Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

The Last Stand

The Dilettante
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
People give Bethesda shit for releasing bad ports of critically acclaimed games, especially in the seventh generation. But R* should get a fair share of that flask.

Bully: SE on Xbox 360 & PC was horrible at launch. GTA IV was poorly optimized on PC, and was in some ways inferior on the PS3. Midnight Club 3 on the PSP had awful load times and slowdown.

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
I played Doom 2016 for the first time yesterday. Its pretty meh to me. Great gameplay, but it feels the same. Also I feel the enemies don't have a good design. I really can't tell them apart during game play. I think Doom 93 got that perfect.
How far did you get exactly? I'll admit the first few levels are uneventful, but by the time the game throws in the mancubus then it gets really crazy. Plus the pinkies are a lot tougher to deal with since they now require you to shoot their backs.

It also depends on difficulty. I played on Nightmare again recently and it really required you to pay attention to what enemies are around you.

• Agree
Reactions: The Last Stand

tehpope

privacytools.io | prism-break.org
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How far did you get exactly? I'll admit the first few levels are uneventful, but by the time the game throws in the mancubus then it gets really crazy. Plus the pinkies are a lot tougher to deal with since they now require you to shoot their backs.

It also depends on difficulty. I played on Nightmare again recently and it really required you to pay attention to what enemies are around you.
Not that far. I got the Heavy Assault Rifle. That's about it.

Jet Fuel Johnny

Full Metal Sperg
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Stop telling me it's an RPG when I have only the following choices:

Do what the NPC says
Stop playing the game

Or when my dialogue consists of
>Manic Pixie Sarcasm Faggot
>Moral Oral on Truth Serum
>Boring Emo Fag
>Narcissistic Dick

Stop acting like your plot is too fucking amazing for me to understand. Most of the time your plot is so hilariously exceptional that I'm surprised you could have pitched it to someone without your baby soft skull caving in. News flash, champ, there's a limited amount of stories and it's how you put it together that matters. (FO4, I'm fucking looking at you)

You're not an RPG, you're a fucking Choose Your Own Faggoty Adventure with pretty pretty pictures.

STOP WITH THE FUCKING BROWN SHIT! Fucking Far Cry: New Dawn is so goddamn gorgeous I love playing in it. FO76 is colorful and fucking amazing aside from the ruined coal mine area, and even then it fucking works because man-made things POP in the terrain. Go outside, look at some fucking pictures, SOMETHING, but stop giving me shit brown with shit mud landscapes. Give me bright fucking outfits, settlements that look like the people have pride in something besides cock sucking ability and how much HRT they slammed into their ever shrinking balls, give me fun places to explore.

But now, with the REAL big unpopular opinion...

Stop with the fucking SUPAH MEGA GUN ARMS RACE.

In everything. Stop replacing a halfway decent combat AI with bullet sponges. Stop relying on the GOD KILLAH 9000 SUX to be the one true weapon to drop your bad guys halfway through. I fucking hate it. In Borderlands it was fine because Borderlands is a fucking Skinner Box Weapon Slot Machine Game the Memelord Edition.

Make some fucking investments on AI for fuck's sake you soy chewing faggots.

Better yet, go do a fucking tour of Iraq and see how weaponry actually works. Maybe you'll find your goddamn balls too while you're there.

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
Stop telling me it's an RPG when I have only the following choices:

Do what the NPC says
Stop playing the game

Or when my dialogue consists of
>Manic Pixie Sarcasm Faggot
>Moral Oral on Truth Serum
>Boring Emo Fag
>Narcissistic Dick
This is legit why the original Fallout is one of my favorite RPGs because the game gives you an insane amount of personal freedom to handle most of the situations in the game. Hell you can even murder most of the NPCs if you really want to, including the guy who sent you on the main quest to begin with (even if it's at the very end of the game).

Last edited:

The Last Stand

The Dilettante
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't like playing open world games with other people. Saints Row and Watch Dogs 2 for example. They have a drop-in, drop-out coop mode to explore the world, do missions with others, I usually turn that off. I want to enjoy the story by myself.

If the game is tailored for co-op in mind, and single player last, that's horrible game design.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
It would feel off putting having Micheal, a married man with two kids, cause a ruckus for no reason.
In this instance it's because the game's tone is comedic
Or Niko, a war torn immigrant with morals, just kill random pederistans.
Niko isn't as moral as you describe. There's several choice lines throughout that indicate he has done many extremely evil things during the war.
In this mission Niko describes an incident where there's a wall of murdered children. But the way he says it is suspect.
"Don't you worry about your soul?"
"the creature that could do this, doesn't have a soul"
The way she says "your soul" and he describes himself as "the creature" indicates this event was so traumatic for him that he has distanced it from his personal identity.

Similarly Niko describes wanting to come to Liberty City and avoid getting in trouble but due to the way he acts, trouble finds him. Like after you murder Dardan in one of the early missions, one of the possible lines Niko can say is "ARGH I promised myself I wouldn't kill people here". It indicates that while he wants to avoid killing people and committing crimes, he finds himself doing it anyway because that is all he understands and all he knows. He has no other skills and he's good at it. It's why I think Rockstar made both endings to the game effectively "bad endings" because it shows where Niko's life leads him.
Honestly even CJ was like this. He's not nearly as violent as your average GTA protagonist; he kills people in the story yes, but it's not like he's the kind of person who would go out and start violently murdering pedestrians with a rocket launcher.
CJ is a gangster who, while he doesn't deliberately go out and start murdering people, isn't above killing someone when asked or committing petty crimes like robbery. For instance when OG Loc asks CJ to take care of Madd Dogg's lawyer CJ barely even reacts to the proposition, and when he does kill him he does it in a gruesome way by drowning him and his innocent girlfriend.

The main distinction though that contrasts CJ with Claude and Tommy is that CJ doesn't go out of his way to betray his allies. Like he mourns both Ryder and Big Smoke's deaths due to his personal history with them. And I think this was very natural due to how much the first 1/4th of the game setup CJ's relationships with Big Smoke and Ryder. By contrast both Claude and Tommy don't hesitate to murder their former allies (Salvatore Leone/Ricardo Diaz respectively). I have a feeling Rockstar did this deliberately to distance the game from the prior two in terms of tone since they'd risk having CJ come across as less justified in his revenge if he gleefully celebrated it.

Last edited:
  • Feels
Reactions: Vault Boy

Mr. 0

god im not good at computer how did this get here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The main distinction though that contrasts CJ with Claude and Tommy is that CJ doesn't go out of his way to betray his allies. Like he mourns both Ryder and Big Smoke's deaths due to his personal history with them. And I think this was very natural due to how much the first 1/4th of the game setup CJ's relationships with Big Smoke and Ryder. By contrast both Tommy and Claude don't hesitate to murder their former allies (Salvatore Leone/Ricardo Diaz respectively). I have a feeling Rockstar did this deliberately to distance the game from the prior two in terms of tone since they'd risk having CJ come across as less justified in his revenge if he gleefully celebrated it.
In all fairness, Salvatore Leone was paranoid as fuck and set up Claude to die after being fed some bullshit by Maria, and Ricardo Diaz basically set up the events of Vice City (the ambush that got Tommy stuck in the first place), so it's not like they stayed allies (ie Dimitri Rascalov and Jimmy Pegorino).

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
In all fairness, Salvatore Leone was paranoid as fuck and set up Claude to die after being fed some bullshit by Maria, and Ricardo Diaz basically set up the events of Vice City (the ambush that got Tommy stuck in the first place), so it's not like they stayed allies (ie Dimitri Rascalov and Jimmy Pegorino).
Tommy also shows some level of distaste over having killed Lance Vance but it doesn't last that long. He also more or less abandons Ken Rosenberg after the events of Vice City according to The Introduction.

Fagnacious D

and The Dick of Destiny
kiwifarms.net
Tommy also shows some level of distaste over having killed Lance Vance but it doesn't last that long. He also more or less abandons Ken Rosenberg after the events of Vice City according to The Introduction.
Who would want to stay around that jewish coke fiend anyway?
Kenrosenberg.jpg

• DRINK!
Reactions: Mr. 0

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
For the most part, this. Especially as I got older. When GTA was less about character and more about mayhem in the 3D era, you would be able to get away from doing whatever and doing missions for rewards.

It would feel off putting having Micheal, a married man with two kids, cause a ruckus for no reason. Or Niko, a war torn immigrant with morals, just kill random pederistans. Especially when the worlds themselves took it seriously.
That's why they included Trevor in the game, because you can do literally anything and it doesn't "break character" because he's supposed to be insane.

That's one reason why I think V is better than 4, it's very freeing to play as Trevor and do anything.

MrTickles

Ducking Fegenerate
kiwifarms.net
I'm thinking Trevor is the only sane character given the context. It's like he knows it's just a big parody world in a video game and he is acting accordingly. He doesn't exist in an artificial morality bubble within a clown world, Trevor is fully immersed in the GTA5 clown reality and acts accordingly. He's most beloved by the players for this reason. He plays gta5 the way we all do, the way it was meant to be played.

scorptatious

Happiness Bunny
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but it is a little bit of a personal gripe.

I'm kind of tired of the visual novel approach to cutscenes in modern JRPG's. You know, where the characters' cutouts are just standing and facing each other or the player and there are loads of dialogue boxes? It just feels so lazy and doesn't really make me feel immersed in the game's world.

Not sure when just having the characters walk around, emote, and interact with the world they're in fell out of favor.

Crichax

The Chippo Man
kiwifarms.net
People give Bethesda shit for releasing bad ports of critically acclaimed games, especially in the seventh generation. But R* should get a fair share of that flask.

Bully: SE on Xbox 360 & PC was horrible at launch. GTA IV was poorly optimized on PC, and was in some ways inferior on the PS3. Midnight Club 3 on the PSP had awful load times and slowdown.
Also, Square Enix is terrible at releasing ports sometimes, and should also be condemned for that reason. The version of Final Fantasy 6 on Steam has the terrible Android interface and resolution without mods and added several language localizations that can't be accessed without a hex editor, including Japanese. So, in essence, SE screwed over their entire Japanese and Korean fanbases by hiding those languages. And the Steam version of Final Fantasy 12 needs a mod to play at an uncapped framerate. Why do modders make better ports than SE's own employees?

• Informative
Reactions: The Last Stand

BR55

kiwifarms.net
This probably isn't very unpopular but...
I am so fucking sick of half assed pseudo RPG mechanics being forced into FPS games.
Like the Destiny style shit where killing high levels enemies involves holding down the trigger for twenty minutes is so mind numbing.
What ever happened to killing enemies with skill instead of "lol this dude has a million hp and you're only level 17 hope you've got an hour to spare!".
Things like basic bitch crafting and neutered skill trees that boil down to meaningless number crunching are no substitute for actual depth.
Fuck kiddie pool depth "open" worlds too.

Skyclaw

British Wanker
kiwifarms.net
This isn't an unpopular opinion i'm sure but GameFAQ's really needs some quality control. I'm looking at the Fire Emblem: Three Houses board while i wait for the release and fuck me every other topic is a topic about what character you want to fuck...when did this shit happen to Fire Emblem.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
This probably isn't very unpopular but...
I am so fucking sick of half assed pseudo RPG mechanics being forced into FPS games.
Like the Destiny style shit where killing high levels enemies involves holding down the trigger for twenty minutes is so mind numbing.
What ever happened to killing enemies with skill instead of "lol this dude has a million hp and you're only level 17 hope you've got an hour to spare!".
Things like basic bitch crafting and neutered skill trees that boil down to meaningless number crunching are no substitute for actual depth.
Fuck kiddie pool depth "open" worlds too.
It's done deliberately to push microtransactions to "skip the grind". Ubisoft does this for instance strictly for this reason and puts it into all of their titles intentionally. To the point where when people exploited the Create a Quest feature in Assassins Creed Odyssey to just give their character free XP they were banned from doing this.

It's a classic marketing tactic of "create a problem and then sell the solution". It's influenced by games like Farmville and other phone games. Companies were extremely jealous of how a really simple flash game made so much money on just giving you a repetitive task and letting you pay to skip it.

Last edited:

Cod of War

kiwifarms.net
This isn't an unpopular opinion i'm sure but GameFAQ's really needs some quality control. I'm looking at the Fire Emblem: Three Houses board while i wait for the release and fuck me every other topic is a topic about what character you want to fuck...when did this shit happen to Fire Emblem.
It's all of GameFAQs, they're /v/-lite now.

mr.moon1488

kiwifarms.net
A lot of indie games get much higher ratings than they deserve purely because they're indie games. Biggest example of this I can think of is Gnomoria.
Horrible sound track that was basically 90s' video game music on LSD
Ugly textures
Maps look like a cluttered mess
Buggy as fuck
Bland UI
Shitty camera controls
Painfully slow load times
Even people who like it admit you have to drop about 100 hours into it, to even get to an "enjoyable" state

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino