Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

J

JM 590

kiwifarms.net
I just don't understand why the Neo Geo is so beloved. Just about everything on there that I've tried has been fun for about five minutes, and then I just wanna play something else. Metal Slug is okay I guess, but it's just a less-good Contra.

I guess the system is biggest with fighting game fans, but I've never been into fighting games and I only ever have fun playing the
:neckbeard:WRONG ONES:neckbeard:
like Smash Bros. and Mortal Kombat (but only 9 and later). Fighting games without a big spectacle are tedious and just all run together for me.

(That being said, I'm open to recommendations of any other fighters with big spectacles, I really don't know much about the genre)

The Shadow

Talk to the Hand
kiwifarms.net
I just don't understand why the Neo Geo is so beloved. Just about everything on there that I've tried has been fun for about five minutes, and then I just wanna play something else. Metal Slug is okay I guess, but it's just a less-good Contra.

I guess the system is biggest with fighting game fans, but I've never been into fighting games and I only ever have fun playing the
:neckbeard:WRONG ONES:neckbeard:
like Smash Bros. and Mortal Kombat (but only 9 and later). Fighting games without a big spectacle are tedious and just all run together for me.

(That being said, I'm open to recommendations of any other fighters with big spectacles, I really don't know much about the genre)
Maybe you kind of had to be there for it, but having an arcade-perfect experience at home was mind-blowing in the 90's. And I have a lot of fond memories of playing Metal Slug with my friends at a pizzeria. It's well animated and comical and stuff blows up real good.

ExceptionallyExceptional

Autism Incarnate
kiwifarms.net
Amiibo is worse than loot boxes.
Not sure if I agree or disagree with that. With Amiibo at least you get a neat little figure to display on a shelf and know what you're paying for, whereas lootboxes can be a literal waste of money where you get nothing of value or items you don't need and don't want.
At the same time, Amiibo come in limited supply, meaning that unless you're quick you might not get the one you want or have to suck it up and buy one from a scalper.
But then, lootboxes are usually cheap as fuck, whereas Amiibos are way more expensive.

Fuck that's a hard choice to decide which one is worse. But then, I've grown a healthy dislike of Nintendo over the years because of how inept and greedy they've become, so I'm probably gonna have to agree with you on that.

• Feels
Reactions: The Shadow

ZehnBoat

Houston Abstros
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if I agree or disagree with that. With Amiibo at least you get a neat little figure to display on a shelf and know what you're paying for, whereas lootboxes can be a literal waste of money where you get nothing of value or items you don't need and don't want.
At the same time, Amiibo come in limited supply, meaning that unless you're quick you might not get the one you want or have to suck it up and buy one from a scalper.
But then, lootboxes are usually cheap as fuck, whereas Amiibos are way more expensive.

Fuck that's a hard choice to decide which one is worse. But then, I've grown a healthy dislike of Nintendo over the years because of how inept and greedy they've become, so I'm probably gonna have to agree with you on that.
it's either the hard to get and expensive guarantee, or the cheap and easy to get gamble

it's like so many other things in life

Glad I couldn't help

Ohai!
kiwifarms.net
I liked the main twist of Final Fantasy X, where our protagonist discovers that he and his entire previous life, is a product of the Fayth's dreaming and, if they defeat Sin forever, they stop dreaming and he "dies". It's weird, unexpected, unsettling, and eerie, as well as nicely reverses Yuna's and Tidus' position in the story. It's not Homer or Shakespeare, but for a video game plot point, I think does its job well.

Looking back, the game was clearly a product of times, a transitional phase (e.g. no overworld map, but there are still abstract random encounters. I read that the team wanted to have enemies on the field, but ran out of time; is this true?). And there are some glaring flaws: e.g. is it just me, or was the first plot twist of X, than Yuna would die after the final summoning, kind of obvious? But FFX was my first FF and I am more willing to put up with flaws than many others.

Qi Meng Dealer

kiwifarms.net

On the plus side, Amiibos are usable in many games, so it's kinda like you bought multiple loot boxes across a number of games, with more to come as long as games continue to include functionality for it, so the cost of those theoretical loot boxes through Amiibos go down over time.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
I kind of like it when gamers boycott shit because "muh scary sjws." It drives the price down so you can snag it for a song. Just got Far Cry New Dawn for $15.
Yeah, I'm sort of considering getting Battlefield V at some point since it's so cheap these days.

For all the PR shitstorms that it caused, it is built off of Battlefield 1's foundation, so I'm sure I can still have some fun.

Anonymous For This

Flying pierogis at vienna.
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I'm sort of considering getting Battlefield V at some point since it's so cheap these days.

For all the PR shitstorms that it caused, it is built off of Battlefield 1's foundation, so I'm sure I can still have some fun.

A friend and I have been playing it. It's just a reskinned BF1 in my opinion. It is fun, but I didn't feel like they did anything new.

And they put in red dot sights in a WWII game, like they did in BF1. It's dumb.

OddEyes

kiwifarms.net
And thats what i mean about Jose. Even when he is not really wrong per se, he is incapable of seeing games from a different perspective than his. Nothing shows this better than his "horror games are not scary because you can respawn" video. Joseph always see games from a meta perspective so he is incapable of suspending his disbelief, so he thinks only a game with permadeath is a true "#horror" game and nothing else counts.
So, I know that this is probably really late, but if you wanna talk about Joseph Anderson, and his video on horror, he experienced Silent Hill 2 for the first time in one of his livestreams. Which is probably one of the WORST ways to go about playing a horror game, since your attention is divided between not only the game, but your audience too, so you can't get a good grasp of the more finer details.

Want some proof?

"The Town is making James Stupid"

"There was a time that James didn't know Mary is dead, when he killed her."

"How did Laura get there."

"I don't understand what Pyramid head is"

"Pyramid head died because I hit him with a sword."

And if you watch his horror game video, he claims he came to the conclusion in that video because of his first playthrough of Silent Hill 2.

I dunno. I think my unpopular opinion is I think Joseph Anderson is a hack.

OddEyes

kiwifarms.net
holy jesus i spent a good 10 seconds with my arms in the air in pure disbelief
out of all of silent hill's symbology it's one of the easiest to understand
Have you seen his Danganronpa Livestream? Where he fought against his audience where he missed a piece of evidence in the courtroom scene and questioned how it could've been that answer.

J

JM 590

kiwifarms.net
On the plus side, Amiibos are usable in many games, so it's kinda like you bought multiple loot boxes across a number of games, with more to come as long as games continue to include functionality for it, so the cost of those theoretical loot boxes through Amiibos go down over time.
That, and the games with lootbox-style Amiibo drops let you scan them as many times as you want, but only once a day.

The trick with Amiibo is to just go on Wish or something and buy a deck of bootleg NFC tags for cheap. Only buy the figures if you actually want the figures.

Ambidextype

Rubbing hand intensifies
kiwifarms.net
Japanese games will always be better at storytelling than Western games. Japanese game developers have always expressed their creativity taking no prisoners as a result the outcome shines through while western devs are all either voluntarily or involuntarily tie themselves to political correctness, they just can't truly write the game in organic and fluid manner. Their stories have to suffer bogged down by unnecessary inclusion of lgbtq, mary sues and current political issues trying to tie these elements to the main story.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
Japanese games will always be better at storytelling than Western games. Japanese game developers have always expressed their creativity taking no prisoners as a result the outcome shines through while western devs are all either voluntarily or involuntarily tie themselves to political correctness, they just can't truly write the game in organic and fluid manner. Their stories have to suffer bogged down by unnecessary inclusion of lgbtq, mary sues and current political issues trying to tie these elements to the main story.
I think the big problem here is that Western games are currently going through this trend where they have to be super serious and try to be "more than just a game, guys!!" You can tell the writers are almost ashamed they're making a story for a video game and want to make "real art." You don't get that problem with most Japanese games; they're much more gleeful in their approach to to the story.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino