Unpopular opinions about food -

GRANDnumberofMULTIPLES

thuper pigmentit
kiwifarms.net
I think I've tried century egg before. It was part of a congee breakfast on an international flight from China. Century egg didn't offend me, and in fact made the bland congee taste better?
That's how my full-on Chinese friend (born in US but parents owned a local restaurant for years) ate them. I think they're traditionally served with congee, actually. That would explain all the "OMG GROSSEST FOOD EVAR" videos show people tucking in to a whole, plain century egg. I've had a bite. Even with congee I just couldn't get over the completely uh... not okay look. And taking a big chomp of one straight was definitely a thing.

I didn't like food like grilled cheese or pb&j until I was 12. I stopped even eating peanut butter at 18 when it was the last thing I ate before puking (side effect of medicine) and couldn't get over the associations with it.

Add me in to wanting my oatmeal on the thick side. Just before wallpaper paste/tile grout is juuust right!

And mayonnaise (the real shit, not that miracle whip BS) is a wonderful condiment when used in the right amounts and applications. After seeing how some people apply mayo to food I see why people have such a revulsion to it. I feel that way about ranch.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
And mayonnaise (the real shit, not that miracle whip BS) is a wonderful condiment when used in the right amounts and applications.
I don't think that's an unpopular opinion.

However, I think mine might be. I actually like Miracle Whip and don't like mayonnaise by itself (although it is a good ingredient in many sauces like remoulade and aioli).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person

Sussuro

Nomen mihi non recte scriptum est.
kiwifarms.net
I'm taking part in a food tasting panel. We did three straight weeks of peanut butter. All my life I've loved peanut butter but when you start detecting flavours like clay, paint, and burnt plastic in your peanut butter, it kind of puts you off.

Food tasting has given me a lot of opinions about food that are unpopular even with myself. They are more unpopular with my friends because I can't just eat something without analysing it anymore!

On an unrelated note, we South Africans have quite a bad habit of adding fruit where it doesn't need to be added. My sister's family think it's very strange how much we love bacon and banana sandwiches.

Sussuro

Nomen mihi non recte scriptum est.
kiwifarms.net
Grilled peanut butter, bacon and banana sandwiches were one of Elvis's favorites.
I remember that. It seems America is more open to the addition of fruit than the UK is. My brother in law is very grossed out by my sister even putting peaches on her pizza. Meanwhile here you can get all kinds of meat/fruit combinations at decent pizza places.

On topic, I like to have my spaghetti separate from the sauce. Even better if I make my own; then it's plain spaghetti with no sauce; just some grated cheese perhaps.

Philosophy Zombie

I'M BACK, BABY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I love bone-in meat because I'm a complete barbarian who likes to scrape every last bit of meat off the bone with my teeth.
I think I've tried century egg before. It was part of a congee breakfast on an international flight from China. Century egg didn't offend me, and in fact made the bland congee taste better?
I don't like congee that much unless there's something of substance like scallions or vegetables or meat in there. It's kind of bleh when it's plain.

TheMightyMonarch

Yee
kiwifarms.net
I like coffee but only completely black. Adding sugar, milk, and/or cream is just gross.
I LOVE seafood. Salmon, shrimp, lobster, everything else in between (Well tuna is kinda nasty but not enough to make me gag)
I really love spicy food as well.
Most salads just taste like rabbit food to me.
I don't really like what is apparently "authentic" Mexican food here (I live in Norcal). To me, it's just really bland and flavorless. I feel like such a white girl for preferring Chipoltle burritos over that shit any day of the week.
I know I'm just preaching to the choir at this point but bacon is overrated. Sausage is way better.

Peanut butter makes me gag. Never liked it as a kid. I will eat it on apples now but that's it.
I actually think that's an pretty common opinion outside of the U.S. For example, there are cases of people from the Middle East being completely repulsed by it when they first discover it.

BentDuck

kiwifarms.net
I like coffee but only completely black. Adding sugar, milk, and/or cream is just gross.
I LOVE seafood. Salmon, shrimp, lobster, everything else in between (Well tuna is kinda nasty but not enough to make me gag)
I really love spicy food as well.
Most salads just taste like rabbit food to me.
I don't really like what is apparently "authentic" Mexican food here (I live in Norcal). To me, it's just really bland and flavorless. I feel like such a white girl for preferring Chipoltle burritos over that shit any day of the week.
I know I'm just preaching to the choir at this point but bacon is overrated. Sausage is way better.

I actually think that's an pretty common opinion outside of the U.S. For example, there are cases of people from the Middle East being completely repulsed by it when they first discover it.
I think we'd get along great. I used to drink coffee black, but for some reason, I started adding sugar and all that crap, but now that I've changed my diet, I started drinking black coffee again, and I actually enjoy drinking it like that. Seafood is the shit, and I love spicy food too.

Reactions: TheMightyMonarch

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ramune has very little flavor or sweetness to it. Besides the bottle and the manner in how you open it, Ramune is a very boring beverage to drink. Perhaps I'm just attuned to American sodas.
I like Calpico better. I think they have overseas places so I'm not sure why it's not getting the attention it deserves.

• Informative
Reactions: Mourning Dove

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I wonder why. It's not that different in concept from tahini. Or marzipan. Or any number of other nut-based things they have, like that stuff made from pistachio paste.

AveraDiane

kiwifarms.net
I have to be really in the mood for ramen or grilled cheese.
I hate peanut butter (I am allergic too).
I prefer sauces and soups to be creamy and smooth.

Bugaboo

I have to kill fast and bullets too slow
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't like food at all
Eating makes me feel sick :(

• Feels
Reactions: Luna

R.A.E.L.

Sugarbaby
kiwifarms.net
I'll assume you mean Red Delicious (which I find bland), because Braeburn is a red apple that is tart.

Unless you mean Fuji, which is probably the sweetest apple I know of other than its mutant descendant Kiku.
I have no clue, to be honest, just that all of the ones I've had were really sweet.

Tags
None