Unpopular opinions about food

• t.me/kiwifarms is our Telegram for downtime and announcements.
    • The .is domain is disabled due to issues with the CDN and having multiple domains.

Samson Pumpkin Jr.

kiwifarms.net
Anchovies most of the time suck ass because cans put enough salt in it to compete with the red sea.

In reality if you get some that are only put in olive oil it just tastes like regular fish because it is.

Everyone who hates it has only had the overly processed shit or are people who already don't like fish.
I completely agree! I think people who don't like fish or anchovies specifically, have only had the canned, overly processed versions. If you can get your hands on some fresh anchovies (or even better, caught yourself), they are a completely different story. The flavor is so much more subtle and not nearly as salty.

AnOminous

I hated Woody Woodpecker and Scooby-Doo.
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
(Some) American MREs are my favorite go-to food, especially when I can't be bothered to cook a proper meal. Actually I *prefer* eating MREs over most other foods. I wish those MRE crackers could be bought separately, they're a kickass snack food!
The big square crackers with peanut butter are great, although they will stick to the roof of your mouth.

no-exit

kiwifarms.net
I try really hard to like wine, but it all just tastes like varying degrees of vinegar to me. I can get behind using it in cooking though.
Not sure if unpopular outside my friend group, but I love root beer.
Among fast food chains, McDonald's has the best hamburger.
My mom's cooking is better than your mom's cooking!

Colonel Gaddafi

Zenga Zenga!
kiwifarms.net
Unpopular only amongst my British friends, but…sushi in the UK is utter trash. I know there are some insanely expensive sushi restaurants that are meant to be good, but I’m talking about average high street sushi as compared to it’s US counterpart.

Now, growing up sushi wasn’t really a thing in my home country, so I first got exposed to it while in the US. I know there’s a lot of sushi purists out there who get their knickers in a knot over westernized ‘inside-out’ rolls and shit like spicy Mayo and cream cheese, but when done right it’s delicious, even if westerners still can’t figure out how to correctly eat it. Arguably the best sushi I ever had was while I was living in Ukraine, where they go heavy on the cheese. When I would go out and treat myself I’d get an elaborate roll, and then a traditional maki and some nigiri or sashimi, good stuff. So when I moved to the UK part time I expected a similar sushi climate to that of the US or Ukraine, I was sadly mistaken.

First off, I have yet to go to a sushi restaurant where actual Japanese people work. In the US the overwhelming majority of mid level sushi restaurants have a Japanese chef, I can’t say that’s the same for the whole of the US, but it was in the bumfuck area I lived in. At first I was optimistic, after all, the sushi I had in Ukraine was overwhelmingly made by Ukrainians. So surely Pakistani and Indians can manage? Ha, no. The second issue is the ingredients themselves, they’re usually not that fresh, brownish avocado, slimy tuna, soft cucumbers…I could go on, but you get the idea. Then there’s the stuff I just find odd, French fried onion (!), plain mayo, and duck sauce are common toppings, but cream cheese is almost nonexistent. Really weird considering it’s popularity amongst other Europeans both in Europe and scattered throughout the world. I once asked an Indian to add some ‘Philadelphia’ to my rolls, I literally got a roll with a trace amount smeared on the top like shit smeared on toilet paper. The high end sushi places go overboard on the weird ingredients, putting peas and the like in maki rolls, which I don’t mind, just don’t charge me extra for your ‘creativity’, because in the states they’ll do the same shit for half the price. Which brings me to my final complaint. Sushi isn’t exactly cheap anywhere, but compared to the US, Ukraine, and now even my native land, the prices in the UK are exorbitant. If I were getting quality product I wouldn’t bitch and moan, but I’m paying $60.00 for a Paki to haphazardly roll some out of date shit in rice.

I’ve simply given up the search for edible sushi in the UK, but whenever I tell Brits this they get weirdly offended, even if they’ve had superior sushi in other places. So now I suffer in silence.

SouthernBitchBob

kiwifarms.net
I completely agree! I think people who don't like fish or anchovies specifically, have only had the canned, overly processed versions. If you can get your hands on some fresh anchovies (or even better, caught yourself), they are a completely different story. The flavor is so much more subtle and not nearly as salty.
I'm one of those alien weirdos who hates fish. I'll occasionally enjoy a fish if it's cooked well with flavors that make it not taste like fish. I didn't have it a lot growing up, so fish is in that weird "I'm not sure this is edible" part of my brain. If you try to categorize it the same way you do other meat, its more rubbery/softer texture and odd taste is vaguely reminiscent of meat that's going bad.

Plus fish is a total bitch to cook compared to other meat. It rots quickly, and is easy to make it overcooked and nasty. Chicken? Beef? Those are hard meats to ruin. You can still make them subpar, but it's so easy to make seafood gross if you don't do it right. I just haven't bothered trying to develop a palette for it. Fish smells horrible anyway.

Water-T

The Pork-trait of Darian Gray
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tomatoes are disgusting
I only hate tomatoes when they are cooked whole, because they turn mushy and the skin becomes papery. It's ok as sauce because it's processed with the skins removed and the texture changes.

Shek$il

MMMMMmmmmmmm...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ice in alcohol is gay. Chilling any alcohol that isn't beer is gay. Adding water to it is gay. Combining it with soda and juices is very gay. Do shots or pour a glass straight. Everything else is a means to reduce the flavor and make it easier on your widdle tummy.

No man who's pouring apple juice, or diet coke, or strawberry cum into his liquor has a right to look down on others.

agility_

kiwifarms.net
While I love bourbon and whiskey, the idea that these are "sophisticated drinks for well-to-do people of culture" is fucking laughable. The rabble distilled barley spirits while nobility gargled on imported port wine or sparkling champagne. It's been about 100 years or so since whiskey brewers began pushing for this marketing change.

What's the next high brow beverage, moonshine?

Calzaghe

kiwifarms.net
I only hate tomatoes when they are cooked whole, because they turn mushy and the skin becomes papery. It's ok as sauce because it's processed with the skins removed and the texture changes.
Maybe it’s because I got food poisoning on pizza, but I just can’t stand any form of tomato.

NOT Sword Fighter Super

"Cheerleeder" of Slapfights
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll eat the entire apple, core and all.

I think this started because the people who used to watch me when I was little would just cut the core out from the center of the apple, and then when they stopped watching me I was just used to eating the whole thing, but it's really all edible.

Sure, the seeds are poisonous, but in the same way that Mountain Dew can make you sterile--you have to eat a whole lot of them for it to matter. Plus the seeds are easy enough to not eat. Just spit them out like watermelon seeds.

Clown Balls

This clown is DOWN!
kiwifarms.net
While I love bourbon and whiskey, the idea that these are "sophisticated drinks for well-to-do people of culture" is fucking laughable. The rabble distilled barley spirits while nobility gargled on imported port wine or sparkling champagne. It's been about 100 years or so since whiskey brewers began pushing for this marketing change.

What's the next high brow beverage, moonshine?

I was amazed to find that hipsters have suddenly latched onto whiskey.

The male ones seem to be into it as a part of their neurotic fixation with using stuff from the 1800s to feel more manly. Overpriced cake soaps in wooden containers, barbershop razors, "beard oil", cigars and now muh craft bourbon.

Cows all.

Unpopular only amongst my British friends, but…sushi in the UK is utter trash. I know there are some insanely expensive sushi restaurants that are meant to be good, but I’m talking about average high street sushi as compared to it’s US counterpart.

Now, growing up sushi wasn’t really a thing in my home country, so I first got exposed to it while in the US. I know there’s a lot of sushi purists out there who get their knickers in a knot over westernized ‘inside-out’ rolls and shit like spicy Mayo and cream cheese, but when done right it’s delicious, even if westerners still can’t figure out how to correctly eat it. Arguably the best sushi I ever had was while I was living in Ukraine, where they go heavy on the cheese. When I would go out and treat myself I’d get an elaborate roll, and then a traditional maki and some nigiri or sashimi, good stuff. So when I moved to the UK part time I expected a similar sushi climate to that of the US or Ukraine, I was sadly mistaken.

First off, I have yet to go to a sushi restaurant where actual Japanese people work. In the US the overwhelming majority of mid level sushi restaurants have a Japanese chef, I can’t say that’s the same for the whole of the US, but it was in the bumfuck area I lived in. At first I was optimistic, after all, the sushi I had in Ukraine was overwhelmingly made by Ukrainians. So surely Pakistani and Indians can manage? Ha, no. The second issue is the ingredients themselves, they’re usually not that fresh, brownish avocado, slimy tuna, soft cucumbers…I could go on, but you get the idea. Then there’s the stuff I just find odd, French fried onion (!), plain mayo, and duck sauce are common toppings, but cream cheese is almost nonexistent. Really weird considering it’s popularity amongst other Europeans both in Europe and scattered throughout the world. I once asked an Indian to add some ‘Philadelphia’ to my rolls, I literally got a roll with a trace amount smeared on the top like shit smeared on toilet paper. The high end sushi places go overboard on the weird ingredients, putting peas and the like in maki rolls, which I don’t mind, just don’t charge me extra for your ‘creativity’, because in the states they’ll do the same shit for half the price. Which brings me to my final complaint. Sushi isn’t exactly cheap anywhere, but compared to the US, Ukraine, and now even my native land, the prices in the UK are exorbitant. If I were getting quality product I wouldn’t bitch and moan, but I’m paying $60.00 for a Paki to haphazardly roll some out of date shit in rice.

I’ve simply given up the search for edible sushi in the UK, but whenever I tell Brits this they get weirdly offended, even if they’ve had superior sushi in other places. So now I suffer in silence.
Native bong here. I don't disagree with anything you've said regarding sushi. It's utter shite in the UK, even in the smaller restaurants which have (at least one) Japanese chef. The average fare you'd get in a sushi restaurant is scarcely better than the prepackaged dogshit in Tesco - except in the restaurant you'll be paying 5x the price, at least.

Best sushi I ever had was in Hungary, with an exclusively Japanese cook staff. And it wasn't exactly expensive either.

Thread tax:

I'm not a foodie, at all. I can cook, and reserve a few nice dishes for dates, guests and the like; but year round I provision for my own bodybuilding diet, with few exceptions.

I enjoy eating nice food in restaurants, and fully relish in the pleasure of paying someone to make me a delicious meal. But I have zero interest in doing that for myself. An hour or more to cook a dish I'll destroy in less than ten minutes, and likely be hungry again within the hour. I just don't see the point.

Without sounding too autistic, food for me is largely fuel. I want my macros, I want it to at least taste 'okay;' but I have no globohomo hard-on for using exotic ingredients, unknown vegetables and spices, just to appear as a knowledgeable cuisineur or foodie douche. I've dated the type, and have some friends like that. Fair play if they want to do that, but I just don't get it.

I have the same breakfast, lunch, and dinner(s) every day, with few exceptions save the very rare fast food meal or snacks. I've no doubt this diet is influenced by my dedication in the gym, but even prior to that I wasn't a big food guy.