Unpopular opinions about movies. -

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
You know how The Last of Us 2's biggest complaint is how the game demands you sympathize with a character that's been outwardly proven to be a tremendously horrible person?

Same thing with Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Why the fuck does anyone like that movie? Ferris is a smug sociopath who just gets away with everything. It's the worst film I've ever seen that's been widely praised.
Ferris Bueller was to teens of the 80's what Home Alone was to elementary school kids of the Nineties. Basically a power fantasy showing what would happen if a kid in the target demo were smart, cool, and had unlimited resources at their disposal. If one is not in the target demo or age range, the main characters seem more selfish and annoying than cool. If I were to say one good thing about these films, it's that the side characters were fun.

I don't think the 1999 version of The Mummy still holds up. I loved this movie when I was 15, felt like a brand new Indiana Jones kind of flick. Watched it again recently and....ehhh. it's too damn goofy too damn often. All the silliness and punny humor takes away from it and just makes the whole thing feel cheesy and kiddy. A little bit goes a long way, and the director didn't seem to understand that. Ended up feeling like I was watching a rerun of Hercules: the Legendary Journeys or Xena with how campy it felt.
I had the opposite reaction. I didn't like the campiness of the Mummy the first time I saw it, as I was expecting a more straight up horror movie, and there were plenty of other sources for try-hard Camp on TV and in the movies at the time it came out. But watching the Mummy now, I like it. Part of that is because we're living in an era where movies take themselves so damn seriously, and directors are bound and determined to be as not fun and preachy as possible. The Mummy was fun, with a flirty couple, and was very politically incorrect, which seems like a breath of fresh air now. It's a damn sight better than the last Mummy remake, which was a dark slog that nobody wanted to see.

Tags
movies