Unpopular opinions about books -

DykesDykesChina

Human/Science
Deceased
kiwifarms.net
Here's mine: I really HATE the "Lord of the Rings" novels. They are completely overrated by most people: The writing is sluggish and uninteresting, the characters are flat cardboard cutouts (with the exception of Gollum and Tom Bombadil) and the story is darn stupid - heroic good heroes against dark evil forces. It just sucks balls.

Any similarly unpopular literary opinions of yours?

Enig

Solid Style State Senzuri
kiwifarms.net
random_pickle said:
For me, with anything, I hate it when the producer(s) decide to "reboot" or make the series extremely dark. Even in books it's become a overrated cliche.
I'M DANTE THUH DEMON KILLER

HAS A NICE RING TO IT DON'T YUH THINK

• Disagree
Reactions: Permuto and Remilia

The Hunter

Border Hopping Taco Bender
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
sparklemilhouse said:
I only read non-fiction books.
Those have grown on me lately, but I like reading magazines much more than books these days. I don't know why, I just find them more entertaining (I try to have some variety, but it always comes down to either Science, Mental Floss, or National Geographic).

champthom

"Champthom doesn't bullshit."
Founder
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The Great Gatsby is overrated. Sure, that first page about how the guy is all like "in my younger days..." and the last page about how they're all looking West is good, but the rest of the book is just like, a soap opera, I don't see why people think it's some exceptional novel.

The Hunter

Border Hopping Taco Bender
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
champthom said:
The Great Gatsby is overrated. Sure, that first page about how the guy is all like "in my younger days..." and the last page about how they're all looking West is good, but the rest of the book is just like, a soap opera, I don't see why people think it's some exceptional novel.
Dude, that's the most popular opinion about anything ever.

random_pickle

kiwifarms.net
champthom said:
In it's defense, Gatsby was made in the 1920's when that sort of thing was popular. But seriously, they're making a third movie about it. Not a movie, not a remake of the movie, but a remake of a remake of the original movie!

The worst part? It's probably going to rake in a lot of money.

Trombonista

Merger of the Double Posts
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't see it as a remake so much as a reinterpretation of the source material. I don't think any of the film adaptations of The Great Gatsby are related.

champthom

"Champthom doesn't bullshit."
Founder
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I've got one more. "On the Road" by Jack Kerovac (sp?). I was expecting this great novel that I've heard people rave about, including a DJ who went on for 5 solid minutes saying "Friends, if you only read one book in your life, read 'On the Road'" but you know what? All it is is a guy getting high and once in a while he says something remotely philosophical. But the bulk of the book is the guy smoking weed, popping pills, and listening to jazz and scoring with women. I was expecting him to find the true spirit of America, on the road, but all he does is do drugs. I realize that maybe in the 50s it might have been revolutionary and exceptional to have a novel speak so frankly about it, but now it's just boring. If Sal Paradise was alive today, he'd just go to Spring Break or Cancun. I've been meaning to read Kerovac's other novels though, like Dharma Beats, maybe they're an improvement.

Bugaboo

I have to kill fast and bullets too slow
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
champthom said:
I've got one more. "On the Road" by Jack Kerovac (sp?). I was expecting this great novel that I've heard people rave about, including a DJ who went on for 5 solid minutes saying "Friends, if you only read one book in your life, read 'On the Road'" but you know what? All it is is a guy getting high and once in a while he says something remotely philosophical. But the bulk of the book is the guy smoking weed, popping pills, and listening to jazz and scoring with women. I was expecting him to find the true spirit of America, on the road, but all he does is do drugs. I realize that maybe in the 50s it might have been revolutionary and exceptional to have a novel speak so frankly about it, but now it's just boring. If Sal Paradise was alive today, he'd just go to Spring Break or Cancun. I've been meaning to read Kerovac's other novels though, like Dharma Beats, maybe they're an improvement.
What if the true spirit of America is drugs, jazz and sex? :O

Uzumaki

Black Iron General of the Evil Army Shadow Line
kiwifarms.net
Lolita is a brilliant book written by probably one of, if not the, greatest writers in living memory. If you think it promotes pedophilia then you're so stupid that you're not allowed to read books anymore. They're not for you.

random_pickle said:
champthom said:
In it's defense, Gatsby was made in the 1920's when that sort of thing was popular. But seriously, they're making a third movie about it. Not a movie, not a remake of the movie, but a remake of a remake of the original movie!

The worst part? It's probably going to rake in a lot of money.
I hate you all. On the off chance anyone cares I can explain why it's such an important book, and considered by many to be the greatest American novel ever written (and oft compared to Huckleberry Finn).

P.S. Please don't defend the Great Gatsby by saying "it was written in the 1920s". The Great Gatsby is timeless and your inability to connect with it has nothing to do with the era in which it was written.

AAAAAAAAGH clearly this is not the thread for me. I'm the literary establishment apparently.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino