Unpopular opinions about food

• We've gotten t.me/kiwifarms set up for downtime announcements since Twitter doesn't allow us to have one.

Nonconsentual Pronouns

Apocalyptic Troon Patrol
kiwifarms.net
Onions are the best seasoning on the planet. I know I'm not just saying that because I happen to be whiter than the driven snow, but because every cuisine I'm even slightly familiar with relies heavily on them. I think it's weird that onions don't get the credit they deserve as the #1 assistant in creating any savory flavor worth tasting, but lots of people have argued with me that they're just a vegetable and nothing more. Onions are a seasoning and not just a vegetable, you can't change my mind. Bermuda, shallot, sweet, yellow, white, pearl, spring, chives, they're all magical culinary miracles of the lily family that other aromatic veggies can't compete with.

thejackal

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Onions are the best seasoning on the planet. I know I'm not just saying that because I happen to be whiter than the driven snow, but because every cuisine I'm even slightly familiar with relies heavily on them. I think it's weird that onions don't get the credit they deserve as the #1 assistant in creating any savory flavor worth tasting, but lots of people have argued with me that they're just a vegetable and nothing more. Onions are a seasoning and not just a vegetable, you can't change my mind. Bermuda, shallot, sweet, yellow, white, pearl, spring, chives, they're all magical culinary miracles of the lily family that other aromatic veggies can't compete with.

Bourdain was a big shallot guy iirc and almost every cuisine incorporates onions as you said. Onions are under-rated perhaps because they are so ubiquitous. To keep this on topic an unpopular opinion I might have is that raw white onion chopped tastes great on hot dogs.

Dysnomia

Sucka MC
kiwifarms.net
I often eat salad without dressing and if I do have dressing, it must fit my high standards and it has to be a small amount, enough to taste and not overwhelm the other stuff in the salad. But yeah, I eat salad plain very, very often.

I will eat greens out of the bag.

I usually use fresh lemon juice and basil. Or i'll put some picked beets on top. Saves calories and you don't need to drown everything in five cups of ranch. Vegetables already have flavors and you don't need to drown them out. When I see someone dump tons of dressing of a small salad it just looks gross to me.

AnOminous

I hated Woody Woodpecker and Scooby-Doo.
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Onions are a seasoning and not just a vegetable, you can't change my mind. Bermuda, shallot, sweet, yellow, white, pearl, spring, chives, they're all magical culinary miracles of the lily family that other aromatic veggies can't compete with.
I am increasingly of the opinion that they are not merely a seasoning or a vegetable, but the MAIN INGREDIENT. I am going to go full Shrek!

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net
I can only eat asparagus roasted and seasoned properly. Steamed asparagus is disgusting

Does remind me that asparagus season is coming soon in my area.
I'm slowly warming up to asparagus, but I hate how it's used for a lot of restaurant veggie sides, especially for steak. I'm more of a traditional vegetable melody person. The hell happened to corn, carrots, peas, zucchini, and broccoli?

Agoodpotroast

We're fighting today. Meet me in the parking lot.
kiwifarms.net
Most people make trash potato salad. The key to any carbohydrate salad whether that's potato, pasta, or Hawaiian Mac, is a generous helping of Dijon Mustard to give it some tang.

If you're baby who detests Mustard than just avoid the whole genre.
Yeah okay so that's the code. Because I like JAPANESE potato salad but everything else can suck it

Akashic Retard

See details below
kiwifarms.net
I am increasingly of the opinion that they are not merely a seasoning or a vegetable, but the MAIN INGREDIENT. I am going to go full Shrek!

Pineapple on pizza is perfectly fine and the autists who keep sperging about it like it’s some devil’s concoction need to chill the fuck out.
It's a meme for normies. Like 10 or so years ago when people would not shut the fuck up about bacon being good.

Water-T

The Pork-trait of Darian Gray
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Truffles taste like death and if you like them you must like the taste of death, there's my hot take. :story:
Truffles are a fungus, and fungus feeds off dead things, so you're right in a way.