Unpopular opinions about books -

Glad I couldn't help

Ohai!
kiwifarms.net
I got Murder on the Orient Express on sale, and I must say I'm not impressed. Feels kind of lifeless, but then again, I am not a mystery reader (only mystery stuff I've read or seen: Encyclopedia Brown as a kid, most of the Sherlock Holmes cannon, including all of the novels, and various television police procedurals of the 2000's). Am I missing anything?

Chexxchunk

Take it off the rack, if it's wack put it back
kiwifarms.net
I got Murder on the Orient Express on sale, and I must say I'm not impressed. Feels kind of lifeless, but then again, I am not a mystery reader (only mystery stuff I've read or seen: Encyclopedia Brown as a kid, most of the Sherlock Holmes cannon, including all of the novels, and various television police procedurals of the 2000's). Am I missing anything?
Agatha Christie's novels are so dialogue/characterization heavy that they're practically plays, and I think they especially benefit from being performed as audiobooks. I recently binge listened to them all and thought they ranged from so-so to excellent. The enduring notability of Orient comes from the memorable solution and the romance of the setting, not so much the book as a whole, which, I thought, was about average.

L

LU 010

kiwifarms.net
Tolkein's writing is so bad his books are unreadable. It's all incredibly dense descriptions of bullshit nobody cares about that go on for like 70 pages while nothing happens.

A Song of Ice and Fire switches perspectives every five seconds and the writing is weak. The perspectives and characters all sound the exact same which makes the entire thing boring, and every time something interesting is about to happen, GRRM switches perspective to an unrelated character picking their nose.

I don't actually mind Mary Sues in the right context. The Super Special Reader Proxy is a very effective narrative tool for certain types of adventure/escapism.

Henry James is by far the worst author I have ever read, including bad fanfiction writers.

Shakespeare was probably groundbreaking in the cretaceous era when it was written, but we, as a society, have dramatically improved our storytelling skills since and because of that, his stuff isn't very good anymore.

Cardenio

Bizarro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tolkein's writing is so bad his books are unreadable. It's all incredibly dense descriptions of bullshit nobody cares about that go on for like 70 pages while nothing happens.

A Song of Ice and Fire switches perspectives every five seconds and the writing is weak. The perspectives and characters all sound the exact same which makes the entire thing boring, and every time something interesting is about to happen, GRRM switches perspective to an unrelated character picking their nose.

I don't actually mind Mary Sues in the right context. The Super Special Reader Proxy is a very effective narrative tool for certain types of adventure/escapism.

Henry James is by far the worst author I have ever read, including bad fanfiction writers.

Shakespeare was probably groundbreaking in the cretaceous era when it was written, but we, as a society, have dramatically improved our storytelling skills since and because of that, his stuff isn't very good anymore.
Yeah I'm trying to get through LOTR but when it becomes Tolkein the Fantasy Geographer I get immensely put off and feel like picking up my phone or opening another book. And it's upsetting too since when the story moves it's fun.

The Hobbit is legitimately a better novel and I wish Fellowship had the same brevity.

Last edited:

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
GRRM is like the Michael Bay of novels. JUMP CUT! CLIFFHANGER! PEOPLE DYING! I can't fucking stand his books.

And LotR is one of those weird events where the movies are better than the books because the films cut out a lot of pointless Tolkien bullshit like Tom Bombadil.

Catcher In The Rye is boring and the main character is an annoying twat. The funny thing about trashing Catcher In The Rye is an encounter I had with a person who loved it.
I said the book wasn't great and that Holden was an annoying twat and this person went on about how the book was their favorite and basically was some awakening for their teen years.
Cool story, but the story is boring and Holden's not an interesting character. The other defense I got from this person was that Holden was having a nervous breakdown, as if that's a reason why I couldn't dislike the book.
Catcher is pretty much meant to be babby's first adventure into literary criticism, which is why it gets to be required reading so often in high school. Holden has extreme daddy issues. That's it. You're not supposed to identify with Holden...that's weird.

Last edited:

дядя Боря

kiwifarms.net
I definitely agree in that I would dread the idea of teaching Shakespeare to a group of teenagers.
Adapting Shakespeare to modern English can also be helpful although there is a clear beauty in Shakespeare's Iambic Pentameter.
Teens hate Shakespeare sonets until they are told that when he says "to put my will into thine" he actually says "I can't wait to put my dick into your pussy".

Sheakspear in general, is fucking dirty as hell with tons of sexual innuendoes and comedy that would have Elizabethan Beavas and Butthead laughing non-stop. The theater was aimed at common man, in language they understood.

This is the reason why Greek and Latin were taught in schools. Students can read Cicero in original language and understand the context as well as the message. Today a month old meme makes no sense. This is the difference between throw away pop culture and timeless classics.

Finrod Felagund

Cannot seem to stop rap-battling.
kiwifarms.net
Let's start with J2RT. I love Tolkien. I really do. Best I could say about his works is that anybody can start anywhere.
Though I recommend getting The Lord of The Rings as not the first book to dip your toes in. If I like to introduce someone to Tolkien's writing it's at best worth buying posthumous publications or non-Middle-earth works such as Farmer Giles or his hot takes of Old English lit like Beowulf.

That out of the way,
  1. The Neverending Story is cute.
  2. Publishers and authors should stop mīlking the shit out of post-apocalyptic/dystopian titles like it's the only thing that's keeping their pockets nice and deep. The immersion is much worse than video games with the same premise. Then again, it's not libraries that track reader stats on that but rather Tumblr and Twitter.
  3. You have to be both sharp-eyed and autistic enough to find good LGBTQ+ novels. It's a literal Russian Roulette in this category.
  4. Eragon is not bad for a novel self-published by a 15-year-old. I believe it's only readable when you are an adolescent yourself.

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Publishers and authors should stop mīlking the shit out of post-apocalyptic/dystopian titles like it's the only thing that's keeping their pockets nice and deep.
Dystopias are supposed to actually say something about society.

Instead it's just edgy YA shit cliches for no reason other than that other things seen as cool were also dystopias. The closest this bullshit ever gets to social commentary is a lame dash of REEEEEEEEE DRUAAAAMAPUGGHGHGH.

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
Instead it's just edgy YA shit cliches for no reason other than that other things seen as cool were also dystopias. The closest this bullshit ever gets to social commentary is a lame dash of REEEEEEEEE DRUAAAAMAPUGGHGHGH.
Divergent is literally like highschool.txt. The series is also a plodding fever dream through three different sci-fi settings and it somehow manages to fuck up every single one.

I don't know how this genre somehow became popular in YA fiction but goddamn, stop. Go back to writing about vampires who won't fuck you.

Reactions: MW 002

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Lord of the Flies deserves it's accolades, but the pacing was pretty tedious until about halfway in. I get the point was to lead into when the boys turned savage and lost all civilized edges, but it takes a bit too long for this to happen, the beginning could have had a full third truncated and I would have lost nothing.

Altera the Hun

How's it going
kiwifarms.net
Dill was dead weight in to kill a mockingbird. Looking back on it he really didn't serve a purpose and his character arc went nowhere by the time he was written out of the story.

Reactions: MW 002

turboNIG-3k

Neither Rich nor Evans
kiwifarms.net
I don't really have an idea if my opinion is that unique, but I just couldn't bear to finish even the first ASOIAF book. Sure, the setting is interesting, but I don't that whole "CK2-esque" feel too appealing. Plus, I somehow find the way he describes just meh.

Literally who?
lmao imagine being shameless enough to complain about this, yet so full of yourself that you whine about bookstores stocking one of the most well-known staples (and rather significant) of modern western literature.

The Shadow

Talk to the Hand
kiwifarms.net
Literally who?
Her argument is also kinda bullshit. Go to Barnes and Noble and realize that you're also competing for shelf space with Doctor Who tie in novels outside while legit SFF writers are pushed out for whatever trendy -punk genre is in at the moment and endless series of pulp.

Don't get me wrong- I like pulp. But I don't think you can call your SFF shelves well-stocked if you have every Scalzi abortion and your only Larry Niven book is Ringworld.

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net
Divergent is literally like highschool.txt. The series is also a plodding fever dream through three different sci-fi settings and it somehow manages to fuck up every single one.

I don't know how this genre somehow became popular in YA fiction but goddamn, stop. Go back to writing about vampires who won't fuck you.
Don't get me started on Divergent. It's literall the SJW sci-film of choice for todays shitlib youth.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino