Unpopular Opinions about Art - movements, individuals, styles, and more

Beluga

Your friendly neighbourhood beluga
kiwifarms.net
I know next to nothing about art but I don't get the hype with Frida Kahlo and especially Picasso and cubism in general. Just, why?

I love Futurism but I don't know how unpopular that is

Ghost of Wesley Willis

Whooping Batman's Ass in Heaven
kiwifarms.net
I like modern and brutalist architecture. There's just something oddly appealing about the steel and glass or concrete and glass buildings of the buildings of the 60s and 70s.

Recon

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Street Art is not graffiti. Street Art was the weak link by which soy boys, hipsters & assorted SJW bullshit was able to infect graffiti culture because wheatpasting something you printed at Kinko's takes ~5 minutes TOPS, requires no can control or artistic talent and doesn't make a loud hissing or rattling noise. Without significant risk there is no barrier for entry into a scene like graffiti. Lack of consequences and injury HEAVILY dilutes the mean skill level of your average street level artist. The threat of violence and arrest was and always will be the most effective way to ensure this culture remains true to the ideals that drove its rapid evolution because only the truly committed would throw themselves into it.

That said, I love wheatpasted street art.

• DRINK!
Reactions: VIVIIXI

Tard Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What that I am ugly? You have me confused here my friend. But it is not worrisome. Seems like there may be a language barrier here. Either that or I have found a troll. Either way, I hope you have a wonderful and safe night/day.
Probably the former.

VIVIIXI

kiwifarms.net
I actually like some of Marina Abramovic's stuff. Rhythm 0 in particular. It felt like an experiment involving mob permissiveness dynamics that social scientists could not attempt due to ethical issues.

• Feels
  • Informative
Reactions: Tard Baby and Recon

Fat Pikachu

Is your privilege running? You better go check it!
kiwifarms.net
The people who get internet famous are mostly complete shit but know how to play algorithms to their favor. The most offensive to my eyes, however, are those accounts on instagram that draw very generic "cartoon/anime pretty girl wearing modern fashion and staring blankly into the viewer's eyes or doing a boring pose with a blank or abstract background". All it tells me is that the person in question has a visual library the size of a page.

They're a dime a dozen and can be okay to good colorists, but often fail in fundamentals like composition, anatomy, line weight and dynamics, depth, form, etc, and have no drive to improve because whatever they shit out gets 10 gorillion likes only cause they've been on IG for 2+ years and post multiple times a day with a text wall of tags attached.

Bonus points if the generic pretty girl in question has blue, pink, or purple hair and/or a lot of little "ugly" details like body hair or stretch marks. Triple points if they also draw inexplicably floating (their feet never seem to touch the ground?) animals with broken anatomy.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Tard Baby

Tard Baby

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The people who get internet famous are mostly complete shit but know how to play algorithms to their favor. The most offensive to my eyes, however, are those accounts on instagram that draw very generic "cartoon/anime pretty girl wearing modern fashion and staring blankly into the viewer's eyes or doing a boring pose with a blank or abstract background". All it tells me is that the person in question has a visual library the size of a page.

They're a dime a dozen and can be okay to good colorists, but often fail in fundamentals like composition, anatomy, line weight and dynamics, depth, form, etc, and have no drive to improve because whatever they shit out gets 10 gorillion likes only cause they've been on IG for 2+ years and post multiple times a day with a text wall of tags attached.

Bonus points if the generic pretty girl in question has blue, pink, or purple hair and/or a lot of little "ugly" details like body hair or stretch marks. Triple points if they also draw inexplicably floating (their feet never seem to touch the ground?) animals with broken anatomy.
Name one

WinterMoonsLight

Tsar of the Internet
kiwifarms.net
Basquiat and other graffiti "artists" are not artists. They're vandals. Even if I were to play devil's advocate, their art really isn't that thought provoking or impressive. You're not making a statement, you're the equivalent of a dog pissing on a fire hydrant to mark it's territory.

Fat Pikachu

kiwifarms.net
I'll do you one better and give you 5 six good genre examples with 10k-200k+ followers each:
@lesathii
@ohri.art
@kiwingy
@verneyarts
@kloodwig
@sarucatepes (among the worst of the bunch in the way that I described: decent at coloring, mediocre-to-shit at everything else, very stagnant content).
They do fanart sometimes but mostly get popular off of posting basic bitch instagram pictures, but drawn.

Last edited:
  • Feels

Tard Baby

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll do you one better and give you 5 six good genre examples with 10-200k+ followers each:
@lesathii
@ohri.art
@kiwingy
@verneyarts
@kloodwig
@sarucatepes (among the worst of the bunch in the way that I described: decent at coloring, mediocre-to-shit at everything else, very stagnant content).
They do fanart sometimes but mostly get popular off of posting basic bitch instagram pictures, but drawn.
Name 8.

Fat Pikachu

kiwifarms.net
8 total, 2 extra? or 8 extra 14 total? I'll go with the former
@scrxbblz
@sambragg.art is a good example of the "animals" type
Also @heilaka is a personal bugbear of mine, along with @meyo on twitter because I find her stuff flat and boring but I forgive her some for at least being creative with her backgrounds and scenarios. But neither of them are "bad" at much, just leave something to be desired and pander a lot.

And that's all the humouring I'll do today.

• Feels

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino