• ”above and beyond normal punishment”

Unpopular Opinions about Video Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by punchabunch, Feb 10, 2013.

1. I agree with this statement.

As an addendum, I prefer Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 2 (which I've never even bothered to complete). I don't understand the contempt so many people have for the third game.

• Feels Feels x 1
    Detrogen

Detrogen Real Humdinger

kiwifarms.net
  2. For me, a lot of that is the completely haphazard nature of the story and the inconsistent pacing. The first two didn't have the greatest stories I'll admit, but the third one felt phoned in and was packed with inconsistent characterizations and completely pointless scenes (the ship graveyard being a big one). 3 feels a lot less coherent in general; Cutter is just suddenly introduced and he's built up as an important character but he does next to nothing and leaves the story never to be heard from again. Then there's Drake and Elena's relationship, which was started right back to where they were at the beginning of 2 for no real reason, and at that point it was starting to feel extremely repetitive. Naughty Dog admitted that for 3 they wrote the setpieces first and then cobbled a story around that, and it really shows.

Uncharted 3 isn't a bad game per se, personally I think 4 is the worst in the series because that one is straight up dull and monotonous. 3 at least as some of the most stunning high-octane sequences in the series, like the sinking boat at the end of the ship graveyard and the burning building in France. I guess that 3 didn't make me care as much for the characters like the first 2 did and relied way more on spectacle than actual pacing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Baldur's Gait

Baldur's Gait Huh, you're a queer fellow!

kiwifarms.net
  3. The Uncharted games are almost literally Resident Evil 4 reskins just with even shittier plots.

• 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    Ruin

Ruin Mercenary Slut
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  4. Without the resource + health management systems like that game has I'm not sure you could even say they're that much. They're incredibly shallow games driven entirely by spectacle with next to no engaging interactive elements.

• 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    Visitor

Visitor You are carefully watched by many people.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  5. I was hyperbolic with the prison comment, but that company's culture promotes mandatory crunch for years. There are good articles on (gasp) Kotaku and other sites documenting this. Just search "rockstar crunch":

https://kotaku.com/inside-rockstar-games-culture-of-crunch-1829936466
    https://www.vg247.com/2018/10/23/rockstar-games-crunch-overtime-game-credits-work/
    https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/25/rockstar-red-dead-redemption-crunch/

There are dozens of other articles about this.

It's peer pressure, bonus dangling, credits blackmail, and other BS. Very unethical. You'd probably make more money and spend more time with your family as an Uber driver than a Rockstar QA test slave or junior dev.

kiwifarms.net
  6. Is this like something you've never heard of before? This happens every time with every major AAA release.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Zaragoza

Zaragoza Love Saw It
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  7. Like you said about unethical practices, Konami had reviewers go through boot camp to make sure they made positive reviews for MGS5. And this is stuff that they've been doing even before the infamous Kojima split.

Edit: Also in regards to horrible crunch time like you said, during the development of Halo 2, it was infamous among the Bungie staff that they had to work a shit load of hours even to the point of leaving till 11 at night for months on end to finish the demanding deadline MS set in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    #3527 Zaragoza, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Zaragoza

Zaragoza Love Saw It
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  8. Soma is a really overlooked and underappreciated game and has some really poignant fucked up shit in it. There are parts of it that slog a little but it deserves some solid recognition in the sci fi genre of gaming.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Alto

Alto See you Space Doggo

kiwifarms.net
  9. It might be an artifact of multiplayer games: "hold left mouse for 20 seconds to open the exit" works in Dead by Daylight because the rest of the game is still running while you're doing that, meaning that there's a good (better than good, in some cases) chance that the killer will stroll up and murder your happy ass while the bar is filling.

Krokodil Overdose

Krokodil Overdose [|][||][||][|_]

kiwifarms.net
  10. From a gameplay standpoint 3 is also incredibly frustrating since all enemies rushed your position because Naughty Dog wanted to show off their NEW and IMPROVED melee combat system, so then random fucks with assault rifles would saunter up to you and lock you into a fistfight while shotgunners got close and instakilled you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Mammal Pod

Mammal Pod Pi is equal to 3.2546373698888...

kiwifarms.net
  11. I have quite a few..:

Zelda games are overrated. People who like it are stuck in nostalgia land.
    Assassin's creed 1 and 2 (the only ones ive played) are shit. Repetitive with a boring plot.
    Undertale is, as someone else said here, "autistic garbage"
    Red Dead Redemption is boring and repetitive

• Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  12. Rockstar is incredibly abusive. They mandate crunch, they exploit interns and first-year grads, they are shit. What they do is illegal under US and Canadian law. These lame game journalism articles only scratch the surface of a culture of abuse and exploitation so a couple fakes get rich. Wait for the articles about Chinese and Filipino render shops, outsourced hell.

• Feels Feels x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  13. Call of Duty Infinite Warfare has a good campaign

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Alan Wake has one of the most unlikable protagonists I've ever had to deal with.

Max Payne 3 is an insult of a game and the worst of Rockstar's "attitude".

I couldn't finish Far Cry 2 because it's a chore to play and I didn't care about a single person in the campaign, not even my own.

I think Phantasy Star III was rushed out before it was really finished but is a legitimately good game and if Mega Man 3 got a pass despite being even more unfinished then I don't see why PSIII gets so much crap.

Mega Man 2 is an uneven game with far too many parts that are somehow more difficult than in the first game, and Mega Man 3 is an unfinished boring chore to go through and the only good piece of music in the entire game is the credits theme.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Tron: Deadly Dicks

Tron: Deadly Dicks *notices ur beam*

kiwifarms.net
  15. Every time I hear people talking about Alan Wake, they're trashing it.
    To me, aside from the few very short driving sections, it might be the best horror game I've ever played.
    The game looks and sounds beautiful, the idea of combat system where you fight the creatures of darkness with light is neat, it also has the best story in any horror game ever (the game is clearly an homage to horror books and the script is so good that it could have very well been a solid horror book instead of a game).

Every Sonic game except the Sonic Racing games is trash.

Skyrim is the ugliest thing I've seen since Caitlyn Jenner.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  16. Because sperging about on the internet is gonna make it all better, right? Nothing says "cares about the working man" like a pampered bitch autistically screeching in front of a keyboard. Go back to ResetEra, I'm sure the "capitalism is killing gaming" thread misses you dearly.

P.S.: While the Housers are probably assholes and do deserve much of the blame, you can't forget that Take-Two's "neckbreathing" is probably the biggest reason as to why it happened. The Housers may be douchebags, but Take-Two is legitimately evil.

On to my unpopular opinion: I actually kind of enjoy Jaws Unleashed. It's a stupid ass game that spits in the face of Ecco the Dolphin's legacy, but it's also stupidly fun. It's difficult to not be amused by the fact that this big fucking shark that was killed by a fucking spear in the original movie is now a criminal mastermind capable of navigating minefields, using keycards, battling killer whales and using old torpedos to blow up ships, helicopters, and oil derricks. It's by no means well made, but goddamn does it entertain me

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    #3536 purpleboy, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    purpleboy

purpleboy A Sewer-Dwelling Rodent, a "shitrat" if you will

kiwifarms.net
  17. Concept art is almost always cooler than the crap we actually end up with.

• Feels Feels x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Ruin

Ruin Mercenary Slut
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  18. Well yeah, it's been that way since NES. The whole point is just to show the artist's vision/dev's interpretation. That's why the whole "MN9 LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THE CONCEPT ART" shit is stupid, but the game itself was still smelly dogshit

purpleboy

purpleboy A Sewer-Dwelling Rodent, a "shitrat" if you will

kiwifarms.net
  19. All those games suck. The reason why I hated Alan Wake is because the guy wouldn't shut the fuck up.

Quijibo69

Quijibo69 Child Abduction

kiwifarms.net
  20. Concept art tends to be somewhat abstract and loose. Like the artist didn't really think about "how is this going to be in the game?" If you've ever tried to make 3D art it's challenging to translate a floating castle into a polygon.

Watcher

Watcher Cishet dudebro

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.