Unpopular Opinions about Art - movements, individuals, styles, and more

Horribadger

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
kiwifarms.net
And I don't know which style you're talking about because I don't pay much attention to Deviantart. What "smudgy thing"?

[Insert Meme Here]

Bonjour--I mean, Buenos Diás!
kiwifarms.net
Last edited by a moderator:

NotAKitty

May I do onanism...?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Of course, now that I'm actively trying to find an example, I can't, but I think they're trying to make something look painterly but instead make it look like a lineless mess. Sort of like

but this is somewhat better than typical smudgyness.
It's like Tumblr and pastel colours — it's the style that's 'in', so everybody's going to ape it until it dies.

TheMightyMonarch

Yee
kiwifarms.net
I actually like Thomas Kinkade to an extent. Granted, I acknowledge that it's not "good" art but his it invokes nostalgic feeling in me. Like Christmas, Disney, etc. It reminds me of the better parts of my childhood. I feel like if art brings out any good or at least powerful emotion, then it's done it's job and has some value, even if it isn't exactly da Vinci or Van Gogh.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I actually like Thomas Kinkade to an extent. Granted, I acknowledge that it's not "good" art but his it invokes nostalgic feeling in me. Like Christmas, Disney, etc. It reminds me of the better parts of my childhood. I feel like if art brings out any good or at least powerful emotion, then it's done it's job and has some value, even if it isn't exactly da Vinci or Van Gogh.
I was going to rate this Islamic Content but it's on an unpopular opinions thread, so that would be a dick move. I agree on the general idea that if art actually invokes emotional responses, it's automatically good. Also even van Gogh is subject to this. The main reason he's so well regarded is the nearly universal emotional response to his art.

Like this.

starry-night.jpg

It's, you know.

And then there's this.

eternitys-gate.jpg

If that doesn't stab you in the heart, you don't even have a soul.

Kinkade isn't as awful as people say, though. He's just way too repetitive.

NotAKitty

May I do onanism...?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes "ugly" places fill me with a load of inspiration - old railways, broken buildings, ghettos, industrial areas, construction sides...they make me want to draw, paint or write something right away.
Yeah, there's something weirdly appealing about industrial decay and that — I've got a book or two of photos of wrecked or scrapped ships.

John Furrman

Not a furry
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Of course, now that I'm actively trying to find an example, I can't, but I think they're trying to make something look painterly but instead make it look like a lineless mess. Sort of like

but this is somewhat better than typical smudgyness.
This is inexperience more than anything. I'm not going to knock people for learning their way. It's a phase. My art had the same problem for years.

[Insert Meme Here]

Bonjour--I mean, Buenos Diás!
kiwifarms.net
This is inexperience more than anything. I'm not going to knock people for learning their way. It's a phase. My art had the same problem for years.
Yeah, that wasn't the best example I could have used but it was the best example of what I was trying to refer to at the time. This person clearly knows what a horse looks like.

cuddle striker

please wait what is your genotype
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anime is terrible. It's bad. It's like that Hanna Barbera during the cheap years thing. Just terrible. No exceptions.

I'm not a fan of Kinkade simply because he didn't paint most of his work-he hired factory painters to work in studio copying his old stuff in a variety of configurations to pump out more to sell. His own actual work is a bit bland but all right- he simply devalued it by jumping into mass production for a quick buck. Actual signed "Kinkade" paintings done by hand for minimum wage in a factory. Almost as disgusting as Warhol but not quite.

I'm a fan of Tex Avery. Only cartoon sperg people really care about him, and they really only care about the animation he did for the big companies. I personally like his sketches and paintings, which aren't really easy to find.

I also love Tom of Finland. This is only an unpopular opinion because I'm a cis, het person and therefore I shouldn't even know he exists? People are almost universally offended by the originals of his sketches I've collected- gay friends are upset that I own the wonderful lumberjack cocks, straight people are upset that they had to look at a lumberjack cock.

You can't win really.

I suppose a lot of problems with modern art come down to a bizarre elitism. If a majority of people don't find your art profound/relatable/visually impressive it's because they are unsophisticated, unenlightened neanderthals who fear anything different. If a majority of people actually think your work is beautiful or relevant, then clearly your really only making common commercial trite that proves how small your mind is.

This notion that real art must be so exclusive that only a select few can hope to appreciate it gets taken to its logical extreme where ANYTHING can be considered art......as long as it's not liked by those disgusting normal people.

John Furrman

Not a furry
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I suppose a lot of problems with modern art come down to a bizarre elitism. If a majority of people don't find your art profound/relatable/visually impressive it's because they are unsophisticated, unenlightened neanderthals who fear anything different. If a majority of people actually think your work is beautiful or relevant, then clearly your really only making common commercial trite that proves how small your mind is.

This notion that real art must be so exclusive that only a select few can hope to appreciate it gets taken to its logical extreme where ANYTHING can be considered art......as long as it's not liked by those disgusting normal people.
Postmodernism at it's worst. Pretty art is very frowned upon by the elitist snobs in academia. Some artists are wise to the current climate and attach political messages to their work instead of their own meaning because they know the politically charged art will fair well better than something that came entirely from them. It perpetuates the cycle but I won't knock the people who can do better and choose not to so they have some chance to be noticed.

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Unlike most people here there are some postmodern works of art whose ideas I can get behind, like Duchamp's Fountain.
Despite being just a urinal with a name scribbled on it, it has value as an absurd statement when viewed in context, and I like it. Unfortunately it still falls victim to postmodern pretentiousness by existentialists who say it questions preconceptions on the role of life and perception and other bullshit like that, and I wouldn't doubt that Duchamp himself was one of them. Still, it does have some redeeming qualities to it.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino