Unpopular Opinions About Comic Books -

Dark Emporer Dood

I exist
kiwifarms.net
Cars are hard to draw. Mike Magnolia (Hellboy, BPRD) avoids drawing them as much as possible in his comics.
It comes down to the model and detail, old cars (VW Bugs and such) are just a series of round curves, others straight lines.
Imo Toriyama (Dragonball, Slump) was better at drawing cars than faces (specifically when every tough guy in DBZ started using the same face).

King Koalemos

kiwifarms.net
Unsure how unpopular this really is, but Black Cat is superior to Catwoman in every way.
one's allowed to break her status quo, the other one is a character that DC won't let marry Bruce or do anything beyond maintain status quo. It's a shame because they've milked Catwoman since the 90s but too much relies on her relationship with Batman for her to stand alone.
I don't think Hal Jordan is interesting as a character. Compared to Guy, Jon, Kyle, and even Simon and Jessica, Hal just seems like a blank.
Hal's jewish.

Simon was a weird one hit thing that didn't even get that one hit.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
This is more of an observation I have of a comic strip (those count, right?). With Calvin & Hobbes, it seemed like there was no joy in raising Calvin. His parents were either frustrated or upset with him, there was rarely any fun or happy times they had with their son. I get that Calvin is a difficult child, but it would've been nice. (Don't get me wrong, I like C&H.)

I guess that's where a comic like Wallace the Brave (you can tell that C&H influenced it) has an advantage that even though Wallace has an active imagination and can be a handful at times, there are moments where there's a joy in being a parent. Like whenever a new issue of his favorite comic book comes out, Wallace and his mom rush upstairs to read it together and there's bonding moments between him and his father.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
I wouldnt be able to write it but I'd love to see a dark movie focusing on the Riddler or the Penguin. I dont know enough about Mr. Freeze so to me he will always be Arnold- for better or worse. With shitty plastic ice.
I could see Riddler in a darker tone. Just have to remember he's an intellectual thug who loves to prove he's smarter than everyone else. Give him some toned-down, Saw-style traps as well and you're set.

Black Mask would be a good candidate for a darker Batman film and the fact that he hates Bruce Wayne more than Batman is a neat twist. (Yes, I know he was in Birds of Prey.)

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
I don't think Hal Jordan is interesting as a character. Compared to Guy, Jon, Kyle, and even Simon and Jessica, Hal just seems like a blank.

the most interesting thing they ever did with him was have him go on a killing spree which they then retconned. While it might have partly been a diversity decision using John stewart in the tv series was a really good move.

Clarence

Benevolent Extra Terrestrial
kiwifarms.net
I'm sorry can you repeat that?
haha I'd like to see more dark super hero movies, I think there's a lot to work with. Like what the Dark Knight did- it turned something that was kinda hokey into something more gritty.
But in the same way people viewed the Joker in the recent Movie as a sort of hero(or maybe that was just a "gangweed/gamer" meme) angry reddit type "intellectuals" would do the same with the Riddler.
If a gritty and dark Riddler movie came out, Rick and Morty pseudo intellectuals would probably jump on it making the Riddler to be a hero or identify with him. The "My intellect greatly surpasses any of you plebs" smarmy assholes who may harbor Elliot Roger type resentment towards a lot of us plebs might use that movie to live out their fucked up day dreams.

Last edited:

Plague Dog

kiwifarms.net
This is more of an observation I have of a comic strip (those count, right?). With Calvin & Hobbes, it seemed like there was no joy in raising Calvin. His parents were either frustrated or upset with him, there was rarely any fun or happy times they had with their son. I get that Calvin is a difficult child, but it would've been nice. (Don't get me wrong, I like C&H.)

I guess that's where a comic like Wallace the Brave (you can tell that C&H influenced it) has an advantage that even though Wallace has an active imagination and can be a handful at times, there are moments where there's a joy in being a parent. Like whenever a new issue of his favorite comic book comes out, Wallace and his mom rush upstairs to read it together and there's bonding moments between him and his father.
I haven't read Wallace but I think you might be underestimating sweet with a punchline Calvin and Hobbes

King Koalemos

kiwifarms.net
haha I'd like to see more dark super hero movies, I think there's a lot to work with. Like what the Dark Knight did- it turned something that was kinda hokey into something more gritty.
But in the same way people viewed the Joker in the recent Movie as a sort of hero(or maybe that was just a "gangweed/gamer" meme) angry reddit type "intellectuals" would do the same with the Riddler.
If a gritty and dark Riddler movie came out, Rick and Morty pseudo intellectuals would probably jump on it making the Riddler to be a hero or identify with him. The "My intellect greatly surpasses any of you plebs" smarmy assholes who may harbor Elliot Roger type resentment towards a lot of us plebs might use that movie to live out their fucked up day dreams.
i'm all for dark movies in the genre but it has to be done properly.

Clarence

Benevolent Extra Terrestrial
kiwifarms.net
i'm all for dark movies in the genre but it has to be done properly.
True that. It can' be edgy for the sake of being edgy.
Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight series did it pretty well. It wasnt exactly dark but Guardians of the Galaxy did a good adaption too. At least it was better than the new Aquaman. They should have listened to Patrice Oneal about how to do a dark Aquaman/ Water World mash up.

King Koalemos

kiwifarms.net
True that. It can' be edgy for the sake of being edgy.
Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight series did it pretty well. It wasnt exactly dark but Guardians of the Galaxy did a good adaption too. At least it was better than the new Aquaman. They should have listened to Patrice Oneal about how to do a dark Aquaman/ Water World mash up.
you know what, Aquaman wasn't absolutely Godawful because I can see the general idea working but the film was just kinda boring because a lot of what makes Aquaman interesting is the mishmosh of fantasy/sci fi/superhero stuff more than the dark stuff.

Case in point, 2000s pre-new 52 aquaman was just totally weird and interesting. I do think they wrote the Aquaman family into a hole right before n52 because 70% of the Aquaman family was dead and they weren't doing anything with the 2000s Aquagirl or the then new Aqualad.

The second aquaman apparently fucking ran off in blackest night? It was fucking weird they never brought him back since he was interesting. You know the guy that ran around with king shark as a sidekick while the OG Aquaman was temporarily cursed to be the dweller of the deep.

A dark superhero movie can work but it'd require good directing and writing. Zack Snyder doesn't fit this bill.

A Death of Superman movie would have worked amazingly as the end of a new superman trilogy if DC knew what they were doing. Hell, you can take any iteration of the JLA to get knocked around.

The only Dark shift in a superhero movie that would outright be very hard to pull off would be Flash or Plastic Man. Flash is generally seen as hopeful and bright, so unless it's some weird Flashpoint adaptation, I can't see a dark and edgy Flash movie. Plastic Man's canonically sort of dark, but 90% of his stories are lighthearted.

you know a good dark and edgy superhero movie series they could attempt would be something like Blade.