Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

• I am killing the Proving Grounds board in a week, unless someone has an idea to make it work. (Thread) (Update 1)

Syaoran Li

Cardcaptors Christmas
kiwifarms.net
In some ways gaming is better now than it's ever been.

Emphasis on the "some ways", I love old school gaming as much as the next guy but video games are such a technological thing and as technology advances the more tools game makers have at their disposal the better.

Let's look at Sekiro for example, is that not what the 2D Shinobis and Ninja Gaidens of yesteryear were trying to be, but couldn't? Does Sekiro not capture the basic idea of "you're a ninja" better than any other game has to this point?

For another From example I tried going back and playing King's Field: The Ancient City on PS2 and while it was interesting it was also so blatantly inferior to Dark Souls, it really drove the point home how much games had advanced from 2001 to 2011.

Last year there was that PS4 Spider-Man game, which after playing I actually went back and revisited the PS1 Spider-man game I had so many fond memories of and well.... no amount of nostalgia could hide what a quantum leap the PS4 game was over it.

There's been a narrative for a very long time that at some point video games lost their mojo and started to suck, for some it was the transition from arcades to consoles, for others it was the transition from 2D to 3D and for others it was the start of the PS3, 360, Wii era.

There are up and downs, trends that come and go and sometimes a cool trend gets left behind, I can empathize with that mentality, but I also think at the end of the day it's just people's nostalgia talking, there's good games and bad games in any era and as time goes on slowly but surely things get better overall.

Gamers tend to be some incredibly cynical mother fuckers and I just don't agree with that or understand it, all you're doing is robbing yourself of fun if you're going to be such a stick in the mud that you can't appreciate new games.
Agreed for the most part.

I think the PS3/360/Wii era was one of those weird and awkward transition periods that was sort of a low point for video gaming and started a lot of bad trends that we're still trying to iron out the kinks of, even in the later part of the Eighth Generation of video gaming, but I think we're correcting course and once Woke Culture dies out fully, I think the Ninth Generation of Games will be a very cool and interesting time for video games in both Japan and the West.

That being said, the Seventh and Eighth generations both had a lot of masterpieces that stand out such as Fallout 3, MK9, Mafia II, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, Final Fantasy XV, Saints Row 2, and so on.

The remake of Resident Evil 2 is probably my favorite game of this entire console generation and is tied with New Vegas for my favorite game of the decade. The RE2 Remake along with the N. Sane Trilogy for Crash Bandicoot and the Spyro Reignited Trilogy means you can remake the classics and still be true to the spirit of the games while being innovative in the technical sense, which makes me hopeful for the Final Fantasy VII remake and I'm also cautiously optimistic about Cyberpunk 2077.

As a huge World of Darkness fan, I would be more hopeful for the upcoming Bloodlines 2, but the current regime in charge of that IP is too woke for their own good and the new 5th Edition of the Vampire tabletop game that Bloodlines 2 is based on is easily the worst version of the game. Maybe if Bloodlines 2 bombs badly enough and the new Werewolf 5th Edition flops (V5's core rules sold like hotcakes thanks to pre-orders and a lot of empty hype) then Paradox might sell the old White Wolf IP to a company that can actually do it right, but I digress.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Fifth and Sixth Generations of console gaming more than any other era of video gaming.

The PS1 and PS2 were both major parts of my childhood, but there's a lot of potential with the new technology and I am cautiously optimistic about a new renaissance in video games in the 2020's.

Dom Cruise

too... many... books...
kiwifarms.net
Agreed for the most part.

I think the PS3/360/Wii era was one of those weird and awkward transition periods that was sort of a low point for video gaming and started a lot of bad trends that we're still trying to iron out the kinks of, even in the later part of the Eighth Generation of video gaming, but I think we're correcting course and once Woke Culture dies out fully, I think the Ninth Generation of Games will be a very cool and interesting time for video games in both Japan and the West.

That being said, the Seventh and Eighth generations both had a lot of masterpieces that stand out such as Fallout 3, MK9, Mafia II, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, Final Fantasy XV, Saints Row 2, and so on.

