Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
Vice City gets a lot of love from me because it's the only GTA to make you feel like an actual criminal. The controls are outdated and the game has aged badly, but there's something enjoyable in having a GTA protagonist actually take some initiative and build his own empire instead of doing other people's dirty work. It's also got unquestionably the best soundtrack in the series and the city itself is so much fun to travel around in. It's the only GTA I've ever finished, and the only one I ever felt compelled to start trouble in.

San Andreas is too goddamn big for its own good though. Especially when you get out of the Grove and have to travel across the map to do different missions. That and the plot flies off the rails right around the time Mike Toreno shows up. I gave up entirely when I had to do the shitty plane missions.

I've always wanted to try Bully though. A lot of users on here seem to love the hell out of that game.
I think the humor and vibe of Bully alone is worth the price of admission. While many of the missions are pretty fun, it's also one of those games that lets you have fun your own way. The controls and camera work are a little dated by today's standards, but the various school themed weapons are a breath of fresh air compared to your usual guns, and while the melee combat isn't exactly Platinum Games tier, it gets pretty engaging as you unlock new moves.

Even though the game isn't as modding friendly as some of the later GTA titles, there's still a dedicated modding base that has come up with some really fun stuff (like Insanity edition, the Fight Club mod or custom missions Bullies' Nightmare and The Cure), for which I'm usually in favor of Scholarship Edition on PC\Steam. In case you decide playing the PC port it also doesn't hurt to install a fan-made patch known as silentpatch:
https://github.com/CookiePLMonster/SilentPatchBully/releases

While it was mostly made for Windows 10 users, it also remedies other problems common on earlier versions such as glitches or the game randomly shutting down. Even if you're playing on Win7 ir 8, it's a good idea to have this patch ready in case things aren't working out the way they should.

CamelCursive

kiwifarms.net
I think the original Quake needs to get a redux with a modern engine and overhaul- but that's it. Just polish it up, don't add reloading or any other gimmicks, just make the game easier on the eyes by today's standards, because it's otherwise perfect the way it is.

WinterMoonsLight

J'ai une âme solitaire
kiwifarms.net
The Warlords Battlecry series of RTS games I enjoy more than the standard RTS franchises like Warcraft, StarCraft or the Age of... series.

Sexyphobe

kiwifarms.net
Nier:Automata wasn't a bad game, but it's extremely overrated. If they focused more on developing its characters, and less on trying to fit in philosophical themes, it would have been much better.

Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout was an enjoyable game. Same with several of the games AVGN reviews.

Microsoft games this gen get a bad rap. They don't have the production values of Sony's games, and while since 2016 they haven't had many AAA games, that shouldn't be a reason to downplay the games they do have. State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 in particular were really enjoyable.

Quantum Break can stand with Sony's best. The TV portion didn't add much, but I can appreciate them trying something different. Game play was great, and story was fantastic.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
World of Warcraft, even in its vanilla form, was mediocre and people give it way too much slack for its reliance on 3rd party plugins for basic MMO quality of life features.
While this is true, you have to remember that all WoW had to do (it was 2004) was "not be as shitty as Everquest" which it did, in fact, do.

Just the leveling curve and a lack of a real death penalty were enough to make it the "best MMO to date" at that time.

• Agree
Reactions: Safir

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
Nier:Automata wasn't a bad game, but it's extremely overrated. If they focused more on developing its characters, and less on trying to fit in philosophical themes, it would have been much better.

Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout was an enjoyable game. Same with several of the games AVGN reviews.

Microsoft games this gen get a bad rap. They don't have the production values of Sony's games, and while since 2016 they haven't had many AAA games, that shouldn't be a reason to downplay the games they do have. State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 in particular were really enjoyable.

Quantum Break can stand with Sony's best. The TV portion didn't add much, but I can appreciate them trying something different. Game play was great, and story was fantastic.
Quantum Break was a Remedy game, MS only published it, so MS’s record this gen is pretty much shit for internal development.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: The Last Stand

AsbestosFlaygon

Dount steel, it's my damn property!
kiwifarms.net
They overproduced the 3DS models so they would be future proof and now they're claiming it's too much work to move them over. I see why people are annoyed.
Oh, I don't disagree with it, I just feel the drama's lost focused and turned into a bit of a temper tantrum over Game Freak as a whole. Honestly thought it was clear from my post, but I'll admit looking at it again it's not worded well, should probably have given it a rewrite before posting it.

AVGN isn't really a review show, it's a comedy show, he doesn't do reviews on games purely because they're bad, in particular I know he's mentioned this in particular with Castlevania 2. Also episodes like Seaman, Earthbound, or going a bit older Super Mario Bros 3 all come to mind as episodes where he's doing them purely them for fun, not because they're bad.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Oh, I got a good one.

Resident Evil 4 is one of the most overrated games ever made.

Now don't get me wrong, it's a great game, just not a very good Resident Evil game, it's a horror flavored action game rather than a true horror game, for that reason REmake is the best game to bear the "Resident Evil" name if you ask me.

I was also very disappointed in the story, remember when 4 was first announced it was about Leon infiltrating the headquarters of Umbrella in order to take them down for good, instead the final game wound up completely a side story about parasites and Spanish cults and I was just disappointed, I honestly wish the older "Hook Man" version is what we got instead.

And while it's easy to see why everyone was so blown away by the game when it originally released, as I was, when I replayed it in 2014 I found that a lot of the graphical luster had been lost and along with it a lot of what made the game so intense and exciting in the first place.

So yeah, good game but I do think people overrate it, I actually liked the recent Resident Evil 2 remake better because while it had some modern conventions like over the shoulder camera and precision aiming, it was still very faithful to the old school survival horror mechanics.

WinterMoonsLight

J'ai une âme solitaire
kiwifarms.net
The Toejam and Earl sequel, Panic on Funkotron was a lot more fun than the original roguelike game. I just think it worked better as a quirky platformer.

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
As 3edgy5me as DmC: DMC was and how the game was an amalgamation of shitty Hot Topic trends, I think the soundtrack was legitimately good.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino