Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.
I don't like games that go with the whole "silent protagonist" shtick for the main character. It feels like it's trite, boring, and just an easy cop out to actually making the main character into a well developed, likable person. Silent protagonists are given so much power as the main character and it just feels awkward when everything is happening and they just silently nod at fucking everything and show little to no emotion over anything during the course of their supposed life changing, world saving journey.
It was a little less..strange in the Pre-3D Pre-Voice acting days. Chrono not talking as Marle tells him he wants his Masamune stands out a great deal less without the Voice acting and cinematic shots on Marle as she talks.

Crustyguy

kiwifarms.net
I don't like Half-life 1 and I don't think I fully understand the hype around it. There isn't as much "exploration" as I've heard people say, the game is pretty linear. Most of the enemies are really annoying (headcrabs, vortigaunts, ichthyosaurs, black ops) or are bullet sponges (HECU marines, alien grunts), and the bread-and-butter weapons ( the mp-5 and the shotgun) don't really feel that good to use compared to most other fps's. To be fair I'm a zoomer so I wasn't there when this game came out and I couldn't tell you what it did for games at the time. I am also probably just plain bad at the game.

Conversely, I don't really get why Xen is that bad compared to the rest of the game. My least favorite part was Surface Tension; it went on forever, there were mines that made me use up my valuable explosives, and those snipers are a fucking plague.

I should probably play Black Mesa.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
Full Throttle isn't all that good. Criminally short, none of the puzzles are that interesting and the story is a bit meh. Setting is interesting and feel like they could have done so much more with it.

Don't know why its held in such high regard.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
Bayonetta 2 is far superior to Bayonetta 1 by a wide margin.

Bayonetta 1 is one of the most fucking infuriating games I have ever played. It's not tough but fair like Devil May Cry, it's just pure bullshit. Chapters V and XV are two of the most frustrating levels I've ever played in an action game, and they're the biggest reasons I don't touch the game that often. And it sucks because I like Bayonetta's combat; it feels good to hit things and the nearly endless combo list allows for virtually unlimited experimentation. It's just that chunks of the game are flat out unfair, like Chapter V spamming Grace and Glory (the worst enemies in the game in my opinion) and XV's endless parade of horseshit like Temperence's flash attack. And don't tell me to get good because I've beaten the game at least 3 times and I swear it gets worse with every playthrough.

Bayonetta 2 on the other hand is far more enjoyable for me. There are way fewer bullshit-hard moments and the difficulty curve is a lot more natural. The weapons are also a lot more varied and interesting to play around with, like the Kafka bow or Chernabog. I've seen people point out that the combat is a bit more simplified and I can agree with that but at least Bayonetta 2 doesn't make me want to drive my fist through the nearest wall.

The Shadow

Last one in's a freemason!
kiwifarms.net
Full Throttle isn't all that good. Criminally short, none of the puzzles are that interesting and the story is a bit meh. Setting is interesting and feel like they could have done so much more with it.

Don't know why its held in such high regard.
Because it's Tim Schaefer game. ISN'T IT HILARIOUS?

For real though the driving segments are straight trash. It has a unique setting and some decent voice overs, I'll give it that.
I don't like Half-life 1 and I don't think I fully understand the hype around it. There isn't as much "exploration" as I've heard people say, the game is pretty linear. Most of the enemies are really annoying (headcrabs, vortigaunts, ichthyosaurs, black ops) or are bullet sponges (HECU marines, alien grunts), and the bread-and-butter weapons ( the mp-5 and the shotgun) don't really feel that good to use compared to most other fps's. To be fair I'm a zoomer so I wasn't there when this game came out and I couldn't tell you what it did for games at the time. I am also probably just plain bad at the game.

Conversely, I don't really get why Xen is that bad compared to the rest of the game. My least favorite part was Surface Tension; it went on forever, there were mines that made me use up my valuable explosives, and those snipers are a fucking plague.

I should probably play Black Mesa.
The first Half-Life was pretty good when it was first released. 3D FPS hadn't seen that level of spectacle or scripted events. Half-Life 2...had neat physics and nothing else. I have no idea why the PC gamers beat their meat so hard to it.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bayonetta 2 is far superior to Bayonetta 1 by a wide margin.

Bayonetta 1 is one of the most fucking infuriating games I have ever played. It's not tough but fair like Devil May Cry, it's just pure bullshit. Chapters V and XV are two of the most frustrating levels I've ever played in an action game, and they're the biggest reasons I don't touch the game that often. And it sucks because I like Bayonetta's combat; it feels good to hit things and the nearly endless combo list allows for virtually unlimited experimentation. It's just that chunks of the game are flat out unfair, like Chapter V spamming Grace and Glory (the worst enemies in the game in my opinion) and XV's endless parade of horseshit like Temperence's flash attack. And don't tell me to get good because I've beaten the game at least 3 times and I swear it gets worse with every playthrough.

Bayonetta 2 on the other hand is far more enjoyable for me. There are way fewer bullshit-hard moments and the difficulty curve is a lot more natural. The weapons are also a lot more varied and interesting to play around with, like the Kafka bow or Chernabog. I've seen people point out that the combat is a bit more simplified and I can agree with that but at least Bayonetta 2 doesn't make me want to drive my fist through the nearest wall.
For me, G&G are some of my favorite enemies in the game. lol

The only bad parts of 1 I feel are the shoehorned QTE sequences. Everything else is golden.

2 had some awesome moments, but I felt the last boss was a bit underwhelming compared to the first game’s and the change to the ranking system made it so that you could get a ton of invincibility lollipops, spam them and still get PP. Which I feel is a massive oversight.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
For me, G&G are some of my favorite enemies in the game. lol
I hate those fuckers so much. Their absence in Bayo 2 automatically makes it better in my eyes.

The only bad parts of 1 I feel are the shoehorned QTE sequences. Everything else is golden.
What I hate about those QTE sections are how sudden they are. You have to be so quick to press the button or else you get an incredibly cheap death. It's not like RE4 where you get a few seconds to react, no you have to basically know ahead of time and even then that doesn't always work for me.

Also I can't really say everything else is golden, not when there's still shit like that godawful highway fight in Chapter VIII or that bullshit instakill lava chase bit in Chapter III. The game is just full of these awful moments for me, and no matter how good I get at the game they always piss me off.

I dunno, 1 is just chock full of parts and segments I utterly hate, to the point it overtakes the few fun parts I actually like.

2 had some awesome moments, but I felt the last boss was a bit underwhelming compared to the first game’s and the change to the ranking system made it so that you could get a ton of invincibility lollipops, spam them and still get PP. Which I feel is a massive oversight.
I can agree that the last boss is underwhelming. The first one's final boss is one of the more memorable final bosses I've come across in an action game. It felt more like an appropriate climax as opposed to 2 where it just feels like it stops before it gets really interesting.

As for the invincibility thing, I didn't use items in 2 because 1 would penalize you for it so I just avoided using them in 2. Didn't even know there was an invincibility lollipop. I will say that I prefer not being penalized for using health items, that was fucking annoying in the first one.

Last edited:

Monsieur Guillotine

Performative Boomer
kiwifarms.net
Half-Life 2...had neat physics and nothing else. I have no idea why the PC gamers beat their meat so hard to it.
I agree with this. I just recently replayed HL2, and after playing a lot of FPS games, it's hard to ignore how many problems it has.

The physics are so janky that everything feels like it just barely works. The vehicle controls are absolute dogshit. The grenades are the worst in any game (can't cook them and they just roll wherever they please). There is no feedback from using weapons so it feels like you're just sinking ammo into a void until things fall over. All the cool weapons from HL1 and its expansions are gone. And so on.

It's not a terrible game, but my god can you ever feel its age.

Shield Breaker

^_^
kiwifarms.net
I just can't seem to get into Oblivion. I feel like I am never progressing in terms of power, and the speech and lockpicking mini games suck. I am playing a mage, but despite the college being in the capital you can't join the guild there. I enjoyed Skyrim, despite it being a very wide but shallow pool. I was told that Morrowind and Oblivion were so much better but I'm not seeing it.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
I think both Bubsy 1 and 2 are good games. Anyone going into the games with a "Sonic The Hedgehog" mindset is playing it wrong. Even though the game tests your reflexes, if you take your time and explore the levels, you're rewarded with a fuck-ton of extra lives, which come in handy during the later levels (especially in the first game since you start off with 9 lives). The levels are short too (more-so in the second game) so that time limit is pretty much an after-thought.

• Horrifying
Reactions: vertexwindi

Rice Is Ready

If you feel a need to post on my profile, you mad.
kiwifarms.net
I just can't seem to get into Oblivion. I feel like I am never progressing in terms of power, and the speech and lockpicking mini games suck. I am playing a mage, but despite the college being in the capital you can't join the guild there. I enjoyed Skyrim, despite it being a very wide but shallow pool. I was told that Morrowind and Oblivion were so much better but I'm not seeing it.
You would quit Morrowind after the first five minutes. You sound like a pleb, stick to Skyrim or Fallout 4.

Book Thievery

Literature Liberator
kiwifarms.net
Oracle of Seasons is the best Zelda game.
Oh la-dee-dah, look at this motherfucker who thinks he has the unpopular Zelda opinion! I'll have you know that I think Adventure of Link is the best Zelda game in the franchise! Top that one, bitch!

Kidding, of course. I do think Zelda 2 is the best Zelda, but it's fine if you think OoS is pretty good.

CrystalRoserade

Local Weeb Translator
kiwifarms.net
I'm gonna say, I don't find Atlantica to be that bad in Kingdom Hearts 2. Then again, I love rhythm games, so that may be a part of why I enjoy it. I find it to be a sort of 'break world', like 100 Acre Wood.

Reactions: The Last Stand

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
I agree with this. I just recently replayed HL2, and after playing a lot of FPS games, it's hard to ignore how many problems it has.

The physics are so janky that everything feels like it just barely works. The vehicle controls are absolute dogshit. The grenades are the worst in any game (can't cook them and they just roll wherever they please). There is no feedback from using weapons so it feels like you're just sinking ammo into a void until things fall over. All the cool weapons from HL1 and its expansions are gone. And so on.

It's not a terrible game, but my god can you ever feel its age.
I just redownloaded Black Mesa because the Xen patch finally went into public beta, and I could barely get past the first stage because the movement and physics just felt god-awful. I didn’t have much experience with first-person games before HL2/Portal, but since then I’ve played many more games that just make the Source engine feel like shit in comparison.

• Agree
Reactions: Monsieur Guillotine