The remake of Resident Evil 2 is probably my favorite game of this entire console generation and is tied with New Vegas for my favorite game of the decade. The RE2 Remake along with the N. Sane Trilogy for Crash Bandicoot and the Spyro Reignited Trilogy means you can remake the classics and still be true to the spirit of the games while being innovative in the technical sense, which makes me hopeful for the Final Fantasy VII remake and I'm also cautiously optimistic about Cyberpunk 2077.

As a huge World of Darkness fan, I would be more hopeful for the upcoming Bloodlines 2, but the current regime in charge of that IP is too woke for their own good and the new 5th Edition of the Vampire tabletop game that Bloodlines 2 is based on is easily the worst version of the game. Maybe if Bloodlines 2 bombs badly enough and the new Werewolf 5th Edition flops (V5's core rules sold like hotcakes thanks to pre-orders and a lot of empty hype) then Paradox might sell the old White Wolf IP to a company that can actually do it right, but I digress.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Fifth and Sixth Generations of console gaming more than any other era of video gaming.

The PS1 and PS2 were both major parts of my childhood, but there's a lot of potential with the new technology and I am cautiously optimistic about a new renaissance in video games in the 2020's.
You are correct, the PS3/360/Wii era was a very awkward trasionstional period that was worse than the generation before it and worse than the one after it, but even then there were still plenty of great games.

However it created a meme that "gaming sucks now" that we've never been able to get fully past, because once a meme takes hold of some people's minds no amount of reality can change it.

I got real high hopes for the next decade of gaming, I think it's gonna be something special.

Pissmaster General

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
saints row > GTA
I don't know how this isn't more of a popular opinion

Saints Row picked up from where San Andreas left off and just made the formula crazier and crazier, whereas GTA pumped the brakes and made a much grittier, polarizing world for GTA IV.

Saints Row 2 is my favorite GTA game.

You make some good points, and I do understand why people like it. I just can't stand having to restart over and over. It doesn't help me learn from my mistakes, it just pisses me off and makes me play even sloppier.

When designed well it can encourage thinking and planning your every move. When its designed badly it's "We couldn't be assed to make a fair challenge/our game would be too short, so he's some nonsense".
Spelunky really started to grate on my nerves when I kept failing 20-minute long runs at the Temple because I got trapped by an Anubis or some shit. The jarring increase in difficulty at the Temple made that game way harder than it needed to be.

I don't know how you're supposed to beat that game without randomly getting the jetpack, too. It came down to where if I didn't have a jetpack by the Ice Caves, I might as well restart

Playstation is 25 years old today, launched in 1994 in Japan.

You kind of have to wonder what gaming would be like if Nintendo didn't back out of the deal they made with Sony. It could have been over 35 years of unbroken nintendo dominance.
Even if the SNES-CD happened, I'm sure Sony would have gone on to make their own console anyway with how Nintendo went full rétard with the N64's hardware. Even if it used CDs, it'd still have that weird dual CPU layout and the always-hilarious 4kb of texture memory, which is why anything that wasn't colorful and cartoony looked like total shit. (Rare were masterful at making Goldeneye and Perfect Dark look as good as they did)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sexyphobe

ZMOT

kiwifarms.net
I saw some footage of IW and it followed the same cutscene -> glorified cutscene -> peekaboo shootout -> vehicle minigame -> repeat formula as the rest of the series. Keep hearing about how it's somehow better than anything but I've yet to see an argument as to why.
nonlinear campaign, stealth missions and vehicles being more than a minigame. also good story with good writing without falling victim to the usual tropes.
of course anything short of going full open world survival crafting can be considered "codlike" depending where you stand.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Backtracking is a good thing - especially if things are changed or the previous worlds/areas are used in an interesting way.

I especially like how the Kiseki games introduce you to place and keep bringing you back over the course of the story.

This shallow poorly thought out hatred of backtracking is what is killing RPGs like Paper Mario. Why design a deep world if you players apparently hate spending alot of time getting immersed in a place and revisiting a place as it changes?
This doesn't happen in Paper Mario. At all. There are some NPC dialog changes, but that's it. And outside of the hub, only during the chapter in question. This is why people don't like the backtracking in Chapters 4 and 5 (but especially four). It's just the same three or four maps with the same enemies in the same spot inbetween the more important areas.

• Agree
Reactions: TheGreatCitracett

BigTimeSamurai

I AM A DIGITAL CYBER DEMON!!!
kiwifarms.net
In some ways gaming is better now than it's ever been.

Emphasis on the "some ways", I love old school gaming as much as the next guy but video games are such a technological thing and as technology advances the more tools game makers have at their disposal the better.

Let's look at Sekiro for example, is that not what the 2D Shinobis and Ninja Gaidens of yesteryear were trying to be, but couldn't? Does Sekiro not capture the basic idea of "you're a ninja" better than any other game has to this point?

For another From example I tried going back and playing King's Field: The Ancient City on PS2 and while it was interesting it was also so blatantly inferior to Dark Souls, it really drove the point home how much games had advanced from 2001 to 2011.

Last year there was that PS4 Spider-Man game, which after playing I actually went back and revisited the PS1 Spider-man game I had so many fond memories of and well.... no amount of nostalgia could hide what a quantum leap the PS4 game was over it.

There's been a narrative for a very long time that at some point video games lost their mojo and started to suck, for some it was the transition from arcades to consoles, for others it was the transition from 2D to 3D and for others it was the start of the PS3, 360, Wii era.

There are up and downs, trends that come and go and sometimes a cool trend gets left behind, I can empathize with that mentality, but I also think at the end of the day it's just people's nostalgia talking, there's good games and bad games in any era and as time goes on slowly but surely things get better overall.

Gamers tend to be some incredibly cynical mother fuckers and I just don't agree with that or understand it, all you're doing is robbing yourself of fun if you're going to be such a stick in the mud that you can't appreciate new games.
Apologies for the rant. It was unintentional, I swear.

Alright, so I don't exactly disagree with you here but I've got a few counterpoints here and there and hopefully I can offer you a little context if nothing else. So first things first with your point that Sekiro is like the 3D realisation of what 2D Ninja Gaiden were striving for. I guess you might have a point here if Ninja Gaiden Black wasn't made all the way back in 2005. Sekiro is not a good game on account of it's tech. It's good game because it has great game design and that shit is simply timeless. It doesn't matter how far the technology advances if it's in service of uninspired game design which is often the case. I don't know if you remember back in the tail end of the 00s where game devs kept marketing their games on how large the game world is. Game devs and marketers did this because it was the simplest and most expedient way of "evolving" their video games and the end result of this was every other game basically became some bland open world snore fest. Christ Ubisoft are still stuck in this school of game design to this very day. My point is that technology is a crutch and that core game design is exclusively the thing that matters. Graphical fidelity and Game World Size are just smoke and mirrors at the end of the day.

So with all this in mind it is easy to see why some people think video games have lost their way because they kind of have. They have strayed away from the core of gameplay in pursuit of senseless bells and whistles. To give a few examples, RPGs are one of the worst victims of this really like in the case of Fallout 4 in which Bethesda for some unbeknownst reason thought it was a good idea to introduce a voiced protagonist despite their being no demand for this from the fan community and the fact that having to record thousand upon thousands of lines of dialogue for the protagonist essentially meant they had to gutter the player's ability to roleplay and effect the narrative and the world around them (which is the core of an RPG) as the newly introduced dialogue meant that the player had significantly less options than they had in previous games, so yeah one step forward and two steps back.

To go to the opposite end of the spectrum for a moment a game that I have consistently gone back to for over ten years is DMC3 and the reason for this is by no means nostalgia but simply because the game was undeniably better than anything else that was being released within the action genre and it wasn't until 14 years after it's release with DMC5 that their was another game that I felt was on par. You brought up the Spiderman game which was great btw, an 8.5/10 from me, but if I were to compare that to DMC3 in terms of the action genre then when it comes to mechanical depth, challenge vs rewards and game responsiveness (I mean like input delay, enemy AI etc) then DMC3 takes the cake and Spiderman only has better mobility to offer in terms of gameplay at least, it obviously has better graphics and a better world to explore, but if I want to play an action game I will still opt for DMC3 which is honestly disheartening, I would rather there were more games that could compete with an action game released in 2005.

To go on to your point about nostalgia, you are not at all wrong there. I was having a discussion about video game aesthetics with a friend of mine who grew up on the PS1 and he was the very first person I have ever met who argued the point that PS1 era graphics were actually the bees knees all along. He made the point that in regards to fixed camera angles the designers were able to add a lot of character and charm to every screen of the game and that fixed camera angle made it possible for the designers to near perfectly convey things like tension and suspension in games like the old RE games and Silent Hill and honestly he made a pretty good case but like fucking come on PS1 games look like shit. But I am exactly the same as him really, I grew up on the PS2 and if you are asking me MGS3 is like peak video game aesthetics and to my eyes that is how video games really ought to look. In my opinion at least at the end of the PS2 era was when graphics hit this sweet spot where things looked really cool but also still looked liked video games as opposed to like CGI movies or something that is otherwise considered as "not video games" in my lizard brain which is a stupid and subjective way of thinking but I imagine a fair number of people think similarly, in so much as games should look similar to how they looked whenever they were first introduced to them, and it's just one of dumb rose tinted glasses sort of things.

However, I do want to make one more point about this and that is that I absolutely detest this industry obsession with mocap technology. I fucking hate TV with a passion and have done ever since I was a kid and I don't much care for movies either for that matter so as a fan of video games it really warms the cockles of my heart to turn on a new video game to see some fucking second rate actor who I would otherwise do everything I can to avoid staring back at me. As DSP might say Fuck You Kojima! Fuck you! Honestly though this industry obsession directly limits the potential creativity to design new and interesting characters that can only exist in the medium of video games. Do you remember how we used to have fun characters like Crash and Sly Cooper well now we have Juno and the smelly looking guy from The Walking Dead!!1 How cool is that?

And one final thing and this one is real fucking important. You say gamers are generally a cynical bunch well frankly in an industry full of hacks and suits trying to nickel and dime every last one of us I wish more people were cynical and discerning and didn't feel the need to overhype things to the moon. I can be very critical of games and their is a very simple reason for this. I want good games and as a consumer I don't think I should have to wait 14 years for that. To be a little specific here the reason I think it is important to scrutinise certain games is that the game industry by and in large loves to jump on trends. Does anyone remember when the original Batman Arkham Asylum came out to critical acclaim, for things like it's stealth and combat systems and then for the next five years or so every game had that floaty fucking Arkham combat system and to this day a shit load of games still give you bat vision for usually poorly explained reason, or sometimes even no reason at all! This drove me up the fucking wall and at the time when the Arkham games came out the only person who seemed to make any sort of complaint about this was fucking Dunkey of all people and for the love of all that is holy I wish more cynical people had spoken up and spared me those five years of dire combat. Likewise you can see clearly see how the success of something like The Last of Us has done massive damage to an entire generation of video games. So the one thing I learned is that even if it may ultimately be fruitless if you don't at least try to make your opinions heard then you will necessarily be feeding on shit in your immediate future.

Perhaps at this point this may be a case of the kettle calling the pot black but I agree with you about people being overly whiny. You know how you will see people complaining about the new EA or Ubisoft game and it's like are you being serious? Why the fuck are you buying an EA game like of course it's going to be terrible, you exceptional individual. There are still plenty of good games coming out if you look off the beaten path a little and we are all sitting on a literal treasure trove of great games from the past two decades just waiting to be discovered. If you just want to play some good video games then there is nothing stopping you.

Last edited:

I Love Beef

Wandering Vagabond the 2nd. In memory
kiwifarms.net
Give me fun weird like Suda over pretentious weird like Kojima anyday
@Secret Asshole You know what? Let's throw some gasoline on this trash fire.

I actually can't stand Suda's and Kojima's attempts to drive home serious or at least somewhat introspective insight on America, when in reality they've likely never been to anywhere but California and major metropolitan areas, let alone live in the USA. I can't stand Kojima's current day liberal use of American backdrops and insertions, while Suda tries to be like The Simpsons while he nose dives the shit into Family Guy territory. In fact, a lot of their games miss the suspense of disbelief and engaging immersion because they don't know what the fuck goes on here.

Kojima especially got me with Death Stranding, and especially the factor of reuniting the USA after the collision of the cycles of life and death that caused a major universal unhinging schism that makes life metaphysically fucked up. Kojima could had put this in any other universe or setting, but putting it in the USA, wow man, that's some shit right there. Maybe it's my overt societal awareness and autism kicking in, but does he know about how entrenched Christianity and Fundamentalism is in the USA? Does he know how fucking buck fucking nutty Militia Movement wackos and the Far Left and Antifa are? Does he know how fucking hungry and desperate those guys are for some major cataclysm to claim as their way to establish their power with cult minded justification and self proclaimed divine right?

Suda kind of gets it right. Kind of. I kind of have shit with No More Heroes though, even though those games are fun. The problem lies in the fact he purposely makes "kusoge" or shit games to make a statement. I'm talking about "shit" styled stories, gameplay, and characterization. I know that Travis is supposed to be like this otaku loser or something, but fuck man, for all that I and the rest of fucking blue collar post Great Recession America know, he's living the fucking dream as far as I'm concerned. I don't see him worry about debt, and I see him always have a source of work concerning money. He lives dirt fucking cheap in a hotel with low, low rates, and he lives in Non SJW California, which is like paradise in hell. He doesn't have to deal with most of the shit of the modern day world outside of boredom and crime and his own unwise stupidity. He can get what he wants if he works hard enough, and isn't some fake bullshit asshole typical of California. So what was the problem with this Suda?

Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Deadly Premonition thankfully don't miss because they aren't pretentious hidden snark whimsy or overly philosophical pondering bullshit trying to tell us Americans what we aren't thinking about nor doing right "unlike the rest of the world". That requires living in said country and dealing with the shit firsthand, thank you very much, Suda and Kojima.

Dom Cruise

too... many... books...
kiwifarms.net

Alright, so I don't exactly disagree with you here but I've got a few counterpoints here and there and hopefully I can offer you a little context if nothing else. So first things first with your point that Sekiro is like the 3D realisation of what 2D Ninja Gaiden were striving for. I guess you might have a point here if Ninja Gaiden Black wasn't made all the way back in 2005. Sekiro is not a good game on account of it's tech. It's good game because it has great game design and that shit is simply timeless. It doesn't matter how far the technology advances if it's in service of uninspired game design which is often the case. I don't know if you remember back in the tail end of the 00s where game devs kept marketing their games on how large the game world is. Game devs and marketers did this because it was the simplest and most expedient way of "evolving" their video games and the end result of this was every other game basically became some bland open world snore fest. Christ Ubisoft are still stuck in this school of game design to this very day. My point is that technology is a crutch and that core game design is exclusively the thing that matters. Graphical fidelity and Game World Size are just smoke and mirrors at the end of the day.

So with all this in mind it is easy to see why some people think video games have lost their way because they kind of have. They have strayed away from the core of gameplay in pursuit of senseless bells and whistles. To give a few examples, RPGs are one of the worst victims of this really like in the case of Fallout 4 in which Bethesda for some unbeknownst reason thought it was a good idea to introduce a voiced protagonist despite their being no demand for this from the fan community and the fact that having to record thousand upon thousands of lines of dialogue for the protagonist essentially meant they had to gutter the player's ability to roleplay and effect the narrative and the world around them (which is the core of an RPG) as the newly introduced dialogue meant that the player had significantly less options than they had in previous games, so yeah one step forward and two steps back.

To go to the opposite end of the spectrum for a moment a game that I have consistently gone back to for over ten years is DMC3 and the reason for this is by no means nostalgia but simply because the game was undeniably better than anything else that was being released within the action genre and it wasn't until 14 years after it's release with DMC5 that their was another game that I felt was on par. You brought up the Spiderman game which was great btw, an 8.5/10 from me, but if I were to compare that to DMC3 in terms of the action genre then when it comes to mechanical depth, challenge vs rewards and game responsiveness (I mean like input delay, enemy AI etc) then DMC3 takes the cake and Spiderman only has better mobility to offer in terms of gameplay at least, it obviously has better graphics and a better world to explore, but if I want to play an action game I will still opt for DMC3 which is honestly disheartening, I would rather there were more games that could compete with an action game released in 2005.

To go on to your point about nostalgia, you are not at all wrong there. I was having a discussion about video game aesthetics with a friend of mine who grew up on the PS1 and he was the very first person I have ever met who argued the point that PS1 era graphics were actually the bees knees all along. He made the point that in regards to fixed camera angles the designers were able to add a lot of character and charm to every screen of the game and that fixed camera angle made it possible for the designers to near perfectly convey things like tension and suspension in games like the old RE games and Silent Hill and honestly he made a pretty good case but like fucking come on PS1 games look like shit. But I am exactly the same as him really, I grew up on the PS2 and if you are asking me MGS3 is like peak video game aesthetics and to my eyes that is how video games really ought to look. In my opinion at least at the end of the PS2 era was when graphics hit this sweet spot where things looked really cool but also still looked liked video games as opposed to like CGI movies or something that is otherwise considered as "not video games" in my lizard brain which is a stupid and subjective way of thinking but I imagine a fair number of people think similarly, in so much as games should look similar to how they looked whenever they were first introduced to them, and it's just one of dumb rose tinted glasses sort of things.

However, I do want to make one more point about this and that is that I absolutely detest this industry obsession with mocap technology. I fucking hate TV with a passion and have done ever since I was a kid and I don't much care for movies either for that matter so as a fan of video games it really warms the cockles of my heart to turn on a new video game to see some fucking second rate actor who I would otherwise do everything I can to avoid staring back at me. As DSP might say Fuck You Kojima! Fuck you! Honestly though this industry obsession directly limits the potential creativity to design new and interesting characters that can only exist in the medium of video games. Do you remember how we used to have fun characters like Crash and Sly Cooper well now we have Juno and the smelly looking guy from The Walking Dead!!1 How cool is that?

And one final thing and this one is real fucking important. You say gamers are generally a cynical bunch well frankly in an industry full of hacks and suits trying to nickel and dime every last one of us I wish more people were cynical and discerning and didn't feel the need to overhype things to the moon. I can be very critical of games and their is a very simple reason for this. I want good games and as a consumer I don't think I should have to wait 14 years for that. To be a little specific here the reason I think it is important to scrutinise certain games is that the game industry by and in large loves to jump on trends. Does anyone remember when the original Batman Arkham Asylum came out to critical acclaim, for things like it's stealth and combat systems and then for the next five years or so every game had that floaty fucking Arkham combat system and to this day a shit load of games still give you bat vision for usually poorly explained reason, or sometimes even no reason at all! This drove me up the fucking wall and at the time when the Arkham games came out the only person who seemed to make any sort of complaint about this was fucking Dunkey of all people and for the love of all that is holy I wish more cynical people had spoken up and spared me those five years of dire combat. Likewise you can see clearly see how the success of something like The Last of Us has done massive damage to an entire generation of video games. So the one thing I learned is that even if it may ultimately be fruitless if you don't at least try to make your opinions heard then you will necessarily be feeding on shit in your immediate future.

Perhaps at this point this may be a case of the kettle calling the pot black but I agree with you about people being overly whiny. You know how you will see people complaining about the new EA or Ubisoft game and it's like are you being serious? Why the fuck are you buying an EA game like of course it's going to be terrible, you exceptional individual. There are still plenty of good games coming out if you look off the beaten path a little and we are all sitting on a literal treasure trove of great games from the past two decades just waiting to be discovered. If you just want to play some good video games then there is nothing stopping you.
Well, I did say "in some ways" gaming today is not a net positive over gaming of yesteryear, but it's not a net negative either.

I'm sick of the attitude that gaming as a whole sucks now because it just isn't true.

Agent of Z.O.G.

kiwifarms.net
I can't believe someone would comment on games he hasn't played.
But that was about the story, you get the complete experience by just watching it unlike the gameplay (you only get 75% of the experience by watching those parts).
Anyways it begins with the evil bad guy shooting his subordinates for no reason, the loading lore tells you how much Mars hates freedom just so you positively know these are the baddies and you're the captain of a ship but don't do any captaining and instead fight as infantry/space helicopter pilot. Don't even try to pretend this shit was good.

• Disagree
Reactions: Safir

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
though those games are fun. The problem lies in the fact he purposely makes "kusoge" or shit games to make a statement. I'm talking about "shit" styled stories, gameplay, and characterization. I know that Travis is supposed to be like this otaku loser or something, but fuck man, for all that I and the rest of fucking blue collar post Great Recession America know, he's living the fucking dream as far as I'm concerned. I don't see him worry about debt, and I see him always have a source of work concerning money. He lives dirt fucking cheap in a hotel with low, low rates, and he lives in Non SJW California, which is like paradise in hell. He doesn't have to deal with most of the shit of the modern day world outside of boredom and crime and his own unwise stupidity. He can get what he wants if he works hard enough, and isn't some fake bullshit asshole typical of California. So what was the problem with this Suda?
You're not quite getting it. Travis is a loser not because he's a bored dumb criminal, he's a loser because he's a thirsty idiot who got delusions of being a badass assassin after buying a laser sword online. Literally the only reason he ever ended up trying to become the number #1 assassin in the first place is because he wanted to get his dick wet. The instant he actually grows a brain and tries to move past the shitty events in his life and try to better himself, Travis ends up actually becoming the badass assassin he longed to be but at that point he doesn't even want that anymore.

Last edited:

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, I did say "in some ways" gaming today is not a net positive over gaming of yesteryear, but it's not a net negative either.

I'm sick of the attitude that gaming as a whole sucks now because it just isn't true.
When I was younger, I felt the same as you. I kinda felt a lot of the gaming community was a bit overly cynical and brushes off potentially great new games due to all the negative shit that has been going on. In some ways, I still feel that way.

And I agree, there have been a shit ton of great games over the past decade, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, Hotline Miami, Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, The Last Guardian, ect. Hell, even games I don't personally care about like Minecraft and League of Legends clearly did something right in order to gain the audience they have.

At the end of the day though, I feel the industry is going through some growing pains right now and currently dealing with a lot of skeevy practices that are constantly perpetrated by greedy devs and publishers. Plus a lot of different game genres have either been ignored or have died off. When was the last time we've had a proper RTS?

I'm not saying that we should be all doom and gloom and act like gaming has died, but it helps to apply critical thinking and be smart about who you purchase games from. Know who to support and who not to support. Vote with your wallet.

Sexyphobe

kiwifarms.net

You make a lot of good points. While I think gaming overall is still great, one thing I really hate is this obsession with trying to be movies. Walking simulators, overly long setpieces in stuff like CoD, pretty much anything by Naughty Dog over the last decade, etc.

At least with Telltale and Dontnod games the dialog is part of the gameplay, and the first LiS had puzzles with the time mechanics. But these overly scripted, cinematic games are taking too much control and agency from the player, where the game may as well play itself. I don't get it, you can have a good story while still being a game.

Death Stranding is the epitome of this. At least with Nier:Automata, while I don't love that game at all, I can see how it was trying to create an interesting experience with the video game medium. DS on the other hand seems like the complete opposite. I don't know if Kojima is trying to make a metacommentary on gaming's love of violence (AKA fun) or if he's trying to make an experience inspite of it being a video game, but either way it's garbage. It might be new and different but it's exactly what the medium doesn't need.

There's room for both serious experiences and dumb fun, yet for some reason dumb fun in gaming is looked down upon. I miss Pandemic, they understood this with Mercenaries, The Saboteur and Destroy All Humans.

The Last Stand

Just enjoying the holiday snow.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
CoD campaigns were never good; They were just ultralinear shooters with boring core gameplay that tried to distract you with constant action movie setpieces that fall apart if you pause for a moment and notice the game is playing itself half the time.
Call of Duty campaigns before MW2 were more about the spectacle and representation of world war conflicts. They played around with character development with CoD 4 and the Russian campaign in World at War.

MW2 was so over the top with its setting and story, it felt like a playable movie that could stand on its own. It solidified Call of Duty as a mainstream FPS. I know people liked the unbalanced gameplay of MW2, but MW3 was what MW2 should've been. Balanced, coherent, and replayable.

I was surprised with how they linked World at War with Black Ops. Reznov returning and knowing his fate in Black Ops was well done. Treyarch should've ended Black Ops with II, but it went off the rails with III onwards. Horrible story, bullshit mechanisms, even worse monetization.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino