Unpopular Opinions about anime/manga -

KingofNothing

Wahoo!
kiwifarms.net
I never could get the snark/hate around Keijo!!!!!!! Personally, I thought it was pretty funny.
I don't hate it, but the concept is way too goofy for me to get into.

maxresdefault.jpg

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
I think you can just blame the ignorance of Western fans in general for this. Although Part II I think was shown on Toonami or some other channel, Lupin III wasn't that big in the States until fairly recently with Castle of Cagliostro showing up on Netflix and being shown in limited theaters, and even then it rode on Hayao Miyazaki's name recognition, and I don't see the fanbase growing exponentially.
I don't know which part is was, but red jacket Lupin was on Adult Swim. I got so used to Tony Oliver as him that it was a big wtf when I heard the Castle of Cagliostro dub.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
I don't know which part is was, but red jacket Lupin was on Adult Swim. I got so used to Tony Oliver as him that it was a big wtf when I heard the Castle of Cagliostro dub.
Both dubs of that film were done before they dubbed the Red Jacket series, so Tony Oliver hadn't been cast as Lupin yet... still, I think he's the definitive English voice for the character, as was everyone else in that dub for their characters.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Not a normal human
kiwifarms.net
Fun fact, that's actually David Hayter of Metal Gear Solid fame in Cagliostro (at least the 2000 dub that I believe is the one on Netflix). Not that you'd know it's him since he's not doing his Solid Snake voice.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Not a normal human
kiwifarms.net
It's the Streamline dub. It has the infamous "Should have worn an asbestos suit" line.
Shoot. I spent way too long trying to find which dub it was since Netflix gives zero indication. I assumed it was the 2000 dub since most English releases on streaming platforms use the most recent one (Akira on Hulu uses the 2001 dub for example).

Fission Mailed

cOwOna
kiwifarms.net
I don't think most dubs are as bad as everyone exaggerates. There are some bad ones for sure but a lot of those Japanese girls are just as hard to listen to.
As an example, I remember trying to watch the Sailor moon sub back when the only dub was dic, and I could hardly get through hearing usagi's constant screaming and crying/wailing. The old dub was bad but I'd take that over hearing usagi in the sub.
Maybe my ears are just too sensitive.

Drag-on Knight 91873

"Listen man, it's complicated."
kiwifarms.net
I don't think most dubs are as bad as everyone exaggerates. There are some bad ones for sure but a lot of those Japanese girls are just as hard to listen to.
As an example, I remember trying to watch the Sailor moon sub back when the only dub was dic, and I could hardly get through hearing usagi's constant screaming and crying/wailing. The old dub was bad but I'd take that over hearing usagi in the sub.
I agree that voice actors do get saddled by an unnecessarily negative reputation and I think it's because of insufficient ADR direction. Look at Robotech's voice actor cast and then compare them to Robotech: Battlecry. Mostly the same cast, but they sound so much better. I tend to divide anime voice acting quality on whether it was done in the 20th or 21th century. For some reason, anime dubs upped their direction and acting to decent levels, which generally wasn't the case in the 20th.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Agreed, I think most modern dubs are passable at worst. I default to subs out of habit but for shows I don’t intend on paying too much attention to I’ll throw on the dub so I can watch it in the background without having to constantly read text, and most of the time it’s perfectly acceptable. I think it’s really the early era of English anime localization that gives dubs a bad name.

Some shows are also just really hard to watch with subs. I tried watching Kill la Kill subbed and it gave me a massive headache.

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Some shows are also just really hard to watch with subs. I tried watching Kill la Kill subbed and it gave me a massive headache.
I've attempted to watch Kill la Kill dubbed, but it bothers me how they pronounce "Senketsu" as "Senkets" (WHY) and that I legit believe Aikurou and Senketsu's dub voices were switched.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
I've attempted to watch Kill la Kill dubbed, but it bothers me how they pronounce "Senketsu" as "Senkets" (WHY) and that I legit believe Aikurou and Senketsu's dub voices were switched.
Yeah, it’s kinda just a misunderstanding of the Japanese pronunciation, where the last “u” isn’t actually sounded out but rather just subtly falls off as part of the “s” sound. They just chose to cut it out completely. also happens with Mako’s last name, which gets pronounced ”Man-kan-shoke”.

I later group-watched the sub with some friends and Ryuko’s English VA plays her character quite different from the Japanese. English Ryuko is generally sassier whereas the Japanese version has her a bit more subdued when she’s not fighting, I feel. Definitely one of the first times I noticed a subtle characterization change between the sub and the dub.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
Same thing happened to me when i heard the DBZ with the original japanese audio, Goku sounds awful, i know it is voiced by a japanese lady and fans made a big deal about not changing the VA after Goku grew up but is sounds awful coming to it from the outside after being so used to the latin dub which is pretty good and goku does change voice actors from kid to an adult male.

i tried watching the tatami galaxy and the subbed version was a pain in the ass too.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
I think the issue with dubs is due to many early dubs, shoddy localization by people who change the content of the show that alter the content (i.e. 4Kidz and some of the Funimation localizations), and with some voice actors who are either trashy people or those who lack any range (i.e. Steve Blum and Bryce Papenbrook)

From The Uncanny Valley

My spirit animal is a parasitic worm.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think the issue with dubs is due to many early dubs, shoddy localization by people who change the content of the show that alter the content (i.e. 4Kidz and some of the Funimation localizations), and with some voice actors who are either trashy people or those who lack any range (i.e. Steve Blum and Bryce Papenbrook)
I keep on expecting Blum to rate everything an 8/10

Last edited:

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
I agree that voice actors do get saddled by an unnecessarily negative reputation and I think it's because of insufficient ADR direction. Look at Robotech's voice actor cast and then compare them to Robotech: Battlecry. Mostly the same cast, but they sound so much better. I tend to divide anime voice acting quality on whether it was done in the 20th or 21th century. For some reason, anime dubs upped their direction and acting to decent levels, which generally wasn't the case in the 20th.

Robotech can also be excused for this being the first acting job for most of these actors, and that most voice acting in general was often pretty goofy and sometimes downright awful back in the 80s and 90s. And Anime wasn't really treated much differently than any other cartoon at the time. I argue that might be part of the issue why dubs like 90s Sailor Moon and 80s Voltron haven't held up - they're done by actors better used to the freer nature of western cartoons than that of Japanese anime dubbing.

I haven't really watched many dubs from the 21st century, and I rarely do. And the few I have seen are mostly mediocre in quality. Some because the actors are bad, others because the ADR direction is bad, or it can be both, it seems to vary from dub to dub.