Unpopular Opinions about anime/manga -

• Conducting some maintenance.

plinytheelder

kiwifarms.net
Even something as unreliable as a plot of MAL review scores would be SOMETHING. If the data supports it, you’d at least be able to say something like “people who use MAL generally prefer older anime”.
Would this be within the field of hard evidence, and if not could you provide an example? Genuinely curious.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Would this be within the field of hard evidence, and if not could you provide an example? Genuinely curious.
This would be data you can use to draw a conclusion, yes. However, because of your sample (MAL users who rate and review the stuff they watch) and the inherent bias (MAL scores are subjective ratings) you have to qualify your conclusion with disclaimers. It tells you nothing about the QUALITY of the shows, only how they were received by MAL users.

Ultimately it’s impossible to PROVE quality because quality is subjective. You’d have to use a proxy (in this case, audience reception). I’m not a statistician, but in the absence of other numerical data, I think MAL numbers are the closest we can get to “hard evidence” even with the other biases that need to be accounted for.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’m not a statistician, but in the absence of other numerical data, I think MAL numbers are the closest we can get to “hard evidence” even with the other biases that need to be accounted for.
I would believe that if it wasn't for Evangelion being lower than the top 20 most popular anime titles. Its general popularity is not at 55 and dropping as suggested on MAL, I guarantee you that.

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
There was a ton of derivative and cheaply made animes back in the ‘90s, and I ate it up because I was the target audience.
Idk if I'm getting old and bitter or what but its hard for me to watch anime these days. I just see all the tropes like a high school setting in a fantasy or sci-fi world where people have special powers but they are divided into tiers, or how they all use the same character templates for personalities (using character very loosely here), how they never feel or act like real people (especially the women written by NEET mega autist manga artists who don't know how people interact)
Looking back at the history of anime there's decades of cheap Q-Taro/Doraemon clones that follow the trope of "quirky robot moves in with average Japanese family", all genres and mediums have their tropes, what ultimately matters is execution.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Looking back at the history of anime there's decades of cheap Q-Taro/Doraemon clones that follow the trope of "quirky robot moves in with average Japanese family", all genres and mediums have their tropes, what ultimately matters is execution.
Not so much quirky robot but quirky ninja, quirky alien, quirky offensive native stereotype... but that's what Fujiko-Fujio kind of specialized in.

Atatata

kiwifarms.net
I'm surprised Cardcaptor Sakura has never been "cancelled" for having a pedophillic relationship in it
In all fairness, they toned it down in the anime and even more so for the original censored english release, though imo the entire series was very clearly made by women with harmless if somewhat cringey dilf fetishes.

That being said, a good number of people don't actually watch the stuff, they just like the way it looks.

From The Uncanny Valley

World's Smartest Dumbass
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In all fairness, they toned it down in the anime and even more so for the original censored english release, though imo the entire series was very clearly made by women with harmless if somewhat cringey dilf fetishes.

That being said, a good number of people don't actually watch the stuff, they just like the way it looks.
tbh I still don't like it being referred to as a "queer" classic

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm surprised Cardcaptor Sakura has never been "cancelled" for having a pedophillic relationship in it
It and Sailor Moon are practically baby's first magical girl series, but I think it even awoken some Millennial fujoshits and yurifags despite the dub's efforts to hide the gays. The manga I think also wasn't as widely read in the States despite Tokyopop's efforts, and even so, everyone was distracted by the beautiful art and the "revelation" Tomoyo loved Sakura to have noticed Rika accepting what amounts to a "promised" engagement ring.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
It and Sailor Moon are practically baby's first magical girl series, but I think it even awoken some Millennial fujoshits and yurifags despite the dub's efforts to hide the gays. The manga I think also wasn't as widely read in the States despite Tokyopop's efforts, and even so, everyone was distracted by the beautiful art and the "revelation" Tomoyo loved Sakura to have noticed Rika accepting what amounts to a "promised" engagement ring.

There’s also Gundam Wing which is still loved by millions of fujoshis and you never tell them the characters are straight. And just like a lot of crazy FF7 fans, half of them never even watched Gundam Wing.

Vingle

I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars! 百田 解斗
kiwifarms.net
There has been far FAR more anime in last years aimed at Fujoshis than anime aimed at regular males.
Do you mean the horrible reverse harems, or just straight up BL? Because I do agree on the first one, but even though there is more BL that gets animated. They are still far in between.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
This is an unpopular opinion mainly compared to mainstream views but Fate/Stay Night is not really a complicated series to get into since most of the Fate properties are spinoffs to watch while the only complicated thing about getting into Stay/Night is the Watch Order (which is only complicated since the only adaptation of the Fate route is average and of different quality to the popular adaptations of the other routes)

This is an unpopular opinion mainly compared to mainstream views but Fate/Stay Night is not really a complicated series to get into since most of the Fate properties are spinoffs to watch while the only complicated thing about getting into Stay/Night is the Watch Order (which is only complicated since the only adaptation of the Fate route is average and of different quality to the popular adaptations of the other routes)
I partly blame Gigguk for this one, people STILL think that theres a million fate things to read when theres really just one thats mandatory and thats the original VN. everything else is optional