Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Sexyphobe

kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but Darkwing Duck > Chip n Dale 1 > Ducktales 2 > Ducktales games all from the NES. Ducktales 1 had better music and level design than 2, but the control is worse which makes it less enjoyable. I'm not sure if Chip/Darkwing gets the same love as Ducktales in retro circles, but they should.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow > Symphony of the Night. I'm not sure why but I just don't like SOTN. It's not bad, I just think the other MetroidVania games (really hate that term, but in this context it works) are better.

Reactions: Violence Jack
Alice: Madness Returns is a better game than Alice and imo deserved a better launch. it's still mediocre overall but the art direction was very good and it's a serviceable action platformer all said.
EA9A44F3-F5F7-4827-9F52-FE301E5BEBAD.gif

Reactions: Sexyphobe

Sevatonius

kiwifarms.net
Just bought Mass Effect Andromeda for 15 bucks. ignoring the ugly frostbite engine, the multiplayer is great and the game feels like a welcomed return to Mass Effect 1 exploration with 2-3 combat. I think I like it better than 2 and 3

An Account

kiwifarms.net
I prefer the first Silent Hill to Silent Hill 2. I find old, PSX graphics a little uncanny to begin with, so it really adds to the experience. Plus, Rompers are one of the most underappreciated monsters in the series. That fucking laughing/grunting noise they make still gets to me.

The fact that people are still obsessed with Pokemon fascinates me. The game's core is a really slow, grindy JRPG that never came out of the 90s. JRPGs and other grinding-based games in general are just really lame. Deriving pleasure from killing the same low level enemies ten-thousand times in a row so you can roflstomp the big bad guy at the end is almost inconceivably autistic to me.

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
I prefer the first Silent Hill to Silent Hill 2. I find old, PSX graphics a little uncanny to begin with, so it really adds to the experience. Plus, Rompers are one of the most underappreciated monsters in the series. That fucking laughing/grunting noise they make still gets to me.
Low-poly horror games in general are extremely underrated. I've always found them a lot more unsettling than higher-poly, more detailed horror games. I even find older Resident Evil games to be creepier than the newer ones (REmake 1 being possibly the only exception).

Sexyphobe

kiwifarms.net
Alice: Madness Returns is a better game than Alice and imo deserved a better launch. it's still mediocre overall but the art direction was very good and it's a serviceable action platformer all said.
View attachment 792585
The story, graphics and art direction in Madness Returns are fine, but it's just too damn long for its own good. The combat was also only average at best, it needed to either have more weapon variety, or be half as long. I'd still like a third game, though.

It also felt like it was trying too hard to be DARK and EDGY.

The story, graphics and art direction in Madness Returns are fine, but it's just too damn long for its own good. The combat was also only average at best, it needed to either have more weapon variety, or be half as long. I'd still like a third game, though.

It also felt like it was trying too hard to be DARK and EDGY.
yeah I disliked the plot thread about sexual abuse. other than that imo the unabashed edgelord vibe is one of its virtues. I don't like when inherently dorky concepts try to hedge their bets and tone it down instead of owning it. fully agree on all your other points though. American McGee is in general not a very good dev.

Last edited:

Basil II

National Opthalmologist of Bulgaria
kiwifarms.net
This is one of my favorite things to sperg about, especially when it's something unsettling like LSD Dream Emulator, I love PSX graphics, they're just fucking weird in a way that games after the era have never been able to replicate, this also applies to other systems from the era like N64 and PC games like Quake. One of my favorite examples of this is Worlds, an ancient SecondLife style chat room from the 90's.

Here's BowieWorld
BowieWorld.gif

LSD Dream Emulator

lsd dream emulator.png

lsd2.png

see also: geocities

DogEatDogFood

How lolcows are real if our eyes aren't real?
kiwifarms.net
God of War 3 is a fucking disaster of a story even if the game it's fun. Why the fuck the maniac that kills innocent people and literally destroyed the fucking world is somehow the "hope" of the world?

Baldur's Gait

kiwifarms.net
God of War 3 is a fucking disaster of a story even if the game it's fun. Why the fuck the maniac that kills innocent people and literally destroyed the fucking world is somehow the "hope" of the world?
The one thing I really liked about the story is the theme of family that runs throughout that subtly taunts Kratos for his own failures as a father. It's a nice way of rounding out his arc from the first game while also giving the game some emotional depth and adds weight to the dream sequence at the end.

Other than that, the story is fucking dumb. I never understood why Kratos had to go after Pandora's Box again after he already used it in the first game. The hope thing is also badly handled; it could have maybe worked in the first 2 games when Kratos wasn't completely insane, but trying it in the 3rd game feels like a half-assed way of making Kratos seem like less of a villain.

I do really enjoy the theme of family in the game, and it does kinda salvage the nonsensical story in some regards for me, but the story itself is still dumb as hell.

• Agree
Reactions: scorptatious

Sexyphobe

kiwifarms.net
yeah I disliked the plot thread about sexual abuse. other than that imo the unabashed edgelord vibe is one of its virtues. I don't like when inherently dorky concepts try to hedge their bets and tone it down instead of owning it. fully agree on all your other points though. American McGee is in general not a very good dev.
I can see the charm in that. But yeah, all style but no substance can only get you so far.

Qi Meng Dealer

No one's idea of a hot date
kiwifarms.net
I sometimes prefer to play games on Easy difficulty. The job is stressful and I want to feel like Superman for a couple of hours when I get home. That is where Easy difficulty comes in. I can just turn the brain off and cause lots of damage with a minimal amount of effort.
Same. I don't have the same free time I used to because of adult demands.

I like the idea of Limited Run and co. publishing physical copies of games that are otherwise download-exclusive, but man, I'm so tired of checking on those websites just to see some $5 schlock being sold for $30-50. Some people buy every last game they list, just to put on their shelves and never even open.

ah, yes, my sealed physical copy of Nurse Love Syndrome for the PlayStation Vita will pay for my future child's college, just you wait and see
Going on a tangent here, I appreciate the idea of collector's editions for games, but what usually happens is that half of the supply for the bigger games (probably exaggerating, but whatever) inevitably just goes to scalpers. It's not even former gamers who found something else to do with their lives hence the decision to sell, it's just pure scalpers. It would be nice if companies would keep making CEs as long as the demand is there (at least for even just the first six months from the game's release), so more actual fans can get their hands on CEs at a decent price. That's probably not that popular an opinion for those who see CEs as "investments" (like the people you mention).

Baldur's Gait

kiwifarms.net
Crash Bandicoot: Warped is my least favorite of the original Crash trilogy. That isn't to say it's bad or anything; the platforming is arguably the best and some of the level ideas are really creative, with Coco's China levels being a personal highlight. And the game has the best death animations of the PS1 games.

Thing is though, Crash 3's lows are more frequent and lower than the lows of the previous games. I hate the underwater levels and the motorcycle levels are irritating. The worst thing about Crash 3 though is the mandatory time trials that need to be completed to finish the game entirely. Crash 3's time trials are so time-consuming (pun not intended) and tedious, and I hate that they're required to see the secret ending.

To give you an idea of the gulf between Crash 3 and the first two for me, I've 100%ed Crash 1 and 2 countless times and I still replay the both of them every now and then. I've only ever fully completed Crash 3, time trials and all, once. I don't have the patience or willpower to finish it all again. And it sucks because Crash 3 is a lot of fun when you aren't having to deal with tedious bullshit.

Baldur's Gait

kiwifarms.net
Double posting but fuck it.

I'm starting to understand why seventh gen games are receiving remasters, because quite frankly a lot of them ran like ass. I've been replaying Mass Effect on PS3, and at first I thought the technical issues were because they were ported to the PlayStation, until I found out they were there since their initial release on Xbox. Like holy shit, we put up with a lot of jank in the seventh generation that we would not have tolerated in the sixth. Mass Effect's probably a bad example since it doesn't have a remaster (not unless you play it on PC), but that said games like Uncharted and DmC perform so much better with their respective remasters and it hammers home that the seventh gen was all about looking nice instead of playing okay.

• Agree
Reactions: Piss and BR55

jellycar

Actually Patty Hearst...or ScarJo if you prefer.
kiwifarms.net
Bayonetta 1 is superior in all aspects for a variety of reasons:

A. While I like her outfit in 2 more, I think the long hair works better.
B. Jeanne is integral to the plot as opposed to 2 where she has like 5 minutes max.
C. Amnesia mixed with origin story but with a twist.
D. Superior theme song
E. Provided much more challenge
F. Final boss was the best
G. No annoying teenager voiced by a guy who unfortunately cannot act. (Fuck you Loki. The Asian guy did a bad job dubbing)
H. More Luka

The sequel had much more variety in outfits though.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino