Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Thomas Talus

kiwifarms.net
Aria of Sorrow & Dawn of Sorrow are two of the best Castlevania games made. Aria is a blast to just burn through once you've beat it and can play the new game + with all the weapons and most of the souls you've collected.
Portrait of Ruin is actually the best Castlevania. So many fun weapons and spells, neat little details like the cake shop or how enemies react differently to Johnathon or Charlotte, and clever little bits like how the best way to take down the Belmont spirit guarding access to the whip is a technique that most players would dismiss as a joke and forget about (pie throw) which is one of the few ways Johnathon can use dark damage and whose trajectory is actually perfect for attacking the spirit safely.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Person fans and SMT fans are two sides of the same retarded coin. Each blaming each other for their miseries.

SMT fans believe that they're too hardcore and the REAL FANS because of their Wizardry Clone #1039394

Personafans think they're the real fans because Persona 5 was the best selling game Atlus released in their 30+ year history because of the "story"

The truth is, Persona 5 didn't do turn based combat in some retarded way that required save states due to RNG. SMT has a big habit of kneecapping itself by making simple shit too cryptic and annoying to be bothered with.

Besides if they really wanted an old school dungeon crawler with huge customization options and a roller coaster difficulty curve they would have bought Labyrinth of Refrain in droves. But they didn't because they only like SMT for it's perceived edginess because they keep trying to be the goth kid who is permanently affixed outside of Hot Topic like it's 1998.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
the original did have a version with the gray cart but its not as common as the gold cart it came in the boxes that said classic series on the top
View attachment 1419953
Classic series were players choice type stuff IIRC. Which would mean they came years after that commercial was filmed.

Zelda II's initial shipment variants had both. While Zelda 1 was all gold. Kind of like how some NES games still had the famicom boards with an adapter in them while some versions of the same game did not.

• Informative
Reactions: fag0t

Migraine Box

Pro-pain and pro-pain accessories
kiwifarms.net
You'll find a lot of people agreeing with you these days, myself included.
I'm surprised. Used to be saying anything negative about 2 and it's episodes would get you metaphorically gangraped. They're still fantastic imo, just not as good as the original and it's expansions.

As for this, I can't say since I never played the expansions.
Please do, they're really goddamn good. My main problem with Opposing Force is that the pacing, level design, and overall balance is nowhere near as fine-tuned as the original. Makes sense as it's Gearbox's first attempt, but they kinda crammed in too much. Blue Shift, while shorter than a gnat's dick, feels so much more refined to me. It's still not as good as HL1 but it captures the feel the best.

Oh and another thing that's probably an unpopular opinion, Black Mesa is no substitution for HL1. It's excellent on it's own merits but it doesn't feel like Half-Life to me. There's just something really captivating about that grungy late 90s aesthetic, the haunting soundtrack, and the quirkiness of GoldSrc that really gives Half-Life it's charm.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
I'm surprised. Used to be saying anything negative about 2 and it's episodes would get you metaphorically gangraped. They're still fantastic imo, just not as good as the original and it's expansions.
I think as time passed and the initial hype died down, people began to notice 2's issues and how it stacked up to the first. The weapons roster is a big one since 2 gives you less weaponry to work with and fewer "sci-fi" guns that made the first one unique. The gravity gun's cool and all, but the arsenal as a whole is lesser from the first. Not to mention, 2's pacing is more stop and start; where 1 kept pushing you through new environments as you desperately fought your way out of Black Mesa, 2 will force you to stop and wait for the story to happen, which can be annoying if you're replaying the game or if you just don't care about the story (I certainly don't; it feels so disconnected from the first and so out-of-place that it just doesn't click with me, which is probably my unpopular opinion about 2). When 2 gets going, it's really damn good, it's just unfortunate you have to wait for the story to get out of the way for that to happen, which is a problem that never happened in the first one.

2's a great game and all, but I feel as though the first one was far more engaging in terms of level progression and combat. Not to mention it introduced problems that the first game sidestepped, like characters talking to Gordon as if he were more than a plank of wood.

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Seeing all the autism over The Last of Us 2, I can't really hate on the game since I never played it or the first. I like the memes and all but at one point shits just gonna get autistically unfunny. I despise more of the fanboys trying to defend it by labeling anyone not liking it as "incels" because "they never spoke to a normal woman" and sooner or later, you'll have unfunny spergs that'll end up a-logging the game unironically because lesbian woman or some shit. Like if you wanna defend a product you consume, why not come up with a legit defense beyond hot takes about incels, why not tell people how Druckman's writing is good. Then again, what could one expect from gamers.

I think as time passed and the initial hype died down, people began to notice 2's issues and how it stacked up to the first. The weapons roster is a big one since 2 gives you less weaponry to work with and fewer "sci-fi" guns that made the first one unique. The gravity gun's cool and all, but the arsenal as a whole is lesser from the first. Not to mention, 2's pacing is more stop and start; where 1 kept pushing you through new environments as you desperately fought your way out of Black Mesa, 2 will force you to stop and wait for the story to happen, which can be annoying if you're replaying the game or if you just don't care about the story (I certainly don't; it feels so disconnected from the first and so out-of-place that it just doesn't click with me, which is probably my unpopular opinion about 2). When 2 gets going, it's really damn good, it's just unfortunate you have to wait for the story to get out of the way for that to happen, which is a problem that never happened in the first one.

2's a great game and all, but I feel as though the first one was far more engaging in terms of level progression and combat. Not to mention it introduced problems that the first game sidestepped, like characters talking to Gordon as if he were more than a plank of wood.
Same. I get Half-Life 2 was something of a game changer but I liked the hallways of Black Mesa more then whatever City 17 and its nearby places offered because it all gave me something to fight. From what I remember in playing Half Life 1, the game never kept you waiting on a story once shit hits the fan the only thing to really stop you and listen to anything was approaching a guard or scientist and see what they had to say. Also seeing how Half-Life 2 had some modding going for it, I honestly feel the game is better with its MMOD. I had more fun going through it than I did in the base vanilla game.

CrystalRoserade

Local Weeb Translator
kiwifarms.net
Mobile MMORPGs (which are already bad) that don't let players go a second without shoving a cutscene up their asses need to be removed from app stores. It's annoying as hell. Just let me go fuck around and explore the world.

yoshitsune

Late Heian period cowboy
kiwifarms.net
Yakuza newcomer here, I'm curious why? I just got 0 the other week and I'm enjoying it.
It attracted a lot of newcomers in the West, most of which are insufferable and treat the entire series like it's a big joke and a meme and only really give a shit about the wacky parts of the games as if they are the ones that define it. It's kind of what happened with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure after the popular anime series came out, but here it happened to a video game series.
The game itself is great and really got the series out of the serious problem of stagnation it used to have, especially when it came to the main story, it feels like 4 and 5 especially started bordering on self-parody.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
It attracted a lot of newcomers in the West, most of which are insufferable and treat the entire series like it's a big joke and a meme and only really give a shit about the wacky parts of the games as if they are the ones that define it.
That's kind of interesting because what fascinates me is the super serious crime story going on complete with superb cinematography and animation and how that contrasts with the combat which is decidedly more stylized and over-the-top. It's a juxtaposition that works in the same way a John Woo movie can have a serious story with silly action scenes. The goofier elements are fun but that isn't what makes the game truly shine to me.