Unpopular opinions about books -

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
Stephen King isn't a horror writer; he's a melodrama writer with a twist. Stephen King is to horror what Korra is to anime
Even as a Stephen King fan, I'm inclined to agree with you. As much as I love books like The Shining and Carrie, they aren't that scary. I argue that Kubrick's Shining is way scarier.

He is capable of writing chilling books, with Misery and Pet Sematary springing to mind. But those books feel like exceptions rather than the rule

Chexxchunk

Take it off the rack, if it's wack put it back
kiwifarms.net
Stephen King's writing method combined with his ability makes him pretty unique IMHO. Since he doesn't plan or structure things whatsoever and just rambles (according to On Writing, at least), he'll frequently stumble into stupid corners but just roll with them and eventually recover his balance, and that gives his stuff a vital feel that other more planned fiction lacks. I think it also explains his characteristic stupid endings where he just has to "wrap things up" without much preparation, and so takes whatever elements are lying around, sets them to overdrive cheeseball mode, and forces them to blow up.

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
Stephen King's writing method combined with his ability makes him pretty unique IMHO. Since he doesn't plan or structure things whatsoever and just rambles (according to On Writing, at least), he'll frequently stumble into stupid corners but just roll with them and eventually recover his balance, and that gives his stuff a vital feel that other more planned fiction lacks. I think it also explains his characteristic stupid endings where he just has to "wrap things up" without much preparation, and so takes whatever elements are lying around, sets them to overdrive cheeseball mode, and forces them to blow up.
I can count on my fingers the number of Stephen King books that have actually good endings, with the aforementioned Misery and Pet Sematary being good examples (Pet Sematary in particular probably being his ballsiest ending).

King is someone who can write really interesting ideas and concepts for a story, but he stumbles in trying to make it go anywhere, which is why his books started to drag really hard after his editors stopped giving a shit.

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
Most of his older novels were also written while he was drunk and on a shitload of cocaine. He admits he doesn't remember writing most of Cujo, for example. So he's pretty much an inspiration for writers everywhere. Just start putting words down on paper and eventually something will come out.

I think King's most annoying thing is that he kept trying to tie The Dark Tower into almost everything he wrote.

In terms of content, It has some weird shit in it. Gay anal fisting, child orgies, a re tarded child masturbating in a junkyard, but I think it was his best novel because the actual plot fits his drunken semi-schizophrenic writing style really well.

GethN7

Cute doggo is cute
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think King's most annoying thing is that he kept trying to tie The Dark Tower into almost everything he wrote.
I'm not even sure that was the original intention, as it only seemed to really kick into high gear around the fifth book.

Before that, we had aspects of his other works in it, but it still came off more as it's own work incorporating bits of his other works to illustrate how reality was a snarled up mess in the Dark Tower verse.

It's when he decided to make it full blown crossover it just got messy. It had some good ideas, but it was clear by the end it had become a Katamari ball of plot threads that even King realized he needed to cut towards the end of the last book, which turned one of the worst villains of his entire franchise into a pathetic joke and ended in a total cop out ending even he admitted was so divisive you could stop before reading it and consider the story done.

Chexxchunk

kiwifarms.net
I'm not even sure that was the original intention, as it only seemed to really kick into high gear around the fifth book.

Before that, we had aspects of his other works in it, but it still came off more as it's own work incorporating bits of his other works to illustrate how reality was a snarled up mess in the Dark Tower verse.

It's when he decided to make it full blown crossover it just got messy. It had some good ideas, but it was clear by the end it had become a Katamari ball of plot threads that even King realized he needed to cut towards the end of the last book, which turned one of the worst villains of his entire franchise into a pathetic joke and ended in a total cop out ending even he admitted was so divisive you could stop before reading it and consider the story done.
Yeah, it's a damn shame. The Crimson King is just embarrassingly stupid and an example of the cheeseball overdrive I mentioned earlier. The first three books are great post-apocalyptic low fantasy, the fourth book is where the disease starts, but it's still 75% good, the fifth book still retains enough characteristic qualities to make it interesting, the sixth and seventh books completely lose what made first few books distinctly good and are just Stephen King phoning it in with schlock and doing fan service, like Roland randomly deciding to bone that bored housewife cougar, SQUEE!. But even though 6 and 7 mostly suck, even they still have a few memorable scenes because based King simply doesn't give a fuck and is occasionally randomly interesting by just having totally unexpected weird shit happen apropo of nothing.

He knows exactly how he screwed up, though. The Wind Through the Keyhole takes place after the end of Book 4 (exactly where the series started to go downhill) and tries to stick to the setting of Midworld and supply more lore without all the crossover crap.

Last edited:

TotallyNotAwez

Professional Homosexual
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it or if I am actually original in this opinion, but Fahrenheit 451 was waste of the paper it was printed on. It's force-fed morals written like it's speaking to a two-year-old; making the moral before an actual plot.

WinterMoonsLight

Tsar of the Internet
kiwifarms.net
Doctor Sleep was a complete disappointment. It was campy and cheesy, poorly written, the True Knot felt like Saturday morning cartoon villains, and just felt like a pulpit King was using to preach. I know he was an alcoholic and Jack Torrance was basically his author avatar, but this book took everything The Shining did well and completely shit on it.

You can almost hear King doing a Mr. Mackey impression "alcohol is bad, m'kay."

• Agree
Reactions: eternal dog mongler

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
Doctor Sleep was a complete disappointment. It was campy and cheesy, poorly written, the True Knot felt like Saturday morning cartoon villains, and just felt like a pulpit King was using to preach. I know he was an alcoholic and Jack Torrance was basically his author avatar, but this book took everything The Shining did well and completely shit on it.

You can almost hear King doing a Mr. Mackey impression "alcohol is bad, m'kay."
King's greatest strength was making mundane things terrifying. Like what if that truck starts up on its own and runs you over or what if somebody buries your dead cat and it shows up again someday or what if you're trapped in a car with a rabid dog outside or what if you're stuck in a hotel and weird shit starts happening and then your husband starts trying to kill you.

Doctor Sleep immediately throws all that shit out the window once the True Knot shows up. It's a completely unrelatable train wreck. I think his editors should have gently suggested that he not publish it, but oh well.

GethN7

Cute doggo is cute
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
God I fucking hate Dickens. It's the equivalent of reading Dr Seuss. All his stuff is boringly cliche and flat.
To be somewhat fair to the man, he was often paid by the word, and jerking off cliches let him pad his work out quite a bit.

Still, the man was known for padding so tedious it was inane. Most condensed versions of Oliver Twist will cut out where he stops the story cold to wax on about how idyllic the lives of Maylies are, because it literally adds nothing to the story, is utterly irrelevant to any other points of the plot, and only exists so Dickens could jerk off to his Mary Sues.

Chexxchunk

kiwifarms.net
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is mind-numbingly unfunny
I like it, but I think that kind of humor can wear out its welcome pretty quick, and then I don't want it no more.
Douglas Adams's other books are terrible, though. I think book 2 and maybe 3 of the Hitchhiker series were barely passable, but I'm not interested in revisiting them or his other stuff.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Friendly Neighborhood Shitposter
kiwifarms.net
I like it, but I think that kind of humor can wear out its welcome pretty quick, and then I don't want it no more.
Douglas Adams's other books are terrible, though. I think book 2 and maybe 3 of the Hitchhiker series were barely passable, but I'm not interested in revisiting them or his other stuff.
Douglas Adams committing as much space as he did to Arthur flying around and boning some random woman in midair was bizarre; Dirk Gently was neither funny nor memorable.

While I love the original HHG book and TV show you can't help but feel Adams was very lucky to have that success, considering the low quality of his other work.

Dropped Burner

You got any biscuits for sale in there?
kiwifarms.net
I know he was an alcoholic and Jack Torrance was basically his author avatar
It gets into a weird area if you analyze it too much. Because if Jack Torrance is Stephen King, who's Danny? Joe Hill? Is Joe Hill an alcoholic? There's a lot of child abuse in his books as well. Was Stephen King abused as a child? Did he abuse his children?

Reactions: Venus
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino