Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Pargon

Intergalactic sperg-a-to-reeeeee
kiwifarms.net
That and most Let's Plays are trash where people just ramble incoherently into a microphone and don't plan or edit their footage whatsoever so I'm really still surprised it took off as a genre.
It just seems like a smaller offshoot of this whole "watch people do things on the internet" form of media. So much of streamed content is just fucking weird and voyeuristic, like watching people cook/eat or clean their house or just sit around and talk. They're not even instructional; they're just people who stream their regular lives and other people watch them.

My old man brain does not understand.

Megaroad

rip dave white
kiwifarms.net
I miss Retsupuraes when they had edge and would mock those early inept let's plays.

Ditto. I said in the melee community watch thread that while I really like playing fighters, watching things like EVO is dull. Rather just play the games.

Reactions: Stay safe

scorptatious

Dancing Mad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Despite my nostalgic feelings towards both, Pokemon and Super Smash Bros have gotten stale and I'm tired of people constantly talk about them and buying them . Like... it's the same damn game every time! At least each Final Fantasy game feels different and doesn't just have tacked on bullshit like "mega evolution".

Most indie games are dull and rely too much on nostalgia baiting to really stand on their own. (Although Shovel Knight is still damn good)

I would love for the comeback of ps1/ps2 style graphics and pre-rendered backgrounds. The push to make everything either pixelated or hyper realistic has made a lot of newer games look very samey and boring.

Persona games are weeb trash and got nothing on games like Nocturne and Strange Journey.

You can have good hygeine, a steady job, a social life and be passionate about games. Not sure why so many people think it's one or the other.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
It just seems like a smaller offshoot of this whole "watch people do things on the internet" form of media. So much of streamed content is just fucking weird and voyeuristic, like watching people cook/eat or clean their house or just sit around and talk. They're not even instructional; they're just people who stream their regular lives and other people watch them.

I think this has to do with the feeling of authenticity that comes from someone reacting to something occurring in real time or doing something mundane

We live in an era where everything is fake. People talk about how great their lives are and we're constantly bombarded with advertising. So watching someone act like a person is entertainment.
I would love for the comeback of ps1/ps2 style graphics and pre-rendered backgrounds. The push to make everything either pixelated or hyper realistic has made a lot of newer games look very samey and boring.
This has already long been happening. See Dusk

scorptatious

Dancing Mad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This has already long been happening. See Dusk
Thanks for the recommendation.

Desire Lines

cheese afficionado
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Danganronpa V3 is the best game of the series and has the best ending because it rejects the gay hope/despair bullshit. The epilogue really adds to it as well and its the only ending in the series to make me feel something.

Megaroad

rip dave white
kiwifarms.net
Most indie games are dull and rely too much on nostalgia baiting to really stand on their own. (Although Shovel Knight is still damn good)

I used to be excited about 8-bit and 16-bit games making a comeback in 2008ish, MM9 taking the lead, and even thought of using my GI Bill at the time to go to school to learn how to program with a hope to maybe one day get into making such games but then the immediate output in the years following turned me off with lazy pixel art and over saturation of nostalgia shit.

However it warms my heart to see someone else long for the PSX style to come back. A strong art direction can really keep a game from aging poorly (example: Metal Gear, Silent Hill).

Personally I love the Dreamcast look myself, but I imagine if/when the idea of reviving these styles, indies will take the lazy route and deliver Bubsy 3D's.

Internet Nuisance

pizza time
kiwifarms.net
The Wii is a good system and I find it will never get the positive recognition it deserves just because it started the whole nintendo gimmick thing and was aimed at casuals. To this day I still like the motion controls and they're not as unresponsive as people claim them to be, they're actually pretty responsive even without the motion plus thing.

Megaroad

rip dave white
kiwifarms.net
The Wii is a good system and I find it will never get the positive recognition it deserves just because it started the whole nintendo gimmick thing and was aimed at casuals. To this day I still like the motion controls and they're not as unresponsive as people claim them to be, they're actually pretty responsive even without the motion plus thing.
Still has my favorite version of RE4 and I enjoy playing FPS' on it like Conduit and Metroid.

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
The only rumor we have of HL2: Episode Three is that Valve is developing Half-Life: VR.

The Valve that made Half-Life is long gone, and if they make a VR game, it's going to unequivocally be shit (unless you're one of those fairies that freaks out in open-mouthed joy at characters returning in completely shit form like the Star Wars fanboys).

Reactions: Medafag

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
The only rumor we have of HL2: Episode Three is that Valve is developing Half-Life: VR.

The Valve that made Half-Life is long gone, and if they make a VR game, it's going to unequivocally be shit (unless you're one of those fairies that freaks out in open-mouthed joy at characters returning in completely shit form like the Star Wars fanboys).
I remember Yahtzee saying a long time ago that, given Half-Life's goal of being an immersive experience, a hypothetical 3rd game would have to be VR.

Of course, Half-Life: VR is most certainly not going to be HL3, and frankly that offends me even more. And you have a point, most of the people who worked on Half-Life aren't there anymore, at least I don't think so. That's also why I'm not confident in a 3 ever happening.

Reactions: Medafag

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
I remember Yahtzee saying a long time ago that, given Half-Life's goal of being an immersive experience, a hypothetical 3rd game would have to be VR.

Of course, Half-Life: VR is most certainly not going to be HL3, and frankly that offends me even more. And you have a point, most of the people who worked on Half-Life aren't there anymore, at least I don't think so. That's also why I'm not confident in a 3 ever happening.
Yeah, Half-Life releases have always been one to show some kind of technological upgrade per release. But even if it WAS the old Valve developing it, the game wouldn't be economically feasible unless VR became a common household product. Not sure how long that'd take.

carltondanks

kiwifarms.net
to go on top of that, I think that dbz budokai tenkaichi 2 is a perfect example of good motion controls in a fighting game. i love that fucking game

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net

For any series that has been on such a long hiatus like Half-Life, the last thing they should do is drastically change. Change for the sake of it is not always good thing, just look at something like Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts as a prime example (good game, but a horrible sequel that screwed Rare up in the long run).

I know Valve's usual schtick (or at least, it used to be when they actually made games) is to reinvent the wheel, but throwing something as drastic as mandatory VR into Half-Life 3 would be such a kick to the balls for the poor bastards that are still holding out hope for it.

Then again, these are the guys who thought that Artifact was a good idea, so...

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net

For any series that has been on such a long hiatus like Half-Life, the last thing they should do is drastically change. Change for the sake of it is not always good thing, just look at something like Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts as a prime example (good game, but a horrible sequel that screwed Rare up in the long run).

I know Valve's usual schtick (or at least, it used to be when they actually made games) is to reinvent the wheel, but throwing something as drastic as mandatory VR into Half-Life 3 would be such a kick to the balls for the poor bastards that are still holding out hope for it.

Then again, these are the guys who thought that Artifact was a good idea, so...
something people don't seem to be aware of is that Valve isn't structured like other companies. Nobody at the top goes "okay let's all work on X" everyone works on things by consensus.
What employees work on is heavily influenced by the company's "employee review" system. Which is basically at the end of the year they decide which employees to sack based on reviews given by other employees. It's essentially a popularity contest. This directly influences what projects people work on because if you work on some big project by yourself you're likely going to get a worse review than if you work on a smaller one. This explains why TF2 kept getting random updates like Mann vs machine and why Valve seemingly prefers to keep updating older titles rather than work on newer ones. It's easier to work with like 2 other guys on an update that'll get you a better review than work on a game that won't be ready for a few years. Even if someone like Gabe Newell wanted to make a new Half-Life game, he couldn't just order people to do it they'd have to willingly congregate and work on it. And this has happened a few times but overwhelmingly what happens is the game will be worked on for a few years and then everyone will switch to some other project instead that they're more interested in. There have been several distinct versions of Half-Life 3 in some form of development over the past 10 years that we've only seen concept art of. This also happened to Team Fortress 2 where there were 3-4 distinct versions of the game with the final 07 version only being worked on for about 2 years. Despite the game originally being announced around 9 years prior.

This is also why the company has a relatively high turnaround and why a ton of "legendary" developers that used to work at the company left a long time ago. This system most likely worked just fine when the company was like 30 guys working on 1 game but it didn't scale to a company that now has hundreds of employees and dozens of active projects.

Last edited:

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino