Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Oh All good things, the series finale.

Edit : To Clarify there was an episode where Worf flickered between a bunch of different "timelines"
Yes, and there was a moment where a whole bunch of Enterprise-D's appeared in the same area and had to come up with the solution to unmerge all their timelines. Also it was Worf's birthday and it had to do with him getting within a certain distance of Data.

Yes, and there was a moment where a whole bunch of Enterprise-D's appeared in the same area and had to come up with the solution to unmerge all their timelines. Also it was Worf's birthday and it had to do with him getting within a certain distance of Data.
Oh shit, yeah, I confused that and the 3 enterprises showing up in All good things.

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
As much as I wasn't thrilled with Fallout 4 I'll give Bethesda some minor credit for at least not not filling the game with hideous neon haired bull dykes and lazy "capitalism lmao" jokes like Obsidian did with The Outer Worlds.
Borderlands 3 is written like dogshit but I will admit they do LGBT shit tolerably. Hammerlocke and his new male ho have very little expression of love, even considering the follow-up dlc is literally their marriage, and they act more like old pals who know they'll never want/get/need another lover than the other person.

Then there's a side-quest where you have to save a girl by kidnapping the kidnapee's girlfriend. Also a girl. It's a mix-up between two lesbian couples. Why?

Mad Asshatter

My other name was Maggot
kiwifarms.net
I'd love to have an 8 pack, sure.
An 8 pack, of male titties?

Gearbox is at this point, nothing more then a one-trick pony. All that really ever comes out of their studio is Borderlands, prequels of Borderlands, and sequels to Borderlands.

When they do try other things (like Battleborn) it's shit, and when they had a chance to make something good (like Aliens: Colonial Marines) they ruin it by pushing it onto a cheap third-party studio and use the money that was meant for the other game to be used on Borderlands.

Now because they haven't invested well in other games (and are still sitting on the Duke Nukem IP they bought) they are running their increasingly-shitty Borderlands IP into the ground because it's the thing they now rely on to make them money.

How many dumb pre-sequels and sequels are they going to make? How many spin-offs of it will they pump out? How long will they ride that pony till it drops dead of exhaustion? The world may never know.

• Agree
Reactions: Detrogen

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Borderlands 3 is written like dogshit but I will admit they do LGBT shit tolerably. Hammerlocke and his new male ho have very little expression of love, even considering the follow-up dlc is literally their marriage, and they act more like old pals who know they'll never want/get/need another lover than the other person.

Then there's a side-quest where you have to save a girl by kidnapping the kidnapee's girlfriend. Also a girl. It's a mix-up between two lesbian couples. Why?
Also Borderlands:

(that was from 2012)

Baguette Child

so tender and mild
kiwifarms.net
My unpopular opinion, I guess, is that I just can't give a rat's ass about video games. They were fun as a kid. People take them way too seriously for me to want any part of them as an adult. I have real world things like food and not losing a house to worry about now. No artificial dopamine hit of fake adventures on a TV screen is going to do anything for me now that I've left my parents' basement.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Harmonix is just really shitty overall

Rock Band instruments are abhorrent and I don't know how the community put up with them. Guitar Hero guitars had a nice click to the strum bar, but Rock Band ones were these squishy ambiguous ones without a click, which made the exact timing for when I was supposed to strum vague. The buttons were also a lot flatter and bigger, so it was just much more difficult to use than the ever-reliable Guitar Hero guitars. The GH2 X-Plorer (the white X-shaped one that came with the 360 version) pretty much nailed everything you'd ever want in a Guitar Hero guitar, while Rock Band's were so cheaply made, you could flex around the neck and hear the plastic creaking. They did feel a little more solid with later versions, but the terrible fret buttons and the strum bar remained the same, and they never felt as well-made as any Guitar Hero controller. This even applies to their fancy Beatles instruments, like how they remade the guitars The Beatles used. Yeah, those were cheap squeaky pieces of shit too.

The drums were squishy pieces of shit, too, and it was just expected that you'd mod your drums if you ever wanted to get past, like, medium difficulty. The cymbal add-ons were worthless, too.

The one and only Rock Band instrument that was of quality was the RB3 keyboard, which incidentally is one of MadCatz' last products. Fucking MadCatz of all companies made the best-in-class controller at one point, that's how bad we're talking. Then again, they did do a legitimately great job with the keyboards. But, Rock Band 4 didn't support the keyboard at all, nor did they support the pro guitar.

The microphone was fine because it was just a rebranded Logitech microphone, nothing really special there.

And I'm posting about this in the unpopular opinions thread because the community was just... fine, with all of this. Harmonix handwaved a lot of assorted bullshit about Rock Band with a whole flimsy "it's supposed to be closer to playing a real guitar" like "well, a real guitar doesn't click like you're toggling a switch back and forth". And Rock Band 4 dropping support for instruments they had just added in RB3? "We're focusing on the core experience". Just admit that you didn't wanna be cornered into wedging in songs with keyboards, assholes.

Speaking of Harmonix, most of their games are kind of shitty. Rhythm games as a whole are simple in design, just press the right button when its corresponding note lines up with its marker, which is lined up to a note in the song, which simulates performing the song in some manner. But, in so many of Harmonix's games, they insist on this lane switching gimmick where you play different instruments throughout the song for a few measures, and then switch to another one. The problem is, having to lane switch throws you off of your flow, and you'll scramble to switch to whichever lane's suffering, which won't necessarily be the one right next to whichever you're on. Off the top of my head, I can name six games that used that gimmick: FreQuency, Amplitude (2003), Lego Rock Band (DS), Rock Band 3 (DS), Rock Band Unplugged (PSP), and Amplitude (2016).

But I guess people like that shit because Amplitude (annoyingly named the same as the first game) raked in $775k on Kickstarter, which they spent on God knows what, considering most of the soundtrack was created in-house, by the employees' bands, or by friends of Harmonix.

Count groudon

Saltier than Njord's left testicle
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Still can't get over my disappointment of the Shin Megami Tensei series, their story, especifically.

It sounds extremely intriguing on paper, what with all these references to different deities from various cultures, going so far as putting fucking God and Satan in. On paper though, it's another cliché "Humanity vs Godhood" story very commonly seen in JRPGs.

Not saying they're bad games per se, but i feel ripped off a little, it was not the experience i hoped for. I wanted an ambiguous, larger than life type of setting similar to a Lovecraftian type of story, where both God and Lucifer's motives are far too complex for humanity to understand, no objective good or bad side, just a clash of two divine forces using humanity as their pawn, as such is their inescapable purpose.

Instead it's
  • God = Lawful Evil
  • Lucifer = Chaotic Evil
  • Random Asian figure = Neutral
It's made so damn obvious that only the Neutral route will lead to the one satisfying ending, too.

Also sick of this JRPG final boss trope:

"Oh my heaven! The final enemy is made out of all the evil/fear/sorrow/lust/loneliness of humanity!"

"DON'T YOU SEE? AS LONG AS THERE IS EVIL/FEAR/SORROW/LUST/LONELINESS IN HUMANS, I WILL CONTINUE TO EXIST!"

"And we will continue to fight then, final enemy!"

Goddamn
I would say that Darkest Dungeon is the only game that’s done the “[NEGATIVE THING] personified” final boss cliche and made it interesting. Essentially having the final boss be something that created humanity so it could have something to fuck with, while still being the personification of all the evils and suffering humanity has ever dealt with, and the fact that it’s a huge humanoid tumor attached to a giant diseased heart also makes it cool. Even then, one of the main reasons it’s interesting is because it’s vaguely hinted in the DLC that the final boss being Humanity’s abusive mommy might just be bullshit it made up to fuck with everybody, and it could just be some eldritch monstrosity that set up shop on earth.

I don’t mind tropes if they’re played with and expanded in an interesting way, but my main problem with JRPGs is that they almost never do.

• Agree
Reactions: BSC

The Last Stand

O great auditor of the forums...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rock Band instruments are abhorrent and I don't know how the community put up with them. Guitar Hero guitars had a nice click to the strum bar, but Rock Band ones were these squishy ambiguous ones without a click, which made the exact timing for when I was supposed to strum vague. The buttons were also a lot flatter and bigger, so it was just much more difficult to use than the ever-reliable Guitar Hero guitars. The GH2 X-Plorer (the white X-shaped one that came with the 360 version) pretty much nailed everything you'd ever want in a Guitar Hero guitar, while Rock Band's were so cheaply made, you could flex around the neck and hear the plastic creaking.
Guitar Hero's guitars were of better quality. Sure, they looked like toys compared to Harmonix's more realistic approach but they were sturdy. Also, the frets were completely colored instead of Rock Band having the color on the very bottom.

Guitar Hero should've stayed with guitars and vocals. Although Rock Band had a better supported soundtrack, Guitar Hero was streamlined and easier to jump into.

Also, Guitar Hero could've went the Rock Band route and did Metallica, Aerosmith, Van Halen as DLC expansions for Guitar Hero III/World Tour. Release the discs, sure, but don't gouge it for full price. It could've survived longer going that route.

• Agree
Reactions: Pissmaster

Aces_high

kiwifarms.net
- i loved bioshock 1 but i still bioshock 2 over bioshock 1 and infinite.

-the Last of Us was great. but i can never bring myself to play through it a second time because there's nothing else to do.
i kinda prefer dying light over the Last of us because of that

- fallout 1 and 2 are a slog to get through. i've only ever managed to find them compelling by watching someone else play them.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Guitar Hero's guitars were of better quality. Sure, they looked like toys compared to Harmonix's more realistic approach but they were sturdy. Also, the frets were completely colored instead of Rock Band having the color on the very bottom.

Guitar Hero should've stayed with guitars and vocals. Although Rock Band had a better supported soundtrack, Guitar Hero was streamlined and easier to jump into.

Also, Guitar Hero could've went the Rock Band route and did Metallica, Aerosmith, Van Halen as DLC expansions for Guitar Hero III/World Tour. Release the discs, sure, but don't gouge it for full price. It could've survived longer going that route.
Yeah, I don't mind the guitars looking like toys. It's a video game, just make the guitar as functional and sturdy as possible in order to serve its purpose. I'm not looking at it while I'm playing, after all. Hell, if Guitar Hero were being made again today, I'd imagine the guitar would be some kind of colorful, RGB lit controller with loud mechanical switches in the strum bar. Like an expensive keyboard, I guess

Guitar Hero Aerosmith made more money than any one of Aerosmith's albums, so, seems like an individual game was the right choice. Though who knows with Metallica and Van Halen.

Rock Band also had on-disc band-centric versions with The Beatles and Green Day, though they were like, proper full games with nothing but the band's music and no Rock Band characters. So they were like, proper, focused experiences that captured all the theming of the band and didn't wedge in any guest acts. But then again, you could export Green Day to the rest of Rock Band and end up with like nearly 50 Green Day songs in your library, though that cost a $10 export fee, and Green Day Rock Band pulled some of the most blantant "we removed content to gouge you lmao" BS: the game had almost three full albums. Every track from Dookie and American Idiot were on there in full, but 21st Century Breakdown was missing six songs. OH BUT WAIT LOOK, if you buy Green Day Rock Band Plus, you can get download codes for those 6 songs, valued at $12, for only $10. What a steal and totally not a greedy way to charge $70 for the game.

• Informative
Reactions: The Last Stand

BSC

butthurt over e-stickers
kiwifarms.net
Griefing is fun as hell in GTA5 AND RDR2. The Rockstar Games community needs more YouTube channels dedicated to it.
Griefing/cheating in any online game is fun af. As long as you're willing to accept the consequences, take your ban like an adult when you inevitably get caught, and not REEEEEEE about how you dindu nuffin wrong then I see no problem with it.

• Agree
Reactions: Count groudon