound up being a jump the shark moment. To me, it told me that all the mysteries it set up were going to mean jack and shit, with a sprinkle of fucking sandwiched inbetween. It takes the whole "element of mystery" thing way to far, to the point where valid questions an audience member would ask are ignored, if not outright brushed aside (like with the girl I mentioned who was pushed into her death by the writer for no good reason than what I'll save for last); character development doesn't seem to exist for anyone but Shinichi, who even then has a really bland arc; the endgame goes from a major conspiracy to a really lame "personal" confrontation; and the love interest is obnoxious as fuck to the point where, when bodies fall, I just asked, "Why are you killing anyone but that one bitch who deserves it for never shutting her mouth!?"

But what truly pushes the series into irredeemable territory for me is how it prioritizes preachy psychological bullshit before everything else. All the questions raised about the world? Characters whose stories could supply some great conflict or plot? Snowballing plot points that look forward to a freakin' sweet climax? Hell, anything that would've made for a satisfying story that didn't feel like it was constructed by school glue? "FUCK IT ALL!" says the author. "Who the fuck wants any of that when I can just preach to the audience about humanity and nature and all that other hippie shit you've heard a million times before!?" In the end, it all results in what should've been an epic sci-fi story just ends up being a heavy-handed, up-its-own-ass mess that raises too many questions it never answers because "muh subversion" and feels completely unsatisfying. Now I know where Rian Johnson got the idea for The Last Jedi.
iirc I've heard the manga is marginally better.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
While I don't feel quite so strongly about it, Parasyte definitely crosses the nebulous and subjective line of "trying too hard" for me. where instead of a story with some supporting themes, it feels like a story written for said themes. The idea of the main character losing their humanity is age-old and very common in anime and manga, so it was surprising to me how fucking clunky the execution felt with Shinichi, with multiple instances of characters pretty much spelling out that question. Same thing goes with the female parasite. Like, I get what they were going for, but the execution just didn't work for me.

The ending is also probably the most meh of all the anime I've seen, and I think it's because of the difference in scope of the conflicts. Most of the actual conflict in the show is personal; even Shinichi's fight against the parasites is personified by the one super-parasite, and was never really about him getting rid of all the parasites. However, early on, the parasites are presented as a potentially apocalyptic threat, so even after the personal conflicts are resolved, you still have that looming over the plot, and it's resolved in possibly the most boring way possible with them kinda just going away on their own. To fix this, I think you'd have to take away the greater-scale threat of the parasites. Make it so that they've always been in hiding all along, with most of them content to just live undetected amongst humans, with the antagonists being the ones that want to upset the order. This way, you no longer have to answer for the global threat of the parasites and can focus entirely on the personal conflicts that drive the story.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mean, the plot of Summer Wars was originally written as a Digimon plot. Mamoru Hosoda just liked the idea so much he wanted to expand on it further in a more original movie, but it felt unnecessarily drawn out as a result. Still was fun, and the family aspect of the film is better than the 'Net avatars part, but it just can't compare to Our War Game.

Atatata

kiwifarms.net
Iirc Parasyte has had a sequel out for a while now, though I never got around to read it. Has anyone checked it out?

albert chan

Not a simp for Slovenian women
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Toriko and SKET Dance should have gotten more airplay on Western airwaves. I think Americans would have loved these shows far more than Food Wars and Black Clover, in my opinion.

Fat Tub of Lard

kiwifarms.net
Toriko and SKET Dance should have gotten more airplay on Western airwaves. I think Americans would have loved these shows far more than Food Wars and Black Clover, in my opinion.
Haven't seen either of those, but I have seen works from their respective authors. I love Astra Lost in Space, and I'm currently watching that author's new series Witch Watch. As for the Toriko guy, he just started this new manga called Build King. Not a bad series, but it's currently tanking in the Weekly Shonen Jump ratings. Don't expect it to be around for very long.

Atatata

kiwifarms.net
Are you sure? I've never heard of and can't find anything about a sequel, only the second part of the live action movie.
Parasyte Reversi, apparently its considered a side story (alongside Neo-Parasyte), rather than a sequel even though it takes place after the original series, I guess because of different authors, my bad.

R.A.E.L.

Blind spider waifu
kiwifarms.net
Parasyte Reversi, apparently its considered a side story (alongside Neo-Parasyte), rather than a sequel even though it takes place after the original series, I guess because of different authors, my bad.
Thanks for the info, I just read up to the latest chapter.

I like it. It's not a sequel, but a spinoff from a different perspective, and takes place during the same time as the original story. Certain characters make cameos.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
Oh god the Parasyte talk reminded me of why I hated Parasyte because it was such a pretentious piece of shit that kept talking down to the viewers with themes of psychological stuff and environmentalism. The fights were also extremely fucking repetitive as it just kept being swinging tentacle blades. The only interesting shit was the stuff with the serial killer but even then it's more of how hammy the VA was rather than the character being interesting. The themes also kept being as subtle as being hit by a truck with one of the characters literally going to a college lecture that was discussing altruism. The only good thing Parasyte had going for it was the first 2-5 episodes and it's opening, aside from that the anime was probably the most pretentious anime I have seen and it's fanbase treated it like it was the deepest show of all time.