• ”Dear leader's justice is so swift.”
  1. The site will be going down for maintenance on February 24th for the XenForo 2 upgrade. Read more. (Update Feb-13)
  2. Our official MOVIE NIGHT is running. Join us on DISCORD for voice chat!

Unpopular opinions about books

Discussion in 'Art & Literature' started by DykesDykesChina, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Its odd how they all take this utterly inefficient, anti-scientific and kleptocratic regime and turn into the opposite of what is was without actually condemning it for anything other than its racism.

Its infuriating to see this in all fiction.

• Agree Agree x 6
    Apoth42

Apoth42 Hehe xd

kiwifarms.net
  2. Plus, there’s a shit ton of corruption that exists in government today that these hacks could easily make a dystopian world off of (for example, if someone were to describe the United Nations out of context then it would sound like a really horrifying organization seeking to establish a one world, totalitarian police state in the name of creating a utopia).

But that would require actually going outside and/or talking to people of various political views. Which is why, especially far leftist, writers often fail at social commentary to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 5
    Venus

Venus Dat bitch

kiwifarms.net
  3. I think Lolita is very much deserving of its classic status hell just for the fact alone it takes a most despicable subject (child grooming) and makes it largely hilarious. Humbert is such a narcisscist and has an aura of superiority due to his level of education. It's good fun to read how he's routinely bested by the plebians he scoffs at.

By any chance did you decide to drop it early? Because in ny reading the 2nd half was far more enjoyable and I absolutely love the comedic final confrontation. And his final reunion with Lolita.

The only problem with Lolita is the disturbing trend of diddlers and the shocking amount of female readers who have sympathy with Humbert. Nabokov did not make an Anti-Hero whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  4. I actually don't care if people outside the "target age" read YA books. Reading novels is good for you, and this is a case where something is objectively better than nothing. Yeah it gets grating when people compare the events of these novels with topical political points but that's the case with any book. Look how many people compare current year to 1984 without any real justification.

I admire Stephanie Meyer's dedication, if nothing else.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Replicant Sasquatch

Replicant Sasquatch Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?

kiwifarms.net
  5. I feel like YA is like McDonalds. A bit now and then won't hurt you, but most of it is pretty samey "you are the chosen one" fiction that doesn't challenge the reader at all. It's literary comfort food. Easy vocabulary, simple, formulaic plots, heroes usually win.

Wait, that sounds like some of the Westerns I read from time to time...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    The Shadow

The Shadow Rapping genie with attitude

kiwifarms.net
  6. I liked my high school literature classes. It was one of the few classes I had fun in and wasn't bored during. As for big unpopular opinions- I don't like William Shakespeare's plays even though he was of course praised all throughout the literature world. It's a chore just having to read through one of his plays.
    I'd rather read Arthur Miller or Noel Coward.

Oscar Wildean

Oscar Wildean We may be stupid, but we're not clever.

kiwifarms.net
  7. Thing is though McDonald's gives you diabeetus. Reading doesn't. Even if it's samey and safe, it's still reading. Lit snobbery is the worst because even comfortable reading flexes the brain way, way more than staring at your phone or watching Bob's Burgers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Replicant Sasquatch

kiwifarms.net
  8. I'm just happy that people are reading and excited about books.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Oscar Wildean

Oscar Wildean We may be stupid, but we're not clever.

kiwifarms.net
  9. Chuck Tingle is an interesting author that while deserve his meme status, should have more mainstream recognition. His books ain't even PG13 imo.

MadDamon

MadDamon MAD DAMON

kiwifarms.net
  10. I am a Sherlock fan and I love most of the classic stories by Arthur Conan Doyle.

However, I really don't like A Study in Scarlet, the novel that introduced Holmes and Watson.

I'll try not to give the specifics away, but basically, Sherlock solves the case within the first third of the story and the remaining parts fill in the long and no longer necessary backstory. Once Sherlock solves it and then it goes into the flashback, I couldn't help but wonder what the point is. I mean...the case is solved. I already know the answer, and I don't care anymore, so why am I being bombarded with exposition?

If this was one of the short stories and the backstory was kept extremely brief, then it probably would have worked. As is though, it just feels like we get a taste of Sherlock and then Doyle gives us all his notes for how the story is supposed to work. Try to imagine having someone spoil the ending of the story for you and then give you a long winded explanation of how the spoiler makes sense. That is almost how this feels.

Fortunately, the other novels The Sign of Four and Hound of the Baskervilles are much better (Valley of Fear is okay, but not a huge favorite of mine). And of course I could sit here all day and recount the classic short stories. I love those to pieces. But that first one didn't quite work well and Doyle clearly had some kinks to work out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  11. Fahrenheit 451 is edgelord garbage that I could have scribbled in the margins of my notebooks during middle school. And it has the prose to match.
    It doesn't explore its themes at all, either, instead opting to just plop them down in front of the reader like a steamy turd. It turns what could have been a cool dystopian story into a 256-page slog of "technology is oh so very bad, end of story, no nuance, I am extremely intelligent and deep".

• Like Like x 1
    • Autistic Autistic x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    Fat Pikachu

Fat Pikachu Welcome to the PleasureDome

kiwifarms.net
  12. Yet it accurately predicted wireless earbuds, YouTube, and popular demand for censorship in favor of inoffensive commercial entertainment

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    Replicant Sasquatch

kiwifarms.net
  13. Neil Gaiman is Judy Blume for boys who like comics.

Gravity's Rainbow is a bravura display of shouting "DICKS BIG DICKS" in the style of high literary fiction. Pynchon is a technical genius but fundamentally the book is just thousands of dicks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Fareal

Fareal Supercommander of the Brave New World
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  14. And? Monkeys on a typewriter could predict the news of every day from now until 2300 given enough time. Doesn't change the fact that it's shitty, boring, overhyped literature.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    Fat Pikachu

Fat Pikachu Welcome to the PleasureDome

kiwifarms.net
  15. And, dismissing Ray Bradbury of all people as a Luddite edgelord is pretty off the mark when he was consistently correct about everything he predicted. You're not giving any real reason why it's bad other than essentially going "lol it's bad". What is bad about it? Do the characters not work? Is the plot wrong? Or are you just personally offended he implied social media addicts would be angry thin-skinned dumb people? Because that's the core theme of the book.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Replicant Sasquatch

kiwifarms.net
  16. Le Guin's "Left hand of darkness" is genuinly shitty and one of her weakest books (also, judging by that unrelated-but-set-in-same-place story, is a wank fantasy), not to mention a waste of such cool name.

UnsufficentBoobage

UnsufficentBoobage Atleast things I wanna fuck are 3D

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.