Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In all fairness, Salvatore Leone was paranoid as fuck and set up Claude to die after being fed some bullshit by Maria, and Ricardo Diaz basically set up the events of Vice City (the ambush that got Tommy stuck in the first place), so it's not like they stayed allies (ie Dimitri Rascalov and Jimmy Pegorino).
Tommy also shows some level of distaste over having killed Lance Vance but it doesn't last that long. He also more or less abandons Ken Rosenberg after the events of Vice City according to The Introduction.

Fagnacious D

and The Dick of Destiny
kiwifarms.net
Tommy also shows some level of distaste over having killed Lance Vance but it doesn't last that long. He also more or less abandons Ken Rosenberg after the events of Vice City according to The Introduction.
Who would want to stay around that jewish coke fiend anyway?
Kenrosenberg.jpg

• DRINK!
Reactions: Mr. 0

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
For the most part, this. Especially as I got older. When GTA was less about character and more about mayhem in the 3D era, you would be able to get away from doing whatever and doing missions for rewards.

It would feel off putting having Micheal, a married man with two kids, cause a ruckus for no reason. Or Niko, a war torn immigrant with morals, just kill random pederistans. Especially when the worlds themselves took it seriously.
That's why they included Trevor in the game, because you can do literally anything and it doesn't "break character" because he's supposed to be insane.

That's one reason why I think V is better than 4, it's very freeing to play as Trevor and do anything.

MrTickles

Cultured gentleman but fucks like Bunny.
kiwifarms.net
I'm thinking Trevor is the only sane character given the context. It's like he knows it's just a big parody world in a video game and he is acting accordingly. He doesn't exist in an artificial morality bubble within a clown world, Trevor is fully immersed in the GTA5 clown reality and acts accordingly. He's most beloved by the players for this reason. He plays gta5 the way we all do, the way it was meant to be played.

Overcast

Mmmph...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but it is a little bit of a personal gripe.

I'm kind of tired of the visual novel approach to cutscenes in modern JRPG's. You know, where the characters' cutouts are just standing and facing each other or the player and there are loads of dialogue boxes? It just feels so lazy and doesn't really make me feel immersed in the game's world.

Not sure when just having the characters walk around, emote, and interact with the world they're in fell out of favor.

Crichax

Repented Before The Emperor
kiwifarms.net
People give Bethesda shit for releasing bad ports of critically acclaimed games, especially in the seventh generation. But R* should get a fair share of that flask.

Bully: SE on Xbox 360 & PC was horrible at launch. GTA IV was poorly optimized on PC, and was in some ways inferior on the PS3. Midnight Club 3 on the PSP had awful load times and slowdown.
Also, Square Enix is terrible at releasing ports sometimes, and should also be condemned for that reason. The version of Final Fantasy 6 on Steam has the terrible Android interface and resolution without mods and added several language localizations that can't be accessed without a hex editor, including Japanese. So, in essence, SE screwed over their entire Japanese and Korean fanbases by hiding those languages. And the Steam version of Final Fantasy 12 needs a mod to play at an uncapped framerate. Why do modders make better ports than SE's own employees?

• Informative
Reactions: The Last Stand

BR55

kiwifarms.net
This probably isn't very unpopular but...
I am so fucking sick of half assed pseudo RPG mechanics being forced into FPS games.
Like the Destiny style shit where killing high levels enemies involves holding down the trigger for twenty minutes is so mind numbing.
What ever happened to killing enemies with skill instead of "lol this dude has a million hp and you're only level 17 hope you've got an hour to spare!".
Things like basic bitch crafting and neutered skill trees that boil down to meaningless number crunching are no substitute for actual depth.
Fuck kiddie pool depth "open" worlds too.

Skyclaw

British Wanker
kiwifarms.net
This isn't an unpopular opinion i'm sure but GameFAQ's really needs some quality control. I'm looking at the Fire Emblem: Three Houses board while i wait for the release and fuck me every other topic is a topic about what character you want to fuck...when did this shit happen to Fire Emblem.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This probably isn't very unpopular but...
I am so fucking sick of half assed pseudo RPG mechanics being forced into FPS games.
Like the Destiny style shit where killing high levels enemies involves holding down the trigger for twenty minutes is so mind numbing.
What ever happened to killing enemies with skill instead of "lol this dude has a million hp and you're only level 17 hope you've got an hour to spare!".
Things like basic bitch crafting and neutered skill trees that boil down to meaningless number crunching are no substitute for actual depth.
Fuck kiddie pool depth "open" worlds too.
It's done deliberately to push microtransactions to "skip the grind". Ubisoft does this for instance strictly for this reason and puts it into all of their titles intentionally. To the point where when people exploited the Create a Quest feature in Assassins Creed Odyssey to just give their character free XP they were banned from doing this.

It's a classic marketing tactic of "create a problem and then sell the solution". It's influenced by games like Farmville and other phone games. Companies were extremely jealous of how a really simple flash game made so much money on just giving you a repetitive task and letting you pay to skip it.

Last edited:

Cod of War

kiwifarms.net
This isn't an unpopular opinion i'm sure but GameFAQ's really needs some quality control. I'm looking at the Fire Emblem: Three Houses board while i wait for the release and fuck me every other topic is a topic about what character you want to fuck...when did this shit happen to Fire Emblem.
It's all of GameFAQs, they're /v/-lite now.

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A lot of indie games get much higher ratings than they deserve purely because they're indie games. Biggest example of this I can think of is Gnomoria.
Horrible sound track that was basically 90s' video game music on LSD
Ugly textures
Maps look like a cluttered mess
Buggy as fuck
Bland UI
Shitty camera controls
Painfully slow load times
Even people who like it admit you have to drop about 100 hours into it, to even get to an "enjoyable" state

P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
GameFAQS has been shit since the early 2000s. I'm enough of an oldfag to remember the Sashanan scandal, and everyone stanning him while mods would permaban you for saying anything negative about him.

Reactions: 1 person
J

JM 590

kiwifarms.net
GameFAQS has been shit since the early 2000s. I'm enough of an oldfag to remember the Sashanan scandal, and everyone stanning him while mods would permaban you for saying anything negative about him.
Oh, I remember that too.

GameFAQs is just one of those places that's almost deserving of a thread here, but I'd think it would just turn out to be a blander version of the Reddit General thread. The autism on display can be unbelievable, though. Not just like, with idiots throwing fits, but the weird, slightly creepy threads all over the place.

Most of the social boards have threads like that, only usually with celebrities or whatever, along with the occasional stories about random sexcapades straight out of stdh.txt. Then there's the whole nonsense with secret boards, where users will find a really, really obscure game with a dead board, claim it as their own, and start posting on it... by themselves. And occasionally, said dead boards will be found by secret board hunters, who will occasionally keep posting in a thread, once every couple of weeks, for over a decade.

Seriously. Here's how that works: GameFAQs' forums automatically lock threads either when the thread hits 500 posts, or after not getting a new post for roughly around two weeks. So, massive autists have made it a mission to find threads and post in them once every couple of weeks to stave off the auto-lock. If you post in a thread once every two weeks, and you're the only poster, you can theoretically get it to last over nineteen years.

So on GameFAQs, there are some autists here and there, still posting in threads made during the fucking George W. Bush administration, keeping them alive because that's what they do with their lives. There really have been some threads to soar past the ten year mark. It's not like, a lolcow-style situation, the secret board crew seem genuinely chill and aren't the same ones being creepy about celebrities and video game characters, it's just TREMENDOUSLY autistic. Like, damn, staying that dedicated to keeping a thread alive for a major chunk of your entire life takes some real dedication, and these guys have it in spades.

Sexyphobe

kiwifarms.net
Borderlands 1 is much better than 2, and the remaster only proves that more. Weapon balance especially, where if you found a really good weapon, it could carry you 15+ levels and still be useful, while in 2 most become useless after like 2 or 3. Enemy balancing is also better, where in 2 they tear through you like your shields/health is made of cheese. Bad balancing to promote coop.

Don't even get me started on the humor/story. While 1 barely had a story, it had some interesting side-stuff and characters. Take it or leave it kind of thing. 2 is way too in your face about how WACKY and MEMEY it is (Tiny Tina, UGHH). Also it's so over the top I'm never sure when it's trying to be serious, or some kind of satire (Bloodwing death, Roland's death and telling the people in Sanctuary). Handsome Jack at least is fine halfway, when he's less cocky and more pissed.

I don't hate 2, I really enjoyed it. I just think it's not as good as 1.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
The state of Western RPGs seems pretty dire. It seems to be the only thing keeping it afloat is DOS 2, Witcher, and the eventual Cyberpunk. There are way more promising JRPGs coming out than there are WRPGs. Hell all the classic JRPG developers are still around while their western counterparts like Blizzard have degraded into a shadow of their former self.

Basically I get depressed every time I get finished watching a Sseth video.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person

AsbestosFlaygon

It's never over when I'm here
kiwifarms.net
A lot of indie games get much higher ratings than they deserve purely because they're indie games.
I kind of feel this way about mods, not that mods get rated often or anything, but it feels like when you hear "This mod's great!" most of the time they're actually saying "This mod's great by mod standards." Personally I watch a good number videos on mods, but I've never felt compelled to play any of them. My general problems with mods are that they either do too little to change the game, or is too similar to the base game to warrant installing it. Or it changes too much, either by changing the feel of a game too much, or by trying to do shit that the game wasn't designed for, which tends to end up very buggy, and frankly just make me think "Why wouldn't you just play a game where you can do this shit without the jank?"

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I kind of feel this way about mods, not that mods get rated often or anything, but it feels like when you hear "This mod's great!" most of the time they're actually saying "This mod's great by mod standards." Personally I watch a good number videos on mods, but I've never felt compelled to play any of them. My general problems with mods are that they either do too little to change the game, or is too similar to the base game to warrant installing it. Or it changes too much, either by changing the feel of a game too much, or by trying to do shit that the game wasn't designed for, which tends to end up very buggy, and frankly just make me think "Why wouldn't you just play a game where you can do this shit without the jank?"
Some of them can outright break the game, and still get highly rated. I know for Kenshi, there's a few mods on the Nexus which can cause every NPC in the game to get cloned.

• Informative
Reactions: AsbestosFlaygon

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
Some mods are damn impressive though. Off the top of my head, Doom's got some incredible mods such as Pirate Doom and Simon's Destiny, and that's not even getting into Brutal Doom. Doom's interesting though since people can mod the game into damn near anything.

Where mods start to lose me though is when they don't fit with the intended experience, like you can very clearly tell something is there that is not meant to. The Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines fix has some unfortunate moments, such as the inclusion of some cop at the beginning whose voice actor is clearly out of place, both in performance and mic quality. It sucks since the fix is otherwise excellent.

Medafag

Unironic degenerate
kiwifarms.net
A lot of indie games get much higher ratings than they deserve purely because they're indie games
I truly hate how people often excuse how shitty a particular indie game is solely... because it's an Indie game

A RPG so lacking of gameplay to the point is little more than a walking simulator?

> Well, it was made by one person! who cares if it doesn't have gameplay?

Horror game where there is nothing but a hallway full of jumpscares, and it has at best 20 minutes worth of gameplay?

> That's how horror games are made today! who wants to manage an inventory or solve puzzles on a videogame?

Some open world game is full of glitches to the point is nearly unplayable?

> The developers are a small team without a big budget! stop being entitled!

Many people dislike AAA games because of many shitty things like day one DLC, microtransactions, lootboxes, bad PC ports etc. while there is a lot of truth in that, i kinda dislike the Indie scene more, becase many games, no matter how poorly made or lacking of content are, they usually get away with it, because of some non-existent underdog status of being "just an Indie game"

Last edited:

ZehnBoat

Benny Harvey RIP
kiwifarms.net
I truly hate how people often excuse how shitty a particular indie game is solely... because it's an Indie game
imo, if the game is free i'll give it leeway
fine whatever, it was a silly little game, we had fun, there were glitches whatever
but if i payed for it, it better be good
if you want my money this game better have something for it