Unpopular Opinions About Comic Books -

Sorlock

kiwifarms.net
Comic books are gay and so are the middle-aged/old men who read them.

The funny comic books are better than superhero comic books. As a child, I read more Simpsons/Archie than I did Spiderman/Batman.
I like Watchmen, but I also thought Watchmen was hilarious. I'm willing to accept some superhero comics can be fine based on a few examples, but if your hobby is Superhero Comic Books(TM), I'm going to back away slowly in ways I don't imagine I would from people who like funny comics.

This just makes me feel like writing a dramedy comic not about superheroes again.

Superheros as a concept are inherently fascistic and Miller despite being edgy as fuck is one of the few who understands that.
No. America has just become fascistic and is obsessed with superheroes so all our superheroes turn out fascistic. Superheroes have a higher potential to be fascist, but that doesn't mean superheroes are fascist. If you got powers, would you be forced to willingly become a fascist leader or super-soldier of some kind? I don't think you'd have to even unwillingly. Actual religious texts have people beating up angels, demons, and forms of God and the Devil himself. America making some mutant who can move things with his mind stronger than that is just a sign of a culture gone haywire, because everyone is a fascist and imagining if they had powers, they'd be a better fascist. Having innate powers which ordinary people cannot touch and no supernaturally-bestowed obligations or other externally-imposed obligations is the ideal fascist fantasy, but not all superheroes live in worlds like that and even if they do, nothing is compelling them to become fascists. Primarily, I'd expect non-powered people to be able to beat powered people under some circumstances, so making superpowers mean categorical superiority rather than only being a tool and particular advantage which maybe could be beaten by outsmarting the powered person or using technology is already a fascist fantasy.

Not a comic, but Sky High was an inherently anti-fascist movie even if The Incredibles also by Disney is basically family-oriented fascist propaganda.

Last edited:

Doctor Placebo

Soleimani's back. Tell a friend.
kiwifarms.net
Not a comic, but Sky High was an inherently anti-fascist movie even if The Incredibles also by Disney is basically family-oriented fascist propaganda.
The Incredibles was pretty Objectivist but it wasn't fascist. At no point do Mr. or Mrs. Incredible want to rule over anything. If you're going to sperg about fascism like this, please at least tell us what definition of fascism you're using, because everyone seems to have a different one and most of them have very little resemblance to the actual ideology Mussolini created.

Anyway, I don't know if this is really unpopular, but the west's and particularly America's fixation with comics being about superheroes has really crippled the medium and its artistic potential. Superhero stories rarely rise above pulpy garbage. Not that there's anything wrong with enjoying pulpy garbage, but people who sperg out about the greatness of X-Men or Spiderman or whatever aren't that far off from people who used to sperg about how deep Steven Universe was.

EmpireOfTheClouds

They climbed aboard their silver ghost
kiwifarms.net
Scott Snyder can't write villains for shit.

Need proof? Batman: Death of the Family, where he takes easily the most classic villain of all time (The Joker) and not only completely misses the point of him but turns him into a textbook Villain Sue.

Reactions: TchPiKinmup

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
Scott Snyder can't write villains for shit.

Need proof? Batman: Death of the Family, where he takes easily the most classic villain of all time (The Joker) and not only completely misses the point of him but turns him into a textbook Villain Sue.
I don't agree. I think while Scott Snyder is very clearly a Joker fanboy and has serious issues with his overuse of Joker, for example Batman Who Laughs. I think he writes Joker himself fairly well. At least at the core. Man has a serious edge problem.

I think the ending of Death of the Family is brilliant. How Joker managed to essentially kill the Batfamily by tearing them apart and left a personal message, celebrating this achievement, that only Bruce got to see, completely alone in the batcave.

If anything the major issues with Death of the Family was Scott Snyder apparently didn't tell any other writers what the ending twist was, so in the main Batman comic there's big questions of "DOES Joker know who they are?" and it's intentionally kept ambiguous and at the end it's revealed he didn't know.

But the people writing the tie ins in the Batman family books didn't know this, so they straight up write him as if he 100% did know the entire time.

If you want to criticize Snyders Joker writing, Endgame is a much better target...fuckin'..pale man...

I also realize now after writing this all out I probably shouldn't have bothered since this is for "unpopular comic book opinions" but I'm just starved to talk about comics, honestly.

Tags
None