Unpopular opinions about movies. -

Maxliam

Professional Niggo
kiwifarms.net
Star Wars was never high art to begin with. It was supposed to be stupid escapist fun. People take it way to seriously these days.
This. If you want something deep, watch Star Trek. Star Wars was WWII in space with western themes and some samurai movie shit thrown in with the basis being a Flash Gordon serial.

It's a fun triology to watch but thinking too deep into that shit is just sad. That's what makes me think how crazy a Star Wars MMORPG not taking off very well is mind blowing. Given how crazy the fan base is at times, you could easily make hand over fist money with it.

The Shadow

Knows, the Shadow does.
kiwifarms.net
This. If you want something deep, watch Star Trek. Star Wars was WWII in space with western themes and some samurai movie shit thrown in with the basis being a Flash Gordon serial.

It's a fun triology to watch but thinking too deep into that shit is just sad. That's what makes me think how crazy a Star Wars MMORPG not taking off very well is mind blowing. Given how crazy the fan base is at times, you could easily make hand over fist money with it.
This is true. Per his own testimony (and of course that should be taken with a grain of salt) if Lucas could have gotten the rights to Flash Gordon, there might never have been a Star Wars.

But then we probably also wouldn't have Queen's stupidly catchy Flash Gordon song. I'm not sure which reality I like better.

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
I liked the live action Dennis the Menace movie. There are some really cute/sweet parts in it. (Sure it's not perfect.)
Same here. It's nothing special, but it's funny and cute, and isn't quite as wooden or obnoxious as many similar '90s family movies. I also don't get the hate Besson's Wasabi, it's a perfectly servicable mid-tier action\comedy flick. I think it's up there with his first two TAXI films.

Maxliam

Professional Niggo
kiwifarms.net
This is true. Per his own testimony (and of course that should be taken with a grain of salt) if Lucas could have gotten the rights to Flash Gordon, there might never have been a Star Wars.

But then we probably also wouldn't have Queen's stupidly catchy Flash Gordon song. I'm not sure which reality I like better.
Very true. One thing I will point out is the deep moments come from the Luke Jedi training scenes. Obi Wan telling him not to trust his eyes because they could deceive him and then when he says he could almost see the target and Obi Wan clapping him on the shoulder and saying "that's good, you've taken your first step into a larger world" is a really great moment. The same when Yoda tells Luke that it's always with him what cannot be done and that he fails because he doesn't have faith. My favorite moment in that movie was when Yoda reveals himself and Luke realizes he failed a major test of character. When he quietly pleads "But I've learned so much..." is a relatable moment. Coming so far and yet to see what you've struggled for slip away is a real humanizing moment for Luke.

Those little moments and the line "Wars not make one great" are small but deep moments. The rest of the movie is a space opera about good vs evil. It's silly at times but it's a good story. Trying to make it some sort of major deep message with the whole Jedi religion and shit is just gay.

I liked the live action Dennis the Menace movie. There are some really cute/sweet parts in it. (Sure it's not perfect.)
Same here. It's nothing special, but it's funny and cute, and isn't quite as wooden or obnoxious as many similar '90s family movies. I also don't get the hate Besson's Wasabi, it's a perfectly servicable mid-tier action\comedy flick. I think it's up there with his first two TAXI films.
Honestly the show was way worse and boring. At least the movie seemed like a better format for the premise. I always hated the TV show and the cartoon version of him. It's literally the most annoying character ever. The movie also benefits from Mr. Wilson being played by Walter Matthau.

hambeerlyingnreed

Ordering pizza at the Weight Loss Clinic
kiwifarms.net
I thought Lord of the Rings was super boring and actually fell asleep part way through watching it.

On the other hand, I thought Bad Taste and Dead Alive were cheesy yet good, especially considering when they were made and the lower budget allowance.

Maxliam

Professional Niggo
kiwifarms.net
I like the original adaptation of True Grit better than the Coen Bros. remake. Most of this is down to the cast. Jeff Bridges is a great actor but I don't buy him as a tough guy.
My exact thoughts on gene Hackman in Mississippi Burning. He just feels out of place and him trying to be a tough guy comes off as goofy.

I thought Lord of the Rings was super boring and actually fell asleep part way through watching it.
With lotr I think the animated movies that came out in the late 70s were better. I hated the Peter Jackson ones.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
Thor Ragnarok stank:
- "Look at us! We made poo-poo, orgy and dick jokes. Are we part of the cool kids now?"

- Odin goes away in the most boring fashion: dressed in plain clothes and mumbling exposition like a wannabe Johnathan Kent. I've seen this on the Superman side twice now, I don't need to see Norse Gods attempting a lampoon.

- For a world-ending event like Ragnarok, the mood was stupidly light. Home planet blows up, doubtlessly with millions of people still there, and marks the end of a civilisation. But don't worry, a non-zinger will fix all of that!

About the only good parts of the film were Surtur (in spite of the dumb opening jokes), Jeff Goldblum (surprisingly), and Idris Elba's little skirmish lending more seriousness to an otherwise farcical entry. That and they finally got rid of Kat Dennings.

Infinity War was better, but still overrated:
- Thanos was written as if you're supposed to sympathize with him, the guy who is Final Solution-ing half the universe. Same problem with every other Disney Marvel movie in that they don't know how to write villains. They didn't keep him as the ruthless galactic despot he is known to be and so he's just another I'm-a-nice-guy-who-does-bad-things character. He's not threatening besides what his glove can do. No intimidation, no presence.

Worse still is when your villains are all like this, it fails to create contrast between them so they all basically run off the same script. Some villains are meant to be hated because that's part of what makes them villains, and their drive for things that are simply unfathomable to any sane person is what makes them feared. Fox at least understood this with Shaw in First Class, or the initial Sentinels in Days of Future Past.

- He takes off his iconic armour at the very beginning and doesn't put it back on for no good reason for the rest of the film. So Purple Homer Simpson dominated the screen.

- There was no good reason for Nebula to be put back together (which conveniently allowed her to be freed) beyond a deliberate contrivance to advance the plot. I believe I'm forgetting a few more cases like this, but I only saw it once and that was like a month ago.

- The most poorly-executed twist of any Marvel movie: the soul for a soul. I immediately knew what was going to happen, and they dragged that out for 2-3 fucking minutes when anyone who paid attention to the movie before that moment should have already known as well.

- The ending, while vaguely gratifying and the most talked-about part of the film, probably shouldn't be: they're obviously going to undo all of it in the next one so they can cash in on sequel money, so why the concern? Why does anyone care when death has no lasting consequence? Should we review the movies together as a pair since events of the first one are going to be undone by the second?

It was fine for a one-time watch, but like Civil War it just comes across as non-impactful. Best part - ironically - was Thor venturing out to get Stormbreaker, as it gave him a more serious arc compared to his previous movie. I also found it funny that the Wakandans were basically turned into the Gungans of Marvel without anybody really noticing, especially in the final fight.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
-Dark City deserves more love than it gets.
-I liked Hellraiser Inferno and I would've liked to have seen the Cenobites (or at least Pinhead) be taken more in that direction in any future films. As in playing mindgames with the sinful and leaving a deadly trail that can be stopped if the target realizes their sins and learns something from it. If not, they end up living in torment for the rest of their lives.

Senor Cardgage Mortgage

Dump Tell No Mandy!!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I love pretentious shit. And Todd Solondz films are the only films that feel like looking into the lives of an actual lolcow

and Super was James Gunns' best movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

UCHUBomb

kiwifarms.net
I think I like Star Trek: The Motion Picture as much as Wrath of Khan, maybe even more. Then again I'm absolutely gay for a good sci fi yarn about machines/AI gaining consciousness.

• Winner
Reactions: Crichax

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
I actually want to see a sequel to the Midnight Horror Show (sometimes called, "The Devil's Rejects Lite"); the family was so interesting.

Tags
movies

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino