Unpopular Opinions about Video Games -

Thomas Talus

kiwifarms.net
Zion National Park... exists. (Seriously, Honest Hearts is the worst NV DLC by merit of being really damn boring.)
Zion is the best-looking area in the game, Joshua Graham and the Survivalist are some of the best written characters, and if you're playing in hardcore mode the relative abundance of clean, natural food and water compared to the Mojave really stands out and makes Zion feel worth protecting. Plus you get the best pistol (ALSID) and armor (Joshua Graham's) in the game, and a really good light/fast melee weapon plus a way to up your melee attack speed (Rushing Water) that will let you air-juggle enemies because it hits so fast.

Tachibana

kiwifarms.net
What do you have against Xenoblade(s)?
Xenoblade 2 is literally shit compared to 1.
  • Characters control like slugs in combat, you have to stand still to attack. You have to play for +15 hours before being able to chain arts, which makes the gameplay not terrible.
  • Drawing the wrong blade on the wrong character can screw you over. Many of the item used to switch them are tied to dlc.
  • The cast is unbearably anime and has none of the charm of Xenoblade 1's cast. One character literally builds a maid robot because he has a maid fetish. Another one sleepwalks her tits into the protagonist.
  • The English VA can't scream to save itself.
  • Story is whack. One major character's story is relegated to dlc and makes little sense without it. Antagonists are just comically evil without delivery or surprise.
  • You win a fight but lose in the cutscene too many damn times.

I know people got mad at some of the characters' giant double F anime tits and designs. It's probably one of the lesser problems of the game.

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
Xenoblade 2 is literally shit compared to 1.
  • Characters control like slugs in combat, you have to stand still to attack. You have to play for +15 hours before being able to chain arts, which makes the gameplay not terrible.
  • Drawing the wrong blade on the wrong character can screw you over. Many of the item used to switch them are tied to dlc.
  • The cast is unbearably anime and has none of the charm of Xenoblade 1's cast. One character literally builds a maid robot because he has a maid fetish. Another one sleepwalks her tits into the protagonist.
  • The English VA can't scream to save itself.
  • Story is whack. One major character's story is relegated to dlc and makes little sense without it. Antagonists are just comically evil without delivery or surprise.
  • You win a fight but lose in the cutscene too many damn times.

I know people got mad at some of the characters' giant double F anime tits and designs. It's probably one of the lesser problems of the game.
1 is by far the better plot, 2 is the better combat so it depends on what you want. I'd also say Sharla is boring as hell as a character, Melia and Seven are also on the meh side to me and I have no idea why people find them so interesting despite liking the other 4 party members especially the Shulk/Reyn/Dunban dynamic.

1's combat is alright from the start, but it stays the same the entire time and the added arts don't change a ton of anything. Once you've gotten Dunban the game pretty much doesn't change much until you get Monado Armor and then Shulk becomes a buff bitch. You can just make bosses do absolutely nothing because topple locking is bullshit on 99% of the game you can even Topple lock the final boss to death. The AI is trash on half the party members which limits what you can do, in 2 the AI is functional across the board and does what it needs to do the only thing holding you back is what blades you equip to them.

For all of Xenoblade 2's balance problems Sharla is the worst playable anything in the entire Xenoblade series. Be an almost full time healer in a game where bosses don't do anything and slow the combat down (without careful min maxing) so much that you need the healing to not die which tricks people into thinking Sharla is useful when she is trash. Cool off is a very stupid mechanic too and is effectively a handicap to a kit that is already bad. Seriously who designed Sharla and thought she was useful? Melia's AI is trash and so is Shulk's, so if you want either of those 2 then you have to play them because Shulk likes spamming buster and speed instead of using the Monado properly and Melia's AI is near nonfunctional for how shit she uses her spirits. If you want them both, too bad. Xenoblade 1's AI is so shit that it hampers an already above average at best combat system.

2's combat takes getting used to, but it generally works out once you get 3 party members especially once you get Morag and can ditch Tora. 2's combat actually improves and becomes fun. You can also chain arts just fine even with Nia and Rex I could pull of decent combos. 1's combat is almost always the same general feel the entire game and the new party members can't keep up with the colony 9 boys because controlled Shulk and AI Reyn and Dunban are way too good together compared to just about anything else so you pretty much solve the game by the first 15 hours your only advances boil down to how to make these 3 even more broken together + Seven/Melia if you feel like mixing it up.

Overdrive protocols aren't that bad by endgame which is the only real issue where having specific blades really matters on certain characters. I personally didn't find any issues with getting screwed and I farmed all the non DLC rare blades even KOS-MOS. Morag almost builds herself due to Brigid and the free katana blade she gets in the story fitting her perfectly and Rex can use anything he wants late into the game. Just throw in Zeke who works with any decent damage blade and you're good. If worse comes to worse Tora also just builds himself and Poppi QTpi is busted anyway.

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
Zion is the best-looking area in the game, Joshua Graham and the Survivalist are some of the best written characters, and if you're playing in hardcore mode the relative abundance of clean, natural food and water compared to the Mojave really stands out and makes Zion feel worth protecting. Plus you get the best pistol (ALSID) and armor (Joshua Graham's) in the game, and a really good light/fast melee weapon plus a way to up your melee attack speed (Rushing Water) that will let you air-juggle enemies because it hits so fast.
I agree with your points but I still found Honest Hearts to be extremely disappointing, mainly because the main quest is fairly bland and incredibly short, and there isn't a good amount of side quests to offset it. Joshua Graham and Zion Canyon feel wasted.

As for why New Vegas is better than 3 & 4, that's pretty easy to sum up: NV has good writing and quest design. 3 & 4 largely have garbage writing and quest design.

• Agree
Reactions: A Friendly Hoovy

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Xenoblade 1's combat is a colossal clusterfuck of ambiguous shit and ultimately that pseudo-MMORPG style of combat Final Fantasy XII spearheaded where it's largely about playing whack-a-mole with your skills when they recharge.

You know what? I gave Xenoblade a fair shake twice, and it really didn't click with me at all. Good voice acting, interesting premise with the world being two gigantic mechs frozen in space, but terrible combat and gigantic environments full of fucking NOTHING. "Oh but it's a Wii game! It's amazing for a Wii game!" Yeah, and GTA San Andreas was a PS2 game, and look at how dense that game's cities were.

Last edited:

Bender

I bend the truth.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
GTA5 was shit, GTA3, VC and SA were superior, and if cars didn't handle like shit in GTA4 I'd say that game was better too.

Dota 2 was great until Valve did the biweekly updates, which meant I spent more time reading the changes than actually playing the game.

Tachibana

kiwifarms.net
1 is by far the better plot, 2 is the better combat so it depends on what you want. I'd also say Sharla is boring as hell as a character, Melia and Seven are also on the meh side to me and I have no idea why people find them so interesting despite liking the other 4 party members especially the Shulk/Reyn/Dunban dynamic.

1's combat is alright from the start, but it stays the same the entire time and the added arts don't change a ton of anything. Once you've gotten Dunban the game pretty much doesn't change much until you get Monado Armor and then Shulk becomes a buff bitch. You can just make bosses do absolutely nothing because topple locking is bullshit on 99% of the game you can even Topple lock the final boss to death. The AI is trash on half the party members which limits what you can do, in 2 the AI is functional across the board and does what it needs to do the only thing holding you back is what blades you equip to them.

For all of Xenoblade 2's balance problems Sharla is the worst playable anything in the entire Xenoblade series. Be an almost full time healer in a game where bosses don't do anything and slow the combat down (without careful min maxing) so much that you need the healing to not die which tricks people into thinking Sharla is useful when she is trash. Cool off is a very stupid mechanic too and is effectively a handicap to a kit that is already bad. Seriously who designed Sharla and thought she was useful? Melia's AI is trash and so is Shulk's, so if you want either of those 2 then you have to play them because Shulk likes spamming buster and speed instead of using the Monado properly and Melia's AI is near nonfunctional for how shit she uses her spirits. If you want them both, too bad. Xenoblade 1's AI is so shit that it hampers an already above average at best combat system.

2's combat takes getting used to, but it generally works out once you get 3 party members especially once you get Morag and can ditch Tora. 2's combat actually improves and becomes fun. You can also chain arts just fine even with Nia and Rex I could pull of decent combos. 1's combat is almost always the same general feel the entire game and the new party members can't keep up with the colony 9 boys because controlled Shulk and AI Reyn and Dunban are way too good together compared to just about anything else so you pretty much solve the game by the first 15 hours your only advances boil down to how to make these 3 even more broken together + Seven/Melia if you feel like mixing it up.

Overdrive protocols aren't that bad by endgame which is the only real issue where having specific blades really matters on certain characters. I personally didn't find any issues with getting screwed and I farmed all the non DLC rare blades even KOS-MOS. Morag almost builds herself due to Brigid and the free katana blade she gets in the story fitting her perfectly and Rex can use anything he wants late into the game. Just throw in Zeke who works with any decent damage blade and you're good. If worse comes to worse Tora also just builds himself and Poppi QTpi is busted anyway.
I played both 2 and 1 Definite Edition recently.

Half the cast in 1 is fairly uninteresting, but they have their own character moments and don't bring cringe along, that's probably the best word I can use. Zeke is cringe and Tora is cringe. Some of the blades are pretty cringe too. The tone of the story is all over the place and the silly moments feel like someone had too much fun with their fetishes. There's one moment where Pyra is lifted up by Rex's anchor, and he comments about how heavy she is. But haha you're not supposed to comment on a girl's weight.

The characters in 1 have their own heart-to-heart moments, 2 has all sorts of bullshit requirements where you need specific blades to get dialogue from characters that never interact with the main story.

1's combat is fun from the getgo, 2 you need some patience, and until you get art cancelling, I'm really not a fan. It's too slow for me. Melia and Shulk's AI are pretty trash and I always assumed you're meant to play as either. 2's combat falls into similar trappings as 1. As soon as you unlock Pneuma, the game becomes element spamming for chain attacks, which you can do on most of the superbosses. You can break the game in all the xenoblade games, I prefer mixing up my parties.

I liked X's gameplay a lot, but it does have problems, and it has a non-existent story. That was overly disappointing at the time because Nintendo kept hyping this shit up as having this epic story of this giant ship being stranded on a planet.

Xenoblade 1's combat is a colossal clusterfuck of ambiguous shit and ultimately that pseudo-MMORPG style of combat Final Fantasy XII spearheaded where it's largely about playing whack-a-mole with your skills when they recharge.

You know what? I gave Xenoblade a fair shake twice, and it really didn't click with me at all. Good voice acting, interesting premise with the world being two gigantic mechs frozen in space, but terrible combat and gigantic environments full of fucking NOTHING. "Oh but it's a Wii game! It's amazing for a Wii game!" Yeah, and GTA San Andreas was a PS2 game, and look at how dense that game's cities were.
Xenoblade is a fixture in time. When it was released, it was uncommon for JRPGs, let alone a game on the Wii, to have such massive sprawling environments with a good art direction. The story is also a JRPG fixture. Today some aspects don't hold up, the sidequests and obtuse requirements for some upgrades being major culprits. I think the environments are okay, you get unique monsters in many of the dead ends of the map, but to some extent gameplay is replaced by walking.

It's fine if you don't like it IMO. Some parts haven't aged well for sure. And I can say that as someone who hates FFXII.

Reactions: Pissmaster

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
I played both 2 and 1 Definite Edition recently.

Half the cast in 1 is fairly uninteresting, but they have their own character moments and don't bring cringe along, that's probably the best word I can use. Zeke is cringe and Tora is cringe. Some of the blades are pretty cringe too. The tone of the story is all over the place and the silly moments feel like someone had too much fun with their fetishes. There's one moment where Pyra is lifted up by Rex's anchor, and he comments about how heavy she is. But haha you're not supposed to comment on a girl's weight.

The characters in 1 have their own heart-to-heart moments, 2 has all sorts of bullshit requirements where you need specific blades to get dialogue from characters that never interact with the main story.

1's combat is fun from the getgo, 2 you need some patience, and until you get art cancelling, I'm really not a fan. It's too slow for me. Melia and Shulk's AI are pretty trash and I always assumed you're meant to play as either. 2's combat falls into similar trappings as 1. As soon as you unlock Pneuma, the game becomes element spamming for chain attacks, which you can do on most of the superbosses. You can break the game in all the xenoblade games, I prefer mixing up my parties.

I liked X's gameplay a lot, but it does have problems, and it has a non-existent story. That was overly disappointing at the time because Nintendo kept hyping this shit up as having this epic story of this giant ship being stranded on a planet.
I find most the anime antics, except Tora's which gets old super fast, fine and I find Zeke amusing as I like dumb weeb shit so agree to disagree there. The tone is kind of weird because for some reason they wanted a really upbeat story instead of the revenge fueled adventure of 1 for most the game and it is clear that they had no idea how to make a light hearted story. I don't mind most of the plot of 2, but 1 is by far the best story for many reasons just I find 1's cast gets overrated as somehow being the "only good jrpg cast" by a lot of people when only half the cast is really worthwhile to me.

The heart to heart moments in general are fairly meh, I'm used to Tales of which effectively has several hours worth of "Heart to Hearts" that are fully voiced since Vesperia in 2008 and while they have wacky anime moments they do develop relationships among the party and make you feel like your party actively talks to each other. So to me the Heart to Hearts are pretty eh, especially because unlocking them is kind of annoying in all games with them.

2's the best combat by far because the AI isn't super gimped shit and all the fancy combos you can do are quite fun and make the combat flow well once you have an actual set up and know what you're doing. The spam you're talking about in 2 is actually a fairly slow way to win and chain attacks in general are underpowered (especially compared to 1), the Aegis is actually not that broken compared to Dagas support + Poppi QTpi spam for most combat (this is ignoring DLC additions where most the drivers are useful somewhere except Nia). Hell the Aegis isn't even Rex's best blade if we count DLC blades. Arguably Pandoria is better then the Aegis if you count new game + additions because eye of shining justice Zeke/Pandoria lets you blitz things down much faster then getting the broken chain attacks. Chain attacks are a lot slower to abuse in 2 due to the set up requirements compared to their relative strength in 1 which require no real set up to work. In 1 chain attacks let you do stupid bullshit like spam Reyn's sword drive multiple times in a minute, spam topple/break to keep the enemy on their ass, or have Dunban's blossom dance do around 20% of the bosses' hp. In 2, chain attacks are super overkill compared to abusing dot damage with driver combos and spamming that with QTpi breaks. You might get a couple orbs, but going for the huge big chains with the full power Aegis is really over kill though fun if you don't mind doing it.

In 1 you have too many bad AIs and the peak of the combat system (aka as soon as Dunban shows up) isn't that great because it is just topple locking (as much as your gems allow), burst with chain attacks, and smacking things once those two things don't work. The combat doesn't evolve enough (shulk's monado arts after speed suck until Cyclone + Armor dozens of hours later) and newer party members don't contribute enough unless you bother to learn how to use Melia yourself because the AI sure won't do anything with her. Having half the cast suck on AI is kind of annoying because it makes the game feel like you have less choice in your party then you actually do. Like Melia is basically useless as AI, and Shulk is also really bad because his positioning is sketchy and he uses his main mechanic terribly, Sharla is useless in general, and Reyn's maximum charge is trash on AI. 2's AI is fairly consistent as long as your blade set up makes sense and the drivers pilot themselves fine. Even Nia who is the worst driver isn't as terrible as Sharla, she is just generally outclassed.

X's combat is just spam ghost walker and some other bullshit as most bosses can't counter that, your party is also useless because they don't know how to use overdrive properly you can basically ignore that your party exists in X and barely anything changes. It is stupidly broken as soon as you learn how overdrive works (which is explained like total trash). I find X's combat is really overrated, very fun in a stupid broken kind of way, but I'm not always interested in that personally. X's gameplay is like "Use your giant robot to fight massive alien beings? That's dumb just pew pew with 2 guns and a samurai sword dumbass" like how do you make a giant mech useless while shooting with pistols becomes the best strategy? Even the super weapons suck. The exploration is top notch though that was a lot of fun, but everything else is a real let down.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
A lot of people see Rayman 3 as the black sheep of the series, but I love that game and it's one of my personal favorite games ever. Hell I think it's slightly better than Rayman 2. There's a manic, upbeat energy to it that's infectious, and the combat is way better than 2's. It's the game I've revisited the most over the years. Don't get me wrong, I love Rayman 2, I think it deserves its spot as one of the best 3D platformers ever, but I don't find it as replayable as 3 (the score system certainly helps).

• Feels
Reactions: Pissmaster

{o}P II

🦔🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾
kiwifarms.net
Last of us 2 is a great game but it is not the masterpiece that reviews make it out to be nor is it the disaster that online folk make it out to be

Tachibana

kiwifarms.net
I find most the anime antics, except Tora's which gets old super fast, fine and I find Zeke amusing as I like dumb weeb shit so agree to disagree there. The tone is kind of weird because for some reason they wanted a really upbeat story instead of the revenge fueled adventure of 1 for most the game and it is clear that they had no idea how to make a light hearted story. I don't mind most of the plot of 2, but 1 is by far the best story for many reasons just I find 1's cast gets overrated as somehow being the "only good jrpg cast" by a lot of people when only half the cast is really worthwhile to me.

The heart to heart moments in general are fairly meh, I'm used to Tales of which effectively has several hours worth of "Heart to Hearts" that are fully voiced since Vesperia in 2008 and while they have wacky anime moments they do develop relationships among the party and make you feel like your party actively talks to each other. So to me the Heart to Hearts are pretty eh, especially because unlocking them is kind of annoying in all games with them.

2's the best combat by far because the AI isn't super gimped shit and all the fancy combos you can do are quite fun and make the combat flow well once you have an actual set up and know what you're doing. The spam you're talking about in 2 is actually a fairly slow way to win and chain attacks in general are underpowered (especially compared to 1), the Aegis is actually not that broken compared to Dagas support + Poppi QTpi spam for most combat (this is ignoring DLC additions where most the drivers are useful somewhere except Nia). Hell the Aegis isn't even Rex's best blade if we count DLC blades. Arguably Pandoria is better then the Aegis if you count new game + additions because eye of shining justice Zeke/Pandoria lets you blitz things down much faster then getting the broken chain attacks. Chain attacks are a lot slower to abuse in 2 due to the set up requirements compared to their relative strength in 1 which require no real set up to work. In 1 chain attacks let you do stupid bullshit like spam Reyn's sword drive multiple times in a minute, spam topple/break to keep the enemy on their ass, or have Dunban's blossom dance do around 20% of the bosses' hp. In 2, chain attacks are super overkill compared to abusing dot damage with driver combos and spamming that with QTpi breaks. You might get a couple orbs, but going for the huge big chains with the full power Aegis is really over kill though fun if you don't mind doing it.

In 1 you have too many bad AIs and the peak of the combat system (aka as soon as Dunban shows up) isn't that great because it is just topple locking (as much as your gems allow), burst with chain attacks, and smacking things once those two things don't work. The combat doesn't evolve enough (shulk's monado arts after speed suck until Cyclone + Armor dozens of hours later) and newer party members don't contribute enough unless you bother to learn how to use Melia yourself because the AI sure won't do anything with her. Having half the cast suck on AI is kind of annoying because it makes the game feel like you have less choice in your party then you actually do. Like Melia is basically useless as AI, and Shulk is also really bad because his positioning is sketchy and he uses his main mechanic terribly, Sharla is useless in general, and Reyn's maximum charge is trash on AI. 2's AI is fairly consistent as long as your blade set up makes sense and the drivers pilot themselves fine. Even Nia who is the worst driver isn't as terrible as Sharla, she is just generally outclassed.

X's combat is just spam ghost walker and some other bullshit as most bosses can't counter that, your party is also useless because they don't know how to use overdrive properly you can basically ignore that your party exists in X and barely anything changes. It is stupidly broken as soon as you learn how overdrive works (which is explained like total trash). I find X's combat is really overrated, very fun in a stupid broken kind of way, but I'm not always interested in that personally. X's gameplay is like "Use your giant robot to fight massive alien beings? That's dumb just pew pew with 2 guns and a samurai sword dumbass" like how do you make a giant mech useless while shooting with pistols becomes the best strategy? Even the super weapons suck. The exploration is top notch though that was a lot of fun, but everything else is a real let down.
I don't mind anime antics, I just don't think they belong in the same franchise as Xenoblade 1. I can see this sort of humor in any generic anime. Many franchises I play are veering in that direction, likely because it sells much at the dismay of that one game reviewer who can't play Xenoblade 2 with his wife around (because it gives him a boner and makes him uncomfortable). It does get grating quickly because it's a been there done that sort of deal.

I think 1's cast is well-rounded. The Xenosaga franchise, and many of the final fantasy games have well-rounded casts as well.

The AI complaint is somewhat weird to me since 1 is pretty much ancient by modern game standards. I had fun playing the game and that's what mattered to me. One of the things I liked about 2 was how I could fight and win against unique monsters way over my level if I played my cards right. 1 just goes "It's 5 levels above, nah". 2 does have some glaring issues with the AI especially regarding terrain. If you're fighting a monster on an ledge and a potion drops off the ledge, you can say goodbye to your AI companions as they will either fall off the ledge to grab the potion, or be eternally locked trying to pathfind their way to it with their anemic movement speed. That's happened way more to me than a handful of times. Luring monsters is a pain and not fun with how slow characters move in combat. That sort of stuff is "funny" in 1 but it's not so much in 2.

I played 2 on release and the interface was super ass, a lot of my impression of this game is from its release version. The map was fixed in subsequent patches but was by far the most egregious part of the game. Exploration was ass too because of blade skills. Many times you'd explore a cool area and you'd get locked out of whatever reward because you don't have exactly Element Mastery of a specific level, and when you do have it and backtrack, the reward is often underwhelming. I also hated the upgrade requirements on many blades, requiring you to backtrack to go kill 2-3 things in some area.

Sure, 1 has a lot of problems with its sidequests, but it's also a game that came out in 2010. 2017 is the same year Persona 5 and Tales of Berseria came out. The next year we had Ni No Kuni 2 and Octopath Traveler. Xenoblade 2 felt like a game that was rushed out for the holidays and it could have used another 6 months in the oven. From what I hear, the Torna DLC was supposed to be part of the base game, but it was taken to be sold separately as DLC. Maybe that's why I felt like the story missed a lot of beats, which in retrospect after playing Torna made sense.

What did you think of the Torna DLC?

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
I don't mind anime antics, I just don't think they belong in the same franchise as Xenoblade 1. I can see this sort of humor in any generic anime. Many franchises I play are veering in that direction, likely because it sells much at the dismay of that one game reviewer who can't play Xenoblade 2 with his wife around (because it gives him a boner and makes him uncomfortable). It does get grating quickly because it's a been there done that sort of deal.

I think 1's cast is well-rounded. The Xenosaga franchise, and many of the final fantasy games have well-rounded casts as well.

The AI complaint is somewhat weird to me since 1 is pretty much ancient by modern game standards. I had fun playing the game and that's what mattered to me. One of the things I liked about 2 was how I could fight and win against unique monsters way over my level if I played my cards right. 1 just goes "It's 5 levels above, nah". 2 does have some glaring issues with the AI especially regarding terrain. If you're fighting a monster on an ledge and a potion drops off the ledge, you can say goodbye to your AI companions as they will either fall off the ledge to grab the potion, or be eternally locked trying to pathfind their way to it with their anemic movement speed. That's happened way more to me than a handful of times. Luring monsters is a pain and not fun with how slow characters move in combat. That sort of stuff is "funny" in 1 but it's not so much in 2.

I played 2 on release and the interface was super ass, a lot of my impression of this game is from its release version. The map was fixed in subsequent patches but was by far the most egregious part of the game. Exploration was ass too because of blade skills. Many times you'd explore a cool area and you'd get locked out of whatever reward because you don't have exactly Element Mastery of a specific level, and when you do have it and backtrack, the reward is often underwhelming. I also hated the upgrade requirements on many blades, requiring you to backtrack to go kill 2-3 things in some area.

Sure, 1 has a lot of problems with its sidequests, but it's also a game that came out in 2010. 2017 is the same year Persona 5 and Tales of Berseria came out. The next year we had Ni No Kuni 2 and Octopath Traveler. Xenoblade 2 felt like a game that was rushed out for the holidays and it could have used another 6 months in the oven. From what I hear, the Torna DLC was supposed to be part of the base game, but it was taken to be sold separately as DLC. Maybe that's why I felt like the story missed a lot of beats, which in retrospect after playing Torna made sense.

What did you think of the Torna DLC?
My point about the AI is it made using certain party members in certain ways bad to frustrating degrees, bad AI is common in jrpgs look at every KH game for examples but Xenoblade 1 makes it especially noticeable because your party member's having bad AI is an actual notable issue. If Shulk doesn't feel like using Monado enchant, mechon fights are much more annoying, if Shulk spams Monado speed and you die because he didn't have Shield in time that is a notable problem, AI Melia being near useless because AI Melia can't use her even remotely properly can confuse people into thinking Melia is bad. Regardless of how old it is, if I wanted to really complain about the original Xenoblade 1's age I'd complain about the textures being ultra mega ass but that is irrelevant nowadays, when you make a game where your AI can't play half the party members even on an acceptable level then that to me is a problem. It ruins the idea of making whatever party you want because half your choices suck because you aren't playing the half of the party who's AI is trash.

2's AI isn't perfect (the terrain issues happened to me maybe a dozen times total, while Shulk fucking up his Monados happens almost every other mechon fight), but it functionally plays everyone fine while 1 does not and X's AI is more that player controlled overdrive is dramatically stronger then anything the AI can do. I personally find the shitty AI of 1 not fun which is why I'll never understand the "this game is a masterpiece" level of praise Xenoblade 1 gets. I personally prefer Xenoblade 2's gameplay as I had way more fun with the combat for a variety of reasons beyond it having less shitty AI, while 1's combat was always middlingly fun I was only into 1 for the exploration and story the combat was just a means to an end. For me I'd say Xenoblade 1 is like a 7-8 of 10 on a true 1-10 scale where 5 is average while Xenoblade 2 is more like a 8-9 for me due to all the fun I had with its combat by comparison with only the questionable story holding it back. I think they're both great games, but I prefer 2 over 1 outside of the plot where 1 is dramatically stronger. I played 2 on release and had a lot of fun with it, when I had a break from college I played Xenoblade 2 for almost an entire day as soon as I got it something very few games do for me anymore. So for whatever reason I really clicked with Xenoblade 2.

Regarding Torna I never touched it, I know most of the story beats from watching it and I know about all the extra shit the DLC added, but I never played it because I was busy when it came out and when I got less busy I was playing other games instead so I just never got around to it. I think Torna makes Pyra/Mythra's character not a total waste of space for all that is worth. As for when Xenoblade 2 came out, honestly I hadn't enjoyed a combat system so much in a very long time and none of your examples interested me as much. Octopath and Berseria are good games, but I enjoyed xenoblade 2's combat once I understood it much more then those games.

Speaking of Octopath. Here is my hot take regarding Octopath. Octopath > Bravely Default, Bravely is so overrated and I vastly prefer how Octopath does jobs over Bravely Default because each traveler has to stick with their main job and that means they have minor to moderately different interactions with all the other jobs. Also making the jobs only usable by one character at a time is a good thing. This makes it so you can't make spam some X/Y broken duo combo on your entire party + maybe 1 healer bitch.

cuÞbert

kiwifarms.net
For all the crap it gets, I thought Assassins Creed Unity was a pleasant surprise. Granted, I waited a few years after all the kinks were ironed out, so I didn't get all the horrifying bug faces people had at launch. I also really appreciate how King Louis XVI wasn't vilified, as I was fully expecting it to go full French republican wankfest.

The thing I hated the most is that you are responsible for catching Charlotte Corday, who assassinated Marat, and handing her over to be executed by the Jacobins. You know, Marat, one of the leaders of the Reign of Terror and the September Massacres. It would be like having an Assassins Creed game set in 1950s Russia where you are tasked with killing General Batitsky, who in real life executed the raping murderous pedophile leader of the NKVD Beria.

Also Elise, being an exception to a overwhelming rule of western games having hideous female characters
assassins_creed_unity_elise_1.jpg

Last edited:

Iwasamwillbe

Imperator Caesar Augustus
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I fucking hate Nintendo. Their low IQ, childish, baby brained, perpetually 8 years old fan boys are the single biggest group of insufferable twats on planet earth. Worse than Apple fanbois. Nintendo havent had an original idea since the SNES and every first party Nintendo game since the N64 has been shit. If I were supreme leader I'd put anyone guilty of Nintendo ownership into a work camp.
Nintendo >>>>>> Snoy and Microdick combined

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Nintendo >>>>>> Snoy and Microdick combined
I mean in terms of annoying fans you're absolutely correct.

Animal Crossing and Smash brothers fans are a plague. Pokemon is also bad too.

The fact that these idiots ensured that Dragon Quest 11 sold terribly on the system but allowed Gamefreak to release a half finished game for 60 dollars that sold millions, sealed their fate.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Seeing as Nintendo owns 1/3 of Pokemon Company, they probably don't give a flying fuck what Game Freak wants to shit out onto their consoles because they know the name alone will sell like gangbusters.
This is also what depresses me about the new Paper mario game.

Like you can tell that the bare minimum of effort went into it. And we not only have other paper mario games to grade it by, we have other fucking mario spin offs.

Games like Super Mario kart and Mario kart 64 are legendary because the development team went as far as building scale RC cars to test out ideas before they bothered to start programming. Like there is a level of love and care that is clearly missing shit like the new Paper mario game is just coasting on legacy.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
Finally finished Doom Eternal and I must say, whatever Doom 2016 made right, this one turned it into shit.

• Doom 2016 ends with Hayden betraying Doomslayer and teleporting him elsewhere. Doom Eternal begins with Doomslayer in some fucking Justice League space base with AI from 2016 and the Earth being almost entirely destroyed by demons. Wait, what? Did I miss a game between these two? Yes, it is probably in the lore tab, but I am still yet to get there and I want to know what the fuck is happening. The first trailer had Doomslayer walking through Hell with demons around him, it would've been the perfect premise - you fight through Hell, where Hayden put you, find your way to Mars, only to find that it is even more fucked now and demons are attacking Earth, so you have to undo what Hayden has done.
  • Say what you will, but the plot and narrative of Doom 2016 were almost perfect for the shooter. It had perfect amount of information, not too little, not too much. The protagonist was interacting only with few characters, established by the plot. Yes, it had weak antagonist and it probably would've been better, if final boss was Hayden, but ok. That game was about demons on Mars and the only places you were visiting were Mars and Hell, which is perfectly fine by me. Eternal on the other hand dumps a fuckton of new lore, even aside from notes and audilogs, establishes main antagonist in the first fucking mission with clished "oh, you won't stop me" speech, throws new plotlines, that go to nowhere and forces you to travel through multiple dimensions, which prevented me from appreciating any of them.
  • Connection between installments is almost non-existent. What was Doomslayer doing all this time, when demons were fucking Earth? Why new masters of Doomslayer didn't save him from Hell, if he is so valuable? Hayden was able to do this and they weren't? It was said, that DS killed Titan and Hell, forcing demons to retreat, but then you find a Titan, killed by crucible, in alien dimension and Hayden says, that DS killed him. If aliens need argent energy too, why the fuck they allowed Hayden to drain it from Hell?
  • Narrative and pacing of this game by itself is horrendous. Your mission for almost all entirety of game is established in the first mission - you have to kill three priests to stop the invasion. Ok, when do you kill the first one? In the same fucking first mission, right after you are told what keys to press and what chainsaw does! Then they probably realized, that game seems too short, so they added more bullshit - now you don't know where the other two are, so you have to find magic thingy to see them. Ok, you find the next one, but instead of teleporting the fuck out, like he did in the first mission, he just begs and then dies. After that main antagonist fucks with your base, but doesn't try to kill you, of course. Why, even though it is obvious that DS isn't going to stop? Hell if I knew. Now you can't find the last priest, for some fucking reason, so you go to just casually kill demons and shit. Why didn't DS do this before, when demons were fuckinh Earth, even though this one little on the global scale interaction helped immensely? Hell if I knew. Only after this you realize, that Hayden may know where the priest is and for some fucking reason he knows. You need to get to the ancient city in the core of Mars to get there. How do you do this? By blowing a fucking planet! I'm more surprised, that the antagonist didn't do it first, just to prevent you from getting there. Ok, you get there and, wow, priest is there. Why didn't she hide both of them there, you may ask? Hell if I knew. Also, why the main antagonist didn't just keep them around herself? She is the penultimate boss, she would've done better job, than these two did. But then antagonist finally fucks your base and leaves you to die. The only problem is that now you have crucible to fix this, of-fucking-course. Then you have to kill Icon of Sin, but when you think that the game is finally over, turns out, that there are 3 more missions and it's so fucking draining. You do some pointless shit just to get to the final boss, when the game should have ended an hour ago.
  • Doomslayer has turned from vicious psycho, who hates demons so much, that they made up legends about him, into some clished champion of humanity and even though in the 2016 he was a figure so misterious, that even demons didn't know what to think about him, now he is just one of many hunters from another dimension, who was just angry enough to beat the shit out of people on the arena and got some upgrades for that. I couldn't give less of a fuck about his backstory, because it was so poorly presented.
  • Finally, gameplay. I'll start with the excess of platforming. No, really, it's everywhere. Yes, 2016 had some of it too, but it was presented as the part of surroundings, obstacle. Here it is some gimmicky shit, that simply doesn't belong. I mean, why the fuck there are flaming swinging chains and falling platforms above the pits of lava in Hell? Why there are identical walls with holes in hell, on Earth and on Mars? Why there are flying coffins on North pole? It ruins pacing and gets repetative after a while. Also, there are buttons, that you need to punch and glowing points that you need to shoot. No, really, this turns this FPS into some Sonic\Mario shit.
  • Levels are ok, but further I went, the more I realized, that it is like Call of Duty, where multiplayer maps are stiched together in singleplayer campaign. Even secrets went from "fuck, how can I get there?" to "there is a wall with cracks, I wonder what I can do with it". Like really, I could see that they were giving a fuck less and less, until secrets started to lay almost right in the open. Some design decisions are really questionable. In the end you tediously activate three teleport rings and then you need to get to the elevator, which is behind lazer beams. To turn them off you need to jump into water pool with dead alien, dive to the bottom, break a wall, so water could go away and then push a button. Why am I bitching? This room is right next to this elevator. It isn't elaborate or challenging, it's just a waste of time. Also, I was pretty fucking tired by the enemies pushing me from arena into the abyss.
  • Difficulty curve is strange. I played on Ultra-Nightmare and at first I was frustrated by the lack of ammo and health and because I died a lot. After I got more guns, upgrades and expirience, the game suddenly turned into a chore. I knew how to play to stay alive, but it wasn't fun, because of the next point.
  • New approach to combat is understandable on one hand, but completely retarded on the other, and these two points are devided by something around 5 hours of playing this game. Yes, your ammo is scarce as fuck here, demons have weak points and other weaknesses, so you could kill then in easier ways and you die faster in general. You may think, that it forces you to change weapons a lot, react faster and plan your combat by using chainsaw, that refills by itself now, to get ammo and flamethrower to get armor, and at first it's kinda true, but then you notice that wherever you fight, there is always a couple of zombies wandering around and if you kill them, the game will spawn more until this encounter is done. Yeah, you that right, you don't have to worry about health and ammo, you will get them eventually anyway. That's why changing weapons stops working eventually, when you upgrade your ammo capacity. Yes, you can shoot off Mancubuses hands and Revenant's cannons, you can make Cacodemons choke on grenades, but it all doesn't matter after you get fully upgraded supershotgun. Now you can just pin them with a hook, shoot 2-3 times and it's done, chainsaw some poor zombie, repeat until they are all dead. Oh, the irony! All this effort to prevent people from fucking every demon with this weapon and it still didn't help. The only thing that's left is destroying shields with plasmagun, but why not, if they explode, thus killing extra demons?
  • There are too many weapons now and they hardly complement each other. The first shotgun is good until you get heavy rifle (is better at shooting off cannons from spiders with a scope and damaging weaker enemies enough for the glory kill) and supershotgun (is better at killing everything at all, so why would you waste shells). Ballista is good for killing flying demons, but there aren't many of these around and it's hard to use it's second mod to cut through crowds, so you better save the ammo for plasmagun (also, killing them with supershotgun is easy, because of a hook). Grenades are good, but there is also rocket launcher, which reloads with the one swing of chainsaw. BFG has always been "fuck, there are too many demons" button for me, so I don't see the reason to use Unmaykr, especially because you can unlock it only by the end of the game and with BFG you don't need to aim much. Crucible could be good, if there was a way to refill it, like blood punch, otherwise it is just an endgame gimmick weapon - go through entire map looking for energy cells just to quickly kill 3-5 demons after that. It is usable only during the final boss battle. Flamethrower is almost useless in my opinion, because at first you have only 50 points of armor and any demon can take them away with few attacks. Yes, you can upgrade it, but I and probably any other player went for ammo capacity first, then for health and for the armor in the end. Cryogrenade freezes demons for a very short amount of time and honestly the shockwave from the ordinary grenade is more useful.
  • New and new old demons. Why the demon, that teleports behind you, takes 3 fuel points to chainsaw, if it is the size of imp or zombie? Why Archville takes so many shots to kill? Hell, he has a teleport, but he is even spongier than that fucker on the platform and Marauder. And fucking Marauder... He is not challenging, "wait for green, strafe, shoot, shoot again, repeat" is the opposite of challenge, it is just irritating, especially if there are other demons, that you are trying to kill, but he covers them with his fucking shield. I swear to God, the game throws him at you, when it doesn't know what else to do. Also, Cyberdemon is criminally underrepresented here, they'd better use them instead of Marauders. Drones on the other hand break the game entirely. One shot to the head and you are healed with full ammo - I couldn't ask for more.
  • Because of the way this game spawns demons, the only way to survive on arenas is either jump and strafe untill you run away from the crowd and then kill the first demon that catches up or jump and strafe around while shooting at random and throwing grenades. It gets old pretty fast, when there is no meaningful way to fight.
  • Difficulty curve of the secret arenas is even stranger. I got stuck at second one to the point of skipping it, then I went back after 2 levels and finished it. After that I had 0 problems with them, yes, I died, but after couple of tries it was done. And I can't say they were easier, no, they were flooded with demons, one even had 2 Cyberdemons the next encounter like this was only on the last level and I still made it. Also, it's too bad that they introduce new enemies early in the game.
  • Most of the upgrades for the battlesuit are trash. Why the hell would I need respawning red barrels? Why would I need upgrades for opening the map further, if I can just buy one, that shows where all the secrets are? Why would I need acceleration on pipes, if it works well enough without it? Also, I'm pretty sure, that there are more pretorian points that you can spend on your upgrades.
  • The fight with Icon of Sin itself is ok, but because game spawns a fuckton of demons, it gets tedious and too long. Fuck, both times I died there not because of the boss, but because I've tried to slice Pain elemental with crucible, but for some fucking reason it failed to registered and I got raped from all directions.
  • New tracks are not that bad, but really, after Doom 2016 they are really disappointing. Can't even say I remember any of them, except one from main menu.

I probably can point a couple of things more, but I'll stop here. Can't say I disliked this game entirely, but still I'm disappointed.

Last edited:

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Atlus made the new SMTV really resemble persona. You have edgy highschooler reaching out and taking the hand of the ethereal. Just like in persona. I just hope the dungeons don't look like ass, because everything looks bland as fuck and the enemies are all model re-uses of P5 so there's really no excuse to skimp on art direction and level design. At this point the series differences are pretty null and void, just like Tom Clancy books being all pretty much the same thing.

Also faggots keep bitching about Matador being a wall but holy fuck there's been like dozens of harder RPG bosses that have come out since then. Get with the fucking times. The first two games are apparently being remastered as well along with 3(Ps4 trophy lists have arisen for 1,2, and 3) but if it's just like Dragon Quest they're going to be the fucking IOS ports for the 2d games and America probably won't fucking get them.

I fully expect the series to do mediocre numbers because fucking Switchlets don't come out for anything outside of things they know and can clap at.

But I will be buying the special edition of everything day one.