Unpopular opinions about books -

Chocolate Guy

kiwifarms.net
The Age of Innocence is the most boring book ever. Nothing happens over the course of a few hundred pages aside from some late 19th century upper crust New Yorker choosing between his fiancé and her cousin from Europe.

The Catcher in the Rye is awful. Holden Caulfield is a whiny jackass who brings all of his problems onto himself and has an breathtaking lack of self awareness. The girl he goes on an on about being in love with doesn't appear with him outside of a single flashback. Just because he cares about his little sister and cleans the word "Fuck" from the side of her school doesn't mean he's a good or interesting character.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
It gets into a weird area if you analyze it too much. Because if Jack Torrance is Stephen King, who's Danny? Joe Hill? Is Joe Hill an alcoholic? There's a lot of child abuse in his books as well. Was Stephen King abused as a child? Did he abuse his children?
I heard that he had an abusive babysitter as a kid.

• Agree
Reactions: Recoil

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It gets into a weird area if you analyze it too much. Because if Jack Torrance is Stephen King, who's Danny? Joe Hill? Is Joe Hill an alcoholic? There's a lot of child abuse in his books as well. Was Stephen King abused as a child? Did he abuse his children?
I'm not aware of him getting violent, but arguably, just being an alcoholic is abusive in some ways, if it results in you essentially being absent as a father for long periods of time.

P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
He remains pretty popular among fantasy fans, but R.A Salvatore is a complete hack.

How can people find his crap entertaining? Even if you just want some junk food fantasy, there are tons of better options out there. This clown uses every tired cliche known to man, right down to the "it was all a dream" and "the villain is actually the hero's father" bullshit. His prose is just as terrible, sounds like something a 12 year old on FanFiction.net would scribble down.

friedshrimp

uwuu
kiwifarms.net
While I like GRRM's writing I'm tired of the "philosophical" literature critics who have come out of the woodwork claiming how your novel is shit if it doesn't have your characters dying. I guess it can work, but killing so many characters often robs of good character development in order to placate these Rick and Morty nihilist fanboys. I'd prefer a predictable but compelling development than a quick cheap death.

cuddle striker

please wait what is your genotype
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
young adult lit is garbage unless you are a very young adult. nobody else should be that into it. it's for kids, big kids, not adult readers.

fan fiction is universally garbage.

Gatsby is all right. Not my favorite, but it's good, it belongs in the classic lit section.

Jack London's non-dog writing is some of the finest there is.

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
To be somewhat fair to the man, he was often paid by the word, and jerking off cliches let him pad his work out quite a bit.
Well, that and he worked in serials. If he felt like writing a short story that's completely unrelated to whatever he was working on at the time then damn it that's what the readers are getting. IIRC there are like two chapters in Great Expectations that just have absolutely fuck all to do with the broader story.

He remains pretty popular among fantasy fans, but R.A Salvatore is a complete hack.

How can people find his crap entertaining? Even if you just want some junk food fantasy, there are tons of better options out there. This clown uses every tired cliche known to man, right down to the "it was all a dream" and "the villain is actually the hero's father" bullshit. His prose is just as terrible, sounds like something a 12 year old on FanFiction.net would scribble down.
This is the worst fucking character

I don't know who does actual good FR novels. Ed Greenwood is half-crazy and Elminster trooned out at some point because uh

P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
[QUOTE="eternal dog mongler, post:

I don't know who does actual good FR novels. Ed Greenwood is half-crazy and Elminster trooned out at some point because uh
[/QUOTE]

Troy Denning and James Lowder are decent. They wrote the Avatar series based on the Time of Troubles. Probably the best Forgotten Realms novels out there.

• Agree
Reactions: eternal dog mongler
P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
In general Gaiman's fiction doesn't do anything for me. His prose is overly flowery and all his characters are smug grating nihilists.
I like a handful of his short stories (The Price being one that actually got me a bit emotional) but agreed he's a bit overrated all the same. He seems to have a cult following from teenage Tumblr girls for some odd reason.

Safir

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
young adult lit is garbage unless you are a very young adult. nobody else should be that into it. it's for kids, big kids, not adult readers.
"Young adult" lit is for developmentally delayed adults. Normal children go from children's books to adults' books (perhaps garbage adult books, but not those marketed as "by exceptionals, for exceptionals").

Jeff Grubb's Finder's Stone.

Troy Denning and James Lowder are decent. They wrote the Avatar series based on the Time of Troubles. Probably the best Forgotten Realms novels out there.
Troy Denning also wrote The Summoning - The Siege - The Sorcerer. :cryblood: I agree on the Avatar series being decent (if spergy) books, but Denning is not a good writer.

He seems to have a cult following from teenage Tumblr girls for some odd reason.
That reason is Sandman.

cuddle striker

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
eternal dog mongler said:
I like LeGuin's fantasy stuff. not a lot, but I like it enough to read it. I like hard sci-fi too but it's really hard to find any that isn't MANWORLDWARPLANET stuff. I loved altered carbon, haven't watched the show, don't want to ruin it. Some of Greg Egan's books too.

N

NN 401

kiwifarms.net

Stephen King’s dad abandoned him and his mother at a very young age.

From what I can gather his mother responded by being overly protective which is where you get the smothering mom archetype in his stories from.

I’ve read enough Stephen King to notice certain tropes play out over and over again.

He inserts himself in his stories over and over again. Jack, Bill, the Dark Half and even Roland are all his avatars in painfully obvious ways.

Longs for that absent father figure and has idealized depictions of fathers in his work his worK when it is present.

He’s got a serious complex about mothers in his books. They are almost always obstacles in the way of his avatars growth. Maliciously so at times.
They are also usually failures at life and are single moms.
King seems to really not have any sympathy for the scared and lonely woman his mother was, stuck raising his resentful self by without any help..

He’s got a thing for blondes. Almost, all of his main females are blondes. Some are red heads.
Tabitha King is not a blonde though. Kind of a shitty thing to suggest that your wife isn’t your ideal but I could be reading too much into this one.

Wendy Torrance is the only exception to the “bad mom” trope but that’s because she’s more his ideal woman than a mother.
The hot, feisty, blonde ex Cheerleader, popular girl from high school who shacked up with the brooding artist/writer...

Yeah, this is why Kubrick completely deconstructed Wendy and created a character that one could actually see hooking up Jack’s sorry ass.

My main frustrations with King are his shitty women.
He can write good female characters if he tries hard enough: Rose Madder, Dolores Claiborne, Gerald’s Game...
However, 90% of the time he doesn’t try and they are either the mom he hates or a sex object.

cuddle striker

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Stephen King’s dad abandoned him and his mother at a very young age.

From what I can gather his mother responded by being overly protective which is where you get the smothering mom archetype in his stories from.

I’ve read enough Stephen King to notice certain tropes play out over and over again.

He inserts himself in his stories over and over again. Jack, Bill, the Dark Half and even Roland are all his avatars in painfully obvious ways.

Longs for that absent father figure and has idealized depictions of fathers in his work his worK when it is present.

He’s got a serious complex about mothers in his books. They are almost always obstacles in the way of his avatars growth. Maliciously so at times.
They are also usually failures at life and are single moms.
King seems to really not have any sympathy for the scared and lonely woman his mother was, stuck raising his resentful self by without any help..

He’s got a thing for blondes. Almost, all of his main females are blondes. Some are red heads.
Tabitha King is not a blonde though. Kind of a shitty thing to suggest that your wife isn’t your ideal but I could be reading too much into this one.

Wendy Torrance is the only exception to the “bad mom” trope but that’s because she’s more his ideal woman than a mother.
The hot, feisty, blonde ex Cheerleader, popular girl from high school who shacked up with the brooding artist/writer...

Yeah, this is why Kubrick completely deconstructed Wendy and created a character that one could actually see hooking up Jack’s sorry ass.

My main frustrations with King are his shitty women.
He can write good female characters if he tries hard enough: Rose Madder, Dolores Claiborne, Gerald’s Game...
However, 90% of the time he doesn’t try and they are either the mom he hates or a sex object.
Wendy is a beaten woman though and in both the film and book, had all the mannerisms of one.

King goes back and forth for me, either a good book to read on the train or a terrible book to get pissed that I read. I usually read the whole book though.

excuse my double part

The Shadow

Talk to the Hand
kiwifarms.net
I like a handful of his short stories (The Price being one that actually got me a bit emotional) but agreed he's a bit overrated all the same. He seems to have a cult following from teenage Tumblr girls for some odd reason.
He's basically become to books what Tim Burton became to movies: a Hot Topic fashion accessory.

• Agree
Reactions: PL 001
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino