Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Dom Cruise

too... many... books...
kiwifarms.net
I don't think Ocarina of Time, gameplay-wise, is really all that influential. It had a full 3D environment and sometimes you could ride a horse if you wanted, but those are the two biggest things. A Link to the Past is much more influential to the entire franchise in regards to overall gameplay. Even the plot points about the sages and Ganon as a person originated in Link to the Past.
Semi-agree and semi-disagree.

A Link to the Past is indeed what set the standard of what we think of as a "Zelda" game, but Ocarina of Time is what set the standard for the longest time of what a 3D Zelda is.

Ocarina of Time was pretty clearly a huge influence on the series after that point until Breath of The Wild totally shook things up again.

Raging Capybara

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think Borderlands 3 jokes are unfunny, I don't think this game has any jokes at all.

Everything resolves around shit. In one mission you even need to explode a wall of shit! If your definition of humor is literal shit, that's your problem. I have different standards.

In Borderlands 2 we at least got actual jokes. They could be stupid or dumb, but at least those were genuine real jokes. Timing, punchline... you know, basic stuff a joke needs to have.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I honestly feel more people seem to bash on OOT than praise it nowadays. Or at least there are more people vocal about it.

Really though I do think the game’s a victim of hype backlash. People who genuinely love the game are so enthusiastic about it that the people who decide to play it based on what they hear will have certain expectations.

Odds are, the game’s not going to live up to everyone’s expectations. Which will lead to disappointment, arguing among those over whether or not they like the game, Arin Hanson’s terrible sequelitus video, ect.

I think OOT’s a fine game. But I’m cool with people who aren’t into it.

The Shadow

Talk to the Hand
kiwifarms.net
I honestly feel more people seem to bash on OOT than praise it nowadays. Or at least there are more people vocal about it.

Really though I do think the game’s a victim of hype backlash. People who genuinely love the game are so enthusiastic about it that the people who decide to play it based on what they hear will have certain expectations.

Odds are, the game’s not going to live up to everyone’s expectations. Which will lead to disappointment, arguing among those over whether or not they like the game, Arin Hanson’s terrible sequelitus video, ect.

It's a case of hype plus time making what was revolutionary seem dated. Look at Tomb Raider, the original Resident Evil, FF7 on the Playstation. All were pretty impressive in their time technically and had advancements in gameplay...that are really fucking hard to see for someone that's grown up with their modern day counterparts. If you weren't there, you really might not get it.

TheImportantFart

Fartscape
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I found Mario Odyssey kind of underwhelming. I still had a lot of fun with it, and I loved some of the worlds and the capture mechanic, but it felt like it was over far too quickly and there weren’t enough worlds. I know the meat of the game is exploring and collecting the shit ton of moons, but I explored the levels as much as I could and still felt like there wasn’t much to it. I preferred Galaxy overall.
ME3 Indoctrination theory is a flimsy way to rationalize poor writing and I feel bad for anyone who thinks it's actually true.
The fact some people were actually advocating against Bioware trying to fix the ending so that their head canon would be preserved was beyond pathetic.

Tour of Italy

Closed on Thanksgiving
kiwifarms.net
I found Mario Odyssey kind of underwhelming. I still had a lot of fun with it, and I loved some of the worlds and the capture mechanic, but it felt like it was over far too quickly and there weren’t enough worlds. I know the meat of the game is exploring and collecting the shit ton of moons, but I explored the levels as much as I could and still felt like there wasn’t much to it. I preferred Galaxy overall.
I did not understand the hype for Odyssey at all. The art direction was haphazard and the whole game wasn't cohesive visually. There wasn't anything about the gameplay to make it stand out either, but hey if you want more Mario, it's more Mario. It just more Mario that looks kind of crappy.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
I think the people who loved Odyssey are the same people that love Super Mario 64 and dislike Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy. Odyssey was rather obviously a callback to SM64 and while SM64 pioneered the format for the 3D Mario games it was Sunshine and, especially, Galaxy that really perfected the format and the graphics.

• Agree
Reactions: TheImportantFart

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
I think the people who loved Odyssey are the same people that love Super Mario 64 and dislike Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy. Odyssey was rather obviously a callback to SM64 and while SM64 pioneered the format for the 3D Mario games it was Sunshine and, especially, Galaxy that really perfected the format and the graphics.
I dunno, Galaxy 1's one of my personal favorite Mario games and I find myself adoring Odyssey.

Medafag

Unironic degenerate
kiwifarms.net

Not to mention that times have changed in recent years, i mean, one of the reasons why OoT was so praised until, i'd say, the late 2000s, it's because action-adeventure games weren't that common, Zelda and probably some action-rpgs like Kingdom Hearts were the only games in the genre, but now, you have Skyrim, The Witcher series, the Souls games, Darksiders etc. a little N64 game, with all the limitations that come with the tecnology of the time, doesn't stand out too much nowadays, so i can't say i blame people who can't get into OoT when they already played like a dozen games that did pretty much the same OoT did... except a lot better

Sundae

Weird-Ass Puppet Dog
kiwifarms.net
I'll be the odd man out here, as although I greatly enjoyed Odyssey (although I agree with @TheImportantFart's comment that it felt like it was over too quickly), Sunshine is still my personal favorite Mario game. There was a charm to that game that to this day has yet to be replicated (and probably never will, outside of a remake of the game). The Galaxy games are awesome, I just prefer being able to openly explore worlds in platformers.

Still hoping Nintendo will release HD ports of Sunshine & Galaxy 1 & 2 to the Switch at some point.

Floop

Accidental Spy Kids reference
kiwifarms.net
I love playstation all stars battle royale for what it is. A clusterfuck.
Smash Bros Brawl had the best music in the series. Not sure if that's unpopular, but whatever.
Red Dead 2 was so boring I couldn't get to the open world part.

Autumnal Equinox

Your Thomas hawk, sir....
kiwifarms.net
I liked Seymour from Final Fantasy X. I thought he was an interesting antagonist. His voice didn't bother me either. I've always liked antagonists who genuinely believe what they're doing is for the good of all. I'll admit his theme in the first few times you meet him does scream "obvious bad guy!" and it's not a surprise at all when you end up having to fight him, but I still like his character and it didn't bother me as much as it seems to bother a lot of people.

Reactions: R.A.E.L.

AsbestosFlaygon

Crop your god forsaken avatar, or I'll rape you.
kiwifarms.net
I really don't get how you could feel Odyssey was over too quickly, it doesn't have the raw amount of levels the 2D/newer 3D games do, but there's way more to do in each level to level than any other Mario game. I'd argue if anything the game felt a bit too long when you're really exploring and going for everything, but that's also in part because I'm not a super big fan of in comparison to the others so I'd say that's just me, not anything wrong with the game per say. The only real problem I'd say it has is that the requirements for beating it are too low, raise what you need to complete the game from 120 to about 300 and have darker side require all the moons in the game. I prefer the more linear Galaxy games and 3D World to Odyssey, but I do still like it quite a bit, certainly a better direction to take it than making something like a Galaxy 3.

No, there's a lot of people that like Galaxy and beyond that love Odyssey, the things that were perfected like movement and presentation were further enhanced in Odyssey. The more linear direction they went after 64 while certainly not bad by any stretch isn't really a evolution of the format 64 was going for.

Smash Bros Brawl had the best music in the series. Not sure if that's unpopular, but whatever.
The music's the one thing from Brawl that I think's almost universally loved over previous Smash games. I say almost because personally I'm not a huge fan of Brawl's tracks, something about the synthesizers really just put me off of many Brawl tracks, vastly prefer the remixes in any other Smash game honestly.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Games would strongly hint they were referring to that game, Heroes would be related to him, gameplay and dungeons would feel too similar, etc.
What are you talking about? Twilight Princess was the only game that leaned a bit too heavily into this, and is in fact that only Zelda game that made a hero related to the OoT Link (and, iirc, the only one that explicitly has two Links be related at all). Unless you're saying that any over the shoulder semi-linear Zelda game is just a complete rip-off of OoT, the games in this style all played decently different and had fairly unique mechanics in their dungeons. Especially Wind Waker. I get that OoT is overrated, but just as grating is people incorrectly thinking that every game that Nintendo put out after OoT is just an unoriginal clone, because that wouldn't bode well for the trends that BotW was chasing after. You sound like you have the opposite problem of buying into the hurr durr Zelda needs to be designed exactly like Zelda 1 because that game was completely open (it wasn't, you did have to play certain dungeons in order) train of thought.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
Not to mention that times have changed in recent years, i mean, one of the reasons why OoT was so praised until, i'd say, the late 2000s, it's because action-adeventure games weren't that common, Zelda and probably some action-rpgs like Kingdom Hearts were the only games in the genre, but now, you have Skyrim, The Witcher series, the Souls games, Darksiders etc. a little N64 game, with all the limitations that come with the tecnology of the time, doesn't stand out too much nowadays, so i can't say i blame people who can't get into OoT when they already played like a dozen games that did pretty much the same OoT did... except a lot better
I'll agree that the game's uniqueness at the time certainly stood out, and it's easy to miss that in retrospect. Still, I played the game more-or-less when it came out (probably 1999 or 2000; I didn't buy an N64 until 1999), and found the game fairly unpleasant to play even then. The structure, storytelling, dungeon design...all of that, I thought was quite good. I just always felt like...the controls were fighting with my ability to enjoy playing it, I guess? YMMV, obviously, but that's how I always felt.

In fairness, there were other games of the time I had this problem with, such as Goldeneye and Syphon Filter. Even today, I'm not sure how much of this is me not "getting" how to control these games and how much was them just legit having weird control schemes.

Reactions: Sexyphobe

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
I'll agree that the game's uniqueness at the time certainly stood out, and it's easy to miss that in retrospect. Still, I played the game more-or-less when it came out (probably 1999 or 2000; I didn't buy an N64 until 1999), and found the game fairly unpleasant to play even then. The structure, storytelling, dungeon design...all of that, I thought was quite good. I just always felt like...the controls were fighting with my ability to enjoy playing it, I guess? YMMV, obviously, but that's how I always felt.

In fairness, there were other games of the time I had this problem with, such as Goldeneye and Syphon Filter. Even today, I'm not sure how much of this is me not "getting" how to control these games and how much was them just legit having weird control schemes.
Part of it might have had to do with the N64's stiff analog stick. That damn stick is bad. I have to push so much force into it just to make the character run at full speed.

I personally like Ocarina, I feel as though it isn't terribly hindered by the analog stick (Majora on the other hand gets hit pretty bad).

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino