Unpopular opinions about food -

Water-T

My pussy tastes like Pepsi-cola.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm not really sure where to put this, but I bought some dried blueberries recently. I ordered them online so I didn't really get a chance to look at the ingredients.
Upon trying them, I noticed they were definitely sweetened, but also that the blueberry flavor was both stronger than expected as well as slightly "off" and artificial. Flipped the package over and sure enough, they have "natural flavor" added.
I'm positive they added more blueberry flavor to these dried blueberries and I'm absolutely appalled. The blueberries aren't good enough already? Needed more blueberry in them? What the fuck? The absolute state of American food. Everyone's palette is so fucked up that sugary, dried fruit needs more sugar and more fruit flavor.
Agreed. I hate trying to find good dried fruit, only to see that they added sugar and/or flavorings. Bitch, I just want dried fruit and not this other shit, ok? I'm ready to just by a food dehydrator and go HAM making my own dried pineapple, mango, and kiwis. (the fruit, not one of us).

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Agreed. I hate trying to find good dried fruit, only to see that they added sugar and/or flavorings. Bitch, I just want dried fruit and not this other shit, ok? I'm ready to just by a food dehydrator and go HAM making my own dried pineapple, mango, and kiwis. (the fruit, not one of us).
I had a dehydrater before and it worked pretty well; I got rid of it because it was bulky and I was too lazy to use it. You can dehydrate in an oven too! Pineapple is my favorite.
I stopped eating a lot of dehydrated fruit because of the added sugar. They sell that shit in bulk bins like it's healthy and it's not.

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I find that there tends to be three grades of Japanese restaurants in the West that often depend on their owners:
1.) Chinese-owned: Usually the cheapest, and the least Japanese. This is where you go to get your all-you-can-eat cheap shiny teriyaki chicken and salmon sushi.
2.) Korean-owned: These restaurants sit somewhere in the middle in terms of quality and price-range.
3.) Japanese-owned: The most authentic, and usually the most expensive.

As usual, there are exceptions to the rule in all cases. I honestly wonder if Korean-owned Japanese restaurants are often better than Chinese-owned places because of the similarities between some of their dishes and flavor palettes?
My take is that Chinese restaurants have been gaming the system for so long and have a template that works, that they often don't deviate from too much. They figured out a long time ago that fat Americans love sugary, salty, fatty foods. I've seen a lot of Chinese owned restaurants that claim they are some other kind of cuisine (Cajun, Japanese) and they have the same dishes and concepts as the "Chinese" restaurant.

If you look into the history of it, a lot of this stems from the Chinese exclusion act way back when that prohibited Chinese immigration, with some loopholes for restaurants and other businesses. This began the long tradition of Chinese restaurants in the US.

I think that this long history contributed to Chinese restaurants simply learning how to game the system better and so there's become a kind of template for successful "Asian" restaurants that they all follow. They also don't seem to think Westerners really want real Chinese food, a lot of Chinese restaurants will have a secret menu with more traditional Chinese dishes while Westerners get the menu with general tsos and orange chicken. They probably apply a similar logic to other Asian cuisines and think Westerners really want sugar and fat bombs, not the simple, subtle flavors of traditional Japanese food. And let's be real, they're often exactly right. Sometimes I just want a deep fried sushi roll. And plenty of people think stuff like squid and raw fish is gross. So it's no surprise restaurants hide that stuff and present westerner friendly dishes like chicken and California rolls, they think that's what people want. And Chinese restaurants have been giving Westerners what they want for decades.

Korean and Japanese people, without the same restaurant history, seem more open to presenting dishes that are actually closer to their traditional foods.

Last edited:

UnsufficentBoobage

Atleast things I wanna fuck are 3D
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes I just want a deep fried sushi roll.
Made me remember that post Bogleech made about White Peoples microwaving a plate full of sashimi; god, it had so much food autism and weebs in the notes, I'd have done something like that myself just to add photo to the reblog, if I didn't agressively dislike any kind of raw fish stuff.

They also don't seem to think Westerners really want real Chinese food
They tailor their menus to the host countries clientele. It's weird getting a Chinese takeout in a foreign country, stuff you expect to see isn't on the menu and if it is on the menu it's different to what you expect.

Edit:'Chinese takeout in a foreign country' as in another western nation rather than China.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
They also don't seem to think Westerners really want real Chinese food, a lot of Chinese restaurants will have a secret menu with more traditional Chinese dishes while Westerners get the menu with general tsos and orange chicken. They probably apply a similar logic to other Asian cuisines and think Westerners really want sugar and fat bombs, not the simple, subtle flavors of traditional Japanese food.
There are completely traditional Chinese recipes that are as fatty as you'd possibly want, like Mao's favorite red-cooked pork. I don't know why you don't see that on menus more often. It's an excuse to eat pork belly in sauce. It's delicious and look at Mao. He could have been American eating that shit.

Disheveled Human

Imagine Jerking off to Japanese mens art
kiwifarms.net
There are completely traditional Chinese recipes that are as fatty as you'd possibly want, like Mao's favorite red-cooked pork. I don't know why you don't see that on menus more often. It's an excuse to eat pork belly in sauce. It's delicious and look at Mao. He could have been American eating that shit.
I would eat at my chinese friends house none of them spoke proper english and half the food they would cook was fucking awful. Slimy soups with beef stomach in it is a bad one I remember that stands out. I would eat it because I am not rude but mostly relied on the rice to cover it up. What was messed up is the guy is loaded had lots of money and ran his own business but because he and his mom grew up on the stuff they enjoyed it. Even his wife who I went to school with coincidence since I met him separately said the traditional food is offal (no pun intended). Oh and i was not a fan of fatty pigs feet with the hair still on the hoof you had to pick out.

Water-T

My pussy tastes like Pepsi-cola.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I would eat at my chinese friends house none of them spoke proper english and half the food they would cook was fucking awful. Slimy soups with beef stomach in it is a bad one I remember that stands out. I would eat it because I am not rude but mostly relied on the rice to cover it up. What was messed up is the guy is loaded had lots of money and ran his own business but because he and his mom grew up on the stuff they enjoyed it. Even his wife who I went to school with coincidence since I met him separately said the traditional food is offal (no pun intended). Oh and i was not a fan of fatty pigs feet with the hair still on the hoof you had to pick out.
I love seeing the myth of "authentic and homemade" = "4 star Michelin feast" being shattered.

I grew up in an area with heavily dense Hispanic population, and when I went to friend's houses, dinner could be a crapshoot. If it was their grandmothers making it, 9/10 times the food would be excellent....but if it was mom or dad making it....oh boy. Ever had conch fritters or menudo so chewy that bike tires were like marshmallows in comparison?

My cousin is married to a Filipino immigrant who makes goddamn rice fucking 90% of the time, and she doesn't even fucking bother to rinse off the excess starch before dumping it in the rice cooker, so it ends up caked with so much starch residue that you'd think that Peter North jizzed on it.

Last edited:

twi1992

Buckle the Fuck Up Slut, We're Geting Shitfaced.
kiwifarms.net
My cousin is married to a Filipino immigrant who makes goddamn fucking 90% of the time, and she doesn't even fucking bother to rinse off the excess starch before dumping it in the rice cooker, so it ends up caked with so much starch residue that you'd think that Peter North jizzed on it.
Since this is an unpopular opinions thread - I don't think rice tastes any different whether you wash it or not. I didn't even know it was a thing until I got to college and started eating with my Filipino friends.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Since this is an unpopular opinions thread - I don't think rice tastes any different whether you wash it or not. I didn't even know it was a thing until I got to college and started eating with my Filipino friends.
It does change the profile somewhat. Mainly makes things taste gluier in my experience or forcibly browns shit more than you want and can skew the results.

It's why I always wash my potatoes again after I slice them, so I can get rid of excess starch.

• Agree
Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It does change the profile somewhat. Mainly makes things taste gluier in my experience or forcibly browns shit more than you want and can skew the results.

It's why I always wash my potatoes again after I slice them, so I can get rid of excess starch.
It depends on the rice and on what you're doing with it. For instance, basmati rice isn't all that starchy and I either don't rinse it or just rinse it a little. Other rice gets nasty if you don't rinse it. The kind of cheap ass rice Chinese restaurants use really does need to be rinsed longer than seems necessary, until the water runs clear. And of course if you are making sticky rice, you don't want to rinse it at all because you want that starch to make it sticky.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It depends on the rice and on what you're doing with it. For instance, basmati rice isn't all that starchy and I either don't rinse it or just rinse it a little. Other rice gets nasty if you don't rinse it. The kind of cheap ass rice Chinese restaurants use really does need to be rinsed longer than seems necessary, until the water runs clear. And of course if you are making sticky rice, you don't want to rinse it at all because you want that starch to make it sticky.
Yeah, that's true. I usually for example have to do another rinsing for starchier potatoes for my usual uses. Russets being a great example of that.

Also basmati rice? Best white rice IMO; I can eat that stuff by itself and it's still delicious, and when it fuses with a curry? It's perfect.

Tags
None