Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
I'm not big on micromanagement being a required part of gameplay in an RTS. I find the amount required in the original Starcraft to be at pretty much the top end of what I find tiresome, and since WC3 and Starcraft were so successful micro is the norm for RTS in recent years. I like to be able to direct more than one squad of units at a time. Blizzard, you FUCKS!
I've found the Starcraft style formula has actually fallen off most RTS games follow the Dawn of War style formula where you don't even pay attention to things like resources. You're solely focused on spawning units and attacking the enemy. Everything else is done for you. Outside of outliers like Starcraft 2 where they were afraid to change to this formula.

The Shadow

SCIENCE FICTION PERFORM DISTINCTIVE
kiwifarms.net
I've found the Starcraft style formula has actually fallen off most RTS games follow the Dawn of War style formula where you don't even pay attention to things like resources. You're solely focused on spawning units and attacking the enemy. Everything else is done for you. Outside of outliers like Starcraft 2 where they were afraid to change to this formula.
I feel like Dawn of War, from what I've played of it, is an evolution of the Blizzard style (with an emphasis on hero units buffing their squad/etc) with the focus on resource gathering and base building dropped.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
I feel like Dawn of War, from what I've played of it, is an evolution of the Blizzard style (with an emphasis on hero units buffing their squad/etc) with the focus on resource gathering and base building dropped.
They only dropped base building in DoW2 (which is still widely disliked by fans and resulted in a somewhat substantial playerbase for DoW1 today which preferred the old style). Resource gathering is done automatically through capturing and holding control points throughout the map. This solves a micromanagement problem games like Starcraft had which was having to order around worker units to constantly harvest resources and having to spawn more to make your economy richer. In the Dawn of war style, exploring the map and defeating the enemy is the same action as gathering resources.

TheImportantFart

Fart Herbert’s Dune
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've seen not liking this game put forward as an unpopular opinion in this thread, but on the other hand there's two entire threads here dissing it, so fuck it. I really liked Night in the Woods. Even people who don't like the game say the soundtrack and art style are amazing, and I absolutely loved the atmosphere those two things combined to create. I'm a huge fan of creepypastas, and Night in the Woods made me feel like I was playing through one.

That said, when I originally played the game I had no idea what the creator's politics were, and looking back it's painfully clear a lot of those political standpoints were shoved into the game. Plus, I found the twist/ending pretty underwhelming. I don't know if I missed something, but I still had a lot of questions and it felt like the game stopped just before it could've done something really interesting. Still had a really fun time with it though.

The Shadow

kiwifarms.net
They only dropped base building in DoW2 (which is still widely disliked by fans and resulted in a somewhat substantial playerbase for DoW1 today which preferred the old style). Resource gathering is done automatically through capturing and holding control points throughout the map. This solves a micromanagement problem games like Starcraft had which was having to order around worker units to constantly harvest resources and having to spawn more to make your economy richer. In the Dawn of war style, exploring the map and defeating the enemy is the same action as gathering resources.
C&C (I'm self-admittedly a bitter Westwood fan) had resource harvesting but it was largely automated. It helped that there was only one resource to harvest. Defending your harvesters wasn't the pain it is in say, Starcraft- your harvesters are big, durable units that regenerate health under 50 percent. The Soviet War Miner in RA2 could even hold off infantry.

BR55

kiwifarms.net
I'm not big on micromanagement being a required part of gameplay in an RTS. I find the amount required in the original Starcraft to be at pretty much the top end of what I find tiresome, and since WC3 and Starcraft were so successful micro is the norm for RTS in recent years. I like to be able to direct more than one squad of units at a time. Blizzard, you FUCKS!

On a completely related note I'm a bitter Westwood fan. EA, you FUCKS!

I agree with this, generally. I feel like only Super Metroid had much difficulty as that genre goes, and even that's on the low end for the SNES (it did have superb atmosphere and was generally a high quality game, though). Once Metroidvania became the default for Castlevania, they became painfully dull games. Not only was the format the same, but they re-used the same sprites from the 90's well into the late 2000's.
I enjoy Starcraft and Warcraft but honestly you just can't beat the feeling of making 50 Mammoth Tanks and sending them off to fuck up Nod with only a click or two.

The Shadow

kiwifarms.net
I enjoy Starcraft and Warcraft but honestly you just can't beat the feeling of making 50 Mammoth Tanks and sending them off to fuck up Nod with only a click or two.
My thing was sending some weak ass units to get eaten up by base defenses to give the opponent a sense of security before the Mammoths rolled in.

Konover

Farmhand
kiwifarms.net
Rome Total War 2 was good, and honestly the endless complaints about bugs rings hollow. I’ve played the game for 3 years, and the only issue I’ve encountered was fps cause I have a shitbrick of a laptop.

Reactions: Apoth42

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
Rome Total War 2 was good, and honestly the endless complaints about bugs rings hollow. I’ve played the game for 3 years, and the only issue I’ve encountered was fps cause I have a shitbrick of a laptop.
I want to try that game but they can't sell a decent package with all the DLC for under $30 or even $50.

I think the Gamecube controller is the best ever especially with the different shape buttons easy to get use to and most modern controllers are uninspired.

Reactions: Medafag

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
I think the Gamecube controller is the best ever especially with the different shape buttons easy to get use to and most modern controllers are uninspired.
It says a lot that Nintendo still sells adapters just so people can still use GameCube controllers for Super Smash Bros. Sure it's only one game but it's more support than the other big two.

Reactions: Mr. 0

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
It says a lot that Nintendo still sells adapters just so people can still use GameCube controllers for Super Smash Bros. Sure it's only one game but it's more support than the other big two.
I bought that Smash controller when they made it for the Wii U just to use it for my Gamecube and probably get one for the Switch later this year.

Reactions: Medafag

VerdantBuckle34

I've got a cactus!!
kiwifarms.net
I'm nervous about the Link's Awakening remake (because out of the LoZ games, THAT is not one I'd touch), but I kind of like the art style; unless they pull a Majora's Mask 3D, I have hope for it. (And I HOPE it comes with the Color Dungeon from DX.)

Also, since I'm talking about remakes and Zelda: LoZ 2: The Adventure of Link could benefit from one.

Replicant Sasquatch

Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?
kiwifarms.net
I'm nervous about the Link's Awakening remake (because out of the LoZ games, THAT is not one I'd touch), but I kind of like the art style; unless they pull a Majora's Mask 3D, I have hope for it. (And I HOPE it comes with the Color Dungeon from DX.)

Also, since I'm talking about remakes and Zelda: LoZ 2: The Adventure of Link could benefit from one.
Holy shit they're remaking that? That was my first Zelda game.

I may need a Switch now.

Reactions: Akumaten

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino