Unpopular Opinions about anime/manga -

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Robotech can also be excused for this being the first acting job for most of these actors, and that most voice acting in general was often pretty goofy and sometimes downright awful back in the 80s and 90s. And Anime wasn't really treated much differently than any other cartoon at the time.
Dubbing in general I think has been considered a rush job for years anyway. Foreign films suffer the same issue with stilted dubbing all the time, and anime just isn't any different. It's also cheaply made (4KIDS was considered an exception to the rule because they actually poured money into their dubs), the voice-actors get paid peanuts to dub, and most of them don't want to be in a cramped recording booth for hours on end. It's a thankless job.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
Dubbing in general I think has been considered a rush job for years anyway. Foreign films suffer the same issue with stilted dubbing all the time, and anime just isn't any different. It's also cheaply made (4KIDS was considered an exception to the rule because they actually poured money into their dubs), the voice-actors get paid peanuts to dub, and most of them don't want to be in a cramped recording booth for hours on end. It's a thankless job.
I argue it's gotten worse in recent times due to the limited amount of actors being used, and some highly questionable casting choices with regards to some shows. Funimation and Netflix are probably the biggest offenders of this.

Vingle

I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars! 百田 解斗
kiwifarms.net
I argue it's gotten worse in recent times due to the limited amount of actors being used, and some highly questionable casting choices with regards to some shows. Funimation and Netflix are probably the biggest offenders of this.
There's a lot of censorship and SJW language in dubs. I would never support dubbing.
Videos are a little over an hour in total, but the main point is that Funimation is a scummy company.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-UPM2JdRvM (part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDlluUEjulQ (part 2)

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
But why say this here? It's not anime.
1617397351512.jpeg

Why take the bait?

plinytheelder

kiwifarms.net
Berserk - I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I'm amongst those who think that this manga has declined significantly. It started off decently, reached its pinnacle during the Golden Age arc, and has been in a slow and prolonged decline ever since. I think the issue has to do with writer's block more than anything else. Working with the same thing for a long time can be exhausting, and especially when you have expanded the story to the extent that it requires an equally large finale to satiate expectations. Miura, like GRRM, doesn't seem to have retained the enthusiasm that he once had for his Magnum Opus.

I have to admit though, that I haven't revisited the series for a long time, and this opinion might be prone to change after doing so. Miura might have gotten a second wind recently, and the series might be on a good track to conclude and (hopefully) meet the expectations set by the story.

Beard_Chan

kiwifarms.net
Idk if I'm getting old and bitter or what but its hard for me to watch anime these days. I just see all the tropes like a high school setting in a fantasy or sci-fi world where people have special powers but they are divided into tiers, or how they all use the same character templates for personalities (using character very loosely here), how they never feel or act like real people (especially the women written by NEET mega autist manga artists who don't know how people interact)... Even the subs the acting is extremely cheesy, over the top, and corny. I've had friends who are Japanese tell me anime fans are weirdos and the shows are all for kids and are all over the top dramatic.

Then you have the convoluted crazy stories and lore where they just throw random words in from other languages that sound cool but have no meaning (Evangelion, Bleach). They come across as being middle-school level edgy stories written by an autist during a manic episode.

Its just hard to jump back to anime after watching a really good real life show like The Wire or True Detective. I don't see the characters as real people because they never act like it. Its not the medium either, convincing cartoon characters have been done.

Maybe I'm just being a bitter asshole. I appreciate the well animated parts, and still have great memories of older shows I used to enjoy (Death Note, Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop to name a few), maybe my tastes have changed, or I just reached a point where I can see the tropes and patterns clearer now. Anyone else feel this way?

Drag-on Knight 91873

"Listen man, it's complicated."
kiwifarms.net
Idk if I'm getting old and bitter or what but its hard for me to watch anime these days. I just see all the tropes like a high school setting in a fantasy or sci-fi world where people have special powers but they are divided into tiers, or how they all use the same character templates for personalities (using character very loosely here), how they never feel or act like real people (especially the women written by NEET mega autist manga artists who don't know how people interact)... Even the subs the acting is extremely cheesy, over the top, and corny. I've had friends who are Japanese tell me anime fans are weirdos and the shows are all for kids and are all over the top dramatic.

Then you have the convoluted crazy stories and lore where they just throw random words in from other languages that sound cool but have no meaning (Evangelion, Bleach). They come across as being middle-school level edgy stories written by an autist during a manic episode.

Its just hard to jump back to anime after watching a really good real life show like The Wire or True Detective. I don't see the characters as real people because they never act like it. Its not the medium either, convincing cartoon characters have been done.

Maybe I'm just being a bitter asshole. I appreciate the well animated parts, and still have great memories of older shows I used to enjoy (Death Note, Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop to name a few), maybe my tastes have changed, or I just reached a point where I can see the tropes and patterns clearer now. Anyone else feel this way?
I'm pretty sure it's because anime stories stopped being written for otaku and started being written by otaku. I put the benchmark at whether if it was made before Sword Art Online and after SAO. Before, anime was just a means of telling stories, often aimed at young people, but there are enough notable exceptions to that rule. I wouldn't call any Oshii Mamoru or Kon Satoshi movie children's fare by any standard. After SAO, that's when the storytelling part of the genre fell apart. I'm not certain what the causes are; it might be from hermit thinking or people's lives getting the standardized high school experience, but trope writing became the standard and the appeal turned solely to the art style. BTW, I also consider Attack on Titan, even the early episodes, indicative of trope writing heavily influenced by Evangelion. The difference is AoT is better at execution than SAO.

Last edited:

Damien Thorne

kiwifarms.net
Avatar is "ruined" by SJWs who subconsciously hate Japanese things
There fix it

I don't get the bitchin that new anime all look the same but not one peep of the same shit in 60s,70s,80s,and 90s
I actually got a decent explanation about this from my sister. She explained to me that anime is still aimed at the same market as it was twenty years ago, it is just that I like ‘90s anime better because that was what I grew up watching and the stuff today is neither better or worse, I just no longer am the target audience.

WinchesterPremium

Molṑn lolí
kiwifarms.net
I actually got a decent explanation about this from my sister. She explained to me that anime is still aimed at the same market as it was twenty years ago, it is just that I like ‘90s anime better because that was what I grew up watching and the stuff today is neither better or worse, I just no longer am the target audience.

There is anime aimed at all aged groups. You just don't like anime anymore.

plinytheelder

kiwifarms.net
This supposes that an industry can't decline and produce art of lesser quality.