Unpopular opinions about movies. -

Iqalouses

kiwifarms.net
The Social Network (2010) is fine -- a solid 7/10. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but the amount of praise it is given astounds me.
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 9.04.01 PM.png

Rolling Stone rates it second, only below Moonlight, in a list of the top 50 best films of the 2010s. Watchmojo (the buzzfeed of Youtube countdowns) claims it is THE best movie of the 2010s. Many claim it should have won best picture.

Last edited:

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know how The Last of Us 2's biggest complaint is how the game demands you sympathize with a character that's been outwardly proven to be a tremendously horrible person?

Same thing with Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Why the fuck does anyone like that movie? Ferris is a smug sociopath who just gets away with everything. It's the worst film I've ever seen that's been widely praised.

Autumnal Equinox

Dinsdale!
kiwifarms.net
I don't think the 1999 version of The Mummy still holds up. I loved this movie when I was 15, felt like a brand new Indiana Jones kind of flick. Watched it again recently and....ehhh. it's too damn goofy too damn often. All the silliness and punny humor takes away from it and just makes the whole thing feel cheesy and kiddy. A little bit goes a long way, and the director didn't seem to understand that. Ended up feeling like I was watching a rerun of Hercules: the Legendary Journeys or Xena with how campy it felt.

King Ghidorah

kiwifarms.net
There is no such thing as ironic enjoyment if you derived entertainment from a piece of media even if it was at the expense of said media then you enjoyed it

"Ironic enjoyment" is a concept invented by snobs to not feel bad about being entertained by by things they're told to think are bad

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
When people say a movie is well written they are only talking about the dialogue and could give two shits about the plot and story structure.

Christopher Nolan makes smart movies for dumb people.

Heather Ledger doesn't win an oscar if he doesn't off himself.

Ingrid Bergman is the greatest film actress ever.

Rosemary's Baby is a mediocre film that doesn't hold up.

Keanu Reeves is a great actor except when it comes to speaking English believably.

Last edited:

South American Tapir

Dumb people haul trash around
kiwifarms.net
Steve Carell was generally enjoyable in films until The Office started. After that, nearly every movie he's acted in has been either lowest common denominator junk or completely forgettable.

The third TMNT movie is a big guilty pleasure of mine. Of course, the first two are better, but I still really like it. It's probably just nostalgia.

SamTheEagle

What if the true lolcow is inside us?
kiwifarms.net
Other than Guile being miscasted, the Street Fighter movie was pretty good.

They should've hired this guy, he was Guile before Guile.
I've watched the movie with the director's commentary and done some reading on how the film was made, and it looks like the director was a first-timer who got pushed around a lot. He wanted to focus on only four or so characters, but Capcom slowly pushed every character back into the film. Capcom also struck a deal with Bandai or another toy company, which is the only reason Guile's tank and boat show up in the film. And apparently the director didn't know that Raul Julia was terminally ill until the man arrived on set.
Ultimately, I feel bad for the director.

On a similar note, I like the Super Mario Bros movie, another film with lots of behind-the-scenes drama (in no small part due to a husband and wife director team with poor communication).

Tags
movies