Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

WinterMoonsLight

J'ai une âme solitaire
kiwifarms.net
Quite a few fighting games on the n64 that weren't very well received I enjoyed. Dark Rift and Xena: the Talisman of Fate were two I played a lot of and had fun with.

scorptatious

Lord of the Shitters
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bayonetta 1 is superior in all aspects for a variety of reasons:

A. While I like her outfit in 2 more, I think the long hair works better.
B. Jeanne is integral to the plot as opposed to 2 where she has like 5 minutes max.
C. Amnesia mixed with origin story but with a twist.
D. Superior theme song
E. Provided much more challenge
F. Final boss was the best
G. No annoying teenager voiced by a guy who unfortunately cannot act. (Fuck you Loki. The Asian guy did a bad job dubbing)
H. More Luka

The sequel had much more variety in outfits though.
They for whatever reason made it so using items doesn’t count against your end of level rank, so you can make a whole bunch of invincibility lolipops, use them all the time and you can still get Pure Platinum.

How did something like that get past the Dev team?

Really the only thing 2 improved on was kicking the QTE’s to the curb.

Dafrunk89

kiwifarms.net
Voiced protagonists in "create-your-own-character" RPGs are shit without exception. The way they sound and react is always wrong, dialogue options are heavily restricted and often meaningless. It's surface interaction with no other value than to ruin my immersion, my day, and my body.

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
I don't like how Castlevania went from a dark, Gothic style to cutesy weeb shit. It kinda takes away from the atmosphere when you're playing a vamp hunter who is either a pretty boy anime hero, or Loli bait.
That's honestly been a big turn off for me when it comes to Castlevania post Symphony of the Night. Symphony had shades of it thanks to Alucard but it was still a Gothic and atmospheric game. And it's kind of a shame too since Ayami Kojima's art for the series is fantastic.

This comparison shot between Aria and Dawn of Sorrow really says it all I think.
SomaAoSandDoS.png

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Voiced protagonists in "create-your-own-character" RPGs are shit without exception. The way they sound and react is always wrong, dialogue options are heavily restricted and often meaningless. It's surface interaction with no other value than to ruin my immersion, my day, and my body.
The only game that did it right was probably Saints Row 3 and the original Mass Effect.

• Agree
Reactions: c-no

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Gaming is in a pretty good place these days.

For over a decade now there's been a cynical attitude of "gaming sucks now and another 1983 style crash is right around the corner" and always some thing people point to as gaming's "doom", first it was DLC, then it was micro transactions, then it was lootboxes and so on.

Sure, things aren't perfect and there are modern aspects of gaming I dislike and things from yesteryear that I miss, but what people are forgetting is that the more things change, the more they stay the same, today's scummy business practices is just yesterday's scummy business practices in another form, there's always been a lot of greed in the industry.

I would say the past equivalent would be shitty licensed games clogging up store shelves, in which case something like lootboxes don't seem so bad, since an otherwise good game might have them that you can easily ignore, as opposed to an absolute trash game like Superman 64.

Point is, in any era of gaming there's always good games and bad games, people who think otherwise are letting nostalgia blind them to the downsides of the past and the upsides of the present day.

My main beef with modern gaming is the SJW stuff, I'd like to see gaming get it's balls back and bring back some of the old sex and violence it used to have, which I think Cyberpunk 2077 just might be the game to do it.

Dafrunk89

kiwifarms.net
The only game that did it right was probably Saints Row 3 and the original Mass Effect.
True, but I don't consider Mass Effect to be an RPG where you create your own character. You're Commander Shepard, no matter the class or the throwaway background, no matter what you do, and the story is quite rigid, you can't affect it too much. Just like Geralt in Witcher. The "role" is already so heavily defined and restricted that these games get a pass, if done right.

Loopy Lew

kiwifarms.net
Thatgamecompany doesn't make anything worth cumming over. I don't get why people think that their stuff is legendary. Journey is a complete bore no matter how many times I try it and Flower is both a bore and completely annoying to control. Not even that aesthetically amazing either.

AsbestosFlaygon

Dount steel, it's my damn property!
kiwifarms.net
I hate the term indie, I don't like how any company that isn't a Triple A developer or attached to one just seems to be considered indie by default. I always find it odd to see companies with 100+ employees getting lumped together with actual small projects. To me that makes it far to broad and effectively makes it a worthless term, because of how many games are considered indie titles.

• Disagree
Reactions: Safir and Sexyphobe

Sexyphobe

kiwifarms.net
Fable 2 was terrible and a complete let down from Fable 1. Only things I really liked about it was the jobs/how alive the cities felt, and that clothing didn't have any stats (but your character still looks grotesque the more you upgrade so meh).

Whose idea was it to destroy the Heroes Guild? Why make it so you have to stand still to cast magic? Why are all the characters so bland and annoying? WHY IS IT SO BLURRY?

scorptatious

Lord of the Shitters
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Gaming is in a pretty good place these days.

For over a decade now there's been a cynical attitude of "gaming sucks now and another 1983 style crash is right around the corner" and always some thing people point to as gaming's "doom", first it was DLC, then it was micro transactions, then it was lootboxes and so on.

Sure, things aren't perfect and there are modern aspects of gaming I dislike and things from yesteryear that I miss, but what people are forgetting is that the more things change, the more they stay the same, today's scummy business practices is just yesterday's scummy business practices in another form, there's always been a lot of greed in the industry.

I would say the past equivalent would be shitty licensed games clogging up store shelves, in which case something like lootboxes don't seem so bad, since an otherwise good game might have them that you can easily ignore, as opposed to an absolute trash game like Superman 64.

Point is, in any era of gaming there's always good games and bad games, people who think otherwise are letting nostalgia blind them to the downsides of the past and the upsides of the present day.

My main beef with modern gaming is the SJW stuff, I'd like to see gaming get it's balls back and bring back some of the old sex and violence it used to have, which I think Cyberpunk 2077 just might be the game to do it.
The big difference is, the internet wasn't as big as it is now. So not as many people were aware of some of the more scummy things that go behind the scenes as there are now.

With revelation comes disillusionment. And with disillusionment comes a desire for things to return to the way they used to be. A supposedly "better" time.

• Agree
Reactions: AsbestosFlaygon

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I prefer the first Silent Hill to Silent Hill 2. I find old, PSX graphics a little uncanny to begin with, so it really adds to the experience. Plus, Rompers are one of the most underappreciated monsters in the series. That fucking laughing/grunting noise they make still gets to me.
I disagree but I can totally respect this opinion, there is a certain magic to Silent Hill 1's PS1 graphics that create a special creepy atmosphere.

Really Silent Hill 1-3 are all equally amazing for different reasons if you ask me.

That's honestly been a big turn off for me when it comes to Castlevania post Symphony of the Night. Symphony had shades of it thanks to Alucard but it was still a Gothic and atmospheric game. And it's kind of a shame too since Ayami Kojima's art for the series is fantastic.

This comparison shot between Aria and Dawn of Sorrow really says it all I think.
View attachment 824907
This is true but Dawn of Sorrow is so amazing you can easily forgive the worse character art, at least if you ask me.

It does suck though, I can only assume it was a Konami management decision.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino