Unpopular Opinions about TV -

SpergPatrol

You're a faggot Harry
kiwifarms.net
I do not like any modern comedy shows currently airing.

All current sitcoms are the same big dumb idiots raises family and they all are also big dumb idiots so they sperg out and destroy something.
Cool they want to be like how the Simpsons were in the 90's, but that been done to death since then and the people normally writing it don't do anything new with it and they use the same characters over and over again but become even more cartoonish every time than the Simpsons ever did.

Or it is basically a cartoon network levels of deep show trying to appeal to adults and people think it is funny because "pop culture reference," but it is less mature and clever than a PBS kindergarden level show

Gordon Cole

Yep, he's dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not sure how unpopular an opinion it actually is (most people I know either couldn't stand him or thought he was too weird and creepy) but I always had a great deal of sympathy/pity for Harold from Twin Peaks. The poor guy seemed like one of the very few genuinely decent people in the show.
Harold did nothing wrong, and Donna was completely to blame.

• Feels
Reactions: ATaxingWoman
Always Sunny In Philadelphia is boring and not very funny.

The Walking Dead is terrible.

Stephen Colbert has always been an unfunny, overrated scrub who was only ever popular because he made fun of Religion and Bill O'Reilly, and Tough Crowd was superior in every single way to his show and the fact it was canceled to give Colbert a show of his own should be considered one of the singular greatest sins in all of Television history.

Bill Mahr deserved to lose his ABC show, not because his point was offensive, but because the way he worded his point was the dumbest possible way.

And while not exactly unpopular I am just gonna say it.

Rape a terribly over-rused and awful plot device, not because it is offensive but because it is a lazy way to make me try to hate a character. It is roughly equivalent to a wrestling character showing up a a Boston show wearing a Babe Ruth Jersey.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
Always Sunny In Philadelphia is boring and not very funny.

The Walking Dead is terrible.

Stephen Colbert has always been an unfunny, overrated scrub who was only ever popular because he made fun of Religion and Bill O'Reilly, and Tough Crowd was superior in every single way to his show and the fact it was canceled to give Colbert a show of his own should be considered one of the singular greatest sins in all of Television history.

Bill Mahr deserved to lose his ABC show, not because his point was offensive, but because the way he worded his point was the dumbest possible way.

And while not exactly unpopular I am just gonna say it.

Rape a terribly over-rused and awful plot device, not because it is offensive but because it is a lazy way to make me try to hate a character. It is roughly equivalent to a wrestling character showing up a a Boston show wearing a Babe Ruth Jersey.
Rape and a character getting a major illness/injury are two things that can torpedo my enjoyment of a show, because they always seem to be retconned or forgotten by the next episode. Which makes it offensive to anyone who has ever had to undergo a rape/deal with cancer or a major car accident, etc. in real life. That shit don't just go away after a short while.

I'll add that Pandering Wokeness in a series gets annoying when it's the opposite of this. Ideally, a person's skin color, vaginal status, or sexual orientation would be presented as being merely one aspect of their overall identity, but when SJWs cram Identity Politics into a series, suddenly the series is all about how stunning and brave the main characters are for being [marginallized identity], and the entire story's plot is all about how the MCs deal with people hating them because of their [marginallized identity]. If you want a series which has, as it's main point, the exploration of how [Marginalized Identity People] deal with their [marginalization], then write a series that has that as its focus. Don't create a new (or hijack an existing) series that isn't all about that, then cram woke politics into it. Nobody's going to like that.

Rape and a character getting a major illness/injury are two things that can torpedo my enjoyment of a show, because they always seem to be retconned or forgotten by the next episode. Which makes it offensive to anyone who has ever had to undergo a rape/deal with cancer or a major car accident, etc. in real life. That shit don't just go away after a short while.
The rape thing is only a problem for me because of how hard it is to take it at all seriously anymore.

Reactions: NeoGAF Lurker

SnowBall

God Tier Problematic
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think a lot of the Steven Moffat hate is severely overblown. He is not perfect and the upcoming Dracula reboot doesn't interest me but by the way people talk about him you would think he was a terrible person. A lot of the hate towards him as a person is all made up narratives crafted from out of context interviews and Tumblrinas looking to get offended by the tiniest shit. Not to mention getting offended by stupid shit he said over twenty years ago he long apologized for.

Everyone I know who has met him has had nothing but nice things to say about the guy. In fact quite a lot of people who met Moffat expecting the guy to be as horrible as the internet narrative makes him out to be were shocked he was nothing like that. He makes fun of himself a lot and was willing to play as himself in the "Fiveish Doctors" parody. Capaldi also shut down all the rumors that the two fought on set and his female co workers have dispelled rumors of him being sexist (the actresses were the ones who chose their outfits and wanted their characters to dress they way they want.) RTD loves his work despite all the rumors otherwise.

I also give him huge props for leaving social media and staying off of it. He even said he is fully aware there is a lot of discourse on him on places like Twitter and Tumblr and has decided it is not worth engaging in people online.

I definitely get not liking his work. As much as I adored his run on Doctor Who I didn't care for Sherlock. I am just tired of seeing people spread lies about the actual person he is to the point that it is taken at truth with nobody questioning it.

Manwithn0n0men

kiwifarms.net
I definitely get not liking his work. As much as I adored his run on Doctor Who I didn't care for Sherlock. I am just tired of seeing people spread lies about the actual person he is to the point that it is taken at truth with nobody questioning it.
He is a hack who ruins things who got his job and position of power through Nepotism

but he isnt a awful person

garakfan69

Mentally Enabled Schizoposter
kiwifarms.net
I'm very late but I've finally watched all of Parks & Recreation, which ended shorty before the election and boy is it hard to watch now without being constantly reminded of TDS-sufferers.

The protagonist is an idealised female politician who knows better than everyone, constantly foiled by the comically ignorant masses of her town and her chauvinistic political opponents.
Her political methods solely consist of backroom deals and making large parties to make people feel good about what she wants.
Every men in the show is an overgrown child except for Ron Swanson, who is to be tamed by strong women and gets turned into a literal cuck by the end of the show.
Everyone is incredible insecure and needs constant reinforcement. I have never seen a show that devotes that much time to having characters tell each other what an amazing person they are.

It is the perfect expression of the screeching Hillary supporters' worldview.

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
kiwifarms.net
Her political methods solely consist of backroom deals and making large parties to make people feel good about what she wants.
She's also constantly praised as being selfless, caring, only concerned with others and the good of the town, yet is a completely self-obsessed narcissist whose every move is to either a) make people agree with her morals and standards and ideas, b) garner praise for herself and boost her reputation even more, c) further her shitty political career, or d) cover her own ass when she fucks up.

She gives literally no shits about anyone in the entire cast but herself, yet is hailed as an angel, and anyone who calls her out is either labeled as wrong and promptly "defeated", or wins a minor victory that episode only to be browbeaten back into submission next episode.

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
I wish people would go back to judging tropes and clichés on their artistic\narrative merit instead of how much it offends them or how it aligns with their political views. No, Karen, I dislike fan service in certain Anime because it cheapens the plot and messes with the tone, not because I agree with you and think cartoon boobies will make men rape every woman on sight (shows like Space Dandy or Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid do it right, though).

And I agree, rape in most TV series is like death in Marvel comics: overdone and with barely any lasting consequences to the point it loses all impact and becomes cheap shock value.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Pees out the side of his dick
kiwifarms.net
I don’t think that How I Met Your Mother has held up through the years.
I thought everybody hated it now
How I Met Your Mother basically shot itself in the foot with its ending.

Think back to when that show was big. People thought it was a clever, funny little show that was building towards something. It's right there in the title, the show is how Ted met his kids' mother. So of course the whole show had to build towards that, and you had fans endlessly speculating who the mother was supposed to be. Hell even the actors joined in on it; I remember Jason Segal saying he wanted the show to end with Ted revealing the mother and then panning towards the window to reveal a post-apocalyptic wasteland. If there was one thing the show had to nail, it was the ending because otherwise it was all for nothing.

Which of course it was.

I can't think of any other show that had all the goodwill towards it evaporate with its ending. Even Dexter has some people saying the early seasons were still good. Worst part is there is an alternate ending that is supposedly better and a much more fitting conclusion, but the damage was done a long time ago. Now nobody talks about HIMYM, which is a fate worse than death for a popular sitcom; people are still talking about fucking Friends 16 years later but no one gives a shit about How I Met Your Mother.

Tags
None