Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

CaboLaptas65

kiwifarms.net
Here's my own two cents on Kingdom Hearts: I treat it as junk food in video game form. Sure, it became increasingly stupid over the years and has plot holes that require you to play the spin-offs to actually understand, but I enjoy the gameplay, as button mashy as it can be, and I enjoy poking fun of the stories in the later games.

That being said, here's another opinion. I think the Dark Souls series was one of the main reasons why gaming culture later down the line in the previous decade sucked dick. it's due to two things: 1. it more or less killed off every other FromSoft IP when the series didn't have a conclusion, and 2. it apparently must've awoken SOMETHING in the indie scene, as nearly every single indie developer created a Soulslike or included Dark Souls mechanics in a game that's otherwise mostly a different genre.

Overcast

Perfection has no age
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here's my own two cents on Kingdom Hearts: I treat it as junk food in video game form. Sure, it became increasingly stupid over the years and has plot holes that require you to play the spin-offs to actually understand, but I enjoy the gameplay, as button mashy as it can be, and I enjoy poking fun of the stories in the later games.

That being said, here's another opinion. I think the Dark Souls series was one of the main reasons why gaming culture later down the line in the previous decade sucked dick. it's due to two things: 1. it more or less killed off every other FromSoft IP when the series didn't have a conclusion, and 2. it apparently must've awoken SOMETHING in the indie scene, as nearly every single indie developer created a Soulslike or included Dark Souls mechanics in a game that's otherwise mostly a different genre.
Makes me kinda sad we're probably never going to get another King's Field game.

• Agree
Reactions: Count groudon

LargeChoonger

kiwifarms.net
lol yeah those are qtes
You have an infinite amount of time to do it. Let me rephrase: they're automated cutscene actions transformed into manual inputs. QTEs don't have half-second pauses between pressing the button and performing the action, nor do they let you stare at the screen confused for 10 seconds before realizing you have to move the left stick up to grab a stick of dynamite

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll chime in with my RDR2 hot take, RDR2 is one of the most boring games I've played from a story perspective. 95% of the dialogue is "get up on here Arthur!" followed by various grunts and burps. I quit out of boredom at around the 25 hour mark and I think I recall maybe one conversation that wasn't mind numbingly dull. What makes this extremely confusing is basically every review spergs about how good the dialogue and story are.

I don't get it.

LargeChoonger

kiwifarms.net
I'll chime in with my RDR2 hot take, RDR2 is one of the most boring games I've played from a story perspective. 95% of the dialogue is "get up on here Arthur!" followed by various grunts and burps. I quit out of boredom at around the 25 hour mark and I think I recall maybe one conversation that wasn't mind numbingly dull. What makes this extremely confusing is basically every review spergs about how good the dialogue and story are.

I don't get it.
The only fun thing to do after finding all the secrets is shooting shit up. And you'd better have a throwaway save for that, because bounties are super punishing

emo goff

local bridge cybergoth
kiwifarms.net
Every gameplay aspect of Neverwinter Nights is terrible. The controls can't decide whether they want to be an 3rdperson Skyrim or Baldur's Gate and never seem to get less cumbersome. The real time roll system is exceptional. Sucks cause I really wanted to play it through :(

Reactions: Sexyphobe

Book Thievery

Literature Liberator
kiwifarms.net
You have an infinite amount of time to do it. Let me rephrase: they're automated cutscene actions transformed into manual inputs. QTEs don't have half-second pauses between pressing the button and performing the action, nor do they let you stare at the screen confused for 10 seconds before realizing you have to move the left stick up to grab a stick of dynamite
Yahtzee refers to them as "Slow Time Events." They're like Quick Time Events, but with out the "Quick" element that results in failure if you don't react in time.

I fail to see the point, really. At least with QTEs, there was at least something resembling a challenge. With STEs, it's literally just "Push button to resume cutscene." It'd be like if a movie paused itself every five minutes and you had to pick up the remote to press play to continue watching it.

Super Hans

kiwifarms.net
Yahtzee refers to them as "Slow Time Events." They're like Quick Time Events, but with out the "Quick" element that results in failure if you don't react in time.

I fail to see the point, really. At least with QTEs, there was at least something resembling a challenge. With STEs, it's literally just "Push button to resume cutscene." It'd be like if a movie paused itself every five minutes and you had to pick up the remote to press play to continue watching it.
How's the game supposed to keep your attention, then? Actually being engaging? Perish the thought.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
I really enjoy Sonic R. I think most of the complaints with that game are from people that played the PC version WITHOUT a joystick back in the day, but even on the Saturn version it was playable. The game has the catchiest tunes I've ever heard and get stuck in my head for days. The game should have had more tracks though because 4 is just not enough (and if you're going to do 4 tracks a GP, then at least take the Mario Kart route and divide it into "Cups"). Just make sure you haven't unlocked Super Sonic yet before you set the difficulty high to race the other secret characters because he truely is unbeatable.