Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
Dunno if this is unpopular or if it's just unusual, but when I'm playing a PC shooter, I like the next weapon to be the mousewheel scrolled down and the previous weapon to be up. My logic is that it's like scrolling down a webpage; if I want to see more I scroll downwards. I've been playing more modern shooters recently and all of them have it as the opposite and it throws me off every single time. I dunno, scrolling up to get to the next weapon seems off to me. I get that it represents the weapon number, but when I'm in the middle of a firefight I instinctively scroll down to get to the next weapon.

Sexyphobe

kiwifarms.net
I really fucking hate people who say "they play games for the story".

And I really really really really fucking hate people who say "they play games for the story" and then when asked about if they ever played Planescape Torment, have no idea what Planescape Torment is.
Well I'm sure that's not the only reason, but a good story and writing enhances the experience. Halo, Bioshock, Gears of War, Fallout, God of War, even Drakengard/Nier wouldn't be as highly rated and popular without the good writing driving them. Doesn't have to be deep and and mature, something wacky like No More Heroes and Killer 7 are enhanced by good writing.

Speaking of which, We Happy Few is one of the most overlooked games this gen. It's buggy and a bit rough around the edges, but damn does its writing and atmosphere carry it. In comparison, Hellblade is one of the most overrated and annoying.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of which, We Happy Few is one of the most overlooked games this gen. It's buggy and a bit rough around the edges, but damn does its writing and atmosphere carry it.
I never played We Happy Few, but it seems to me as though it suffered from a disappointing early access and which didn't help when it actually launched. There's also the fact it dropped during that trend of procedurally-generated open worlds when people were starting to get sick of it.

In comparison, Hellblade is one of the most overrated and annoying.
I haven't played this one either but quite frankly what killed my interest was all the critics proclaiming it to be important due to its themes of mental illness. I don't mind the theme of mental illness in video games per se, but modern games are very hamfisted about it and the critics that proclaim it to be important have a very surface-level idea of just how fucking terrifying mental illness can be (the fact that they praised Celeste for the same thing kinda proved that to me).

I dunno, I can't really judge since I haven't played the game myself so maybe it handles it better than I think (as I say it to the guy who stated he didn't like it), but I'm still not particularly interested in it.

Reactions: Sexyphobe

AsbestosFlaygon

kiwifarms.net
Unpopular opinion, but PC gaming is overrated in my opinion and the whole "PC Gaming Master Race" types are annoying as fuck. PC games are prohibitively expensive unless you stick to older games
I wouldn't say they're prohibitively expensive, but when people bring up that PC games are cheaper they seem to act like it's across the board. But from what I can tell generally AAA games tend to be at the around the same prices as their console counterparts, almost certainly true if it's on or near release date. I feel this is important to note as while older games and indies are certainly much cheaper they don't usual need several hundred dollar PC builds to run well, where as AAA games more often do. Overall I'd say that a decent gaming PC's not super expensive per se I don't think you'd actually get a much better deal on it than a console if you want one that can play AAA console games on it.

Sexyphobe

kiwifarms.net
I never played We Happy Few, but it seems to me as though it suffered from a disappointing early access and which didn't help when it actually launched. There's also the fact it dropped during that trend of procedurally-generated open worlds when people were starting to get sick of it.
WHF did have issues as it originally wasn't what people thought it was going to be initially, but evolved into that at launch. The game was also very buggy which turned more people off.

I haven't played this one either but quite frankly what killed my interest was all the critics proclaiming it to be important due to its themes of mental illness. I don't mind the theme of mental illness in video games per se, but modern games are very hamfisted about it and the critics that proclaim it to be important have a very surface-level idea of just how fucking terrifying mental illness can be (the fact that they praised Celeste for the same thing kinda proved that to me).

I dunno, I can't really judge since I haven't played the game myself so maybe it handles it better than I think (as I say it to the guy who stated he didn't like it), but I'm still not particularly interested in it.
As far as I know it portrays the struggles of psychosis and schizophrenia well, which is both good and what turned me off. All throughout the game you have this whispering voice in one part of your headphones and it is beyond infuriating. Mix that with subpar gameplay and you have something I couldn't get into at all.

• Informative
Reactions: Medafag

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

There’s a little making of video in the game where they interview actual people with schizophrenia and other mental illnesses and they had them play test the game to make sure they portrayed them right.

The game’s not great from a pure gameplay perspective, but I do feel the story, atmosphere and character development make up for it.

In-game they treat it as her having a spiritual connection with ghosts or something and her mother was a shaman who supposedly had the same ability. (Although we the audience know they’re actually suffering from mental illness).

For $20-30 (I think) it was a good experience overall.

Last edited:

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Red Dead Redemption 2 is the most boring videogame I've ever played. The dialogue is boring and uninteresting, the characters are boring and uninteresting, and everything from the movement to the shooting is early ps2 level janky.

It legitimately blows my mind how often this piece of shit shows up on top ten of all time lists.

Dopey Cunt

Let Flygons be Flygons.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't like games that go with the whole "silent protagonist" shtick for the main character. It feels like it's trite, boring, and just an easy cop out to actually making the main character into a well developed, likable person. Silent protagonists are given so much power as the main character and it just feels awkward when everything is happening and they just silently nod at fucking everything and show little to no emotion over anything during the course of their supposed life changing, world saving journey.

ZMOT

kiwifarms.net
But from what I can tell generally AAA games tend to be at the around the same prices as their console counterparts, almost certainly true if it's on or near release date. I feel this is important to note as while older games and indies are certainly much cheaper they don't usual need several hundred dollar PC builds to run well, where as AAA games more often do. Overall I'd say that a decent gaming PC's not super expensive per se I don't think you'd actually get a much better deal on it than a console if you want one that can play AAA console games on it.
if you buy it on steam maybe, but usually you can just buy a cheaper key (even from an official reseller likes gamesplanet) and save a few bucks, not to mention vouchers and other incentives like uplay does. physical depends where you live, back in the UK even amazon had some good deals quite soon (think I never paid more than 30 quid and that was in the first 1-2 months).
stuff also tends to gets cheaper faster due to the higher competition.

as for hardware, unless you fall for the high fps/high resolution meme you can get by with the same hardware around the same amount of time as a console generation, without having to upgrade to the next interim-version like the pro or one x - most games are developed for consoles in the first place, so they set the limit on hardware requirements etc. (and even if you have to upgrade that's usually cheaper too).
add to that the perks of an open platform (free multiplayer, free mods and more graphical options) and pc being mulitpurpose instead of a netflix+games machine.

SnowBall

God Tier Problematic
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The 2D Pokemon games are not bad graphically. They’re not mind blowing but the style itself has a unique and simplistic charm to it. I would have been perfectly fine if Game Freak kept the series 2D with some 3D elements instead of fully going 3D. Of course going fully 3D was going to happen eventually but it doesn’t really feel the same. And I’m not even one of those 2D pixel art purists.

AsbestosFlaygon

kiwifarms.net
if you buy it on steam maybe, but usually you can just buy a cheaper key (even from an official reseller likes gamesplanet) and save a few bucks, not to mention vouchers and other incentives like uplay does. physical depends where you live, back in the UK even amazon had some good deals quite soon (think I never paid more than 30 quid and that was in the first 1-2 months).
stuff also tends to gets cheaper faster due to the higher competition.
Yeah, I'm from the US, so can't say I was thinking to much about how much price can vary region to region, fair point. Still from what I've looked up generally used retail console games generally go for comparable rates to their Steam equivalents. There's a saving's certainly, average usually being five bucks difference from what I've seen. Some being more like Doom 2016 which's around 10 dollars in savings over a used PS4 copy, others being more like say Fallout 4's which around 2 dollars difference on its best day. Certainly a decent enough savings, but you'd still need to be the type that's going to be buying a rather sizable amount of games before you'd be able to break even over say a PS4.
as for hardware, unless you fall for the high fps/high resolution meme you can get by with the same hardware around the same amount of time as a console generation, without having to upgrade to the next interim-version like the pro or one x
I don't get your point on interim models, even with a PS4 or Xbox One it's not like you really need the Pro or X unless you're a really big tech or 4K nut. Otherwise yeah I'd agree, a PC would most likely last as long a console generation, longer even depending on how powerful it is.
most games are developed for consoles in the first place, so they set the limit on hardware requirements etc. (and even if you have to upgrade that's usually cheaper too).
True, but that the lower cost of upgrading comes with a higher cost upfront for a gaming PC. For a PC that can play games at the level a Xbox One or PS4 can that's that's about 400 dollars I believe versus the base models of any current gen console which is 200 dollars. Even assuming it's just 300 dollars assuming on average you save 5 to 10 bucks per game you'd need to buy 10 to 20 multi-platform titles before the PC would start making more sense financially than just getting the console. 10 to 20 isn't a insane number to have, but that's still a fair amount and I believe the average amount of games people own for a console's tend to be around 4 or 5 if I remember correctly. A gaming PC can make sense if you're going to buy a lot of games, or multi-platform multiplayer titles given that your subscription would eat into that considerably, but for the average consumer it doesn't.
add to that the perks of an open platform (free multiplayer, free mods and more graphical options)
Multiplayer depends, there's still games on console that have free multiplayer, Fortnite would be the obvious one, but that would be a benefit for something like Call of Duty certainly. Mods again I think depend on the game, a lot of the particularly good modding scenes are generally for older games, Doom or the Half Life series have great modding scenes for example, but you don't need a gaming rig to play those. Newer games that you'd find on current consoles generally don't have very advanced modding scenes, but there's exceptions certainly. Graphical options I guess would be a perk, but I feel that doesn't really kick in unless you want to really invest into a good rig,
and pc being mulitpurpose instead of a netflix+games machine.
I feel like that's only a selling point if you don't already own a computer, if you already have a perfectly functional computer you don't need a second one to shitpost on Kiwi Farms or Skype your grandmother. Hell most of the shit a average computer can do can be done by a phone for the most part. Overall technically true point but I also don't think it has anywhere near the value most people put on it.

Turnip_Head

kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't say they're prohibitively expensive, but when people bring up that PC games are cheaper they seem to act like it's across the board. But from what I can tell generally AAA games tend to be at the around the same prices as their console counterparts, almost certainly true if it's on or near release date. I feel this is important to note as while older games and indies are certainly much cheaper they don't usual need several hundred dollar PC builds to run well, where as AAA games more often do. Overall I'd say that a decent gaming PC's not super expensive per se I don't think you'd actually get a much better deal on it than a console if you want one that can play AAA console games on it.
I'd say that because Computers generally had more immediate access to the internet, they pioneered digital sales. And through those digital sales the PC market was able to enjoy a period where they enjoyed a much greater pricing advantage.
The reality was that before digital sales, there were a lot of middlemen for publishing games. Console companies, the retailers, the (physical) publishers. Digital is just logistically far more efficient.
I'd say around 2012-2014 was when digital sales of console games approached PC prices. Very recent, so if anyone acts like it had been at parity from the start, it would be disingenuous.

But even now that prices have reached parity on the consumer side, the big console makers still take more of a cut then a store like Steam does, for example. Then again Console makers still finance new titles, while Valve does not. (anymore 😒 )
At the same time, Valve's store debuts more new titles than both console makers combined. It's a very paradoxical situation, perfect environment for exceptional fanboys to screech at each other over.

• Autistic
Reactions: Sir Wesley Tailpipe

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
Even new AAA releases are usually cheaper for PC than console. 50$ for a new PC release and 60$ for a new console release used to be the norm (it's more complex now with a million different editions for everything).

PC releases are simply cheaper for the publisher.
There are no licensing fees for PC games unlike consoles, which usually sell their hardware at a loss but get that money back through the game licenses.

I'd say that because Computers generally had more immediate access to the internet, they pioneered digital sales. And through those digital sales the PC market was able to enjoy a period where they enjoyed a much greater pricing advantage.
It has nothing to do with digital sales. Even though they could be technically cheaper, outside of special deals a new digital release is as expensive as the retail version.

• Agree
Reactions: AsbestosFlaygon

AsbestosFlaygon

kiwifarms.net
PC is the superior platform for one single reason, you can play any shit on it, including games from 35 years ago.
Many of those old games aren't going to run without needing a emulator, and older things like DOSBox, NES, Atari, Genesis, etc. the majority of modern electronics can run a emulator for them. I'd argue for those a phone or tablet would be better than a PC considering the added portability, a controller and a way to hook it to your TV are the only two things you'd really need to think about. Sixth gen+ on the other hand I'd say's just flat out not worth it unless you're a enthusiast, some of the emulators are solid, Dolphin obviously, the PS2 emulator I believe's also pretty good at this stage from what I understand. However a actual Wii or PS2's considerably cheaper than a PC that can play them, generally for a PC that can play Dolphin you're probably going to spend about $400, where as a Wii & PS2 combined you could get for under $150 easy, Granted you'd be going in with no thrills like HD texture packs, but on the other hand you'll at least be able to play them without the issues that emulation brings to the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: Martys_not_smarty