Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Megaroad

Space Adventure
kiwifarms.net
Is this a "There are only Three Indiana Jones Movies" joke or are you that out of the loop?
I thought Reach was the last one made and some Halo Wars game.

edit: Has Halo really fallen that under the radar since the days of people lining up at midnight for Halo 2 (which was like a new thing iirc back then)? Not the biggest fps fan around and all I ever hear about through osmosis is Call of Duty and the like now a days.

Last edited:

The Shadow

The Longest Halloween
kiwifarms.net
- the only good igavania game ever made was SOTN, suggesting he's not nearly the genius people think he is but rather that it was lightning in a bottle

- the fucking swedes who made amnesia should be retroactively aborted for giving rise to the worst trend in gaming of the last thirty years
Igavanias were pretty cookie cutter experiences after SOTN to diminishing returns. The only people that kept them alive were weebs and goth yaoi fangirls that liked Ayame Kojima's drawings of pretty dudes. And maybe a few people that got bored with Pokemans on their DS.

Fucking Amnesia...I didn't find it scary, it's kore obnoxiously oversimplified. Without the hiding it is a walking sim. The reason most survival horrors had combat is because it's something interesting to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Count groudon

Quijibo69

Worse Title Ever!
kiwifarms.net
Fucking Amnesia...I didn't find it scary, it's kore obnoxiously oversimplified. Without the hiding it is a walking sim. The reason most survival horrors had combat is because it's something interesting to do.
I liked Outlast and the DLC better and it was pretty much the same game. Avoid Outlast 2 on the other hand it sucked balls.

• Agree

Megaroad

Space Adventure
kiwifarms.net
I have a soft spot for Circle of the Moon and played it a few times again recently on the Wii U. I like the fact it doesn't recycle old graphical assets, had a difficulty and some sweet remixes. Kind of feels like an inbetween of the older games and Igavania.

Harmony is just a mess and wanted to be like SOTN but I think being on the GBA hurt it. Rumor has it that it was originally a console game. Do like dashing everywhere though and seeing all the graphical effects. Too bad about that music.

Aria plays it the safest after the two earlier games, being even closer to SotN than Harmony. Wish it did more with its future setting, but I like Kojima's art the most in this one and this is the last Yamane soundtracks other than Lament where she didn't phone it in (all her music now is a simple 4/4 time signature rock song with a forgettable melody that meanders).

DS is where the games kind of become a blur, with Dawn once again wasting away its setting and bad anime art, Portait being the bigger disappointment for once again wasting the time period and recycling the enviornments for the second half and Order just being kind of there.

Konover

Farmhand
kiwifarms.net
Paradox Interactive should be considered the EA of the Wargaming and Grand Strategy world. The games that they publish are broken on release. A person then has to buy a hundred+ dollars of DLC to begin to fix the problems as the base game slowly gets more fucked over by free "patches." And yet, somehow, they are still an extremely popular publisher.
Has anybody mentioned how they made Stellaris so goddamn complicated over time, to the point where I can't even keep up with it? At release it was a cool and interesting sci-fi strategy game, but they just added needless shit and subtracted good features away.

The Shadow

The Longest Halloween
kiwifarms.net
I have a soft spot for Circle of the Moon and played it a few times again recently on the Wii U. I like the fact it doesn't recycle old graphical assets, had a difficulty and some sweet remixes. Kind of feels like an inbetween of the older games and Igavania.

Harmony is just a mess and wanted to be like SOTN but I think being on the GBA hurt it. Rumor has it that it was originally a console game. Do like dashing everywhere though and seeing all the graphical effects. Too bad about that music.

Aria plays it the safest after the two earlier games, being even closer to SotN than Harmony. Wish it did more with its future setting, but I like Kojima's art the most in this one and this is the last Yamane soundtracks other than Lament where she didn't phone it in (all her music now is a simple 4/4 time signature rock song with a forgettable melody that meanders).

DS is where the games kind of become a blur, with Dawn once again wasting away its setting and bad anime art, Portait being the bigger disappointment for once again wasting the time period and recycling the enviornments for the second half and Order just being kind of there.
I don't so much count Circle of the Moon as an Igavania- IIRC he wasn't involved in its development. It did a nice job trying to bridge the gap between classic and metroidvania, and is probably the most challenging and creative of the bunch. It is my favorite of them.

One of the best launch titles I can recall for a handheld.

Captain Manning

Tell us the story of your big dog.
kiwifarms.net
A Nightmare on Elm street was a pretty legit early attempt at what we'd now call a Metroidvania.
It also had 4 player support, a awake/dream cycle (where you could power up in the later), a memorable soundtrack, reasonable graphics...

I mean, it's hardly the greatest game ever, and it has legit issues, but I admire the ambition Rare showed in 1989.

That Punisher game was good too and surprisingly violent for a NES game
I thought Terminator 2 was also decent.

I mean, they had irredeemable dogshit like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future, and most (but not all) of the Marvel games, but AVGN vastly overstated how bad they were.

• Agree

BONE_Buddy

Flat-Hat Fanatic.
kiwifarms.net
Has anybody mentioned how they made Stellaris so goddamn complicated over time, to the point where I can't even keep up with it? At release it was a cool and interesting sci-fi strategy game, but they just added needless shit and subtracted good features away.
Stellaris is/was a goddamn mess. It tried to be a "deep" strategy game while also trying to have a broad appeal. It ended up as a schizophrenic mess.

I personally came at it from another direction, I felt like I didn't have enough control, at least for what it was trying to do. Relationships were on autopilot, and that autopilot was suicidal. Divergent/rebellious populations had no way to be managed. And don't even get me started on the balance.

You know what hurts the game the most? Lack of a tech tree. Tech Trees provide a sense of progression, especially when every other empire is progressing at roughly the same rate.

That's my two cents about it. I haven't played the game since a month after launch. It left that bad of a taste in my mouth.

• Feels
Reactions: Konover

Posthumorous

Keeper of the Sacred Windows Vista.
kiwifarms.net
- Halo 4's story was kind of better and darker than anything Bungie really wrote. I honestly felt more tension.

- Anotha Halo one. Halo Reach kinda sucked. Can't blame Bungie for that one too much since they were damn near shitting it out, being the last Halo game they made.

- Despite the fact I kinda like this game and indeed have it, Rainbow Six: Siege is Counter-Strike on steroids, kind of has characters with personality ala Overwatch, and honestly seems shit as compared to Patriots and what it could've been.

Citizen Calamity

On the Wrong Side of Town
kiwifarms.net
Bunker Buster is actually a great mission in Ace Combat 7. Also the identifying unknown targets was an interesting concept that would've been better if the lock-on switching didn't suck.

J

JM 590

kiwifarms.net
I tried Stardew Valley for about an hour

It's literally just Harvest Moon but shitty. Your character has such little stamina that I ended up going to bed before noon, and since he physically slows down, I couldn't just run off to town or explore when my stamina was spent, I just had to go to sleep. I'm not a fan of the uninspired characters and their bland artwork and dialog, either. Harvest Moon characters were two dimensional, but at least they had some life to them.

How on Earth did this game get so popular? Just play a SNES ROM of Harvest Moon instead, or preferably the PlayStation version.

This game strikes me as something very similar to another perplexing hit, Golf Story. Both have bland sprite graphics, terrible writing, and gameplay mechanics that are taken wholesale from an old game, Golf Story being Mario Golf on Game Boy Color. Harvest Moon and Mario Golf are both terrific, but these new games are just shit. But they did really well, and I don't know why.

Posthumorous

Keeper of the Sacred Windows Vista.
kiwifarms.net
- The Getaway was actually a decent game despite the absolutely shit controls the game had.

- Why anyone still buys the Forza games today is beyond me and what I consider insane. That series, after 4 and Horizon 1, was so fucking nickle and dimed to shit that Forza and Forza Horizon are shadows of what a good racing game on the Xbox platform used to be.

-
I have no idea why there are still detractors who think DayZ is actually a good game despite the low effort that Bohemia Interactive has put into the game in 5 years to make it a "complete game". Don't get me wrong, I occasionally like playing it with a few friends and raging at it when I die after losing weapons that took me hours to scrounge up. But now that pile of shit is on console, and I have seen many more blind people buy this game, one that BI lost faith and passion in long ago. Especially when they dropped the ball on the roadmap of it.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is fucking garbage.

- The mechanic, where you need to look for symbols is ok, but not when you do this for the first third of the game. Yeah, DMC5 has the same thing, but only for secret missions, which are 12 for 20 actual missions.

- The combat is, eh, somewhat ok, but the fights are so fucking repetitive. Charge, evade/parry, hit-hit-hit, repeat until end credits.

- Camera angle is atrocious, Senua covers big part of the screen and you can't change view, so most of the time you can't see if somebody charges at you. Yeah, you can listen to the voices, but it quickly becomes tiresome and irritating.

- IRC, there are only 5 types of enemies. Half of them require the same tactic, so it's very uninspired. And because game is not able to give you new challenging enemies, it starts to spam you with the standart ones, which is fucking pain in the ass with a camera like that.

- Second boss was good, but the first one is cheap easy and the third one is running around, which is fucking pain in the ass with a camera like this. And final boss... Is the combination of these three, but weaker.

- Permadeath. I'm totally ok with it's existence. What I'm not ok with is how it was used. To introduce you to it, game just spawns a bunch of enemies, that you can't kill and let's you die and then tells you "This game has permadeath, if your arm rots straight to your head, it's game over". Well, couldn't you show it right after "this game is about mental illness" disclaimer, that you are so proud of (they even show it again after the end credits, as if I did not understand what I was playing all this time)? Ok, moving on, so all I need to do is just stay alive, right? Wrong. After every boss her hand rots further and further, because "killing evil makes you evil" or some shit. In the end her hand is rotten, no matter how good or bad you were playing. I played on hard and didn't die once. What was even the point of it then? Just to pretend, that this game is hard?

- Plot is full of stuff, that I'm not sure is true about vikings or celts. I doubt they sacrificed people to Hel, especially through Bloody Eagle. If Senua was "cursed" as the villagers thought, I doubt they would let her live, whether she is the daughter of the leader or anyone else. Why is she going to Hel, if she is celtic? Celts were worshiping nature and their gods were completelly different. The final scene only makes it worse, implying, that all of that was just a ravings of a madman. It works well, if it has some connection to reallity, but in this case you can turn it around all you want and see, what you wanna see. Jesus, listening to the segments about northern myths was much more entertaining.

- It's hard to take game's message seriously, when all these voices do is not turning your life into living hell, but help you in combat and shit. It's even harder, when the story has supernatural elements and mental illness was blamed on them for a long time. It's almost impossible, when in the end she just says "ah, fuck you, voices" and makes them disappear. Ok, maybe then it's about social stigma, that surrounds mentally ill people? What is the point of showing it through long gone society, where massacre and blood feud were pretty common? Walking simulator about Terry A. Davis running from CIA niggers would do a better job. I'm not joking, people would've cried their eyes out in the end.

J

JM 590

kiwifarms.net
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is fucking garbage.

- Permadeath. I'm totally ok with it's existence. What I'm not ok with is how it was used. To introduce you to it, game just spawns a bunch of enemies, that you can't kill and let's you die and then tells you "This game has permadeath, if your arm rots straight to your head, it's game over". Well, couldn't you show it right after "this game is about mental illness" disclaimer, that you are so proud of (they even show it again after the end credits, as if I did not understand what I was playing all this time)? Ok, moving on, so all I need to do is just stay alive, right? Wrong. After every boss her hand rots further and further, because "killing evil makes you evil" or some shit. In the end her hand is rotten, no matter how good or bad you were playing. I played on hard and didn't die once. What was even the point of it then? Just to pretend, that this game is hard?
Apparently that whole thing was just a load of bullshit and you'll never actually end up with your save deleted no matter how many times you die. It was just a sensationalist thing for jurnos to tweet about.

- It's hard to take game's message seriously, when all these voices do is not turning your life into living hell, but help you in combat and shit. It's even harder, when the story has supernatural elements and mental illness was blamed on them for a long time. It's almost impossible, when in the end she just says "ah, fuck you, voices" and makes them disappear. Ok, maybe then it's about social stigma, that surrounds mentally ill people? What is the point of showing it through long gone society, where massacre and blood feud were pretty common? Walking simulator about Terry A. Davis running from CIA niggers would do a better job. I'm not joking, people would've cried their eyes out in the end.
Hahahahahahahaha, Jim Sterling must have never beaten the game or watched the ending. I could see him throwing a fit and dedicating an entire episode of his show to the end of that game being disrespectful to the mentally ill.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
Jim Sterling must have never beaten the game or watched the ending. I could see him throwing a fit and dedicating an entire episode of his show to the end of that game being disrespectful to the mentally ill.
Doubt it, he is a cuck and afraid to make his SJW friends mad. Also, I forgot one thing. Although ending is bullshit, it presented as happy and guess what happens there? The voices are back. And it's presented as a good thing. Some say, that it is the meataphor of Senua letting go of her loved one (wow, so deep, somebody give me a submarine), which only makes it worse. "Yeah, girl, your boyfriend is dead, but don't cry, you still have your mental illness".

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person