Unpopular Opinions about Art - movements, individuals, styles, and more

Tabtar

My bones hurt...
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I'm pretty sick of fanworks in general, be it fanart, fanfiction, fangames, etc. I don't hate it, and it's fine to make, but I just find it annoying to see all this fanart get a ton of praise while original works get less love. Perhaps I'm just salty that I don't have a following, but I personally do get sick of seeing just fanworks all the time. Not saying fanworks are bad in general, but I feel that the internet is over-saturated with it.
I feel this too. And while excessive fan works are mostly indicative of younger artists, their are a shit ton of creatively devoid yet skilled individuals who don’t care about having their own voice. (Or don’t want to spend the time developing their own designs) What do we do about this? I don’t really know.

It’s like the idea of Adoptables. The fact furries will buy pre-made characters as their new fursona just reeks again of creative inability. (C’mon man you are in a fandom rife with crazy big tity dragons and sparkle dogs and you can’t come up with your own ideas?).

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
I'm sick to death of these detailed drawings of girls with big ass eyes, a tiny baby bump nose and small but plump, red, shiny lips

I get it takes talent to do, but I see this shit everywhere and it all looks the same. All the artists who draws in this style just seem to draw the same picture over and over.
The worst is when they label this style as "realism" because it fucking isn't
I think this style mostly stems from wanting to make Anime waifus come to life while still retaining their animuness without landing square in the uncanny valley. It takes skill and looks nice, but it is overdone. Waifu thirst will keep this style alive on the internet forever though.

Bicycle Disaster

⚠️bicycles are fun⚠️
kiwifarms.net
I think this style mostly stems from wanting to make Anime waifus come to life while still retaining their animuness without landing square in the uncanny valley. It takes skill and looks nice, but it is overdone. Waifu thirst will keep this style alive on the internet forever though.
Something like those shitty cosplay shoops where they're trying to look like an irl animu character.
additionally SakimiChan comes to mind on these things. Nice rendering but sameface and shit anatomy.

@topic
I'm tired of seeing mundane stuff that's overdone to death. The only reason they're popular is because it's Japanese or some exotic (east) Asian shit like a box of Pocky.

howyadoin

cool cat from a bland show
kiwifarms.net
dunno if this is unpopular but picasso's art is ugly as shit

smol pl but my elementary art teacher basically kissed his ass and actually tried to fail me because i hated making stuff in his style so yes i'm biased
To be frank, Picasso's cubistic art wasn't meant to be conventionally beautiful, but rather to give a different perspective on what painting can be.

soy_king

Now with 1000% more estrogen!
kiwifarms.net
Diego Velasquez is an ok artist. If you've ever seen his horses, they look like they were crossbred with elephants

Cait Sith

kiwifarms.net
Art teachers who tell students to try out other styles besides anime do have a point.
I agree. I'm not sure a lot of kids realise that Japanese manga artists study a variety of styles and techniques that aren't just drawing cartoons all the time, and the same goes for Western cartoonists. Even if an artist has a very stylised way of drawing it often shows in their work whether or not they've had a broad art education and study from life, etc.

Though, frankly, a lot of art teachers could also do with broadening their horizons a bit, figuring out ways to use a kid's interest in something like comics to get them to try out new things, rather than just saying "don't draw anime" or whatever.

Hellbound Hellhound

kiwifarms.net

smol pl but my elementary art teacher basically kissed his ass and actually tried to fail me because i hated making stuff in his style so yes i'm biased
I think Picasso could be a bit hit-and-miss at times, but his work was often experimental, so this is perhaps understandable. Personally, I think he was a talented artist, and I liked the fact that he was willing to play around with different styles, rather than just stick with what he felt was safe.

Still, there were definitely occasions when his work was less than impressive. This one in particular, I always felt could have been painted by just about anyone, regardless of creative flair or technical skill:

These ones, I think, convey his true talent much better:

Red Shirt Number 74

took too much tylenol
kiwifarms.net
I think Picasso could be a bit hit-and-miss at times, but his work was often experimental, so this is perhaps understandable. Personally, I think he was a talented artist, and I liked the fact that he was willing to play around with different styles, rather than just stick with what he felt was safe.

Still, there were definitely occasions when his work was less than impressive. This one in particular, I always felt could have been painted by just about anyone, regardless of creative flair or technical skill:

These ones, I think, convey his true talent much better:

yeahhh, all i ever was exposed to was the cubist stuff which honestly looked shit, plus the teacher overhyping him etc etc

i actually like the second and fourth a lot, if we had looked at those instead i think i would feel differently bout picasso

edit: forgot there was a third pic

Reactions: Hellbound Hellhound

Oscar Wildean

OK Corral
kiwifarms.net

All abstract art looks ugly to me.

This is an unpopular opinion with fans. People I know who are fans of Stephen Fry love this portrait of him.
https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw09544/Stephen-Fry

I think Maggi Hambling's portrait is hideous and everything else she's done is ugly and she's an untalented hack that's worshiped in the art community. It's like I'm looking at a bad version of a picture of Dorian Gray portrait.

Last edited:

Red Shirt Number 74

took too much tylenol
kiwifarms.net
All abstract art looks ugly to me.

This is an unpopular opinion with fans. People I know who are fans of Stephen Fry love this portrait of him.
https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw09544/Stephen-Fry

I think Maggi Hambling's portrait is hideous and everything else she's done is ugly and she's an untalented hack that's worshiped in the art community. It's like I'm looking at a bad version of a picture of Dorian Gray portrait.
lmao what the fuck is that

people can slap random shit on a canvas, call it abstract, and people will love it. literally no skill involved. sad.

• Agree
Reactions: Oscar Wildean

Red Shirt Number 74

took too much tylenol
kiwifarms.net
  • Agree
Reactions: Oscar Wildean

Sluggs

*kills a cow* He ceased to beef
kiwifarms.net
I will piggy back off OP's post a little, Abstract art such as a line of blue down a canvas or such always make me disinterested. Its so generic and overdone. I'm in art school, and I have to see that shit and literal paint splatters + melty bullshit.

Another thing, I'm kinda over a lot of the older artist. But Thomas Benjamin Kennington's art is amazing, and James Jacques Joseph's work is so nice. It actually inspires me to do watercolor work and attempt oil.

Attachments

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino