Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
The only rumor we have of HL2: Episode Three is that Valve is developing Half-Life: VR.

The Valve that made Half-Life is long gone, and if they make a VR game, it's going to unequivocally be shit (unless you're one of those fairies that freaks out in open-mouthed joy at characters returning in completely shit form like the Star Wars fanboys).
For any series that has been on such a long hiatus like Half-Life, the last thing they should do is drastically change. Change for the sake of it is not always good thing, just look at something like Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts as a prime example (good game, but a horrible sequel that screwed Rare up in the long run).

I know Valve's usual schtick (or at least, it used to be when they actually made games) is to reinvent the wheel, but throwing something as drastic as mandatory VR into Half-Life 3 would be such a kick to the balls for the poor bastards that are still holding out hope for it.

Then again, these are the guys who thought that Artifact was a good idea, so...

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
The only rumor we have of HL2: Episode Three is that Valve is developing Half-Life: VR.

The Valve that made Half-Life is long gone, and if they make a VR game, it's going to unequivocally be shit (unless you're one of those fairies that freaks out in open-mouthed joy at characters returning in completely shit form like the Star Wars fanboys).
For any series that has been on such a long hiatus like Half-Life, the last thing they should do is drastically change. Change for the sake of it is not always good thing, just look at something like Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts as a prime example (good game, but a horrible sequel that screwed Rare up in the long run).

I know Valve's usual schtick (or at least, it used to be when they actually made games) is to reinvent the wheel, but throwing something as drastic as mandatory VR into Half-Life 3 would be such a kick to the balls for the poor bastards that are still holding out hope for it.

Then again, these are the guys who thought that Artifact was a good idea, so...
something people don't seem to be aware of is that Valve isn't structured like other companies. Nobody at the top goes "okay let's all work on X" everyone works on things by consensus.
What employees work on is heavily influenced by the company's "employee review" system. Which is basically at the end of the year they decide which employees to sack based on reviews given by other employees. It's essentially a popularity contest. This directly influences what projects people work on because if you work on some big project by yourself you're likely going to get a worse review than if you work on a smaller one. This explains why TF2 kept getting random updates like Mann vs machine and why Valve seemingly prefers to keep updating older titles rather than work on newer ones. It's easier to work with like 2 other guys on an update that'll get you a better review than work on a game that won't be ready for a few years. Even if someone like Gabe Newell wanted to make a new Half-Life game, he couldn't just order people to do it they'd have to willingly congregate and work on it. And this has happened a few times but overwhelmingly what happens is the game will be worked on for a few years and then everyone will switch to some other project instead that they're more interested in. There have been several distinct versions of Half-Life 3 in some form of development over the past 10 years that we've only seen concept art of. This also happened to Team Fortress 2 where there were 3-4 distinct versions of the game with the final 07 version only being worked on for about 2 years. Despite the game originally being announced around 9 years prior.

This is also why the company has a relatively high turnaround and why a ton of "legendary" developers that used to work at the company left a long time ago. This system most likely worked just fine when the company was like 30 guys working on 1 game but it didn't scale to a company that now has hundreds of employees and dozens of active projects.

Last edited:

Vault Boy

kiwifarms.net
something people don't seem to be aware of is that Valve isn't structured like other companies. Nobody at the top goes "okay let's all work on X" everyone works on things by consensus.
What employees work on is heavily influenced by the company's "employee review" system. Which is basically at the end of the year they decide which employees to sack based on reviews given by other employees. It's essentially a popularity contest. This directly influences what projects people work on because if you work on some big project by yourself you're likely going to get a worse review than if you work on a smaller one. This explains why TF2 kept getting random updates like Mann vs machine and why Valve seemingly prefers to keep updating older titles rather than work on newer ones. It's easier to work with like 2 other guys on an update that'll get you a better review than work on a game that won't be ready for a few years. Even if someone like Gabe Newell wanted to make a new Half-Life game, he couldn't just order people to do it they'd have to willingly congregate and work on it. And this has happened a few times but overwhelmingly what happens is the game will be worked on for a few years and then everyone will switch to some other project instead that they're more interested in. There have been several distinct versions of Half-Life 3 in some form of development over the past 10 years that we've only seen concept art of. This also happened to Team Fortress 2 where there were 3-4 distinct versions of the game with the final 07 version only being worked on for about 2 years. Despite the game originally being announced around 9 years prior.

This is also why the company has a relatively high turnaround and why a ton of "legendary" developers that used to work at the company left a long time ago. This system most likely worked just fine when the company was like 30 guys working on 1 game but it didn't scale to a company that now has hundreds of employees and dozens of active projects.
Sounds like a totally inefficient way to run a game studio. No wonder their output had dried up.

Reactions: Megaroad

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
Sounds like a totally inefficient way to run a game studio. No wonder their output had dried up.
Like I said this system probably worked just fine when it was a few guys working on 1 game. It was most likely intended for efficiency purposes since their games were being initially developed by a crew who knew each other by name and relied directly on each other. It doesn’t work for a company that has hundreds of employees where you need clear objectives and clear guidance from leadership. Otherwise nobody knows what’s going on.

Inflatable Julay

kiwifarms.net
I have friendsnd who is a huge Halo fan and used to beg me to play MCC so I could experience how amazing the game is. It's the most overrated and uninteresting shit I've ever played. Oh shit now it's being ported to Steam so we can spend another 60 bucks on a game we've already bought gamers rise UP

Edit: also Morrowwind was shit in the early 2000s and it's shit now

Last edited:

Vault Boy

kiwifarms.net
In the spirit of the thread, Halo 1 had a good SP campaign.
How is that an unpopular opinion? Halo CE has been lauded for its campaign ever since it came out.

Now, a more unpopular opinion would be something like thinking 5 had a good campaign (surprise, I think it does).

Replicant Sasquatch

Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?
kiwifarms.net
Now, a more unpopular opinion would be something like thinking 5 had a good campaign (surprise, I think it does).
I haven't played 5, but everything I've seen of it makes it look like a fanboy wank of Halo rather than a true entry in the franchise.

Megaroad

Was that a girls name I heard?
kiwifarms.net
Is this a "There are only Three Indiana Jones Movies" joke or are you that out of the loop?
I thought Reach was the last one made and some Halo Wars game.

edit: Has Halo really fallen that under the radar since the days of people lining up at midnight for Halo 2 (which was like a new thing iirc back then)? Not the biggest fps fan around and all I ever hear about through osmosis is Call of Duty and the like now a days.

Last edited:

The Shadow

I have SEVERAL questions
kiwifarms.net
- the only good igavania game ever made was SOTN, suggesting he's not nearly the genius people think he is but rather that it was lightning in a bottle

- the fucking swedes who made amnesia should be retroactively aborted for giving rise to the worst trend in gaming of the last thirty years
Igavanias were pretty cookie cutter experiences after SOTN to diminishing returns. The only people that kept them alive were weebs and goth yaoi fangirls that liked Ayame Kojima's drawings of pretty dudes. And maybe a few people that got bored with Pokemans on their DS.

Fucking Amnesia...I didn't find it scary, it's kore obnoxiously oversimplified. Without the hiding it is a walking sim. The reason most survival horrors had combat is because it's something interesting to do.

Quijibo69

Islamic Content
kiwifarms.net
Fucking Amnesia...I didn't find it scary, it's kore obnoxiously oversimplified. Without the hiding it is a walking sim. The reason most survival horrors had combat is because it's something interesting to do.
I liked Outlast and the DLC better and it was pretty much the same game. Avoid Outlast 2 on the other hand it sucked balls.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino