Unpopular Opinions About Comic Books -

L

LN 910

kiwifarms.net
Iron Man is objectively the best superhero

Selling weapons of mass destruction and living a lavish playboy lifestyle in his mansion. Then building a super suit for fun. Just a completely self interested douchebag.

Love him
Isn't he destroying his weapons for atonement?

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
Yes Promethea is good, but Moore appeared so obsessed with shoe-horning occult philosophy into the damn thing that story was often completely derailed. No one needed almost an entire issue devoted to the Kabbalah. No one.
I think Moore is at his best when he finds that sweet spot where he bends backwards enough to catch wafts of his own farts, but not far enough so his head gets stuck in his ass; there he can write tales full of interesting concepts, neat world building and some fun allegories without it devolving into self-indulgent spergery. Despite all the intellectual pretense, he's also pretty good at just writing dumb, mindless fun if his Violator mini-series is anything to go by.

Last edited:

jellycar

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Storm and Psylocke should have the Wolverine publicity that he has.

Jubilee actually made a great addition to his story because instead of just being a Robin type sidekick she helped humanize him.

Lady Deathstrike needs to be utilized more.

Wonder Woman breaking her no-kill code by snapping Maxwell Lord's neck didn't derail her character.

...oh you thought I was gonna talk about Black Widow?

Last edited:

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
Storm and Psylocke should have the Wolverine publicity that he has.

Jubilee actually made a great addition to his story because instead of just being a Robin type sidekick she helped humanize him.

Lady Deathstrike needs to be utilized more.

Wonder Woman breaking her no-kill code by snapping Maxwell Lord's neck didn't derail her character.

...oh you thought I was gonna talk about Black Widow?
If you think about it Psylocke kinda does considering how under utilized she is outside video games I'm surprised she's as popular as she is.

I never understood the autism over Wonder Woman killing that dude and why DC used it to justify shitting on her.

She's an amazon warrior princess not a disney flower and she only killed the dude when it was the only way to stop him from having Supes murder Batman.

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
I'm not a fan of the whole Speed Force concept, and how it gives the Flash all these arbitrary powers like speed steal that only marginally relate to his core power of moving really fast. I think the Flash would work a lot better as a prepmaster kind of character who uses his speed to manipulate his surroundings in creative and smart ways instead of pulling one "force" out of his ass after another. It also stresses this problem with him that a lot of DC heroes face, where unless they're dealing with universe level threats, the author needs to make them forget about half their power set in order to make the adversaries they face at least halfway credible.

Last edited:

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Wrestling Champion
kiwifarms.net
Superhero comics have a very big issue with “power creep.”
It seems like any hero story that runs long enough turns the main into a physical god. Of course, some degree of improvement is realistic and expected, you can’t survive fighting supervillains every week without getting a little better at it, but it gets insane.
Wolverine coming back from a single cell? Flash doing whatever the hell he needs to?
Fucking Dazzler being able to convert any type of energy to another like Captain Atom?
That’s just retarded.
All sense of threat is lost, and the story loses all weight. If you want to make a god, make a story about a god. Captain Atom is a good example.
Captain Atom’s story is about a man turned into a godly being who slowly loses his humanity and gains the fear and distrust of others. He longs for normalcy, but can no longer comprehend it. My favorite comic of his was The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom #2, where he get sent back in time (don’t question it) as a normal human being. He lives his life, falls in love, gets married with a kid on the way, and then gets into a thing that involves in his death. He gets sent back to his present time, and weeps for what he has lost. That’s a story about a god that did it well.
Mob Psycho 100 is good as well, for different reasons. The main character is absurdly powerful, but doesn’t let it get to his head. He then meets others like him who are also powerful, but want to rule over everyone else. It’s a story about humility, not about ‘how ever will our hero win this week?’
An example of “power creep” being handled well is Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse. Miles Morales goes from retarded kid who can’t even use his powers to, well, Spider-Man over the course of a film. But the story was about him coming to terms with himself and everything around him, not about how they will defeat Kingpin. And he gets the absolute hell beat out of him over the course of the movie, and goes through hell what with his uncle dying and all of that. The tragedy that is inherent in a good Spider-Man story was a key part him coming into his powers and being competent at using them. He didn’t become godly, he became competent.

VERY LATE EDIT: I was wrong on Dazzler. Turns out, she just made lights and sounds so powerful they could destroy the universe or some shit, I remembered wrong. Still kind a bit much in terms of power, though.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

kiwifarms.net
Gail Simone's work is almost always spot on, she's great at character arcs and her stories are fun. I actually like Aunty Humor. But something I can't "unsee" that YBZ pointed out is the obsession with food...

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
Superhero comics have a very big issue with “power creep.”
It seems like any hero story that runs long enough turns the main into a physical god. Of course, some degree of improvement is realistic and expected, you can’t survive fighting supervillains every week without getting a little better at it, but it gets insane.
Wolverine coming back from a single cell? Flash doing whatever the hell he needs to?
Fucking Dazzler being able to convert any type of energy to another like Captain Atom?
That’s just exceptional.
All sense of threat is lost, and the story loses all weight. If you want to make a god, make a story about a god. Captain Atom is a good example.
Captain Atom’s story is about a man turned into a godly being who slowly loses his humanity and gains the fear and distrust of others. He longs for normalcy, but can no longer comprehend it. My favorite comic of his was The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom #2, where he get sent back in time (don’t question it) as a normal human being. He lives his life, falls in love, gets married with a kid on the way, and then gets into a thing that involves in his death. He gets sent back to his present time, and weeps for what he has lost. That’s a story about a god that did it well.
Mob Psycho 100 is good as well, for different reasons. The main character is absurdly powerful, but doesn’t let it get to his head. He then meets others like him who are also powerful, but want to rule over everyone else. It’s a story about humility, not about ‘how ever will our hero win this week?’
An example of “power creep” being handled well is Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse. Miles Morales goes from exceptional kid who can’t even use his powers to, well, Spider-Man over the course of a film. But the story was about him coming to terms with himself and everything around him, not about how they will defeat Kingpin. And he gets the absolute hell beat out of him over the course of the movie, and goes through hell what with his uncle dying and all of that. The tragedy that is inherent in a good Spider-Man story was a key part him coming into his powers and being competent at using them. He didn’t become godly, he became competent.
Damn, last time I've read anything with Dazzler in it, her power was still limited to converting sound into light. Don't see why they had to screw with that and make her a generic energy manipulator, its specific nature was what made her power set fun and somewhat unique. That and I've always liked how she used to utilize her sound absorption powers for stealth (like when she was chasing down the Juggernaut incognito), it's a really nice contrast to her usual flashy MO.

The whole power creep\scaling is especially weird because there are multiple writers that want to take the same characters into different directions. It's nice when you have some flexibility and freedom, but it's always jarring when Wolverine's able to tank multiple hits from the Hulk in one book and then gets knocked out by a reindeer in another. While we're at Wolvie, it especially becomes transparent when they amplify a character just because said chara's popular or they're trying to push him\her. Personally I've also always preferred Logan relying on stealth and skills as well as his healing factor as opposed to just bullet sponging everything, but that's beside the point.

It also has the weird effect of making characters with no (or very few) powers feel busted, as they can survive similar threats without having to rely on regeneration or invulnerability thanks to plot armor. Like Cyclops is usually said to have athlete level physical traits, and yet he's able to pull off acrobatic stunts even Nightcrawler would be proud of (sometimes with broken ribs) when the plot demands it. There was also this one Daredevil issue from the '80s where he was casually punching Sabretooth through brick walls. I know he's supposedly pretty close to having peak human strength, but that's still kind of whack.

Last edited:

OneEyedCool

kiwifarms.net
Growing up, my favorite comic strip was Calvin & Hobbes. Some of the humor went over my head (it seems to work better on a grown-up level), but I loved all those fantasies where Calvin pretended to be a dinosaur or a space adventurer. But I wonder if it was actually for the better that the strip got discontinued before reaching the Internet age. Would we recognize Calvin if he spent more time on a PC, PS3, or iPad than he did riding his wagon or making snowmen?
My favorite was when the bicycle became its own being and tried to run Calvin over. It terrorized him to the top roof of the family house. Strips with his Mom down smacking him were some of the best. I don't know if he'd be smart enough to become a hacker and expose millions of private information like real life ones did with the break-in into Home Depot's store issued credit cards. Maybe Hobbes would've done so if Calvin was sent away somewhere like a summer camp.

Reactions: spiritofamermaid

stuffandthings

Inflammatory Metacommentary
kiwifarms.net
James Roberts has ruined Transformers conventions for me. Now they're full of danger-haired, tumblerina, gender-trenders who are completely disinterested in any other part of the IP, and who assume that everyone there obsessively read every issue of Lost Light.

LolRaccoon

Trash panda and trash boat
kiwifarms.net
Squirrel Girl was an enjoyable character in the Great Lakes Avengers comics by Dan Slott. She was cute, funny, and a sweet character. Ryan North's comics basically ruined that by giving her a "Yay me!" kinda attitude.

• Feels
Reactions: Pixy Misa

ooglywoogly

kiwifarms.net
i'm a huge comics nerd but i hate and avoid superhero comics. i think most stuff put out by marvel and DC are boring garbage. the only superhero comics i've ever truly enjoyed are plastic man. i obviously understand why indie comics aren't as mainstream or popular, but i wish they were getting more recognition. there's just so much more originality in the art styles and stories. michael deforge, chris ware, tillie walden, simon hanselmann, patrick kyle, i could go on. if anyone is interested in checking out more unique stuff i definitely recommend looking through fantagraphics, drawn & quarterly, youth in decline, shortbox, or uncivilized press to see if anything catches your eye.

but yeah, i'm bitter that "comics" have become synonymous with "superheroes", and i hate when people dismiss comics as a medium because they only associate it with a narrow genre. there's so much out there, so many different kinds of stories and characters and art styles, there's truly something for everyone. it's just that people aren't always willing to go looking for it, and (for a multitude of reasons) the indie comics community is very insular.

also, i hate the term "graphic novel". it's a word bookstores invented to sell more comic books because it sounds more "literary".

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i'm a huge comics nerd but i hate and avoid superhero comics. i think most stuff put out by marvel and DC are boring garbage. the only superhero comics i've ever truly enjoyed are plastic man. i obviously understand why indie comics aren't as mainstream or popular, but i wish they were getting more recognition. there's just so much more originality in the art styles and stories. michael deforge, chris ware, tillie walden, simon hanselmann, patrick kyle, i could go on. if anyone is interested in checking out more unique stuff i definitely recommend looking through fantagraphics, drawn & quarterly, youth in decline, shortbox, or uncivilized press to see if anything catches your eye.

but yeah, i'm bitter that "comics" have become synonymous with "superheroes", and i hate when people dismiss comics as a medium because they only associate it with a narrow genre. there's so much out there, so many different kinds of stories and characters and art styles, there's truly something for everyone. it's just that people aren't always willing to go looking for it, and (for a multitude of reasons) the indie comics community is very insular.

also, i hate the term "graphic novel". it's a word bookstores invented to sell more comic books because it sounds more "literary".
I see you follow my way of thinking on the whole matter. At least Europe appreciates comics more than we Americans can.

Reactions: Sorlock
Tags
None