Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much every game should be set to some kind of ironman mode by default to discourage autismal savescumming. Adapting to the punches and dealing with the consequences is fun. Played Shogun 2 that way and it was 10x better.
I thought FO4 had some interesting ideas with its patched-in survival difficulty like only being able to save at beds, but of course in a game as crash-prone as that one it didn't work very well.

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
I don't like the GTA franchise. After doing a few missions of wanton destruction, I get really bored. The combat is mediocre and is basically just lock-on and shoot.

I never found the Amnesia games particularly scary. The first one had nice atmosphere, but everyone I knew kept going on and on about how pants-shitting scary it was, especially the invisible creature that chases you in the water.

Either I've just been spoiled and desensitized by the horror media I enjoy, or the people who think this is scary are some of the biggest pussies out there.
I won't say it's super scary, but I was on edge a lot whenever a monster was around. But I'm also a bit of a wuss when it comes to horror games

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
I don't like the GTA franchise. After doing a few missions of wanton destruction, I get really bored. The combat is mediocre and is basically just lock-on and shoot
My problem is that whatever GTA does, I can name games that do better. For instance, I prefer superhero sandboxes like Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction or Spider-Man because traveling around the world is so much more fun than simply driving. I dunno, just driving is so boring to me. And if I want to cause some chaos, then I play Postal 2 because that game gives you an insane amount of options, not to mention the world is a lot more reactive to the havoc you wreak.

That and GTA's controls are awful. Just all of them control like shit.

AsbestosFlaygon

Dount steel, it's my damn property!
kiwifarms.net
The national pokedex sperging is the dumbest thing i have ever seen.
I don't care for Game Freak or Pokemon either way, but to me it always seems that any sort of drama around the games gets overblown. It feels more like people are taking advantage of this just to vent grievances they had well before this shit. Personally I'd say it sucks, but it's understandable that you can't bring back every Pokemon, fact is this is inevitable that it would happen, I'm sure you could delay it because frankly Game Freak certainly isn't the best at optimizing development, but it's going to be a issue at some point regardless. Also it's not going to matter if the game's fine, I mean Let's Go was received well enough, this on its own won't hurt them, from what I remember all the 3DS games had their own issues that people bitched about.

• Agree
Reactions: I Love Beef

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My problem is that whatever GTA does, I can name games that do better. For instance, I prefer superhero sandboxes like Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction or Spider-Man because traveling around the world is so much more fun than simply driving. I dunno, just driving is so boring to me. And if I want to cause some chaos, then I play Postal 2 because that game gives you an insane amount of options, not to mention the world is a lot more reactive to the havoc you wreak.

Honestly the Saints Row games are way better open world titles. SR2 actually integrates its open world into the missions well unlike Rockstar's games who keep insisting on making their shitty missions "cinematic" now aka you have to always exactly follow what they tell you to do, no fun allowed-style.

• Agree
Reactions: I Love Beef and Fek

Baldur's Gait

kiwifarms.net
Honestly the Saints Row games are way better open world titles. SR2 actually integrates its open world into the missions well unlike Rockstar's games who keep insisting on making their shitty missions "cinematic" now aka you have to always exactly follow what they tell you to do, no fun allowed-style.
I've always wanted to play Saints Row. I got the PC version of 2 on sale but I found out too late that it's poorly optimized even with a good computer.

Is 1 worth playing at all? What little I played of 2 left me confused regarding the story and I don't have an Xbox 360.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Not sure if it is an unpopular opinion, but i have, to say the least, mixed feelings towards silent protagonists in first person shooters, many people would say that a silent player character is better to make the game more immersive, that may be true, but i played Half Life 2: Episode 1 recently, and seeing Alyx constantly talking to Gordon only to get dead silence in return looks awkward as fuck
There was possibly a story explanation for why Gordon never spoke, some of the Vortigaunts dialog in 2 hints at the idea that Gordon is possessed by some sort of alien entity, hence why an average Joe scientist can take on literal armies and win.

At any rate Marc Laidlaw's leaks for Episode 3 seemed to imply that they wanted Alyx to be the new player character after Episode 3, which would have circumvented the silent protagonist problem.

My unpopular opinion is that I loved Bioshock Infinite the more I played it, and loved that the conflict between the Founders and Vox turned out to not be "good versus evil" but "look at these assholes, they're ALL assholes". It could have been better in places and I feel like meddling from 2K probably had a hand in that, but it's by far my most replayed game in the series.

I agree that it was held back by expectations attached to the Bioshock name, though.

It's refreshing that after a decade of the media's non-stop sucking of Half-Life 2's dick to finally see someone point out that it wasn't perfect.
At the end of the day my big problem with Infinite was it lacked the exploration the original game had, almost every level was linear, with maybe a few nooks and crannies, as opposed to the open, interconnected maps of the first game.

Burial at Sea was pure pandering on Irrational's part- to Bioshock 1 fanboys that complained that it didn't take place in Rapture, and to critics that complained about the Vox being the bad guys or the game being violent and Elizabeth not being the player character. I remember a fuckton of thinkpieces about these things.

Booker using violence as his primary means of solving problems is a core feature of his story. It wouldn't make sense for him to bargain with his enemies or sneak around.
You've got to admit though it was cool as hell to see Rapture again and the moment that ties in with Suchong's death was so clever it felt like it had been planned all along since 2007.

Plus it all ended in such a way that seemed to be a conclusion for the series, which is why there's never been any rumblings of a new Bioshock game in the years since as far as I know.

• Feels
Reactions: Violence Jack

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
I don't care for Game Freak or Pokemon either way, but to me it always seems that any sort of drama around the games gets overblown. It feels more like people are taking advantage of this just to vent grievances they had well before this shit. Personally I'd say it sucks, but it's understandable that you can't bring back every Pokemon, fact is this is inevitable that it would happen, I'm sure you could delay it because frankly Game Freak certainly isn't the best at optimizing development, but it's going to be a issue at some point regardless. Also it's not going to matter if the game's fine, I mean Let's Go was received well enough, this on its own won't hurt them, from what I remember all the 3DS games had their own issues that people bitched about.
They overproduced the 3DS models so they would be future proof and now they're claiming it's too much work to move them over. I see why people are annoyed.

I don't like the GTA franchise. After doing a few missions of wanton destruction, I get really bored. The combat is mediocre and is basically just lock-on and shoot.

I won't say it's super scary, but I was on edge a lot whenever a monster was around. But I'm also a bit of a wuss when it comes to horror games
This is completely understandable. I like San Andreas a lot (or did when I was a kid; it's too dated for me now), but thought GTA V was basically wank.

If you want to just tear shit up, there's a million other sandbox games out there that have gimmicks which make them better than "realistic" (4 and 5) GTA.

Third person sandbox games better than GTA V:
- Watch_Dogs (the original)
- Any Assassin's Creed game except for Syndicate (which is pretty mediocre)
- Sleeping Dogs
- Just Cause 2

So basically, all of them. The only one I've played I wouldn't say was better was LA Noire, because while I really liked it, it wasn't a real sandbox game, just a linear game with a hub world.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
I've always wanted to play Saints Row. I got the PC version of 2 on sale but I found out too late that it's poorly optimized even with a good computer.

Is 1 worth playing at all? What little I played of 2 left me confused regarding the story and I don't have an Xbox 360.
There’s not much about the story of 1 that you need to know going into 2, but it is strongly rumoured that a multi platform remaster of 1 is coming sometime soon. The only important thing to know is that the Saints took over Stillwater, but the Boss (player character) got betrayed by one of his lieutenants, and blown up. Taking advantage of that opening, the rival gangs reconstituted themselves and took back their territories, and Johnny Gat got arrested.

Also, there is a fan patch called Gentlemen of the Row that will fix a lot of the worst bugs for the PC release of 2.

• Informative
Reactions: Safir

Ruin

Big tiddy Nazi GF
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nah, not really.

It's weird to think how quickly Saints Row disappeared off everybody's radar though. If they didn't rush out 4 like they did...
The series lost most of it's fanbase after it went full on "lol so randums superpowers butts xd xd." Supposedly the planned reboot is continuing where 2 left off and is similar in tone to the first two so if true it's nice that at least one developer listens to fan feedback.

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net

The only GTA games I've bothered to finish were Vice City and San Andreas. I do really love Bully though, even if it isn't exactly a perfect game. Sometime a good atmosphere and vibe can make up for shortcomings in game mechanics, and I just love to see all the weird, unexpected stuff NPCs do (or can be forced to do) while free roaming. Makes me hope Bully 2 will be similarly good if it ever comes out.

Oh, and I vastly prefer the new Samurai Showdown over MK11. Both opt to be slower, more footsie based fighting games as opposed to the combo\rushdown heavy fighting games from a couple years go, but Samsho does it so much better. I also prefer the more stylized look of it, it feels like a perfected version of the moving painting style Capcom was going for with SFIV. Now if only SNK would improve the net code! Hopefully the Steam version will deliver in that aspect as well.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
The series lost most of it's fanbase after it went full on "lol so randums superpowers butts xd xd." Supposedly the planned reboot is continuing where 2 left off and is similar in tone to the first two so if true it's nice that at least one developer listens to fan feedback.
What really hurt the sequels was the fact that 4 and Gat out of Hell were both supposed to be DLC for 3, but after the THQ bankruptcy, Deep Silver wanted to make bank off of buying Volition and the IP, so 4 was rushed out as a full game and Gat was held back until the remaster was released. It’s super obvious since half of the trophy lists for 4 and Gat are copied directly from 3, most notably the trophy for 40 hours of gameplay when the two would-be DLCs only have about 12 hours of material in them.

2 was a better game in some ways than three, but the tonal whiplash between the main story and the side stuff was pretty severe, especially when you could impersonate a cop to break up a polygamist getting beaten up by his wives, then see Johnny Gat execute someone for harming a loved one after an impassioned speech.

• Agree
Reactions: Violence Jack

Baldur's Gait

kiwifarms.net
The only GTA games I've bothered to finish were Vice City and San Andreas. I do really love Bully though, even if it isn't exactly a perfect game. Sometime a good atmosphere and vibe can make up for shortcomings in game mechanics, and I just love to see all the weird, unexpected stuff NPCs do (or can be forced to do) while free roaming. Makes me hope Bully 2 will be similarly good if it ever comes out.
Vice City gets a lot of love from me because it's the only GTA to make you feel like an actual criminal. The controls are outdated and the game has aged badly, but there's something enjoyable in having a GTA protagonist actually take some initiative and build his own empire instead of doing other people's dirty work. It's also got unquestionably the best soundtrack in the series and the city itself is so much fun to travel around in. It's the only GTA I've ever finished, and the only one I ever felt compelled to start trouble in.

San Andreas is too goddamn big for its own good though. Especially when you get out of the Grove and have to travel across the map to do different missions. That and the plot flies off the rails right around the time Mike Toreno shows up. I gave up entirely when I had to do the shitty plane missions.

I've always wanted to try Bully though. A lot of users on here seem to love the hell out of that game.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino