Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
In the spirit of the thread, Halo 1 had a good SP campaign.
How is that an unpopular opinion? Halo CE has been lauded for its campaign ever since it came out.

Now, a more unpopular opinion would be something like thinking 5 had a good campaign (surprise, I think it does).

Megaroad

Space Adventure
kiwifarms.net
Is this a "There are only Three Indiana Jones Movies" joke or are you that out of the loop?
I thought Reach was the last one made and some Halo Wars game.

edit: Has Halo really fallen that under the radar since the days of people lining up at midnight for Halo 2 (which was like a new thing iirc back then)? Not the biggest fps fan around and all I ever hear about through osmosis is Call of Duty and the like now a days.

Last edited:

The Shadow

The Shadow knows!
kiwifarms.net
- the only good igavania game ever made was SOTN, suggesting he's not nearly the genius people think he is but rather that it was lightning in a bottle

- the fucking swedes who made amnesia should be retroactively aborted for giving rise to the worst trend in gaming of the last thirty years
Igavanias were pretty cookie cutter experiences after SOTN to diminishing returns. The only people that kept them alive were weebs and goth yaoi fangirls that liked Ayame Kojima's drawings of pretty dudes. And maybe a few people that got bored with Pokemans on their DS.

Fucking Amnesia...I didn't find it scary, it's kore obnoxiously oversimplified. Without the hiding it is a walking sim. The reason most survival horrors had combat is because it's something interesting to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Count groudon

Quijibo69

Islamic Content
kiwifarms.net
Fucking Amnesia...I didn't find it scary, it's kore obnoxiously oversimplified. Without the hiding it is a walking sim. The reason most survival horrors had combat is because it's something interesting to do.
I liked Outlast and the DLC better and it was pretty much the same game. Avoid Outlast 2 on the other hand it sucked balls.

• Agree

Megaroad

Space Adventure
kiwifarms.net
I have a soft spot for Circle of the Moon and played it a few times again recently on the Wii U. I like the fact it doesn't recycle old graphical assets, had a difficulty and some sweet remixes. Kind of feels like an inbetween of the older games and Igavania.

Harmony is just a mess and wanted to be like SOTN but I think being on the GBA hurt it. Rumor has it that it was originally a console game. Do like dashing everywhere though and seeing all the graphical effects. Too bad about that music.

Aria plays it the safest after the two earlier games, being even closer to SotN than Harmony. Wish it did more with its future setting, but I like Kojima's art the most in this one and this is the last Yamane soundtracks other than Lament where she didn't phone it in (all her music now is a simple 4/4 time signature rock song with a forgettable melody that meanders).

DS is where the games kind of become a blur, with Dawn once again wasting away its setting and bad anime art, Portait being the bigger disappointment for once again wasting the time period and recycling the enviornments for the second half and Order just being kind of there.

Konover

Farmhand
kiwifarms.net
Paradox Interactive should be considered the EA of the Wargaming and Grand Strategy world. The games that they publish are broken on release. A person then has to buy a hundred+ dollars of DLC to begin to fix the problems as the base game slowly gets more fucked over by free "patches." And yet, somehow, they are still an extremely popular publisher.
Has anybody mentioned how they made Stellaris so goddamn complicated over time, to the point where I can't even keep up with it? At release it was a cool and interesting sci-fi strategy game, but they just added needless shit and subtracted good features away.

The Shadow

The Shadow knows!
kiwifarms.net
I have a soft spot for Circle of the Moon and played it a few times again recently on the Wii U. I like the fact it doesn't recycle old graphical assets, had a difficulty and some sweet remixes. Kind of feels like an inbetween of the older games and Igavania.

Harmony is just a mess and wanted to be like SOTN but I think being on the GBA hurt it. Rumor has it that it was originally a console game. Do like dashing everywhere though and seeing all the graphical effects. Too bad about that music.

Aria plays it the safest after the two earlier games, being even closer to SotN than Harmony. Wish it did more with its future setting, but I like Kojima's art the most in this one and this is the last Yamane soundtracks other than Lament where she didn't phone it in (all her music now is a simple 4/4 time signature rock song with a forgettable melody that meanders).

DS is where the games kind of become a blur, with Dawn once again wasting away its setting and bad anime art, Portait being the bigger disappointment for once again wasting the time period and recycling the enviornments for the second half and Order just being kind of there.
I don't so much count Circle of the Moon as an Igavania- IIRC he wasn't involved in its development. It did a nice job trying to bridge the gap between classic and metroidvania, and is probably the most challenging and creative of the bunch. It is my favorite of them.

One of the best launch titles I can recall for a handheld.

Captain Manning

"Good luck, kid."
kiwifarms.net
A Nightmare on Elm street was a pretty legit early attempt at what we'd now call a Metroidvania.
It also had 4 player support, a awake/dream cycle (where you could power up in the later), a memorable soundtrack, reasonable graphics...

I mean, it's hardly the greatest game ever, and it has legit issues, but I admire the ambition Rare showed in 1989.

That Punisher game was good too and surprisingly violent for a NES game
I thought Terminator 2 was also decent.

I mean, they had irredeemable dogshit like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future, and most (but not all) of the Marvel games, but AVGN vastly overstated how bad they were.

• Agree

BONE_Buddy

Deep Penetrator
kiwifarms.net
Has anybody mentioned how they made Stellaris so goddamn complicated over time, to the point where I can't even keep up with it? At release it was a cool and interesting sci-fi strategy game, but they just added needless shit and subtracted good features away.
Stellaris is/was a goddamn mess. It tried to be a "deep" strategy game while also trying to have a broad appeal. It ended up as a schizophrenic mess.

I personally came at it from another direction, I felt like I didn't have enough control, at least for what it was trying to do. Relationships were on autopilot, and that autopilot was suicidal. Divergent/rebellious populations had no way to be managed. And don't even get me started on the balance.

You know what hurts the game the most? Lack of a tech tree. Tech Trees provide a sense of progression, especially when every other empire is progressing at roughly the same rate.

That's my two cents about it. I haven't played the game since a month after launch. It left that bad of a taste in my mouth.

• Feels
Reactions: Konover

Posthumorous

Keeper of the Sacred Windows Vista.
kiwifarms.net
- Halo 4's story was kind of better and darker than anything Bungie really wrote. I honestly felt more tension.

- Anotha Halo one. Halo Reach kinda sucked. Can't blame Bungie for that one too much since they were damn near shitting it out, being the last Halo game they made.

- Despite the fact I kinda like this game and indeed have it, Rainbow Six: Siege is Counter-Strike on steroids, kind of has characters with personality ala Overwatch, and honestly seems shit as compared to Patriots and what it could've been.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino