Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
The first parts of Silent Hill 2 are a boring slog. It takes like 10 minutes of jogging through scenery to get to the town itself where you spend even more time jogging some pretty long distances, made worse by the fact that the content is very spread out. The apartment section is mediocre too. The game only starts getting good when you reach the hospital and gets better and better from there (Toluca Prison is my personal favorite part). I feel like if it wasn't for the immense praise heaped on this game over the years, most new players would drop it before reaching the hospital, missing out on what is otherwise a great game.

Also I find it a little hard to call it a "survival horror" game when it showers you with ammo and health drinks, even on hard mode. Nighttime Silent Hill in particular has tons of supplies if you know where to look. You never really need to worry about counting your bullets or making your shots count at all.

On top of that, the non-boss enemies are total pushovers. Once you get over the scary factor, all you have to do is stand a short distance away (none can throw projectiles and all but one move pretty slowly) and shoot them 3 to 5 times with your handgun until they drop to the ground, then run up and kick them so they don't get up again. I think only the doormen and groups of nurses in cramped spaces pose an actual threat. Also there's very little variety, the lying figure for example appears in literally every area of the game and is the most abundant enemy in a lot of them too.
The original Silent Hill games aren’t survival horror at all, though. That’s why the player character is awkward in combat and the greater emphasis is on exploration and figuring out the mystery. If you play them expecting a pace or combat on par with the original Resident Evil games, you probably won’t like them.

• Agree
Reactions: Leo Bonhart

Massively Strong Greed

Thanks for the money, dummy!
kiwifarms.net
Super Mario World is one of the worst 2d Mario games and a huge step back from the timeless masterpiece that is Super Mario Bros 3. It has terrible physics and control; Mario stops on a dime in midair like it's Mega Man. Repetitive level designs that go on way too long, removed the cool suit powerups from SMB3, Yoshi and infinite flight with the cape removes nearly all challenge from most stages, lots of extremely slow auto scroll levels that are way too fucking long, terrible boss fights. It's a shitty Mario game and it burns me up that so many consider it one of the best ones. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk, stay tuned for when I decide to rant about how Super Castlevania IV is a piece of dogshit.
You’ve done a great job of articulating why I prefer Yoshi’s Island to Super Mario World, though I don’t dislike World. Give the physics some credit, I feel that Mario has the perfect amount of floatiness to his jump in World.

Reactions: Vic Viper T301

AsbestosFlaygon

Crop your god forsaken avatar, or I'll rape you.
kiwifarms.net
Super Mario World is one of the worst 2d Mario games and a huge step back from the timeless masterpiece that is Super Mario Bros 3. It has terrible physics and control; Mario stops on a dime in midair like it's Mega Man.
Controlling like one of the best platformers ever made, truly no one should ever commit such a sin...
On a more serious note I can certainly understand why you prefer the heavy controls of SMB3, but I'd argue that neither style's better, just different.
Repetitive level designs that go on way too long,
Honestly they never felt long to me, longer than 3 certainly, but I never felt any of them really overstayed their welcome.
removed the cool suit powerups from SMB3,
Honestly I really don't feel they're much of a loss, the Hammer and Tanooki Suit's are just fancy versions of the Fire Flower and Raccoon Leaf respectively. The Frog Suit's way too situational for my liking, and personally I've always preferred the classic style swimming over any of the power ups. Granted the concept of having rare and better versions of power ups hidden in levels to encourage exploration isn't a bad idea at all, I just don't really care for any of them, and I feel they're a bit too rare.
Yoshi and infinite flight with the cape removes nearly all challenge from most stages,
Sure, if you know what you're doing the Cape's easily the most overpowered general power up in a Mario game. But I don't see how the Raccoon/Tanooki's much better in this respect, as long as you can land for a short while the Raccoon can be abused about as much as the cape. I'd also argue that Raccoon Leaf is generally easier to control than the cape, you just button mash to use the raccoon, with the cap it's timing based, you can't just mindlessly mash left if you're going to fly.
lots of extremely slow auto scroll levels that are way too fucking long,
I don't really remember there being that many, but I can agree that they're a bit too slow, them doing some speed certainly wouldn't hurt anyone. But I'm also someone that doesn't necessarily get the autistic hatred for auto scrollers, or for that matter other controversial level types like snow and water level, I think they're nice and logical ways to change up gameplay.
terrible boss fights.
Are boss fights on the whole really a strong suit for any Mario game? Certainly singular bosses can stand out, for me the final bosses for 3 & World are perfect examples, but outside of that can't really thing of any others that stand out, at least in those two games in particular.
It's a shitty Mario game and it burns me up that so many consider it one of the best ones.
Eh, I'd say it's easily better than SMB1, Lost Levels, and the Game Boy installments, and while the NSMB series games I'd say are better to play, 3 & World have far more interesting levels, and the graphics and music's far more charming, which I feel makes them better overall.

Last edited:

Massively Strong Greed

Thanks for the money, dummy!
kiwifarms.net
Well first of all I consider the New Super Mario Bros series to be 2d because they're on a 2d plane despite the 3d graphics, just to get that out of the way. The first New Super Mario Bros game isn't great, maybe on par with World IMHO, but they got much better after that. I think NSMB Wii is one of the best in the series, NSMB U is great, NSMB 2 is OK, level design isn't as good but at least the coin gimmick is fun, I had a lot of fun with the coin rush mode finding the best ways to maximize scores. Hate the music and graphics in that series of games but the level designs are pretty great overall. I really hope now that we've gotten all this Mario Maker crap out of the way Nintendo decides to reinvent the 2d series with a better art and music style.

As far as rom hacking goes, I've never really dug into it much, always preferred to stick to official releases. If there are any really good Mario World hacks you'd like to recommend I'm all ears but I think I'll still be sour on them in the end because I hate the SMW physics.
Notte Luminosa is a solid hack, creator’s a lolcow who faked having cancer though.

Reactions: Vic Viper T301

AsbestosFlaygon

Crop your god forsaken avatar, or I'll rape you.
kiwifarms.net
Notte Luminosa is a solid hack, creator’s a lolcow who faked having cancer though.
Is the creator really much of a lolcow? I haven't ever heard of that guy doing anything else after apologizing for the whole faking cancer thing. Granted I can't say I ever actively kept tabs on him, but i thought he was just some immature kid that wanted attention from ProtonJon, nothing more. Outside of that I've never heard of anything else from him, so I don't think calling him a generator of lols is really accurate.

As for Notte Luminosa I'm not sure if it's that noteworthy of hack when insulating it from the cancer story, from what I remember (which admittedly my memories of it are probably very faulty at this point) it's basically just basic SMW gameplay with custom sprites. Which granted if you're judging it off of all the older ROM hack that the likes of ProtonJon played back in the day it's a good step up. But at that point the scene had matured a whole lot, and on the whole things like custom sprites and models are kind of standard for any major hacking community, hell the last hack Jon played, Mario TKO was mostly custom sprites I'm pretty certain. I feel something like Call of Cthulhu would be a far better ROM hack to recommend, personally not something I'd ever play but it's at least very different from vanilla Mario World.

Last edited:

Bender

I bend stuff, usually the truth.
kiwifarms.net
I ain't reading through nearly 250 pages to check my unpopular opinion hasn't been given, so here's mine:

Ocarina of Time is only a good game if you grew up with it and it's aged like a fine vintage turd. I tried playing the GameCube release when a buddy lent me a GameCube (the controller is horrible as well, except for a handful of games) and the Zelda collection thing and I fucked hated it. I got to the Shadow Temple or whatever it is where you get the boots that let you run on air, so I gave it a fair go, but the camera controls were so god damn clunky, bordering on non-existent, that it just made every session I spent with it something I'd look forwards to ending rather than starting.

Wind Waker HD on the Wii U was vastly superior in every way, although I miss the hilariously fucking massive noses that adult Link and Ganon had in OoT.

The Sonic games are boring and shitty. (couldn't care less how fast Sonic could run Mario World was still miles better)
The major problem I have with Sonic games is they were all about going as fast as possible, but you couldn't see any obstacles that were coming up; unless you played it a ton and memorised the levels you were pretty much guaranteed to run into a robot fish, have a monkey bean you with a coconut or fall off the bottom of the fucking Chemical Plant level and instantly die.

totse

my uncle gave me herpes
kiwifarms.net
I read through the entire thread while compiling my response and then my draft disappeared. Here's the parts I can remember, which probably makes them the only important parts:

Sonic Spinball was the best Sonic game.

The best part of the Sonic games was the music. The only other good part was the 3D bonus/chaos emerald levels in Sonic 3.

Soul Calibur is more fun than Mortal Kombat, Tekken, and Street Fighter.

Burnout (3) is the best racing game. Realistic driving games are boring.

The Operative: No One Lives Forever is the best game of all time.

Bender

kiwifarms.net

Burnout (3) is the best racing game. Realistic driving games are boring.
Agreed regarding SC, the perfect guard you can throw out with 4/6+G is pretty nice, and some characters like Kilik (47896, IIRC, but it's been years since I've played) have superblocks that can combo into moves as well.

Burnout's crash mode is the best thing that has ever happened to the gaming industry.

The Operative: No One Lives Forever is the best game of all time.
Apparently it's not for sale anywhere anymore, would you say this version is worth getting? I'd like to try it.

ZehnBoat

!sibcpimt
kiwifarms.net
The major problem I have with Sonic games is they were all about going as fast as possible, but you couldn't see any obstacles that were coming up; unless you played it a ton and memorised the levels you were pretty much guaranteed to run into a robot fish, have a monkey bean you with a coconut or fall off the bottom of the fucking Chemical Plant level and instantly die.
the old sonic games would be so much better if sonic was off to the side of the screen, and was zoomed out a bit

i've had more fun with SC games than any other fighting game

totse

my uncle gave me herpes
kiwifarms.net
Apparently it's not for sale anywhere anymore, would you say this version is worth getting? I'd like to try it.
Probably, looks like it's the same game that I torrented and applied those patches to so it should be the same experience. That particular opinion isn't so unpopular among those who have played it, it's just that I haven't met many who have.

Reactions: Bender

Sexyphobe

kiwifarms.net
I miss a lot of the old cartoon video games. Most were rubbish sure, but the novelty of playing what's pretty much a new episode of Ed Edd n Eddy or Kids Next Door was nice.

Plus some were really enjoyable like the Mis-Ed-Ventures (at least the GBA version), that Mario Party Rugrats game, Fairly Odd Parents Breakin Da Rules, several of the Spongebob ones, and the Billy and Mandy Smash Bros clone for the Wii.

ExceptionallyExceptional

Autism Incarnate
kiwifarms.net
I did not care for Conker's Bad Fur Day. I found the humor mostly unfunny, tryhard shit you'd get from cringe YouTubers, the camera was absolute shit, the shooter portions in the latter parts of the game were utter crap owing largely to how fucking borked the controls were. I thought it was a shit game and just didn't get why everybody fawned over it like it was the holy grail of gaming.
Fuck, half my friends who considered it their favorite game at the time and praised it endlessly (and obnoxiously quoted the jokes ad infinum) don't even remember it now.

Bender

kiwifarms.net
Probably, looks like it's the same game that I torrented and applied those patches to so it should be the same experience. That particular opinion isn't so unpopular among those who have played it, it's just that I haven't met many who have.
Well, I'm gonna download it and hope it doesn't virus the shit out my system, wish me luck!

Mr. 0

god im not good at computer how did this get here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, I'm gonna download it and hope it doesn't virus the shit out my system, wish me luck!
why would you download it to your system and not your computer...?

anyways, revolution 60 was better than code lyoko

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wind Waker HD on the Wii U was vastly superior in every way, although I miss the hilariously fucking massive noses that adult Link and Ganon had in OoT.
Well, play the 3D ports of the game where they fix a lot of the bullshit, then. You can't really compare a re-release to the original release of a game, base Wind Waker had a fair number of issues too. Personally I prefer Twilight Princess over both so I'm on the particularly unpopular side of the fence.

Reactions: Vault Boy

Bender

kiwifarms.net
Well, play the 3D ports of the game where they fix a lot of the bullshit, then. You can't really compare a re-release to the original release of a game, base Wind Waker had a fair number of issues too. Personally I prefer Twilight Princess over both so I'm on the particularly unpopular side of the fence.
I haven't played the original Wind Waker, so anything I say here may be wrong:
Well, the original Wind Waker still let the player control the camera with the C-stick, but I agree that changing the wind direction was a lot more annoying in the original version since you had to input the song and listen to it get played every time instead of what the HD version does which only plays a song the first time you input it per session.

Edit: I just reminded myself of another unpopular opinion: Okami is the best Zelda game.

Mad Asshatter

My other name was Maggot
kiwifarms.net
I didn't like Ocarina of Time. I played it on the 3DS, and even then I thought it was 'Meh.' Biggest reason was that until Breath of the Wild, it's tropes and thematics had pretty much dominated almost the entire 3D stretch of games ever since it came out. Games would strongly hint they were referring to that game, Heroes would be related to him, gameplay and dungeons would feel too similar, etc. So by the time you got around to actually playing Ocarina itself, you had already in a sense played that game in different variations a few times over. And it definitely wasn't the graphics, because I didn't like most of Twilight Princess, and playing Zelda 1 for the first time decades after it came out made me feel wistful and nostalgic, so it wasn't for lack of playing it in childhood. It's just mainly a game that people who first played it as wee lil' tykes still have throbbing nostalgia boners for.

And God, do I hate the fucking Timeline. It tried to essentially center the whole damn franchise around the events of Ocarina long after the shine had worn off of it, setting the quintessential original games that established the franchise into the Downfall Timeline, where they 'only' happen if the Hero of Time died.

That said, at least the devs had admitted they really needed to move on from Ocarina, and they now all but ignore the Timeline, so maybe these two things are finally rectified for good in Zelda.

-Edited for clarity and length.

Last edited:

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino