Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
Not exactly video game, but related.

Yathzee is a stupid faggot who should stop doing reviews. His entire "I am going to be negative" gag got old ages ago and his "negativity" always devolves into "THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER GAMES REEE" or "OMG THIS IS THE SAME SHOOTER AS EVERY OTHER SHOOTER WHY CAN"T THEY DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT"
I got tired of him when I figured out his formula and tastes, which made him predictable. I think it was his Majora's Mask review where his main narrative selling point of the game is that the time travel made the game feel bleak and nihilistic to him.

Last edited:

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think Cyberpunk2077 will probably be pushed into a 2021 release. CDPR has fucked around so much I don't have any faith they'll keep their Nov 2020 release date.

I think TW3's success bloated their egos to unsustainable levels.

I think Cyberpunk2077 will probably be pushed into a 2021 release. CDPR has fucked around so much I don't have any faith they'll keep their Nov 2020 release date.
This can lead into an opinion I have.

Delays are fine, we have more than enough games that come out for you to buy something and play it for a few months before that new super hype game comes out.

I Love Beef

Bell peppers and bee- HEY WAIT A SEC WHERE'S THE B
kiwifarms.net
Here comes a shitstorm awaiting to happen.

I actually can't WRPGs due to their settings and overall design.

No, I'm serious. Anytime I've tried to get into some of the most popular stuff like Oblivion or Forgotten Realms or Warcraft, the settings put me to sleep.

Say what you will about "well x world doesn't make any sense", but you at least get to use your imagination... you know, like in real tabletops? Real roleplays? Or even coming up with a story? A world where everything is explained or requires knowledge of prior series or genre based works like Forgotten Realms and Ultima (oh yes, I am going there) are shit, because you know what is coming or is so fucking obtuse and arcane to understand unless you're versed in its shit. At least with Final Fantasy, they don't make knowledge of monsters to be known to do this or that as required secondhand knowledge and keep their shit separate to be optional lore and trivia.

And I am going to take a bigger dig at how a lot of WRPG worlds are deadass as fuck based only on Lord of the Rings and have plagarized a first edition manual of Dungeon and Dragons.

You know, let's recount all the ways that I have seen fantasy worlds done better:

Final Fantasy VII: A world where mankind has built itself a world away from the threat of monsters and the struggles of life with rapidly advancing technological luxuries and innovations, at the cost of utilizing the world's own life blood and destroying the natural environment, causing social displacement among the world populace, and governs itself under a megacorporation that barely has the means to scour resources to mass produce modern day scale war machines, but is able to hold its own with genetically altered super soldiers and a large army capable of fighting on a superhuman level. Meanwhile, the old world languishes in the face of progress. Fantasy aspects in turn here, are modernized or essentially renovated into an Information Age or Industrial Punk form.

Final Fantasy IX: Gaia, a world based largely on the aesthetics of Jim Henson's 1980s fantasy films, with a more stable steampunk and magitek theme to its classical fantasy world.

Mana: A world inspired by the likes of fairy tales, fables, and mythologizes 1980s to early 1990s pop culture into its lore, where candy literally is medicine, fairies are angels, and where its light aesthetics help to emphasize the coming of darkness and evil into the world.

Chrono Trigger: A world where you can explore its near entire timeline, allowing you to venture into not only its middle ages, but its prehistoric period, the far flung future, and even its long lost Antiquity, an era evocative of myths like Atlantis and Hyperborea.

Wild ARMS: A wild west western inspired world where water and flora are scarce, providing a desperate and yet invigorating setting to survive against all odds and figure out the mysteries behind the world that exists.

Tales: A series where aspects of the world are explained as the story goes on so you get the gist of what the fuck is going on and you get a sense of urgency and depth into what is relevant to the plot at hand on a more focused angle. A lot of emphasis on magic energy systems, and every game has a core theme to it that helps shape the world it takes place in.

Warzard: A Boss rush fighting game where Earth has not experienced a Renaissance or Industrial Revolution, and takes many cues from Conan the Barbarian and brutal fantasy manga like Berserk and Bastard!!.

And I don't shit on the movie licensed games of Lord of the Rings because it legit is the granddaddy of the Fantasy genre, and the beat em up version of Dungeons and Dragons because it is that good and exhilerating to play and uses the namesake of Gary Gygax's legacy. At least those games you get to play what has helped spawn the fantasy genre at its core or at least a modern interpretation of it. I honestly think big game devs need to stop wiping their ass with pages from Lord of the Rings and D&D and take that as inspiration for settings for RPGs and fantasy games. Last time I remember, life and all of its breadth, and death and destruction too, is colorful to the eye.

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And I am going to take a bigger dig at how a lot of WRPG worlds are deadass as fuck based only on Lord of the Rings and have plagarized a first edition manual of Dungeon and Dragons.
Morrowind, Fallout, Vampire Bloodlines, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura etc.

Granted these are all old ones made by mostly the same groups of developers, but still.

Elric of Melnibone

kiwifarms.net
Morrowind, Fallout, Vampire Bloodlines, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura etc.

Granted these are all old ones made by mostly the same groups of developers, but still.
Arcanum is probably the single most original western CRPG ever produced IMHO. Its such a shame that Troika is no more, I have a small sliver of hope that new vampire the masquerade will actually be an immersive rpg, but all signs point to it being a woke piece of shit.

Tour of Italy

Open for ToGo carside pickup and family delivery.
kiwifarms.net
Here comes a shitstorm awaiting to happen.

I actually can't WRPGs due to their settings and overall design.

No, I'm serious. Anytime I've tried to get into some of the most popular stuff like Oblivion or Forgotten Realms or Warcraft, the settings put me to sleep.

Say what you will about "well x world doesn't make any sense", but you at least get to use your imagination... you know, like in real tabletops? Real roleplays? Or even coming up with a story? A world where everything is explained or requires knowledge of prior series or genre based works like Forgotten Realms and Ultima (oh yes, I am going there) are shit, because you know what is coming or is so fucking obtuse and arcane to understand unless you're versed in its shit. At least with Final Fantasy, they don't make knowledge of monsters to be known to do this or that as required secondhand knowledge and keep their shit separate to be optional lore and trivia.

You know, let's recount all the ways that I have seen fantasy worlds done better:

Final Fantasy VII: A world where mankind has built itself a world away from the threat of monsters and the struggles of life with rapidly advancing technological luxuries and innovations, at the cost of utilizing the world's own life blood and destroying the natural environment, causing social displacement among the world populace, and governs itself under a megacorporation that barely has the means to scour resources to mass produce modern day scale war machines, but is able to hold its own with genetically altered super soldiers and a large army capable of fighting on a superhuman level. Meanwhile, the old world languishes in the face of progress. Fantasy aspects in turn here, are modernized or essentially renovated into an Information Age or Industrial Punk form.

Final Fantasy IX: Gaia, a world based largely on the aesthetics of Jim Henson's 1980s fantasy films, with a more stable steampunk and magitek theme to its classical fantasy world.

Mana: A world inspired by the likes of fairy tales, fables, and mythologizes 1980s to early 1990s pop culture into its lore, where candy literally is medicine, fairies are angels, and where its light aesthetics help to emphasize the coming of darkness and evil into the world.

Chrono Trigger: A world where you can explore its near entire timeline, allowing you to venture into not only its middle ages, but its prehistoric period, the far flung future, and even its long lost Antiquity, an era evocative of myths like Atlantis and Hyperborea.

Wild ARMS: A wild west western inspired world where water and flora are scarce, providing a desperate and yet invigorating setting to survive against all odds and figure out the mysteries behind the world that exists.

Tales: A series where aspects of the world are explained as the story goes on so you get the gist of what the fuck is going on and you get a sense of urgency and depth into what is relevant to the plot at hand on a more focused angle. A lot of emphasis on magic energy systems, and every game has a core theme to it that helps shape the world it takes place in.

Warzard: A Boss rush fighting game where Earth has not experienced a Renaissance or Industrial Revolution, and takes many cues from Conan the Barbarian and brutal fantasy manga like Berserk and Bastard!!.

And I don't shit on the movie licensed games of Lord of the Rings because it legit is the granddaddy of the Fantasy genre, and the beat em up version of Dungeons and Dragons because it is that good and exhilerating to play and uses the namesake of Gary Gygax's legacy. At least those games you get to play what has helped spawn the fantasy genre at its core or at least a modern interpretation of it. I honestly think big game devs need to stop wiping their ass with pages from Lord of the Rings and D&D and take that as inspiration for settings for RPGs and fantasy games. Last time I remember, life and all of its breadth, and death and destruction too, is colorful to the eye.
I’m glad I’m not the only person who still cares about Red Earth/Warzard.

I agree that JRPG’s have greater variation in setting, but the depth of lore in WRPG’s is something special on it’s own. Thinking about how the world fits together is just a different sort of fun. I don’t know why, but western preference has always gravitated towards more grounded worlds and stories, although you’re right in that it wouldn’t hurt to step out of Tolkien’s shadow a little more often.

I think the WRPG approach shines in the amount of variety of stories and tones it can strike within a single, cohesive world. By design, they’re meant to be settings that support an interconnected society that can produce any of a dozen or more adventurer professions, across at least as many cultures.

The setting in FFVII, creative and poignant as it is, has carried at best a handful of games, each largely focusing on the main cast. Nobody’s itching to play a game in the shoes of a sunbather at Costa del Sol. In contrast, The Forgotten Realms has been home to dozens of video games and God knows how many tabletop sessions; tropes and localities get recycled at an industrial pace, sure, but I wouldn’t be too quick to discount the depth the setting provides. The same world where you kill rats in the basement and scour the forest for kobolds has other adventures where you’re rallying a rabble of extraplanar creatures to assault bones of a long-dead God, floating in the Astral Plane, in order to free the souls he trapped in a twisted wall of horror that slowly drains their life essence over eons.

I’m not saying WRPG’s don’t have their issues, lack of creativity among them, but they just have a different set of priorities. They’re more likely to derive their depths by making subtle variations on a familiar theme, as opposed to striking and novel settings. Every single one of the games you described is a story about a special boy saving the world. The Forgotten Realms, for all it’s faults, gave us a game about a desiccated amnesiac whose primary goal in the story is to make peace with his millennia-spanning spree of being a magical asshole.

Last edited:

Overcast

Perfection has no age
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've never heard about this, but it makes sense thinking about it now. A lot of the character designs do look like something that would come out of Jim Henson's Creature Shop and some of the areas do faintly remind me of The Dark Crystal. I even looked at pictures from the movie Labyrinth and realized a lot of the sets look quite a bit like some of the areas from the game.

Man, now I wish there was a FFIX fan film using those kinds of aesthetics. That would be dope as fuck.

Borderlands series isn't very fun and its playerbase is filled with dipshits.

Levels cause guns/weapons to scale ridiculously exponentially, to the point to where you have to re-grind your entire gear set every 5 levels or 2 OP levels in order to actually shoot bullets not made of styrofoam. TVMH and UVHM's "difficulty" increase is lazy, and when combined with the stupid scaling, slag is a prerequisite for UVHM, slag buff doesn't help either. Lategame, there's only a small set of weapons that are actually viable to use. Vast majority of late gameplay where you don't die within a few seconds and don't take a minute to kill a common enemy is the same cookie cutter Gunzerker build.

BL3's story is absolutely atrocious, shoehorning in characters that only serve more harm than good (Ava), constant asspulls throughout the story, and dialougue that seems like its from BL2. Same problem with weapons happen in BL3, except there's no slag and there's a fairly higher amount of health tanks, especially with the addition with annointed enemies, which aren't uncommon late game, with slag being removed. Torgue shotguns are pretty much the only viable option for extreme sponges. Skills haven't improved much since BL2/TPS, with some skills being nearly identical to BL2 skills. When it came out on Steam, the playerbase caves in, even after they made a big stink over Pitchford making it Epic exclusive, praising the game for finally being available outside of Epic, scolding Pitchford for making the deal with Sweeney (while ironically enough giving him money by buying the game), 66 thousand people playing at the moment, it's disgusting. Game still has Denuvo by the way.
1584188913439.png
Vast majority of the artwork section is nothing but Moxxi erotica, mediocre memes, and "Yay BL3 is now on Steam!!!, completely lacking any self awareness.
bl3_art.png

Last edited:

CaboLaptas65

kiwifarms.net
Although it is VERY flawed... Odin Sphere (More specifically, its remake/remaster hybrid that released in 2016) is one of my favorite games of all time and is well worth getting a Playstation console that's newer than the PS3 just for it. From the characters to the surprisingly good story to the beautiful artwork to the combat... I could go on and on and on, but that should give you the gist of it

Dr.Pingas

I will be your doc for today
kiwifarms.net
I have no idea how anyone can be a Pokemon fan for an extended amount of time.
And I don't even mean it in the "Pokemon used to be a masterpeace but went to shit" sort of way.
Heartgold and Soulsilver seem to be regarded as the best games in the series and even those are mind numbingly boring and share many of the complaints people have with the newer games such as difficulty, stupid plots or pacing.
Sure, these games are fascinating when you play them at a young age but that bubble is bound to burst once you've tipped your toes into any other RPG series and Pokemon just suddenly pales in comparison

CaboLaptas65

kiwifarms.net
I have no idea how anyone can be a Pokemon fan for an extended amount of time.
And I don't even mean it in the "Pokemon used to be a masterpeace but went to shit" sort of way.
Heartgold and Soulsilver seem to be regarded as the best games in the series and even those are mind numbingly boring and share many of the complaints people have with the newer games such as difficulty, stupid plots or pacing.
Sure, these games are fascinating when you play them at a young age but that bubble is bound to burst once you've tipped your toes into any other RPG series and Pokemon just suddenly pales in comparison
Took the words right out of my mouth. I always viewed them as "Baby's first JRPG" for that exact reason, because once you get your hands on something like Final Fantasy 9 or a Shin Megami Tensei game... why go back to Pokemon?

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
Rimworld is better than Dwarf Fortress, and less autistic.
I'm going to even expand on that (keep your little puzzle pieces ready):

Most of DF is lists thrown at an RNG. Not even biased RNGs but completly random RNGs which lead to the whacky-zany world of df. If you try to mod it a little through the files, you'll notice fairly quickly that a lot of the simulations' behaviors are very hardcoded in very odd ways. Also world generation is basically a big stream of RNG numbers ran through some statistical systems. There's absolutely no excuse for this being as slow as it is, and especially not for the detoriating performance of the game in the last few years compared to the few features actually added which makes me think it's all just very poorly written. There's also very little in the way of abstraction of data which would help make the game systems like world generation more dynamic and easier to adjust and also would help make things a lot faster without having to lose any sort of perceived complexity. Something a supposed mathematician like Toady should actually be good at figuring out and coming up with systems for. It was cool in the beginning when he set out on this with no clue how to do anything but he's done this shit for so many years now and it doesn't look like he learned anything at all, which is a pet peeve of mine. After a at least a decade of programming you should become better at it and this whole "lol I'm just an amateur and don't actually know anything about computers" shtick of his is just annoying now. You did literally nothing else for so many years, at this point it's just sad if you didn't learn anything from it.

At least he has the good mind to realize both that he's no videogaming genius and that also the gravy train might stop any day and isn't a pompous ass like others who got a big break through luck.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Myst and Riven are still the peaks of what could be considered walking sims even before walking sims were even a thing and modern games have failed to capture their sense of exploration.