Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Piss

kiwifarms.net
While I am usually a fan of video game music as a whole, I was never really interested in the music in Blizzard Games at all, and pretty much kept it on mute all the time.
I played plenty of The Lost Vikings, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Overwatch, and World of Warcraft. Can't hum a single bar of a single song from any of those. That music is very forgettable.

Qi Meng Dealer

No one's idea of a hot date
kiwifarms.net
I played plenty of The Lost Vikings, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Overwatch, and World of Warcraft. Can't hum a single bar of a single song from any of those. That music is very forgettable.
I can probably still hum the Play of the Game music in Overwatch, but yeah, I can't recall much of the other music from Blizzard games.

Reactions: Count groudon

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
I actually enjoyed Dead Rising 4 more than 1. Dead Rising 4 is considered the black sheep of the series and I don't really get it.
Because it’s not as immersive, overly focused on shooting zombies, it dropped the time limit and made the main character very unlikeable.

Just having 1 of these 4 wouldn’t have made it a bad game but all 4 really impacted it a great deal

1. The original Dead Rising was almost simulator like in how much depth it had. Like Crowbcat’s Dead Rising 4 video showcases a lot of this. Like you could make food like smoothies by gathering vegetables and putting them in a blender. The game’s engine even would be aware of how hard an object would be and if it would shatter a window if you threw it at one. A lot of this was because using guns was only 1 aspect of the game. Most of the time Frank would have to improvise and use what was in his environment to his advantage. So they built the game around that first and foremost.
  2. This made the game feel very generic. In the original Dead Rising and in DR2 the zombies were more akin to an obstacle the player was encouraged to find creative solutions around. Killing them was usually a waste of time
  3. The time limit is an aspect to DR1/2 that made the game more replay able. You couldn’t do “everything” unless you were extremely good at the game and most of the time you’d only see some of the content and not all of it. It encouraged experimentation and playing the game multiple times to see all of the endings. It’s an element where making the game more convenient just made it less replay able. The time limit had such an enormous impact on how Dead Rising 1 was designed that I genuinely think the developers dropping it was what resulted in the world being much simpler and having far less things to interact with. If there isn’t a reason to do things like find a microwave to cook pizza in to get more health then why would you?
  4. Frank is very unlikeable in DR4 compared to 1. He makes a lot of very unfunny jokes, is voiced by a different person and doesn’t really have a reason to be in the story as much as he’s thrown into it.
It was also extremely buggy and ugly. Like the NPC models and zombie models looked worse than the original. I still don’t know how they got away with things like the ball launcher not generating any physics object balls and just phasing through walls.

Oh and they ended the game on a cliffhanger and locked the true ending to the story in a dlc. No wonder the studio got liquidated a year later.

Crowbcat’s video really highlights a lot of these problems. When you look at Dead Rising 4 you see a game that looks less advanced than a game made 10 years prior to it.

Last edited:

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
Because it’s not as immersive, overly focused on shooting zombies, it dropped the time limit and made the main character very unlikeable.

Just having 1 of these 4 wouldn’t have made it a bad game but all 4 really impacted it a great deal

1. The original Dead Rising was almost simulator like in how much depth it had. Like Crowbcat’s Dead Rising 4 video showcases a lot of this. Like you could make food like smoothies by gathering vegetables and putting them in a blender. The game’s engine even would be aware of how hard an object would be and if it would shatter a window if you threw it at one. A lot of this was because using guns was only 1 aspect of the game. Most of the time Frank would have to improvise and use what was in his environment to his advantage. So they built the game around that first and foremost.
  2. This made the game feel very generic. In the original Dead Rising and in DR2 the zombies were more akin to an obstacle the player was encouraged to find creative solutions around. Killing them was usually a waste of time
  3. The time limit is an aspect to DR1/2 that made the game more replay able. You couldn’t do “everything” unless you were extremely good at the game and most of the time you’d only see some of the content and not all of it. It encouraged experimentation and playing the game multiple times to see all of the endings. It’s an element where making the game more convenient just made it less replay able. The time limit had such an enormous impact on how Dead Rising 1 was designed that I genuinely think the developers dropping it was what resulted in the world being much simpler and having far less things to interact with. If there isn’t a reason to do things like find a microwave to cook pizza in to get more health then why would you?
  4. Frank is very unlikeable in DR4 compared to 1. He makes a lot of very unfunny jokes, is voiced by a different person and doesn’t really have a reason to be in the story as much as he’s thrown into it.
It was also extremely buggy and ugly. Like the NPC models and zombie models looked worse than the original. I still don’t know how they got away with things like the ball launcher not generating any physics object balls and just phasing through walls.

Oh and they ended the game on a cliffhanger and locked the true ending to the story in a dlc. No wonder the studio got liquidated a year later.

Crowbcat’s video really highlights a lot of these problems. When you look at Dead Rising 4 you see a game that looks less advanced than a game made 10 years prior to it.
One thing I liked about Frank's character in 1 is that he never celebrated the death of any the psychos or had a one liner for them. He'd usually try and talk them down rather then provoke them and feel sad or disgusted after having killed one, he even went as far as understanding for the Vietnam veteran that lost his grand daughter.

4 also lost all of the interesting survivor encounters. In 4 all you do is clear enemies and the survivor runs off but in 1 you had to reunite families, extinguish a guy on fire, feed a fat bastard, save people from falling to their deaths, speak Japanese, and so on.

The only game in the series where I felt killing zombies in bulk to be worth it is Dead Rising 2 Off the Record since zombies don't re-spawn in the same area as you so its entirely possible to clear an area (including the entire strip) of zombies.

c-no

Psalty
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In comparison to other FPS games of the time like FEAR, I feel Half-Life 2 isn't that great. I find shooting clone troopers in bullet time to be more fun than shooting Combine. Won't deny the physics of Half-Life 2 were fun as was the gravity gun and Ravenholm but I don't really find myself engaged with Half-Life 2 which may as well be odd since I do enjoy the first Half-Life as well as Black Mesa and the Terminal 7 mod for Half-Life 2.

I honestly wish there were more games like the old school Fallout games. Beyond there being Wasteland 2, the only other developer that even bothers to try a isometric post-apocalyptic style was some Russians who literally made their own love letter to Fallout.

I don't even know if this is an unpopular opinion but I may as well just say it: as much as the unofficial patch fixes shit in VTMB, I don't really like how in it or its plus version the fact that the creator of it thought to add in somethings like showing the decapitation of your sire or a security guard with an obviously bad recording. The former looks badly animated that I find the cutaway, offscreen decapitation to be better and the latter really doesn't mesh well in any way, not with a cop hiding underground or the dialogue options given. I get that was to tell players of special speech options but that didn't really need any sort of tutorial explanation.

This may as well be more fitting in another thread but I feel this could be an unpopular opinion among spergs and idiots: arguing on whether games are political or not is all autism from both sides. Doesn't matter if its Pong or Bioshock, it's all just neckbearded manchildren and dangerhair manchildren trying to one up each other on electronic kids toys. Sure one could say Metal Gear Solid may be political but most of that game is also incomprehensible shit that ends up going more full exceptional individual the further the series went with, such as villains named "Hot Coldman" and having parasites that somehow give one special powers.

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
While I am usually a fan of video game music as a whole, I was never really interested in the music in Blizzard Games at all, and pretty much kept it on mute all the time.
The only ones I can remember were from Road and Roll Racing but they were MIDI reditions of classic rock songs.

Reactions: Count groudon

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
I honestly wish there were more games like the old school Fallout games. Beyond there being Wasteland 2, the only other developer that even bothers to try a isometric post-apocalyptic style was some Russians who literally made their own love letter to Fallout.
Play Arcanum. It was made by Tim Cain and co after they left Interplay post Fallout to form their own company Troika
Plays extremely similarly to Fallout except it's open world and fantasy based.

c-no

Psalty
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Play Arcanum. It was made by Tim Cain and co after they left Interplay post Fallout to form their own company Troika
Plays extremely similarly to Fallout except it's open world and fantasy based.
Oh I know of Arcanum, I just wish that for every game that tries to be a post-apocalyptic RPG, there'd be more that tried the old school formula of Fallout.

Piss

kiwifarms.net
I just don't understand why the Neo Geo is so beloved. Just about everything on there that I've tried has been fun for about five minutes, and then I just wanna play something else. Metal Slug is okay I guess, but it's just a less-good Contra.

I guess the system is biggest with fighting game fans, but I've never been into fighting games and I only ever have fun playing the
:neckbeard:WRONG ONES:neckbeard:
like Smash Bros. and Mortal Kombat (but only 9 and later). Fighting games without a big spectacle are tedious and just all run together for me.

(That being said, I'm open to recommendations of any other fighters with big spectacles, I really don't know much about the genre)

The Shadow

SCIENCE FICTION PERFORM DISTINCTIVE
kiwifarms.net
I just don't understand why the Neo Geo is so beloved. Just about everything on there that I've tried has been fun for about five minutes, and then I just wanna play something else. Metal Slug is okay I guess, but it's just a less-good Contra.

I guess the system is biggest with fighting game fans, but I've never been into fighting games and I only ever have fun playing the
:neckbeard:WRONG ONES:neckbeard:
like Smash Bros. and Mortal Kombat (but only 9 and later). Fighting games without a big spectacle are tedious and just all run together for me.

(That being said, I'm open to recommendations of any other fighters with big spectacles, I really don't know much about the genre)
Maybe you kind of had to be there for it, but having an arcade-perfect experience at home was mind-blowing in the 90's. And I have a lot of fond memories of playing Metal Slug with my friends at a pizzeria. It's well animated and comical and stuff blows up real good.

ExceptionallyExceptional

Autism Incarnate
kiwifarms.net
Amiibo is worse than loot boxes.
Not sure if I agree or disagree with that. With Amiibo at least you get a neat little figure to display on a shelf and know what you're paying for, whereas lootboxes can be a literal waste of money where you get nothing of value or items you don't need and don't want.
At the same time, Amiibo come in limited supply, meaning that unless you're quick you might not get the one you want or have to suck it up and buy one from a scalper.
But then, lootboxes are usually cheap as fuck, whereas Amiibos are way more expensive.

Fuck that's a hard choice to decide which one is worse. But then, I've grown a healthy dislike of Nintendo over the years because of how inept and greedy they've become, so I'm probably gonna have to agree with you on that.

Reactions: The Shadow

ZehnBoat

alram clocks
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if I agree or disagree with that. With Amiibo at least you get a neat little figure to display on a shelf and know what you're paying for, whereas lootboxes can be a literal waste of money where you get nothing of value or items you don't need and don't want.
At the same time, Amiibo come in limited supply, meaning that unless you're quick you might not get the one you want or have to suck it up and buy one from a scalper.
But then, lootboxes are usually cheap as fuck, whereas Amiibos are way more expensive.

Fuck that's a hard choice to decide which one is worse. But then, I've grown a healthy dislike of Nintendo over the years because of how inept and greedy they've become, so I'm probably gonna have to agree with you on that.
it's either the hard to get and expensive guarantee, or the cheap and easy to get gamble

it's like so many other things in life

Glad I couldn't help

Now with edge anime avatar
kiwifarms.net
I liked the main twist of Final Fantasy X, where our protagonist discovers that he and his entire previous life, is a product of the Fayth's dreaming and, if they defeat Sin forever, they stop dreaming and he "dies". It's weird, unexpected, unsettling, and eerie, as well as nicely reverses Yuna's and Tidus' position in the story. It's not Homer or Shakespeare, but for a video game plot point, I think does its job well.

Looking back, the game was clearly a product of times, a transitional phase (e.g. no overworld map, but there are still abstract random encounters. I read that the team wanted to have enemies on the field, but ran out of time; is this true?). And there are some glaring flaws: e.g. is it just me, or was the first plot twist of X, than Yuna would die after the final summoning, kind of obvious? But FFX was my first FF and I am more willing to put up with flaws than many others.

Qi Meng Dealer

No one's idea of a hot date
kiwifarms.net

On the plus side, Amiibos are usable in many games, so it's kinda like you bought multiple loot boxes across a number of games, with more to come as long as games continue to include functionality for it, so the cost of those theoretical loot boxes through Amiibos go down over time.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
I kind of like it when gamers boycott shit because "muh scary sjws." It drives the price down so you can snag it for a song. Just got Far Cry New Dawn for $15.
Yeah, I'm sort of considering getting Battlefield V at some point since it's so cheap these days.

For all the PR shitstorms that it caused, it is built off of Battlefield 1's foundation, so I'm sure I can still have some fun.

Anonymous For This

Flying pierogis at vienna.
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I'm sort of considering getting Battlefield V at some point since it's so cheap these days.

For all the PR shitstorms that it caused, it is built off of Battlefield 1's foundation, so I'm sure I can still have some fun.

A friend and I have been playing it. It's just a reskinned BF1 in my opinion. It is fun, but I didn't feel like they did anything new.

And they put in red dot sights in a WWII game, like they did in BF1. It's dumb.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino