Unpopular Opinions About Comic Books -

EmpireOfTheClouds

They climbed aboard their silver ghost
kiwifarms.net
It hurts me to say as someone who loves the X Men but lets be honest, X Men kind of feel out of place in the Marvel universe, especially nowadays.

What doesn't help is how Marvel themselves seem to go out of their way to shit on them too. Like, Super soldiers made by the government are OK, but freaks of nature are an abomination??? People who get their powers via a freak accident in space are heroes but mutants are evil??? What makes this even worse is that while it is true that people give the whole sociopolitical commentary way too much credit, let's be honest, them being turned into metaphors for the Civil Rights movement in the 1980s was the best thing that could have happened to them, and even then it still feels like Chris Claremont was the only writer who even really committed to it. And even still, a lot of the stupider things that happen in the Marvel universe are because of them too. Civil War? Basically just a rewrite of the Mutant Registration Act storyline. This isn't fucking helped by how there's like a fucking kajillion of them now. Its pretty much why I gave up even trying to follow them a couple years ago.

Fromtheblackdepths

Welcome to the Ocean bitches.
kiwifarms.net
It hurts me to say as someone who loves the X Men but lets be honest, X Men kind of feel out of place in the Marvel universe, especially nowadays.

What doesn't help is how Marvel themselves seem to go out of their way to shit on them too. Like, Super soldiers made by the government are OK, but freaks of nature are an abomination??? People who get their powers via a freak accident in space are heroes but mutants are evil??? What makes this even worse is that while it is true that people give the whole sociopolitical commentary way too much credit, let's be honest, them being turned into metaphors for the Civil Rights movement in the 1980s was the best thing that could have happened to them, and even then it still feels like Chris Claremont was the only writer who even really committed to it. And even still, a lot of the stupider things that happen in the Marvel universe are because of them too. Civil War? Basically just a rewrite of the Mutant Registration Act storyline. This isn't fucking helped by how there's like a fucking kajillion of them now. Its pretty much why I gave up even trying to follow them a couple years ago.
Honestly the conflict should be naturally created supers, I.E mutants and Inhumans vs created supers, I.E the aforementioned space freaks and government super soldiers. You could have it so that the created supers can be seen as 'one of us' among the normal who don't like the more naturally forming mutants.

But that's my opinon.

Amber the Hedgehog

kiwifarms.net

Shared universe sucks ass and should not be standard for super heroes. Some way to do crossovers is fair, I can see the point even if I don't care for them myself, and actual spinoffs staying together makes sense but in general most series should be their own things. World and how it functions are important storytelling devices and there can be only so much variation in rules before it's ridiculous. Like stated above who is and isn't accepted, hated or celebrated do superhuman abilities, but also when superheroes became a thing, how common superpowers are, aliens, gods, creation, technology, what is the maximum power level, time skips and so on. Different stories need or at least benefit from different answers, that's not really something that one shared continuity can provide.

To something completely different most of the Bat family is really boring and brings nothing that Batman couldn't do alone. Their "powers" are basically just having access to Batman's stuff and that kinda makes Batman less special. I like Batman the best when he is being basically just a really wierd detective with double live and there are only two regular allies that he needs for that, Alfred and Commisioner Gordon. These two highlight Batman's challenges and are able to give help in different ways while not taking away what makes Batman unique and powerful. Alferd knows who Batman is but isn't intrested/able to take part the actual on ground crime fighting. He takes care of Bruce, helps him keep the secret identity, is someone who Batman can talk to about everything going on and can be the support at the house with all the Battoys. Commisioner Gordon otherhand doesn't know who Batman really is and doesn't want to know but is on ground with him and has access to stuff Batman doesn't. Commisioner Gordon is able to do actual police work and arrest people but is limited by what law allows him to do and that not all people are comfortable asking help from cops. Working together with Batman allows him to keep Gotham more safe and gives Batman someway to take out criminals without killing them.

King Koalemos

kiwifarms.net
Shared universe sucks ass and should not be standard for super heroes. Some way to do crossovers is fair, I can see the point even if I don't care for them myself, and actual spinoffs staying together makes sense but in general most series should be their own things. World and how it functions are important storytelling devices and there can be only so much variation in rules before it's ridiculous. Like stated above who is and isn't accepted, hated or celebrated do superhuman abilities, but also when superheroes became a thing, how common superpowers are, aliens, gods, creation, technology, what is the maximum power level, time skips and so on. Different stories need or at least benefit from different answers, that's not really something that one shared continuity can provide.

To something completely different most of the Bat family is really boring and brings nothing that Batman couldn't do alone. Their "powers" are basically just having access to Batman's stuff and that kinda makes Batman less special. I like Batman the best when he is being basically just a really wierd detective with double live and there are only two regular allies that he needs for that, Alfred and Commisioner Gordon. These two highlight Batman's challenges and are able to give help in different ways while not taking away what makes Batman unique and powerful. Alferd knows who Batman is but isn't intrested/able to take part the actual on ground crime fighting. He takes care of Bruce, helps him keep the secret identity, is someone who Batman can talk to about everything going on and can be the support at the house with all the Battoys. Commisioner Gordon otherhand doesn't know who Batman really is and doesn't want to know but is on ground with him and has access to stuff Batman doesn't. Commisioner Gordon is able to do actual police work and arrest people but is limited by what law allows him to do and that not all people are comfortable asking help from cops. Working together with Batman allows him to keep Gotham more safe and gives Batman someway to take out criminals without killing them.
The Bat Family's only good new additions in the last decade have been Damien Wayne and possibly Duke Thompson (The Signal).
Or was Damien a 00s character? I forget.

Anyways I couldn't be fucked to remember the other 2010s newbies. Bluebird didn't pan out and is just kinda a retired sidekick type. I think the new Duela Dent iteration just officially retired in the latest Red Hood issue.

uh, does Jarro count? He's the latest Robin and is accepted as a Bat-Family member in-universe. I enjoy it because of how silly it is but it works out.

Honestly, I think there's not a lot to do with expanding the BAt-verse now. The new Ghost-Hunter character or w/e is supposedly Bruce's teenaged rival or sth. It's like he stepped out of a Shonen Manga. Not a bad trope to attempt, I guess. There's not a lot more they can do unless they outright have Batman Inc pop up again or make Bruce's identity known to the world.

I highkey think it could be interesting if Bruce wound up training an Atlantean or Amazon character for a year or so.

Anyways here's my unpopular opinion.

DC needs more team books to utilize the drifting A and B list characters. We've got like 3 Justice League books to balance things out but I think we could easily have a JLI book to just pop Kyle Rayner and some other A and B listers like Jaime Reyes, Booster Gold, and whatnot. We could also use an actual Titans and Teen Titans book duo after the current event is over.

I'm just saying, more team books lets more classic and fan favorites not get left in the dust. Terrifics is the home to a bunch of characters and it just works. The Legion of Superheroes is actually following up on some interesting ideas and a Great Darkness Saga retry of sorts. It also seems like we may get a JSA book too.

I'm just saying, team books are great for DC because of the massive roster of well known characters. Hell, we've finally seen Black Lightning get his due in the recent outsiders stuff after having it hinted for years that he could be a respected A lister in-universe.

Also we have so many green lanterns man. Kyle and Simon just need to get tossed in a team book or something before people forget who they are.

CheezzyMach

Viva Latina
kiwifarms.net

The only X book I read now is Hellions because I need my psychic ninja waifu and from what I've read it's generally the type of X book I like, mutant heroes helping people to prove they all aren't rampaging psychos.

I gave Hickman's book a shot but I hate Asteroid M/Utopia type X-Men stories.

TBH the X-Men themselves lost a lot of credibility when they started letting unrepentant murderers like Mystique and Sabretooth join the team.

Is Wolverine's book any good btw? He and Psylocke are my favorite X-Men.

Anyway my unpopular opinion is I'm actually interested in DC's Future Slate it seems to be ANAD Marvel done right so far.

Hope AT&T spares DC and doesn't shutter them.

Rich Evans Apologist

And thanks for all the braps
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The superhero genre has held back the medium's potential for decades at this point.

The mild increase of interest in "graphic novels," no matter how pretentious the damn things can be, is only good for the medium - and to that end, to breathe a little creativity into capeshit that isn't "so who do we retcon to be gay today?" or "what nonsensical and inappropriate moral dilemma can we hamfist into twenty pages?"

TungstenCarbide

kiwifarms.net
I liked it a lot as a teenager, but the constant yo-yoing of the Francie x David x Katchoo love triangle got old after a while.
Yeah, and the fact that the author (who is a very good artist) seemed to have absolutely no idea where the story should go. I remember that towards the end he inserted another crime subplot (a serial killer who hid bombs inside his victims) but that storyline never went anywhere. Also, a declared lesbian would never fall in love with a man, and spend a week having sex with the perfect-flawless-too-good-for-this-world male lead in order to be knocked up.

I liked this comic years ago, reading it now made all the inconsistencies and the retcons stick out like a sore thumb.

Edit: typos

The Pink Panther

The Nigga Panther
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Joker - Red Hood origin story/The Killing Joke is a shitty origin story persay compared to his origin story in Mask of the Phantasm.

Don't really care about any others and I'm not a big fan of Joker 2019 even if it has great acting.

Last edited:

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
Be it books or webcomics, I tend to avoid comics where the arts digitally saturated. I feel like most artists spend maybe 15 minutes on the line art (if that), then hours applying filters or whatever other cheats you get in Photoshop, its a bit like modern videogames and their overuse of filters and lens flares.

SojuDrnkr

You pissing your pants yet?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Be it books or webcomics, I tend to avoid comics where the arts digitally saturated. I feel like most artists spend maybe 15 minutes on the line art (if that), then hours applying filters or whatever other cheats you get in Photoshop, its a bit like modern videogames and their overuse of filters and lens flares.
I hate it when artists lean heavily on using 3D models for everything. You can just tell when an artist has no idea how to draw a car free-hand.

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
I hate it when artists lean heavily on using 3D models for everything. You can just tell when an artist has no idea how to draw a car free-hand.
I've seen them use that for buildings more than cars, but the effect is quite jarring. I'll confess to using 3D models for cars myself, but instead of using a screenshot of a computer model I'd snap a photo of an old toy and trace over it, often adding details on the way.

SojuDrnkr

You pissing your pants yet?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've seen them use that for buildings more than cars, but the effect is quite jarring. I'll confess to using 3D models for cars myself, but instead of using a screenshot of a computer model I'd snap a photo of an old toy and trace over it, often adding details on the way.
Cars are hard to draw. Mike Magnolia (Hellboy, BPRD) avoids drawing them as much as possible in his comics.