Unpopular Opinions About Comic Books -

Commander Keen

in GOODBYE GALAXY!!!
kiwifarms.net
I really enjoy it when comic series (books, too) get adapted for film or TV. Especially when the series is stupid violent/sexual/edgy/whatever because then kids watch the toned down version and get their parents to buy the original comic series. Which leads to an outpouring of bitching on social media and that makes me chuckle.

Mike_hunt_is_sandy

kiwifarms.net
I think we should kill continuity between different books so if Batman shows up in a Superman book that's a different Batman from the Batman book . Because I'm getting tired of countless retcons countless breakups and divorces and characters dying so a writer can bring the character back to its roots because they can't reboot the series because they all connected to each other. I also think every time a new writer takes over a book The Old continuity should be rebooted to whenever the writer wants the continuity to be at.

Amber the Hedgehog

kiwifarms.net
Especially in teams, I highly prefer characters with niche powers with clear drawbacks and/or limits over more generally useful or powerful ones. Like Cyclops’ eye beam over Storm’s weather control or Xavior’s mind powers. There is just something really interesting about creating solutions from limited resources. Plus mixing different powers and seeing what resonates and witch work against each other is fun.

Samuel Belmont

It's like one of my Japanese animes.
kiwifarms.net
Sin City: Hell and Back is a poor ending to something as grand and nebulous as Sin City. I payed 40 bucks to see Wallace, a Mary Sue, kill off the greatest threats to the City. It's worse than The Batman Strikes Again.

• Feels
Reactions: Heckler1
I never really understood the draw to most comic books as a kid, and when I got a bit older it just seemed like a huge waste of time and energy because there were so many variations of the popular characters stories that you couldn't ever actually catch up with all of the existing material.
It also annoyed me that the characters never seemed to go anywhere in terms of the same old villains, same old cliches.

Not to say I don't like comics, but I prefer stand alone stories.

Lydia of Whiterun

Sworn to carry your burdens
kiwifarms.net
Yes Promethea is good, but Moore appeared so obsessed with shoe-horning occult philosophy into the damn thing that story was often completely derailed. No one needed almost an entire issue devoted to the Kabbalah. No one.

Reactions: ShittyRecolor

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Then you have readen the wrong stuff. I do not like mainstream superhero stories, too and I don't get what made superheroes dominate the American comicbook market so much.
That's a long story, but it was, in part, due to adult superhero comic fans muscling out children as the primary audience of comics. There are other reasons why there aren't many genres in superhero comics, but that's the big one.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's a long story, but it was, in part, due to adult superhero comic fans muscling out children as the primary audience of comics. There are other reasons why there aren't many genres in superhero comics, but that's the big one.
That is a really big one.

Archeosaur A. Dromaeosaur

This shit really ruffles my feathers
kiwifarms.net
I don't get what made superheroes dominate the American comicbook market so much.
The Comics Code Authority, also diamond. If you want to read a prose book on the subject there’s always The Ten Cent Plague.

My unpopular opinion: Comic books are still fun if you know what you’re looking for and don’t happen to be a political sped.

Then you have readen the wrong stuff. I do not like mainstream superhero stories, too and I don't get what made superheroes dominate the American comicbook market so much.
I probably did as a young kid I had to read what was available to me. Ironically I took to the Archie, Asterix & Obelix, Lucky Luke comics quite well because it was something different.

I'm not saying I dislike all western comics or graphic, quite the opposite, I just have never been into the mainstream super hero stuff.

Also I suppose I started reading more selectively at too late an age for it to develop into more than just a passing interest.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person

ApatheticViewer

Devotee of Nihilist Satanic Leftism
kiwifarms.net
Iron Man is objectively the best superhero

Selling weapons of mass destruction and living a lavish playboy lifestyle in his mansion. Then building a super suit for fun. Just a completely self interested douchebag.

Love him

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 person

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I'm actually at a point where anti-sjws who complain about comics are more annoying to me then libtroons who ruin the books in the first place. probably because all the criticisms blend together in a cloud of smuckles and conservatard NPC behavior
Agreed. The non SJWs react so passionately against anything that has identity politics attached to something that both sides just screech at each other and everyone looks like a shithead.

I guess if they kept it to "The book is bad, here's why..." that'd be fine. But when it turns into an unnecessary sperg fest, they just look as bad as the people that are going against.

Anyways, unpopular comic book opinion from me:

I know the Dark Horse comics Dark Empire books for Star Wars were immensely popular back in the day, but I only thought they were okay. I attribute their popularity to it coming out a time when people were starved for Star Wars content (gee, try to imagine having those days back). The story unfortunately undoes some of what was done in Return of the Jedi, and the artwork has ugly greenish hues, giving it a vomit-like monochromatic look.

There are things to admire about the book (the inclusion of Boba Fett for example) but when I hear it is the gold standard of Star Wars comics, I can't help but raise an eyebrow.

Honestly, my personal favorite Star Wars comic is a more recent one: Marvel's C-3PO standalone issue, but to each his own.

Tags
None