Unpopular Opinions About Comic Books -

TheClorax

Straight up Leaving the Farms...
kiwifarms.net
I miss when villains like the Joker actually had a theme with what they do. Like how Joker’s hideouts were almost always abandoned carnivals/circus/etc, or how he took things commonly associated with clowns and made weapons or death traps out of them. Sure, it was pretty predictable, but it always had a charm that seems almost nonexistent with Joker nowadays, especially in TDK movie.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
I miss when villains like the Joker actually had a theme with what they do. Like how Joker’s hideouts were almost always abandoned carnivals/circus/etc, or how he took things commonly associated with clowns and made weapons or death traps out of them. Sure, it was pretty predictable, but it always had a charm that seems almost nonexistent with Joker nowadays, especially in TDK movie.
There was a sense of fun to him. At his best, he can be dark and fun like the Christmas With the Joker episode or the Joker Fish story.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
-I really don't like Kamala (Ms. Marvel) like I used to. She just got over-exposed and put into situations and groups she wasn't ready for.
-I know he's dead, but Steve Dillion had a terrible habit of giving his women the same weary, plain Jane face.
-Etta Candy's new hairdo looks bad on her and an inappropriate haircut for her job in the military (I don't think the military would allow something like that). She just can't pull of the shaved at both sides "mental illness" haircut.

BatNapalm

Killed Captain Clown
kiwifarms.net
Not sure why people single out "The Car Wash of Doom" as being one of the worst issues from the old Marvel comics Transformers.

Pretty much every other story from Bob Budiansky's run on the book was equally as stupid or worse.

• Informative
Reactions: Yaoi Huntress Earth

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
Recent SJW issues in comics are a symptom of Marvel being boring and stagnant by their very nature not the cause of why all the comics are shit.
I have to agree, Marvel has always been going through cycles of being awesome and sucking massive balls. Even recently before the current SJW cancer it was plagued with crappy crossovers like AvX or the flanderization of characters such as Cyclops and Wolverine just to have a cheap excuse to stir up drama between them. While SJW Marvel is arguably the worst it has ever been (it actually makes me miss the '90s), the seeds were already planted for it years before: the bigwigs wanting to milk a supposed brand new audience, ideologues infiltrating all Skrull-like, narcissistic writers jumping for the chance to self-righteously lash out against fans who've been criticizing them for years, and using diversity as an excuse for their shitty behavior.

Hell, most of their detractors wouldn't even mind all the virtue signalling (Marvel was never alien to some liberal preaching) were the comics readable.

Not sure why people single out "The Car Wash of Doom" as being one of the worst issues from the old Marvel comics Transformers.

Pretty much every other story from Bob Budiansky's run on the book was equally as stupid or worse.
Yeah, at least Car Wash of Doom didn't involve Optimus Prime allowing himself to be killed over some friggin' NPCs, or his several million years old intellect and entire personality somehow being able to be stored on a floppy disk. Sure, he deserves credit for single-handedly creating much of what is the basis of all TF lore, but you can tell that he got tired of it real quick and that it was trifles to him next to editing Spider-Man. Makes me wonder how the pre-Furman part of US Transformers comics would've looked like had they kept Jim Salicrup, Bill Mantro or Ralph Macchio on writing duties after the initial mini-series.

Personally, I'd say the best part of Budiansky's run was either the few issues of Blaster and Goldbug going rogue or his Headmasters mini. That and the rivalry between Ratchet and Megs he had built up.

-I really don't like Kamala (Ms. Marvel) like I used to. She just got over-exposed and put into situations and groups she wasn't ready for.
-I know he's dead, but Steve Dillion had a terrible habit of giving his women the same weary, plain Jane face.
-Etta Candy's new hairdo looks bad on her and an inappropriate haircut for her job in the military (I don't think the military would allow something like that). She just can't pull of the shaved at both sides "mental illness" haircut.
Yeah, I remember thinking that the first 10 or so issues of her solo were decent as far as early Spidey-ish teen adventure comic books go, with only the occasional forced meme humor and Kamala talking less like a teenager and more like a mouth piece spoiling the fun a bit. It was around when Kamala started hanging out with other Inhumans and the new Secret Wars event that things started to get worse. Wilson losing her shit over Trump getting elected probably didn't help a lot either.

In Dillon's defense, a lot of western comic book artists have some level of same-faciness to them, even some of my absolute favorites like Jim Lee and Adam Kubert. That being said, I'd say even Dillon's male drawing were suffering from being somewhat samey, Wolverine: Origins offers quite a few examples.

Last edited:

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
I have to agree, Marvel has always been going through cycles of being awesome and sucking massive balls. Even recently before the current SJW cancer it was plagued with crappy crossovers like AvX or the flanderization of characters such as Cyclops and Wolverine just to have a cheap excuse to stir up drama between them. While SJW Marvel is arguably the worst it has ever been (it actually makes me miss the '90s), the seeds were already planted for it years before: the bigwigs wanting to tard cum a supposed brand new audience, ideologues infiltrating all Skrull-like, narcissistic writers jumping for the chance to rightfully lash out on fans who've been criticizing them for years, and using diversity as an excuse for their shitty behavior.

Hell, most of their detractors wouldn't even mind all the virtue signalling (Marvel was never alien to some liberal preaching) were the comics readable.

I'd argue the problem goes even deeper, after 40 odds years is their even anything these characters have left to say or anywhere for them to go as a plot? Especially considering the absolute refusal to push the story anywhere of note. Whens the last time anything actually important happened in setting which I can objectively give a shit about? Is jean grey still dead? Will anything in Secret Empire or civil war 2 actually matter in 10 years? The SJW stuff is a man dying of thirst at sea drinking the salt water, it isnt what's killing him but it's going to speed up the process.

Last edited:

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
I'd argue the problem goes even deeper, after 40 odds years is their even anything these characters have left to say or anywhere for them to go as a plot? Especially considering the absolute refusal to push the plot anywhere of note. Whens the last time anything actually important happened in setting which I can objectively give a shit about? Is jean grey still dead? Will anything in Secret Empire or civil war 2 actually matter in 10 years? The SJW stuff is a man dying of thirst at sea drinking the salt water, it isnt what's killing but it's going to speed up the process.
Yeah, sadly that's true, especially with Marvel's refusal of doing a hard reboot á la Crisis on Infinite Earths or Rebirth. Just look at wolverine: several writers from Claremont to Hama have given him character development, to the point where there'd been several points where he had seemingly completely mastered his violent outbreaks and overall mellowed out. And this would be fine for the final chapter of the character's story, but Marvel of course has to keep their stories ongoing. Wolvie's struggle with his animalistic side is an essential motivator for the character, without which you just can't have interesting stories involving him, so Logan has been pretty much yo-yoing back and forth the same character progression and regression throughout the years. Some writers try to do their own thing with him, but in often ends with integral parts of his personality getting muddied, to the point of him coming across as a hypocrite. Hell, some people still claim him regaining all his memories during House of M (I think?) was a huge mistake.

Pretty much the same has happened to a lot of characters: they go through character development, but since they aren't allowed a permanent closure, they have to keep reverting back to old selves to provide motivation. Otherwise we'd have to keep reading stories about them living happily ever after, and there's no fun in that. I'd argue the right creative team can still do fresh and exciting things to these heroes, but there's a lot of baggage and continuity one must juggle to do so.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, sadly that's true, especially with Marvel's refusal of doing a hard reboot á la Crisis on Infinite Earths or Rebirth. Just look at wolverine: several writers from Claremont to Hama have given him character development, to the point where there'd been several points where he had seemingly completely mastered his violent outbreaks and overall mellowed out. And this would be fine for the final chapter of the character's story, but Marvel of course has to keep their stories ongoing. Wolvie's struggle with his animalistic side is an essential motivator for the character, without which you just can't have interesting stories involving him, so Logan has been pretty much yo-yoing back and forth the same character progression and regression throughout the years. Some writers try to do their own thing with him, but in often ends with integral parts of his personality getting muddied, to the point of him coming across as a hypocrite. Hell, some people still claim him regaining all his memories during House of M (I think?) was a huge mistake.

Pretty much the same has happened to a lot of characters: they go through character development, but since they aren't allowed a permanent closure, they have to keep reverting back to old selves to provide motivation. Otherwise we'd have to keep reading stories about them living happily ever after, and there's no fun in that. I'd argue the right creative team can still do fresh and exciting things to these heroes, but there's a lot of baggage and continuity one must juggle to do so.
That's why I think they should just let Wolverine stay dead (along with Jean Gray).

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just look at wolverine: several writers from Claremont to Hama have given him character development, to the point where there'd been several points where he had seemingly completely mastered his violent outbreaks and overall mellowed out. And this would be fine for the final chapter of the character's story, but Marvel of course has to keep their stories ongoing. Wolvie's struggle with his animalistic side is an essential motivator for the character, without which you just can't have interesting stories involving him, so Logan has been pretty much yo-yoing back and forth the same character progression and regression throughout the years. Some writers try to do their own thing with him, but in often ends with integral parts of his personality getting muddied, to the point of him coming across as a hypocrite. Hell, some people still claim him regaining all his memories during House of M (I think?) was a huge mistake.
Here's how you do Wolverine from scratch. Have his brains blow out with adamantium buckshot and heal like in that movie nobody likes. You now have a brand new person in the form of Wolverine without any of his old ghosts haunting him. When he first regains consciousness, he marvels at the world for the first time, but with an adult brain, giving him the ability to appreciate the depths of the world as he's re-experiencing it, & because of that, everything's a novelty to him. You can even make it to where he gradually rediscovers who he is bit by bit, but never fully. He may even discover things about himself that are ugly, like some morally questionable things he did that he's kept under wraps for decades, giving him cause to abandon his old identity altogether. Anytime you want to reverse it, reveal that Xavier backed up everyone's most essential memories on Cerebro or some shit that pumps all of Wolverine's old memories back into him, totally corrupting a perfectly mentally healthy person, but his identity loss experience gives him a new perspective on his old life as he knew it, questioning the meaning & gravity of his old life, giving him the ability to take a step back and look at the big picture of his exploits.

There, new Wolverine story that can be stretched out for fifty issues at the very least.

A lesser writer would totally fuck up such an arc, which is all Marvel has, so it may be a good thing they haven't thought it up.

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
That's why I think they should just let Wolverine stay dead (along with Jean Gray).
Yeah, as much as I love the character, you can't deny the poor knucklehead has been milked to death. At best maybe we could get the occasional mini series taking place in the past, so we could have a cool Wolvie story every once in a while and still keep his death consequential. That being said, there's just so many ways to bring characters back from the death in comics from time travel to magic to perfect cloning keeping them dead can sometimes feel just as arbitrary as having them revived after a couple years.

That being said, from the couple issues I've read I'd say Old Man Logan was a great way to bring back a Wolvie that is different from what we've seen it the last couple years. While Death of Wolverine was reasonably competently written, it really didn't give me the feeling that I've just witnessed the demise of a character I had known since my childhood, whereas Lemire's Logan, despite being an alternative version, was truly like reading about an old friend who's been tattered and torn my misfortune but is still alive and kicking with the skin of his teeth. I'd say it is definitely one of the few Marvel titles worth reading right now.

Here's how you do Wolverine from scratch. Have his brains blow out with adamantium buckshot and heal like in that movie nobody likes. You now have a brand new person in the form of Wolverine without any of his old ghosts haunting him. When he first regains consciousness, he marvels at the world for the first time, but with an adult brain, giving him the ability to appreciate the depths of the world as he's re-experiencing it, & because of that, everything's a novelty to him. You can even make it to where he gradually rediscovers who he is bit by bit, but never fully. He may even discover things about himself that are ugly, like some morally questionable things he did that he's kept under wraps for decades, giving him cause to abandon his old identity altogether. Anytime you want to reverse it, reveal that Xavier backed up everyone's most essential memories on Cerebro or some shit that pumps all of Wolverine's old memories back into him, totally corrupting a perfectly mentally healthy person, but his identity loss experience gives him a new perspective on his old life as he knew it, questioning the meaning & gravity of his old life, giving him the ability to take a step back and look at the big picture of his exploits.

There, new Wolverine story that can be stretched out for fifty issues at the very least.

A lesser writer would totally fuck up such an arc, which is all Marvel has, so it may be a good thing they haven't thought it up.
Good idea! I especially like the part of him learning ugly stuff about his past, it reminds me of this character I had written in my shameful fan fiction years: playing with the amnesiac trope, there'd be some plot device that gives an incentive for this gnome-like creature to try and rediscover his forgotten past, but he'd have second thoughts about it, claiming he's happy where he is right now in his life, and he'd fear both the person he might've originally been and the chance of his old self looking at himself as an inhuman abomination. I'm sure this has been done to death in other pieces of fiction, but at the time I was super proud of it.

A few feat junkies and continuity nerds would probably bitch about how Wolvie's been able to heal from his brain getting blown out before without any issues, but it's really not a bad setting. A few inconsistencies are bound to happen in such decades long series. Personally, while there are some fun instances of extreme gore an amped up healing factor can provide, I've always preferred Logan's regenerative powers not to be quite as insane as they were shortly before his death, so he would have to rely on his skills, brains and prowess rather than endlessly soaking up bullets and recovering from point blank nuclear explosions within minutes, if not seconds.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A few feat junkies and continuity nerds would probably bitch about how Wolvie's been able to heal from his brain getting blown out before without any issues, but it's really not a bad setting.
Memories are about fine brain structure and not about cellular vitality, so having his brains blown out and grow back would absolutely make him an amnesiac. Unless he has some physical feat where some special part of his body stored the "schematics" of his brain and recreated that during healing, that shouldn't happen.

Personally, while there are some fun instances of extreme gore an amped up healing factor can provide, I've always preferred Logan's regenerative powers not to be quite as insane as they were shortly before his death, so he would have to rely on his skills, brains and prowess rather than endlessly soaking up bullets and recovering from point blank nuclear explosions within minutes, if not seconds.
Have it to where he's only able to super-regen when he's younger, and sometimes his regenerative abilities reverse his age so the healing factor itself reverses in age, thus explaining why he sometimes super heals and gradually heals, making it a logical crap shoot.

Reactions: ShittyRecolor

spiritofamermaid

2 Commission Spots Left
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also, I liked Aquaman before it was cool.
Sorry for replying to late post, but I thought Aqauman was the coolest. I'm of course biased, but to me the whole King Arthur deal with one of his origins and when he was the lighthouse keeper (iirc, it's been forever) was sweet.

There are interesting stories that take place underwater, and you can also have crime-involved ones, but it seems like unfortunately the Super Friends Aquaman was what was stuck permanently in the public's consciousness. Plus to me he was an interesting foil to Superman, in a different way than Batman: he had a lot of the powers of Superman (strength, invulnerability, etc) but not really much of the Boy Scouts (almost animalistic).

Plus that trident hand, while super goofy, was also super cool.

I've only delved slightly into comic books though, so I could be completely wrong about stuff. But something where an event happens and the group has to deal with it underwater wherein previously-viewed-as-useless Aquaman gets to shine would be pretty cool/nice to read. But I'm sure it's been done.

Edit: Forgot a part of a sentence.

Last edited:

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
Memories are about fine brain structure and not about cellular vitality, so having his brains blown out and grow back would absolutely make him an amnesiac. Unless he has some physical feat where some special part of his body stored the "schematics" of his brain and recreated that during healing, that shouldn't happen.
Yeah, while of course comic books don't have t be completely scientifically accurate, it's always nice when writers do their homework, especially when writing about topics they're not academically trained in, especially when their world is relatively closely based on the real one (unlike, say, Dragon Ball, where blowing up the moon affects no one aside from werewolves and couples on a date). It's especially easy now that decently fast internet has been widely accessible for around fifteen years (depends where you live of course), but even back then in the '90s and '80s you'd think people like Claremont would frequent public libraries to the point where they can look up stuff like, say astrophysics up with relative ease.

Have it to where he's only able to super-regen when he's younger, and sometimes his regenerative abilities reverse his age so the healing factor itself reverses in age, thus explaining why he sometimes super heals and gradually heals, making it a logical crap shoot.
Yeah, that'd be pretty cool. Or maybe have him where he can overclock his healing factor at will for a couple minutes, though it'd leave him exhausted. I think there was Larry Hama storyline touching on how he needs lots of protein to keeps his healing working, leading to him having to play possum in the middle of a desert so he can catch some vultures to munch on, otherwise his regeneration wouldn't have anything to work with. I also remember the rebooted Bloodshot's healing abilities depending on his protein reserves, to the point where the famished nano-soldier had to cannibalize one of his arms so he could heal from otherwise lethal wounds on an empty stomach (or at least that's how i remember it).

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Or maybe have him where he can overclock his healing factor at will for a couple minutes, though it'd leave him exhausted.
He'd have to be able to do it at will though, which merits its own arc I think. First time should be a total accident, like pulling a muscle, & some psychic in the X-Men group helps him form the ability to just call on it by demand.

I think there was Larry Hama storyline touching on how he needs lots of protein to keeps his healing working, leading to him having to play possum in the middle of a desert so he can catch some vultures to munch on, otherwise his regeneration wouldn't have anything to work with.
lulz what's muscle atrophy?

Tags
None